Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gangland Shootings part 4 - Read OP before posting - updated 30/12/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

Exactly.

The people of Russia might be averagely to poor financially but their government isn't desperately in need of 200 million quid like the likes of Zimbabwe or Haiti would be begging for.

While you might argue Putin doesn't care much what any Russian thinks of him (and he has strong support for having pulled them out of the disastrous 90s) the Russian government entertaining the presence of international drug traffickers in a country rampant with heroin abuse and the associated crime addicts commit is not the look he would be seeking.

Here's a funny little fact.

You could argue there were two seminal events that rocked the status quo when it came to Irish organised crime and its tolerance by the Irish state.

The murder of Veronica Guerin, and the Regency attack and the revenge attacks that followed (plus David Byrne's ostentatious funeral)

In the first few minutes of the Veronica Guerin film, if you keep an eye on the background graffiti on the block of flats she enters you can see no other than Gary Hutch has written his name on the wall at some point previously, probably a good 20 years prior to all the madness kicking off when he was little more than a wee bollix shoplifting, stealing cars and selling 10 spots. A film about the first seminal event in Irish gangland and there's an unintended artistic cameo by the man whose actions would kick off the second one.

Mad oul six degrees of separation

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭40supple

Spending €800 on a belt and buying 3 Rolex watches is not laundering money, that’s spending cash.

If he sold the belt and watches, got receipts and lodged the money, that’d be laundering money

converting dirty untraceable cash to clean traceable cash is how cash is laundered

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

The other massively underestimated factor will be the WAGs. Dubai? Doable. Moscow? Doable at a stretch. Tehran? Not a hope. Beirut or North Africa, struggle street. The next move could see their significant others moving back to Europe and that would create considerable problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Lecter8319

I have a feeling that the wags will do what their told, not the other way around, they could easily find themselves in a bit of bother if they came back to Europe. Added to this, I dont think you start making demands to your international drug trafficker partner.

• Advertisement

Iran is another country with a heroin problem. Not a hope they're staying. An absolutely skint dictatorship is their only refuge, and nobody wants to live in one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I know. That's what I meant.

All the tags were still on the items, so maybe the plan was to sell them on again for bitcoin maybe.

I'm not sure. It's not the worst way to launder money.

Well spotted.

I wonder were those flats in Sheriff Street area.

The film was released in 2003.

Gary Hutch was 34 when he was killed in 2015, so was approximately 22 in 2003.

The paint looks fresh enough so he probably wasn't that young.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Justanoseygit

Is Saudi Arabia an option for the K’s?

I find it hard to see past the fact that most of the big fights these days are there, and as much as it’s probably as much to do with Fury and his gang, being barred from the US, it wouldn’t surprise me if ‘Oor Daniel’, is still pulling strings from behind the many puppets that were more than willing to do his bidding before the Yanks got involved.

It’s hard to see him relinquishing the reigns to Fury, Taylor, Crawford, etc without much of a fight, no matter what everyone else seems to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

If they whinged enough in a shiphole, I would imagine they'd be sent back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Spencer101

Not literally on Sheriff street as they were demolished by 2000 ? Gary Hutch grew up Champions avenue - so nearer there ?

Saudi Arabia are trying to clean their image. It's the last place they'd be welcome.

Not to mention that despite the recent reforms they're nowhere near Dubai/ Abu Dhabi/ Qatar status yet- you still can't legally drink anywhere, there's still a degree of dress codes for both men and women, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Russia is a non runner. Christy's not that braindead. The Thieves in Law, Brother's Circle as the USA government call them, wouldn't be happy either, I'd imagine. Unless he got their blessing. Christy tried to copy the Russian model of crime from the 90s. All these movements and countries he is running around in, the Russians have been there, doing these things, long before him.

A lot of Russian billionaires are ex-mafia chiefs, and they went on to control financial sectors, huge companies from oil to coal, they bought lawmakers, judges and prosecutors.

There was no law against being a mafia boss until Putin came along. Not out of any sense of justice, Putin wanted to just put the squeeze on them in a very criminal way. Tax them.

He controlled who became a billionaire after that - for the purposes of controlling them and taking their loot. Prime example, Abramovich. Putin uses them to buy up property in other countries and pay off politicians/police/judges. Standard intelligence ****. A lot of these billionaires have been thrown out of windows sine the Ukraine war began after the international community started to cease their goods... Someone botched the posioning of Abramovich. Wonder what Putin did to him ...

A lot of investigative journalists actually say that Putin (secretly) is the world's richest man.

Parole in England & Wales is not automatic after 50% of sentence. For sentences over 4 years (that are not life sentences) you can be paroled after 1/2 sentence. But you may not be paroled until you have done 2/3rds of sentence - which is at that point usually automatic. They do have more aggressive proceeds of crime laws eg Curtis Warren & Hatton garden gang doing extra time as they didn’t repay proceeds of crime. Parole in Ireland is usually after serving 66-75% of headline sentence.

I didn't mean literally Sheriff St, but the area. The north east inner city.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Tiffers93

They aren't in Dubai anymore and I imagine it's due to this very thing. UAE are a lot more open to co-operation on these matter. A few of it's neighbours are MUCH more accomodating.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Tiffers93

• Registered Users Posts: 12 DJ Yallah

***wrong post***

• Registered Users Posts: 12 DJ Yallah

Not exactly true.

Businesses involved in the sale of goods of high value where the trader accepts cash payments of €10k either in one transaction or a series of linked transactions are called High Value Goods Dealers and are subject to anti-money laundering laws not dissimilar to banks, estate agents, solicitors etc. The trader should be getting a copy of an ID when selling for >€10k cash and getting an explanation from the customer where they got the money.

Car dealers and the likes of BT would obviously fall into this category.

I don't know if a funeral provider would fall into this category as I suppose a funeral is a service and not a store of value that could be sold on again like a car or handbag.

Also, a lot of European countries have existing limits on the max cash payments businessescan accept, possibly will be introduced EU-wide, maybe €10k or as low as €7k.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Popuptent

must be a great life knowing one wrong move or someone cashes in on the 5 million x 3

• Advertisement

It took the UAE 5/6/7 years to kick out Sanjay Shah who was recently extradited to Copenhagen. He’s accused of a huge fraud running into the billions. Until recently believed Kinahans were in UAE going into neighbouring countries from time to time. Shah’s extradition should underscore to them that everything comes to an end. Don’t know that they have ability to relocate anywhere. Zimbabwe made it clear they weren’t welcome. Can’t for a second see them going to Iran or Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mikewebber

They predictably end up banged up or dead

The penguin will be the only one left soon

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭notsocutehoor

The Penguin is sadly one of the most threatened, being listed by Birdlife as being vulnerable and endangered. While the penguin has adapted well to his environment, human impact is hitting his home too hard and too fast for him to cope.

Wonder how J.Dowdall is spending his days down in protective custody in Limerick city. Must be bleak knowing your appeal to reduce the sentence failed, you're thought by everyone as a rat and a number of gangs/organisations want a piece of you when you get out. The world is too small now even if you're in protective custody, all it takes is one individual on holiday somewhere with a camera phone and boom, the game is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

All it says about dowdall’s career on wiki his that he founded a business in 2007. How did he make a crust?

Plumbing/electrical work, had 11/12 people working for him at one stage I believe, money was being heavily laundered through it though according to the rags

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

The corruption of police would be my biggest concern. Someone leaking your location for money.

It's funny how a Romanian guy was caught up in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Aren’t the German police closing in on Mitchell? He has been publically named by them as behind Encrochat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Advertisement