Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lukashenko

Options
  • 10-08-2020 4:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭dere34

Alexander Lukashenko has 'won' yet another term as President of Belarus - a position he has held since 1994. Riots have erupted in Minsk and the internet has been shut down.

Is this the end of Europe's last dictatorship?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There hasn't been a free and fair election in Belarus since 1995.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Looks like he had been ditched by Putin? Maybe I'm losing the run of myself, but perhaps don't get surprised if things get unstable and Vlad pulls a Crimea on Belarus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭dere34

This could be another Ukraine scenario. If Lukashenko is ousted Putin will take action to make sure they don't turn west.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Yurt! wrote: »
    Looks like he had been ditched by Putin? Maybe I'm losing the run of myself, but perhaps don't get surprised if things get unstable and Vlad pulls a Crimea on Belarus.

He's looking to play both sides he wants close ties to the EU but stay in Putin's sphere for whenever the crap hits the fan and needs russian military advisers to pay a visit and prop himself up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

His days could be numbered.

Russians are not exactly happy with him. European governments hate him.

• Advertisement

Tsikhanouskaya is exactly who Belarus needs. A progressive that has support across the political spectrum.

Support for Putin in Belarus has been on the wane for a long time, very different to Crimea where there was a massive % that considered themselves Russian.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Didn't that guy in the video post here? I'm almost convinced I remember there was poster who was Irish and.based in Minsk. Can't be too many Micks flaoting around that neck of the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Personally I think Lukashenko is on his last leg's, rigging an election to say he won 80% of the vote when he's widely unpopular is a level of obvious electorial fraud it could easily push enough out to say enough.

He also managed to piss of Russia as well which is a big mistake as if Putin decides he's gotta go then his days are numbered. Regardless the like's of Lukashenko are a relic of a past era and the sooner he's chucked out of power the better the likes of him are unfit to rule in this day an age.

Only thing is wether he cracks down again or people rise up in numbers to drive him out this time he's not the type to go quietly he has to be pushed out.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Didn't that guy in the video post here? I'm almost convinced I remember there was poster who was Irish and.based in Minsk. Can't be too many Micks flaoting around that neck of the woods.

You'd be surprised.

• Advertisement

Infini wrote: »
    Personally I think Lukashenko is on his last leg's, rigging an election to say he won 80% of the vote when he's widely unpopular is a level of obvious electorial fraud it could easily push enough out to say enough.

He also managed to piss of Russia as well which is a big mistake as if Putin decides he's gotta go then his days are numbered. Regardless the like's of Lukashenko are a relic of a past era and the sooner he's chucked out of power the better the likes of him are unfit to rule in this day an age.

Only thing is wether he cracks down again or people rise up in numbers to drive him out this time he's not the type to go quietly he has to be pushed out.

That's the thing, could get very messy, very quickly.

Svetlana Tsikhanouskaya has left Belarus for neighbouring Lithuania.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/11/belarus-opposition-candidate-lithuania-protests-svetlana-tikhanouskaya

She was in Roscrea for a while.
    Svetlana Tikhanovskaya: from 'Chernobyl child' in Ireland to political limelight
    Host Henry Deane remembers Belarus’s opposition leader arriving in Roscrea at the age of 12
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/11/svetlana-tikhanovskaya-from-chernobyl-child-in-ireland-to-political-limelight

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I work with (not for) a number of people in a company in Minsk. They reported internet issues yesterday which continue today – the Government shutting down access to prevent criticism and dissent. They’re able to get sporadic access, so we’ve been able to communicate with them a little bit.

They usually don’t talk politics at all, but one of them told us today that it was all kicking off over there. He said that factories were beginning to go on strike (unheard of), and people were taking to the streets in very large numbers. He said that there had been casualties and that the Government had blood on their hands, and there was no going back now. He had expected the Government to crack down hard on the protests yesterday, but that they’d got to the stage now that he didn’t think the Government could stop them. It’s a worrying time for them. He’s young and seems to be optimistic about victory, but he may well also be naive.

I think what happens next depends on what Putin decides - Belarus is a buffer between Russia and the EU, and very much inside Russia’s sphere of influence. If he thinks it’s time for Lukashenko to go, he’ll sit back and let things take their course. But he’ll want a say in who replaces him, so there’ll be some hands on involvement. If he wants Lukashenko to stay, we could see the appearance of the Little Green Men we saw in the Crimea and eastern Ukraine. Putin congratulated Lukashenko on his victory and promised "mutually beneficial Russian-Belarusian relations in all areas." But it's hard to say whether that's a ringing endorsement of Lukashenko personally or not. It reads to me more of an acknowledgement that Russia will remain involved in Belarus no matter what.

Personally, I hope for the best for the protestors. I’ve visited Minsk, and it’s a beautiful place, and the people of Belarus are lovely. But the country has serious issues due to the corruption and negligence of it’s Government, and a crooked ruler who’s been in place without free opposition for 26 years. But I think they face an uphill struggle, and my fear is that it won’t end well for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was there ever any indication of the support that Svetlana Tsikhanouskaya had? If it was a fair election would she have won it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Was there ever any indication of the support that Svetlana Tsikhanouskaya had? If it was a fair election would she have won it?

If there were fair elections, she wouldn't have even been a candidate. She was only standing in for her husband as a matter of principle after he was arrested and had his candidacy rejected by the Central Election Commission. I don't think she ever claimed that she could be an effective President, and I doubt many would expect her to be. Her campaign was all about highlighting the fact that there isn't free elections. Her main campaign promise was to deliver free and fair elections within 6 months of her taking office. So she was basically standing in this election on a platform of immediately holding another election. There was no indication that she was going to stand in the second one.

After the election, she did claim:

"We have official protocols from many poll stations, where the number of votes in my favour are many more times than for another candidate."

But I guess it's impossible to tell for sure what exact level of spupport she or her campaign had, in a country where one individual holds the reins of power so tighly.

yeah knew the husband got locked up but had just been wondering if there were any opinion polls on him or his wife v Lukashenko. Opinion polls are probably something a dictator doesnt want to allow Im guessing but was just wondering.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Indeed, I think the point of her candidacy was that a vote for her was just a vote for freedom from Lukashenko. It's also why I don't think she's of any interest anymore, the future lies in the hands of the protestors and the police suppressing them.

Looks like we might get Russian troops getting involved .

He gave a speech today at a forced rally decrying NATO were rapidly building up forces on the Belarus border, followed by telling the crowd he spoke to Russian President Vladimir Putin. The Kremlin said Mr Putin had assured the Belarusian leader that Moscow was ready to provide help in accordance with a military pact.

A statement from Moscow also spoke of external pressure being applied to Belarus, but did not say where from.

He's refusing to re-run the election saying it will be the death of the state if it's allowed

Belarus could merge with Russia, they are already on the path to this with the Union State.

Gatling wrote: »
    Looks like we might get Russian troops getting involved .

He gave a speech today at a forced rally decrying NATO were rapidly building up forces on the Belarus border, followed by telling the crowd he spoke to Russian President Vladimir Putin. The Kremlin said Mr Putin had assured the Belarusian leader that Moscow was ready to provide help in accordance with a military pact.

A statement from Moscow also spoke of external pressure being applied to Belarus, but did not say where from.

He's refusing to re-run the election saying it will be the death of the state if it's allowed

Could possibly happen. But Putin absolutely dispises him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

The amount of people here who thought Putin was going to shaft Lukashenko is laughable. And displays absolutely zero knowledge of relationship between Belarus and the Soviet/Russian state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Irishman80

NATO can't allow Russian troops to get involved in Belarus. Russian military in Belarus practically cuts off the ability of NATO to defend the Baltic States.

It's time to stop appeasing/fearing Putin.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    The amount of people here who thought Putin was going to shaft Lukashenko is laughable. And displays absolutely zero knowledge of relationship between Belarus and the Soviet/Russian state.

Putin can do what he pleases , would shaft lukashenko and could still very well do , especially considering Putin is the butt of more jokes than his puppet in the white house thanks to his Sputnik IV claims , Belarus has some valuable pipelines to Western Europe ,by all accounts Belarusians want closer ties with Europe remind us about his pal in Ukraine and how that turned out ,Putin can't be trusted this could go several ways

Bonniedog wrote: »

This is very different to Ukraine, there isnt a strong pro-Russian opposition front or friendly civilian grouping.

Putin might just look at Armenia. 2018 revolution ousted that pro-Kremlin figure, but Russia seems happy enough with the new democratic leader since its economic interests are doing very well there and it remained part of the Eurasian economic union.

Just as possible that Putin will work with a new leader that keeps things smooth and running well in Belarus. Then again, its Putin, might just send the tanks in to make life difficult for NATO movements.

He's agreed to hold a new election.

dere34 wrote: »

He said they would have to kill him first before new elections could take place

whats the source, all Im seeing is his him saying earlier today that you would have to kill him to get a new election.

Even if there is a new election sure he will be fixing that one too. He is just not credible after 26 years in power. Analysts are also saying that Putin wouldnt mind removing him, but provided only that the regime can continue on the way Russia want it to. They also said that Putin sending in tanks could backfire badly and Putin is wary of this, a political solution is what they want because this isn't Ukraine where there was pro-Russia and pro-EU factions, the Belerus problem is just the public wanting an end to the dictatorship and for free and fair elections to be held. It is a movement for democracy, its not a movement for or against the EU and Russia.

I have not seen this news, do you have a credible source?

Less than an hour ago
    Belarus live updates: Lukashenko says no new election 'unless you kill me'
    https://www.dw.com/en/belarus-live-updates-lukashenko-says-no-new-election-unless-you-kill-me/a-54594736

• Registered Users Posts: 40,037 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Hopefully this is the end of him in power. I've had interactions with many Belarusian people over the years and they were all very nice if a bit guarded and on edge at times(the adults more so that kids) which showed itself in in one person being very guarded over his passport and very wary of buying things for themselves even when they had money to do it. I don't know whether they taught they could be tracked or what.

Also, there was one person who was a teacher and was in charge of a polling station and was told by a government official that "you can vote for whoever you want, but you know who you should vote for" which seems to have been the pitch for nearly three decades with this gangster.

As I say hopefully this might be the start of a new era for a people who deserve it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,037 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

biko wrote: »
    I have not seen this news, do you have a credible source?

Less than an hour ago
    Belarus live updates: Lukashenko says no new election 'unless you kill me'
    https://www.dw.com/en/belarus-live-updates-lukashenko-says-no-new-election-unless-you-kill-me/a-54594736

"Unless you kill me" well it happened in Romania in 1989 so maybe he shouldn't be giving the protesters any ideas. He probably doesn't want to end up like Nicolae Ceausescu.

Advertisement