Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Water for Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Mannesmann

If and it's a big if, the Shannon pipe gets done the rainwater harvesting would be a bit of a waste?

There was talk of a review of the project 2 years ago. Did that finish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The Shannon pipe will happen. Rainwater harvesting for toilet flushing on every house would be amazing and would probably reduce the amount of water taken from Parteen. It would have to be a costly government grant for each house. But, if that's what people want on this thread for Dublin.. we'll take it too.

I can't see how anyone can be certain it 'will happen', it has to go through planning not to talk of courts afterwards and cost will mount.

Civil engineering projects that benefit the wellbeing of taxpayers tend to go ahead, from the ha'penny bridge, Shannon hydro scheme to motorway networks, airports, wind farms, solar farms, tunnels, bridges, hospitals etc…

Water is pretty important. I know some people feel they're more important than others and the water should be kept for them. But that's not the case here in the Republic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's not being "kept for them" JR, it's flowing into the sea but that's the level of contempt some have for Dublin and Dubliners.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I mean, rivers are the ultimate rainwater harvesting systems. You could spend an infinite amount of money on some new tech and it would never generate even a fraction of what the Shannon dumps into the Atlantic on a daily basis.

People will object to this until they find out what's in it for them. That's all this is.

The idea that your averafge country person gives a shite about the environment is hilarious. Where will they find time to protest the pipeline what will all the eagle poisoning, badger trapping and turf cutting?

Talk about stereotyping country people. The cheque for this scheme is unknown figures from 6 to 11 Billions have been mentioned not loose change soi it makes sense that it should be challenged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Not sure where the 11 billion figure came from but 20 seconds of googling found me the government press release

"The current preliminary project cost estimate of €4.58 billion to €5.96 billion has been developed in accordance with the principles set out in the Infrastructure Guidelines by international engineering experts Jacobs and verified by an Expert Review Panel (ERP)"

"Based on a cost estimate of €4.58 billion, cost benefit analysis of the project demonstrates that it delivers €12.25 of benefits for every €1 of costs and it therefore represents a positive investment for the State"

So you have taken the highest estimated cost and almost doubled it for no apparent reason. Even a 12 billion cost would deliver €5 benefit for every €1 spent.

I don't agree with slandering country people but the anti Dublin sentiment from many on this thread is appalling and was bound to get a tit for tat response.

Will you be putting your money where your mouth is and paying for an objection to the project which aims to bring fresh water from Tipperary to Dublin and Carlow to Drogheda?

You'll be happy to learn that it'll mostly be taxes raised in the greater Dublin area paying for it. Same as everything else.

• Advertisement

The money will be from the general tax take. There is no breakdown as to where it comes from i.e from Dublin or outside Dublin.

It is going to cost a lot more than the figures given by Uisce Eireann. It also will face huge objections.

https://www.nenaghguardian.ie/2024/07/06/councillors-fume-over-expense-of-piping-water-from-river-shannon-to-dublin/

Emma Kennedy of the River Shannon Protection Alliance is totally opposed to the construction of this major water supply project. Ms Kennedy, who is the author of the “Kennedy Analysis” examining the new controversial pipeline said all the reports produced by Uisce Éireann and Dublin City Council contained a “litany of errors”.
    “The latest government approval is based on a secret document that was never published without any public scrutiny,” she said.
    Back in 2018, Ms Kennedy recalled the River Shannon Protection Alliance participated in what was supposed to be an independent review of public documents, which was “halted for no reason” without the publication of any report.

Some seriously ill informed comments there from our elected representatives. Two of whom mentioned not enough water in their regionand made no comment that the largest treatment works in the country is part of the plan.

Mannesman fair play to you for carrying on where Saabsaab left off. In just ten days you have replicated his posting style and over half your posts are in this thread. Nice work I'm sure Saab appreciates it.

Did you see their website? She's a London lawyer trying to cash in on her husbands farm where the pipe's route may run through. Her first point: "Dublin’s water pipes have around 57% leakage rate"

Spoofer. Ignore.

Is this her site or is there a personal site out there?

The page I was on states that Irish Water should repurpose Blessington/Poulaphouca Reservoir to supply water. About 50 years too late there RSPA.

and the Liffey is an “untapped resource” apparently. I thought the whole problem was our complete reliance on the Liffey which is already at breaking point.

I assume they know these things full well but also know that people don’t look too closely when you’re telling them what they want to hear.

Yeh you're right. I was gonna say having a nice website and a fancy sounding report doesn't mean they aren't dumb cünts. Most likely very clever people doing as you write, telling folk what they want to hear.

Hundreds of communities and working farms will be affected by such a pipe if it goes ahead. They claim a cost now of near 6 billions up from 1.6 not so long ago they also say this will take 5 years to build. Hardly surprising if people affected don't believe the costs and timescales and that's before any legal challenges that are certain to come.

So what? It's happening so you might as well get over it.

Just another "pressure group" which in reality is one person with far too much time on his or her hands, and/or a vested interest. Should not be given the time of day by anyone.

• Advertisement

The pipeline is going to be expensive - but if this is still the most cost-effective solution, then it's a reason to push for the pipeline, not to object.

Still waiting for any viable alternative suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Is there not room along each side of both the Royal and Grand canals to bury pipelines and pump up the water up that way?

The canals are already in the control of the OPW and if it 'was' feasible there would be no need to compulsory purchase public land to achieve bringing Shannon water to Dublin. It could also benefit the canals as once the pipelines were buried they could finish the surface of the towpaths with new tarmacked pathways and cyclepaths, which would greatly enhance the canals for tourism etc.

Why wont GAA football fans these days admit Die Hard 5 is muck?

Is it really the best solution? Is it viable? Stifling objections is not the way forward just look at the children's hospital, pity it wasn't stopped earlier.

There is a huge loss of water due to leakage about a third of treated water! It was reported that only 400 premises in Dublin area account for 20 million litres a day surely this can be tackled first at much lesser cost. The pipe will run into the billions and judging by previous large infrastructure projects the costs will be much more that stated now.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭I told ya

The problem we have is that perfectly good drinking water is used for everything, toilets, car washes, gardens. The list goes on.

At this stage surely all new office blocks, schools, factories, etc. should have rainwater harvesting. It would not be a 100% solution, but it should help.

If/where the pipeline is a cut and cover job, are CPOs necessary? Bury the pipe and reinstate the land, fences, etc. A temporary CPO?

"Best" solution is entirely subjective and I didn't use that word. Yes, it is viable. The solution to the issues at the Children's Hospital was not to simply drop it, it was to manage it better.

No-one is stifling objections. What gave you that idea? The planning process hasn't even started yet.

Fixing leaks is absolutely essential but a) it's also incredibly expensive and b) even in the best case scenario, it won't solve the problem, so it's a complementary solution, not an alternative.

BTW, that report was 400 premises leaking 5000 lites a day, which is 2 million litres, not 20 million. it's still a lot of water but you - purely by accident, I'm sure - exaggerated it tenfold.

Fixing leaks probably won't fix it alone but it is a more useful start. Other sources can be found groundwater, rivers that are considerably nearer and rainwater harvesting (as done in other cities). Yes 2 million, my error but as you say still a lot for only 400 premises.

True new developments should have rainwater harvesting as standard possibly combined with solar panels. Could pay for itself in the long run too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭dmakc

As with the electricity generation push, this Shannon water push is to primarily serve our data centre overlords.

You posted a link about high rises in Singapore using rainwater for their toilets. That isn't applicable to Ireland for a number of reasons. No city is collecting rainwater on anything like the scale we need. Groundwater isn't remotely realistic, like come on.

This is purely anti-Dublin bitterness and that's a stupid reason to do or not do anything.

• Advertisement

A lot of canal greenway have just been completed, the loss of amenity digging that up for a pipe would inconvenience thousands of people. Paying a farmer handsomely to dig virgin ground is a far better option.

Lots of the canal in Kildare is raised so undermining the canal levy is borderline technically impossible.

Need to Google later but I think the canals are Inland Waterways not the OPW. They are a 32 county body HQ in Enniskillen, so I would imagine they give zero sh1ts about this project.

Advertisement