Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cuttings flowering

Options
  • 10-08-2020 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

I took cuttings from what I think is a gooseberry Bush a few months back, and they all rooted successfully. Only last week I transferred them into individual pots and removed the plastic for regular humidity and I've noticed today that two of the cuttings are starting to form flowering buds. They're probably the two largest cuttings, at about six inches above ground and plenty leaves.

Should I deadhead the flowers? Besides it being way out of season for it, it could also be a lot of stress for the young cuttings.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Pic? Are you sure they are flower buds and not new leaf buds?

Edit, to answer your question, yes if they are flowers I would nip them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

Yeah fairly sure they're flowers, can see the pink coming through! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

Tig98 wrote: »
    Yeah fairly sure they're flowers, can see the pink coming through! Thanks

They look more like currants to me. Maybe it would be worth letting them flower and set fruit so you see what type of fruit they produce.

Currants and gooseberry are easy to propagate from hardwood cuttings taken in autumn so making more should not be too difficult, but they are also very tough plants in my experience. Forming a few berries even when young would be unlikely to kill them in my opinion.

Happy gardening!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I thought they looked more like currents, bit big for gooseberries and not quite the same shape. Though new leaves do tend to be a bit different. I wasn't sure enough to say though :D And the flowers didn't really look like either current or gooseberry, though more likely gooseberry.

The cutting is from a friend's garden so it's no loss! While it flowers every spring, it has yet to produce any fruit afterwards. The flowers are perfect so I'm not sure if it's just an anti-self pollination thing, as it's the only one of its kind in the garden...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

The cutting is from a friend's garden so it's no loss! While it flowers every spring, it has yet to produce any fruit afterwards. The flowers are perfect so I'm not sure if it's just an anti-self pollination thing, as it's the only one of its kind in the garden...

I have a flowering currant that has not produced fruit. They have much more colourful flowers than the varieties grown for the fruit. Is it one of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Ribes sanguineum then!

I let one of the cuttings flower, and interestingly it has produced white flowers with only a tinge of pink, where the mother plant produces full, vibrant pink flowers.

Any ideas on why? Flowering out of season could be attributed to the light from being indoors, but I didn't expect them to be a different colour!

Advertisement