Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

polesheep wrote: »
    [/B]

That doesn't explain the steady low rate of hospitalisations. I'd say behind the scenes it has them flummoxed.

All the numbers in Ireland seem to show that fact that the virus is burning out fast, a large amount of the most at risk people have either sadly passed, survived or perhaps had some form of immunity, t-cell etc.

I was fully supportive of the lockdown in March with respect to hospital capacity but lockdowns now seem completely unnecessary. Surely we should let this thing burn out as quick as possible while shielding the at risk groups?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

Oranage2 wrote: »
    More likely stronger healthier people are getting it

Stronger and healthier people have been getting it from the start.Have the virus turned from attacking old people? Oh wait it's the sudden use of masks

One section of Australia is locked down to a handful of deaths related to 70,80 and 90 year old croaking it.

Skynews Australia has some clear speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

All the numbers in Ireland seem to show that fact that the virus is burning out fast, a large amount of the most at risk people have either sadly passed, survived or perhaps had some form of immunity, t-cell etc.

I was fully supportive of the lockdown in March with respect to hospital capacity but lockdowns now seem completely unnecessary. Surely we should let this thing burn out as quick as possible while shielding the at risk groups?

Produce the numbers please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Not possible, us thick Irish are the worst in the world at everything

That's not true.
    We are the best in the world at pretending companies pay 12% tax but actually pay less than 2%.
    This is highly attractive to multinationals including pharmaceutical companies.

We brought the EU to court over having to take tax from apple.
    However on everything else we defer, water charges clause in the bailout etc etc.

In fairness it works for us. Ireland number one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

Whats even more crazy, they will call you a fool for pointing out the obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Wonder if this is related to the big hospital increase over night? Dashboard says 21 in hospital, up from 14 last night. Naas had 8 awaiting swabs last night.

It’s back down to 14 now. Fergal Bowers also said 14 at lunchtime. Some system glitches methinks - perhaps they double counted the ICU 7.

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/pages/hospitals-icu--testing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

froog wrote: »
    Well we know the majority of cases are in the 30s and 40s age group so there's no mystery there really. We've known this is much more dangerous for older people for many months now.

You seem intent on ignoring the fact that people in their 30s and 40s mix with older and vulnerable people. I'm seeing a lot of this line of argument coming up to explain why hospitalisations are not going up. Yet, the opposite is thrown out when arguing in favour of restrictions - "We have to restrict everyone, even the young and healthy or else they will bring it home to granny". Well people can't have their cake and eat it. Either it's being brought home to granny or it's not.

Also at the start, we were hospitalizing all confirmed cases for observation, regardless of severity, so that would also skew the number of hospital cases

But that was at the start. Hospital numbers have been steady for quite a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

You could only say it is "less dangerous" if we have evidence of widespread spread with most people unaffected.

Instead our antibody testing is showing a relatively small rate of spread, thanks to the lockdowns and other efforts.

The reality is that 95% of the Irish population has not been exposed to the virus, and most of us would like to keep it that way.

Onesea wrote: »
    Whats even more crazy, they will call you a fool for pointing out the obvious.

I know, these are topsy turvy times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

hmmm wrote: »
    You could only say it is "less dangerous" if we have evidence of widespread spread with most people unaffected.

Instead our antibody testing is showing a relatively small rate of spread, thanks to the lockdowns and other efforts.

The reality is that 95% of the Irish population has not been exposed to the virus, and most of us would like to keep it that way.
    You can't really trust antibody testing as the only sign of seroprevelance.

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    We need to keep open minds with this. If America want to play politics and refuse a safe and effective Russian vaccine let them. Russia have never wronged us so we shouldn't be dragged into American bull****. Nor should we insult the country and it's scientists.

We shouldn't insult Irish scientists either.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

LATEST TESTING UPDATE

Tests conducted last 24 hours: 3937
    Tests conducted last 7 days: 30372
    Additional positive tests: 53
    Positivity Rate last 7 days: 1.7%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Not great, not terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

We shouldn't insult Irish scientists either.;)

I wouldn't dream of it, I regret my earlier comment it was a ****ty thing to say.

We brought the EU to court over having to take tax from apple.
    !
    Tax that they were liable for in the US

Not reality, your opinion. There isn't a reputable scientist in the world that would stand over the figure. For all we know there could be widespread T-Cell immunity. It's also been postulated that other corona virus immunity may work against Covid-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,998 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Geez that out break in New Zealand is an eye opener . Considering their approach, how are they getting another out break, even they can't figure it out .

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The Russians are an incredible people. If this vaccine was developed in the UK, the US or Germany this would be leading the news worldwide.

This is really big news but because of the anti Russia phobia that western media pushes on it's people it's viewed as some sort of negative when i fact this could be the beginning of the end of this virus.

where did anyone say otherwise against the ordinary Russian person ? They didn't. It's not who has claimed to have produced it, it's whether its safe. I'm perfectly happy to get the vaccine and I'm sure my family will get it once it's proven to be safe. Surely we can all agree we want a vaccine that's safe first and foremost ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Geez that out break in New Zealand is an eye opener . Considering their approach, how are they getting another out break, even they can't figure it out .

It’s going to be endemic. It’ll be like every other coronavirus. And hopefully we’ll have an effective vaccine just like the flu.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't dream of it, I regret my earlier comment it was a ****ty thing to say.

If only I had a euro for each thing I said in haste that I later regretted. You are absolved my son. Say three hail Marys.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Not reality, your opinion. There isn't a reputable scientist in the world that would stand over the figure. For all we know there could be widespread T-Cell immunity. It's also been postulated that other corona virus immunity may work against Covid-19.
    All this speculation about cross-immunity is unproven so far. Read anything by Florian Krammer to understand more.

Antibody testing is what we have so far and what most scientific studies are based on. They show low levels of spread within the Irish population.

Exactly. Widespread T-Cell immunity is highly likely.

Source:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.17.20061440v1

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0092867420306103?via%3Dihub

Santy2015 wrote: »
    It’s going to be endemic. It’ll be like every other coronavirus. And hopefully we’ll have an effective vaccine just like the flu.

In any given year, the flu vaccine, if well matched to the flu that is prevalent, will give an estimated 40% to 60% immunity. They won't tell you its effectiveness when it's not well matched. If the flu vaccine was in any way effective we'd have eliminated the annual flu season hospital crisis by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Adrian Hill, yeah that was a stupid comment from me but I just find it irritating when people here knock Russia as if it's some mucky hole in the ground, it's similar to what people used to say about ireland and Irish people.

Who's knocking Russia ? It's very easy to not trust the government of a country while having respect for the actual citizens of a country. I mean Russia has had many amazing firsts in space and science but it's okay to not overhype something that no one has seen yet other than an announcement by the country's leader.

All this speculation about cross-immunity is unproven so far. Read anything by Florian Krammer to understand more.

Antibody testing is what we have so far and what most scientific studies are based on. They show low levels of spread within the Irish population.

Of course it's unproven. And so is the 95% you quoted. We simply don't know how many people have been exposed to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

So c'mere now, is this Russian vaccine basically the untested Oxford vaccine, that they have obtained by hacking into the Oxford computers?

I mean, it's morally reprehensible, but rolling it out to a few million russians (poor b*stards if it goes wrong) is the best Phase 3 testing ever. I'd be gutted for the Oxford scientists, and would feel wrong paying Russia for a vaccine that they basically stole, but if the russians don't show any serious side effect by say, next March, I'd be in the queue with my veins at the ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

In any given year, the flu vaccine, if well matched to the flu that is prevalent, will give an estimated 40% to 60% immunity. They won't tell you its effectiveness when it's not well matched. If the flu vaccine was in any way effective we'd have eliminated the annual flu season hospital crisis by now.

Flu viruses mutate extremely quickly, hence the vaccine being an attempt to cover as many strains as possible. SARS-CoV-2 virus does not yet mutate as quickly as influenza A and B viruses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

froog wrote: »
    Not great, not terrible

Nope but 50s not bad esp if most cases still in LOK

• Advertisement

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Flu viruses mutate extremely quickly, hence the vaccine being an attempt to cover as many strains as possible. SARS-CoV-2 virus does not yet mutate as quickly as influenza A and B viruses.

"And hopefully we’ll have an effective vaccine just like the flu."

The above is the comment I replied to. Hence the flu reference.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement