Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Yup

This new advice should be ignored if they are stupid enough to try to go with it

It's a dangerous route they're taking, if true.

They'd want to be bloody hell sure that case numbers go down if they start taking away life enjoyments again.

If they don't, a later lockdown will have noses turned up at it. Do it right or risk a mess altogether down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Good twitter account to follow too - https://twitter.com/Coronavirusgoo1

Nice having some good news peppered amongst the doomy news feed.

This is exactly it.

My business is way down, can't go to gigs/music festivals, sport's only just coming back (and on a knife edge) and this on top of the obvious fear of the safety of my parents.

I look for the good news wherever I can find it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

That is part of a pilot project by the UK government to trial limited public gatherings at sporting and other events. In fact there were limited numbers of fans allowed into the Crucible on the first day of the World Championship at the end of July but that policy was halted after there was a spike in new cases and was only reintroduced at the weekend.

and ? Its an indoor event and high risk. We've a handful of fans at large outdoor stadiums which is very low risk.

Whats wrong with 50 fans at a match in a stadium that can hold thousands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,869 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Tony went rouge

Really, always seemed a pretty even-tempered sort of guy to me:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Baffling decision if its been taken.

Glynn said only 2 weeks ago they had no concern about outdoor sporting events and that the 200 at a match wasn't an issue as it was low risk

I'm sure he was even trying to encourage outdoor gatherings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

They're blaming the factories on an U12 camogie match? Is this a joke?

It just shows how many people do not actually read what is contained in the links here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Renjit wrote: »
    For someone seeking good news, the username sure is antagonistic :pac:

I bruise like a peach!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

so no spectators at sport events outside where transmission is low.

But meat plants stay open even after an outbreak.

Makes no sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Xenji wrote: »
    It just shows how many people do not actually read what is contained in the links here.
    i feel like such an idiot :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

This virus seems to be attacking everything my grandmother held dear to her heart. I'm glad she isn't around today to see hang sangidges and mugs of tae fall into the crossfire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

They're blaming the factories on an U12 camogie match? Is this a joke?
    It is a crap joke, aye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Well played

Lol thought it was a good one too :-D

i feel like such an idiot :D:D:D:D

:p

“It’s very important that the message doesn’t go out that outdoors is in any way dangerous,” stated Glynn. “Outdoors is safer.

"We want to encourage people to meet outdoors. Clearly, if you have a small number of people in a large stadium from a public health perspective there is no public health issue with that.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/arid-40027325.html

What in hell has changed in the last 2 weeks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

“It’s very important that the message doesn’t go out that outdoors is in any way dangerous,” stated Glynn. “Outdoors is safer.

"We want to encourage people to meet outdoors. Clearly, if you have a small number of people in a large stadium from a public health perspective there is no public health issue with that.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/arid-40027325.html

What in hell has changed in the last 2 weeks?

A complete u-turn if it’s true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Baffling decision if its been taken.

Glynn said only 2 weeks ago they had no concern about outdoor sporting events and that the 200 at a match wasn't an issue as it was low risk

Not really evidence based medicine means changing position based on new facts. Contact tracing had shown that how people were travelling to and fro and accessing these venues was a problem. This seems to be an attempt to address that. Easy fix but question is whether it's reasonably necessary. I'd like if they published the briefing info ministers but that's a pipe dream.

Still I feel they should be doing more to reveal to public insights from contact tracing as that gives best insight into how virus behaves in Ireland. (read that as how irish people behave in a COVID environment)

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Tony went rouge and see what happened

More like Moulin Rouge :D

• Advertisement

Eod100 wrote: »
    22 people in a 2 bed house..?!

Always check the link - dont just trust the source, verify the source

Looks like we will be waiting a bit longer for the press conference.

https://twitter.com/MaryERegan/status/1295730588352163843

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Turtwig wrote: »
    Not really evidence based medicine means changing position based on new facts. Contact tracing had shown that how people were travelling to and fro and accessing these venues was a problem. This seems to be an attempt to address that. Easy fix but question is whether it's reasonably necessary. I'd like if they published the briefing info ministers but that's a pipe dream.

Still I feel they should be doing more to reveal to public insights from contact tracing as that gives best insight into how virus behaves in Ireland. (read that as how irish people behave in a COVID environment)

Even if that was the case, this is absolutely the worst way to go about it. Banning the sport at the destination doesn't solve people being idiots and piling into cars together from varying households, if that's what's being suggested here. This isn't sport being an issue, it's people not adhering to other guidelines.

If true, this is such a silly misstep from government, and I don't even like sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭maebee

Eod100 wrote: »
    22 people in a 2 bed house..?!

I don't know how true this is but I heard that they literally "bed share", i.e. while 11 workers work one shift, the other 11 are sleeping. When those 11 finish their shift, they're sleeping in the beds of the other 11. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

maebee wrote: »
    I don't know how true this is but I heard that they literally "bed share", i.e. while 11 workers work one shift, the other 11 are sleeping. When those 11 finish their shift, they're sleeping in the beds of the other 11. :eek:

That seems too far fetched. Could be true for sweat shops in other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

RTE push notification also claiming sporting events behind closed doors.
    maebee wrote: »

Quite common, referred to as 'hot bedding'. Eugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Is Glyn drunk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

growleaves wrote: »
    You're on intellectual autopilot Mr. Bank. I could go to a newsagent down the road, purchase a newspaper, and I would know all your opinions.

You are instructed by the media to mistrust certain leaders (Trump, Bolsonaro Putin, Johnson etc.) and trust the rest. You should mistrust all of them and all the information coming your way and do your own thinking.

Oh please. You post nothing but boilerplate right wing contrarian scutter and dress it up in pseudish faux high mindedness. Your opinions are equally predictable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I wonder if they'll actually do anything that might reduce tourism from overseas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Even if that was the case, this is absolutely the worst way to go about it. Banning the sport at the destination doesn't solve people being idiots and piling into cars together from varying households, if that's what's being suggested here. This isn't sport being an issue, it's people not adhering to other guidelines.

If true, this is such a silly misstep from government, and I don't even like sports.

We have to wait to see the exact measures but I don't consider this a ban on sports. Behind closed doors usually means no general public access. Matches and training often took place between closed doors when teams wanted something to be private.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

So what will be the number later? Around a Hundred?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

redmgar wrote: »

Very few positive tests today but a lot in the backlog, possibly 50-150

It's effectively a ban on sports when only teams are able to go

That will prob be the next thing to go ... no matches whatsoever

My club has had over 15 championship matches over the last month and not 1 case in the club

There have been 4 cases in the locality over the last 2 months

Yet the 50 or so supporters that are allowed at the moment will be banned from supporting the team

Madness from Micheal Martin and NPHET

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Sports behind closed doors is absolutely ridiculous.. every other country increased numbers allowed at events. Anybody point out any evidence to increased risks with spectators at a match for example.. was at county ground recently with 50 spectators allowed and you could have easily fit another 300 in and still have social distancing.. 3 whole stands empty .. surely encouraging getting outside in a safe manner is important.. this will stop all underage sports for the rest of the year . Government really at that risk now of the whole country losing confidence with them .. definitely going about this arseways now and targeting people who have up till now followed the guidelines without question.
    Yet even today meat factories are seeing new clusters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Renjit wrote: »
    That seems too far fetched. Could be true for sweat shops in other countries.

While not as extreme as the 22 people in a 2 bedroom house I had a friend who shared a 3 bedroom house with 4 Brazilians last year. He had his own room and the other two where single rooms. The 4 Brazilians took turns sleeping in the beds as 2 of them worked nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Totally support the decision on sports if true. Getting the schools open is the priority and anything that helps us reach that goal is welcome.

Totally support the decision on sports if true. Getting the schools open is the priority and anything that helps us reach that goal is welcome.

Explain how 50 people spread out in a 10k capacity stadium helps get the schools open ?

Load of BS

Nothing to do with the schools reopening

How can the government get school open indoors when they ban people outdoors?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

growleaves wrote: »
    It has nothing to do with the United States.

If you don't understand that figures released from a Communist dictatorship can't be trusted and why then you are the intellectual equivalent of an ingénue orphan wandering around hoping to be adopted by a kind family.

The propensity of people on this thread to take things at face value seems to have no bottom. It has no beginning or end.

"Hey China has only a handful of cases out of a population of 1.4 billion. We should see what they're doing right and copy them. Its too bad we don't the advantages of Communism that would be really efficient"

Just think and engage your brain. Do they have a motive for lying? Have they been trustworthy either in the recent past or the distant past? Do the numbers seem credible even forgoing these questions?

Well that’s me told. I don’t put much trust in the figures coming out of the US, UK, Russia or Brazil. It has nothing to do with the political ideology, as you seem to imply a communist government is automatically disreputable.

Ingénue orphan :pac:

• Advertisement

They'll have to give a very f*cking good explanation to convince the people if it's true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

How about shutting down the affected plants/factories?

They'll have to give a very f*cking good explanation to convince the people if it's true

There is no good enough explanation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Do you not get if sports can't happen, pubs can't open, the exact same is true for schools. We're using kids as crash test dummies.
    Should have opened the pubs to experiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

But the evidence suggests that it won't help. Its a really bad decision. Repercussions will be seen in a few weeks. Little trust that some may have had in the government will be gone.

Yes, all those cases and clusters linked to matches with less than 200 people at a massive field outdoors are really driving up the cases.

Its complete Non-science if true. Just folks looking at a list of activities and making random decisions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭yawhat?

It's effectively a ban on sports when only teams are able to go

That will prob be the next thing to go ... no matches whatsoever

My club has had over 15 championship matches over the last month and not 1 case in the club

There have been 4 cases in the locality over the last 2 months

Yet the 50 or so supporters that are allowed at the moment will be banned from supporting the team

Madness from Micheal Martin and NPHET

It’s not effectively a ban on sports. I wish people would stop fear mongering and over reacting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

redmgar wrote: »

Given that measures will be announced this evening. I'd say low number today, high number tomorrow to show how prudent they were with the restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

It might be your priority but some people are going to get very annoyed if we keep closing things down in order to let the schools open. Schools are a hotbed of illness transmission at the best of times, shutting things down to let them open would be nonsense of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

So shut down everything apart from schools?
    You would support hairdressers, restaurants and shops being closed then yeah?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement