Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gangland Shootings part 4 - Read OP before posting - updated 30/12/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

You make valid point, quite interesting. I cannot say I agree with legalising drugs, but it should be debated alright. All discussion on this would be better than the current way or methods the country have in place. This forum of "gangland" and the crime we discuss, its all based on drugs, I mean the crimes have all their routes based on drugs whether its turf war, feuds, revenge, etc., all drug related, it does deserve an open debate. True ðŸ‘

My point is, we cannot stop drug cartels like Kinahans for example unless we change our focus areas. Ireland is an incredibly old skool country - we won’t decriminalise anytime soon therefore we will continue to have gangland problems as profits are there to be made.

If DK, Gerry or BIG for example did happen to be caught for moving weight than someone will quickly slot in. It won’t fix the drug issues we face in this country. Decriminalisation will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rural.king

Sligo is a big town with a very busy nightlife, especially when college is happening, there's a lot of money to be made in it, Irwin was s millionaire at one stage wasn't he?

Well him and hughie were definitely living like millionaires round town for a long time. I heard Patrick is in Dublin now and he’s in with the kinahan‘s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭stingrayed

I forsee an EAW for the penguin soon 11m ledger found , CAB been very busy this morning, and Dee Dee been hit also.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Kaisersosay

theballz wrote: »
    My point is, we cannot stop drug cartels like Kinahans for example unless we change our focus areas. Ireland is an incredibly old skool country - we won’t decriminalise anytime soon therefore we will continue to have gangland problems as profits are there to be made.

If DK, Gerry or BIG for example did happen to be caught for moving weight than someone will quickly slot in. It won’t fix the drug issues we face in this country. Decriminalisation will.
    Decriminalisation won't fix it on its own. It hasn't in Portugal 20 years on. Although I do agree it would be a welcome step. I'd safely say that 99 percent of people in Ireland who take drugs aren't worried one bit that they may be commiting a criminal offence.

It's fair to say that successive Governments in Ireland have failed miserably to sort out the drug problem since the intro of heroin c. 40 years ago.
    Way too much emphasis is placed on limiting supply... and not nearly enough on reducing demand. There are very few heroin addicts in UCD... and lots in Inner City Flats complexes. I could go on but won't clog the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Decriminalisation won't fix it on its own. It hasn't in Portugal 20 years on. Although I do agree it would be a welcome step. I'd safely say that 99 percent of people in Ireland who take drugs aren't worried one bit that they may be commiting a criminal offence.

It's fair to say that successive Governments in Ireland have failed miserably to sort out the drug problem since the intro of heroin c. 40 years ago.
    Way too much emphasis is placed on limiting supply... and not nearly enough on reducing demand. There are very few heroin addicts in UCD... and lots in Inner City Flats complexes. I could go on but won't clog the thread.

Portugals policy HASN'T worked?

According to who? I can't find a reliable source to back that up. Scholarly and media reports claim nothing but success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

kicked in the wrong front door in the wee hours and nearly got himself shot

Bop? cant imagine him doing that getting it done maybe. Any idea what over?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭BoojumBum

“Ahh sure that’s boxing for ya”
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/boxer-big-joe-egan-says-24038122.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Boxer 'Big' Joe Egan says 'Leave my pal Gerry Hutch alone' as gardai hunt for the notorious criminal over Regency attack

Ya couldn’t make this up ffs

But Mr Egan, who was also pals with the late Mr Byrne and with mob boss Daniel Kinahan, says the now infamous February 2016 gangland murder was “wrong on every level.”

“David Byrne was my friend and I know his Dad Jaws Byrne since I was a little boy.

“The thing is, to bring it into a boxing weigh-in, you know that was wrong on every level.

“When you spray a machine gun it's an indiscriminate weapon. If you come in and fire a handgun you're aiming at the target you're going to hit.“

Shooting up a boxing weigh-in is wrong on every level but if it’s me mate who’s organised it leave him alone and let him live his life with his family abroad

Hoboo wrote: »
    Portugals policy HASN'T worked?

According to who? I can't find a reliable source to back that up. Scholarly and media reports claim nothing but success.

I didn't say it hasn't worked. I said it won't fix the drug issues we have in this country.... as the op said.
    Decriminalising the use of drugs has to help. But the real gains are to be had in reducing demand. As long as demand is there and there's profit in the supply these people will find a way. You can't catch and imprison everybody.
    So reduce demand for the hard drugs... and in the mean time legalise the production and sale of recreational cannabis... immediately... and tax it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I didn't say it hasn't worked. I said it won't fix the drug issues we have in this country.... as the op said.
    Decriminalising the use of drugs has to help. But the real gains are to be had in reducing demand. As long as demand is there and there's profit in the supply these people will find a way. You can't catch and imprison everybody.
    So reduce demand for the hard drugs... and in the mean time legalise the production and sale of recreational cannabis... immediately... and tax it.

Portugal did a lot more than just decriminalise drugs. they also created community and medical supports to help people stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭MickyPearse

BoojumBum wrote: »
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/boxer-big-joe-egan-says-24038122.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Boxer 'Big' Joe Egan says 'Leave my pal Gerry Hutch alone' as gardai hunt for the notorious criminal over Regency attack

But Mr Egan, who was also pals with the late Mr Byrne and with mob boss Daniel Kinahan, says the now infamous February 2016 gangland murder was “wrong on every level.”

“David Byrne was my friend and I know his Dad Jaws Byrne since I was a little boy.

“The thing is, to bring it into a boxing weigh-in, you know that was wrong on every level.

“When you spray a machine gun it's an indiscriminate weapon. If you come in and fire a handgun you're aiming at the target you're going to hit.“

Shooting up a boxing weigh-in is wrong on every level but if it’s me mate who’s organised it leave him alone and let him live his life with his family abroad

Some big contradictions in what he's saying. He wants justice for David Byrne's family but also thinks the Gardai should let the Monk walk. Can't have it both ways

• Advertisement

Some big contradictions in what he's saying. He wants justice for David Byrne's family but also thinks the Gardai should let the Monk walk. Can't have it both ways

Stop, don’t know why he even bothered talking bout the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭john boye

I mean, it's not much worse than the rubbish gg posts here

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭rondog

Egan is complete and utter w@nkstain.

AH sure the Monk raided the Regency and shot 3 people with one dead ,leave him alone to live his life abroad.

DK is a friend of mine i know what hes capable of outside of boxing but i respect him,hes done so much for boxing ..hes a friend leave him be......what a complete and utter cabbage.

called sitting on the fence, most are fedup with the grief and hatred caused between many families because of 1 mans ego and treason sitting in his sand pit.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭beerbellybob

benny79 wrote: »
    Bop? cant imagine him doing that getting it done maybe. Any idea what over?

anyone ?

or maybe a link to the story?

or should we debate the pros and cons of decriminalization for 20 pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 LMC7

Would the businessman in Wicklow be a heavy player or is he just known for pushing his weight around??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Lord_Slong2

I’ve seen a lot of posted comments about the Encro chats. Lads isn’t there some sort of legislation that currently prohibits the option to use those in criminal cases here in Ireland? I’m sure I’ve heard this and that’s the main reason the Gardai aren’t using those means currently

stingrayed wrote: »
    I forsee an EAW for the penguin soon 11m ledger found , CAB been very busy this morning, and Dee Dee been hit also.

Imagine this mornings cab raid is a follow up to this.

https://extra.ie/2020/05/28/news/irish-news/the-penguin-gang-700k-seized-gardai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Lord_Slong2

Imagine this mornings cab raid is a follow up to this.

https://extra.ie/2020/05/28/news/irish-news/the-penguin-gang-700k-seized-gardai

They’ve also been all over JD lately and the M family who are also related to the Penguin. That seizure is like a normal person losing one e or a few lines. George is major in every sense of the word. He’s also one of the most shrewd men you’d ever meet. He conducts his business the proper way, he despises the headlines.

They’ve also been all over JD lately and the M family who are also related to the Penguin. That seizure is like a normal person losing one e or a few lines. George is major in every sense of the word. He’s also one of the most shrewd men you’d ever meet. He conducts his business the proper way, he despises the headlines.

Totally agree his morrocan wife, is no fool either, she knows her stuff.

• Advertisement

I’ve seen a lot of posted comments about the Encro chats. Lads isn’t there some sort of legislation that currently prohibits the option to use those in criminal cases here in Ireland? I’m sure I’ve heard this and that’s the main reason the Gardai aren’t using those means currently

Someone mentioned the Graham Dwyer cases use of data and how he’s won appeals over how it was used so I think you’re right, mad island with mad laws

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Spooge_

Housefree wrote: »
    Drugs aren't the problem it's the super normal profits the gangs make, legalize and tax it. The only other way they can make that kind of money is from cyber crime, and they all left school to early for that

Or people could stop using illegal drugs and the problem would be fixed on its own overnight. No Demand, No Market.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

Spooge_ wrote: »
    Or people could stop using illegal drugs and the problem would be fixed on its own overnight. No Demand, No Market.

Ain't happening.

Free Guiness for all then. :D

That’s impossible at this stage

Speedline wrote: »
    Ain't happening.

Good for you.

Free Guiness for all then. :D

Yes and for anyone thinking of going into rehab, there's a huge clinic already built in James's St.
    My advice would be to hold off till draught is available as the watery ink, Diageo are passing off as Guinness in their cans won't have the desired effect.

Yes and for anyone thinking of going into rehab, there's a huge clinic already built in James's St.
    My advice would be to hold off till draught is available as the watery ink, Diageo are passing off as Guinness in their cans won't have the desired effect.

Can of guiness my lord, better drinking milk. :D but lets be honest drugs have been around for thousands of years and the problem will never go away, the only way is zero tolerance, and for the dealers in weight life with no possible release.

Can of guiness my lord, better drinking milk. :D but lets be honest drugs have been around for thousands of years and the problem will never go away, the only way is zero tolerance, and for the dealers in weight life with no possible release.

The length of sentence unfortunately doesn't deter them to stop.. the USA proves that.

We all know the hard drug usage is mainly in underprivileged areas with high youth unemployment and associated issues. The vast majority of these complexes are (or were) built to meet social housing demand. The huge mistake they(previous governments) made was they didn't mix social with private housing.

We borrowed 25 billion in Ireland last year to fight covid. We could put a huge hole in the demand for hard drugs if the political will and financial resources were there to finally solve the housing crisis... by putting an end to exclusively social housing complexes.

We need as a society to mix... and we can't condemn the children of the not so well off to an upbringing in environments where the heroin pushing gangland scumbags, and the poison they sell, seems like the only viable option.

It's doable... but only if the political will is present. Personally I don't see it happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Yes you did say it hadn’t worked.

My original post clearly outlined that support should be offered instead of conviction. You can’t choose which parts of a post to reference and ignore the rest lol

Fact is, decriminalisation is proven to be effective. There is no two ways about it

Advertisement