Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

yawhat? wrote: »
    It’s not effectively a ban on sports. I wish people would stop fear mongering and over reacting.
    All local GAA and soccer matches will stop if there's no spectators allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

How about kids training? Big numbers at it, we've to fill in a health form every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I have a couple of elderly uncles and their only Bit of normality was to get to see a few GAA matches on recent weekends. What harm is that with only a handful in attendance.
    Ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭yawhat?

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

...why?

Why?
    seamus wrote: »
    ...why?
    You hardly expect 10 year old kids to play without their parents watching? And younger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Wonder what's coming down the track with numbers being referred for tests or outbreaks we don't know about if NPHET is recommending these measures?

You hardly expect 10 year old kids to play without their parents watching? And younger?

10 year olds don’t account for all local GAA and soccer matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Thats hardly "all local GAA and soccer"

• Advertisement

10 year olds don’t account for all local GAA and soccer matches.
    Don't be ridiculous. Kids sport is the foundation of local sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Fairly mental decision. Hard to fathom. Outbreaks in factories with workers in crap living and working conditions. Result is punish the small handful of people going along to a match outdoors in a ground that is 99% empty anyway.

The public patience is noticeably fraying lately and It’ll only get worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I have a couple of elderly uncles and their only Bit of normality was to get to see a few GAA matches on recent weekends. What harm is that with only a handful in attendance.
    Ridiculous

My dad lives for the GAA, has only started going back to matches in the last month or so...bloody disgrace if they stop them again. He’s 75 and it’s his main social outlet :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

I remember Harris saying these restrictions can't be put on people too long so you have to get the timing right. Everyone was saying "How long can they possible last" and all of a sudden we're 5 months down the road and still under a level of restriction.

At this stage I'm wondering are the government surprised people are still abiding to distancing and were always just waiting for the public to push back heavily, so it's not their fault, hence the blind eye to meat plants and tourism from abroad, to just banning spectators at sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

No reason why they should. Some of our local soccer clubs were already planning on playing behind closed doors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Nonsense, in fact Leitirm Co Board have already decided to have their cship behind closed doors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

It's going to be a huge problem up to minor

Parents need to bring kids to matches

What are they meant to do?

Go home during the game/training?

Lots of clubs in Dublin have banned non players from their grounds in any event, and kids matches have continued. A complete over reaction or manufactured outrage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

There are an awful lot of things I'd close before outdoor sports with a reasonably sized audience per venue...

Lots of clubs in Dublin have banned non players from their grounds in any event, and kids matches have continued. A complete over reaction or manufactured outrage.

Telling kids to play without their parents watching is possibly one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

So re GAA we will now have approx 40 players over the course of an hour, running around a field grappling and jostling with each other, roaring and shouting and exhaling droplets, in close proximity will be 7 match officials and on the sidelines between subs and mentors, another 30 or so people yet 100 or so people, easily socially distanced, spread out along the preimeter of the pitch enjoying the fresh air and a social occasion is to be forbidden? Right so. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

If true, I really don't understand this behind closed doors thing for all Matches even juvenile.

We have been fairly conservative due to having vulnerable family members but both our Kids are back at GAA the last month or so. Both delighted. But we as Parents go to all their games. We are well spaced out too. They will both be very disappointed especially the younger one if we can't see them play.

I don't get it though at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Telling kids to play without their parents watching is possibly one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

Must have changed from when I was young. Half the players didn't have their parents watching

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

There are going to be a lot of coaches on the kids teams:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Not all parents go see their children play matches for whatever reasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

So in Northern Ireland you can have 400

Down here 0

Great decision from the government

It's going to go down like a lead balloon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Ridiculous

My grandfather went to his first game two weeks ago since the all this started and it will be his last till all this is over.

Even with the maximum the majority of fans ended up congregating in the same spot of a near 26k capacity stadium, nobody was there to enforce any social distancing and everyone decided to leave at the same time through very tight exits after the match.

Now I am not saying that this is happening everywhere and at every match but social distancing was definitely not the number one concern for the majority of fans at the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

So the resurge is among 20-40 year olds mainly . So what do they do ? Ban sports for kids and ask the elderly to restrict movement .
    No mention of banning house parties or gathering of youth or large groups gathering in parks . Why ? Because they know the elderly will comply once again and do as asked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭celt262

Will kids training come under this bull**** i have to be at training when his age group is training because of his age?

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    It's going to be a huge problem up to minor

Parents need to bring kids to matches

What are they meant to do?

Go home during the game/training?

A walk, a coffee, read the paper or a book. It’s hardly an insurmountable Problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

leahyl wrote: »
    My dad lives for the GAA, has only started going back to matches in the last month or so...bloody disgrace if they stop them again. He’s 75 and it’s his main social outlet :-(

Id would worry about people in rural areas in this age bracket. They live for Pub/GAA . Both gone. Pubs I can understand but this decision is cruel tbh , especially considering outdoor transmission not the main driver of the pandemic in all scientific studies and no clusters have been linked to any sporting activity in the last few weeks

• Advertisement

You can pick out the government fans :D

Why not?

A certain number of parents usually attend as assistants, as needed. It's not like it'll be two coaches and 30 kids alone on the field.

Plenty of parents just drop the kids off and come back an hour later.

I agree it sounds a bit ridiculous, but's OTT to suggest that nobody will be bothered playing if there's no spectators. Below 12 years of age, all matches are just for fun anyway, no different training.

I expect this report has been a little overblown, and the reference is to games for anyone over 16. It does mention "sporting events". An under-10s C-league match is not a "sporting event" in any universe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I'd say it's a tense cabinet meeting.

They also have to agree update to green list

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Must have changed from when I was young. Half the players didn't have their parents watching

Genuinely has changed. I've been involved in kids soccer for about 6-7 years and generally there's at least one parent per child watching. Very different from when I played.

Why not?

A certain number of parents usually attend as assistants, as needed. It's not like it'll be two coaches and 30 kids alone on the field.

Believe it or not, some parents actually enjoy seeing their kids play, and grow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    So in Northern Ireland you can have 400

Down here 0

Great decision from the government

It's going to go down like a lead balloon

Part of making this a success is public buy in and public buy in is decreasing daily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

How would you even police this? You're putting it all down to local volunteers to manage that and disappoint people they know in the community by telling them to go home if they turn up.

Plenty of local level sports are played in public parks or venues with open access, there's no way you could stop people going to the matches.

All thats avoided that to date is good will and the fact that sufficient number of spectators is there for most juvenile and rural sporting games. Take that away though, and people will see that for what it is... nonsensical window dressing which seems to be all they are capable of late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Wake me up when phase 3 ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

I found it quite interesting, in numerous articles today that "sources within FG have said they are frustrated and not pleased" with the restrictions NPHET are suggesting.

Classic Leo :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Antics21

The logic is so dumb I don't even know where to start.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

I very much doubt that the GAA club matches will be scrapped as they have been underway for a month now with very limited numbers of supporters allowed anyway. The intercounty matches that are scheduled for later in the year might be though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Leo should stage a coup :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

MOR316 wrote: »
    I found it quite interesting today, in numerous articles today that "sources within FG have said they are frustrated and not pleased" with the restrictions NPHET are suggesting.

Classic Leo :D

Wait for the 6PM tweet about tough but necessary measures had to be introduced for the good of the Country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Why not?

I agree it sounds a bit ridiculous, but's OTT to suggest that nobody will be bothered playing if there's no spectators. Below 12 years of age, all matches are just for fun anyway, no different training.

I expect this report has been a little overblown, and the reference is to games for anyone over 16. It does mention "sporting events". An under-10s C-league match is not a "sporting event" in any universe.

Lot of parents work and have their own sh*t to do as well.

You can pick out the government fans :D

The soccer club and rugby club nearest to me are operating a drop off and pick up policy for all kids including 7 year olds. Nobody seems to have an issue with it. They must all be government fans, or maybe just practical adults?

• Advertisement

Believe it or not, some parents actually enjoy seeing their kids play, and grow up.
    What you're saying is that some parents are so obsessed with seeing their kids play that they'd rather not let them play than not watch.

Anyway, like I say above, the restriction will be on elite level sports, not training and junior matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

There are four club hurling finals down for decision in Wexford this weekend, including the senior final. Naomh Eanna are in the senior final and have a huge following being the only club in Gorey town.

It was bad enough for them looking to disperse the limited tickets available to them. I watched their semi-final last week in the beer garden in one of the pubs in town, which I imagine will be thronged now if these measures come into place. Talk about being counter-intuitive.

If anything, they should be allowing more people into matches where they have the capacity, as its a controlled environment, and I haven't heard of any issue since the protocols were introduced in Wexford a month ago.

The soccer club and rugby club nearest to me are operating a drop off and pick up policy for all kids including 7 year olds. Nobody seems to have an issue with it. They must all be government fans, or maybe just practical adults?
    I'd say they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

leahyl wrote: »
    Leo should stage a coup :-D

I think only Sinn Fein can save us at this stage. MM is gormless he reminds me. Of the lawyer in the TV show scrubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I know it's not popular but is it not better to try clamp down now rather than wait til schools are back in middle of flu season to try to control measures when there could be even more cases in meantime? Have seen often that delaying measures isn't effective. Neither is coming in and out of lockdown but need to stay on top of it until flu season is over at very least.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement