Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Sounds like they are going to do everything they can to try and get schools open safely. Unfortunate situation but correct I think. If it doesn't work at least we can say we tried our best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I think only Sinn Fein can save us at this stage. MM is gormless he reminds me. Of the lawyer in the TV show scrubs.

SF want even more restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I think only Sinn Fein can save us at this stage. MM is gormless he reminds me. Of the lawyer in the TV show scrubs.

Don't you dare talk about Ted Buckland like that :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

hmmm wrote: »
    Sounds like they are going to do everything they can to try and get schools open safely. Unfortunate situation but correct I think. If it doesn't work at least we can say we tried our best.

Probably should have thought of that back in May and carried out the inspections on meat factories

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

How would you even police this? You're putting it all down to local volunteers to manage that and disappoint people they know in the community by telling them to go home if they turn up.

Plenty of local level sports are played in public parks or venues with open access, there's no way you could stop people going to the matches.

All thats avoided that to date is good will and the fact that sufficient number of spectators is there for most juvenile and rural sporting games. Take that away though, and people will see that for what it is... nonsensical window dressing which seems to be all they are capable of late.

Pretty hard to do so as you point out, but by doing this public health officials are throwing it back on sporting organizations such as the GAA to sort it out. They are giving them a last chance to make it work before ordering a complete shutdown of sporting events if required.

I was at a club game two weeks ago where there were clearly in excess of 200 spectators present. As you say, it was impossible for the GAA to police and there weren't exactly people going around counting the number in attendance. The vast majority of people were observing social distancing.

Now we know that no spectators should be at these games. If there are, and it remains an issue, then sporting events will be axed if required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

So if these reports are true, it will be ok to have 50 people in an indoor restaurant for near 2 hours, but not ok to have 50 people spread around a pitch outdoor for 70/80 Minutes. Crazy logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Eod100 wrote: »
    I know it's not popular but is it not better to try clamp down now rather than wait til schools are back in middle of flu season to try to control measures when there could be even more cases in meantime? Have seen often that delaying measures isn't effective. Neither is coming in and out of lockdown but need to stay on top of it until flu season is over at very least.

the lads whining about the GAA now would be the first ones criticizing the government for not cracking down sooner if there was an outbreak related to a match.

SF want even more restrictions.

They're very much in favour of everyone wearing masks...

Eod100 wrote: »
    I know it's not popular but is it not better to try clamp down now rather than wait til schools are back in middle of flu season to try to control measures when there could be even more cases in meantime? Have seen often that delaying measures isn't effective. Neither is coming in and out of lockdown but need to stay on top of it until flu season is over at very least.

If you are going to clamp down, you clamp down where there is an actual issue, rather than pick an easy target of a list that makes it look like your are doing something when in fact you are doing nothing

eigrod wrote: »
    So if these reports are true, it will be ok to have 50 people in an indoor restaurant for near 2 hours, but not ok to have 50 people spread around a pitch outdoor for 70/80 Minutes. Crazy logic.

Because spending 9 euro on food is the vaccine!! It protects you from the virus!!

Like everyone knows this! Science and all that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Arghus wrote: »
    Oh please. You post nothing but boilerplate right wing contrarian scutter and dress it up in pseudish faux high mindedness. Your opinions are equally predictable.

I don't accept that characterisation. How can the response to a disease be left-wing or right-wing? All the supposed right-wing leaders have gone along with lockdown, including the ones who are a bugbear with the media, and we don't know Tegners' personal politics.

I've been repeating my opinion since March so it ought to be predictable by now.

eigrod wrote: »

you don't think people would be bunched up together at a match? everyone 2 metres from each other? come on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

We need Trump or Bolsonaro here. No one else can save us at this stage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

When is the Press Briefing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

No thanks - I'd prefer NPHET to the army council thanks

If you are going to clamp down, you clamp down where there is an actual issue, rather than pick an easy target of a list that makes it look like your are doing something when in fact you are doing nothing

So basically Irish politics as it always has been?

Clowns signing up to the same Circus every few years...

Oh well.

At least by Nov so many shops,industries,construction sites,pubs,theatres etc will be gone out of business that people congregating wont be much of a problem.

froog wrote: »
    the lads whining about the GAA now would be the first ones criticizing the government for not cracking down sooner if there was an outbreak related to a match.

Its non-science, not based on risk and definitely not the targeted approach that was proposed and is warranted

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tweniebaby

wadacrack wrote: »
    Id would worry about people in rural areas in this age bracket. They live for Pub/GAA . Both gone. Pubs I can understand but this decision is cruel tbh , especially considering outdoor transmission not the main driver of the pandemic in all scientific studies and no clusters have been linked to any sporting activity in the last few weeks

This. If the electoral breakdown is to be believed, there were less than 5 cases in my area at the beginning and on the updated version released on the 12th there was still less than 5 cases. Now I personally know 3 people in this area (all healthcare workers) who've had it around Easter and didn't pass it on the anyone else in their family. So potentially, since April no one in my area has had it. All pubs in the area closed, reduced numbers allowed at Mass, and now they want to stop us from attending the local GAA matches?! Absolute madness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Issue is there's asymptomatic cases and community transmission. Unfortunately virus doesn't stop at county bounds and definitely doesn't stay within most affected regions. The 2 approaches seem to be China and NZ response vs in and out of restrictions like US and Europe. Nobody likes it but I don't see what the alternative is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

How do they enforce the restrictions? We would need about ten thousand more Gardai with full enforcement powers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭celt262

you don't think people would be bunched up together at a match? everyone 2 metres from each other? come on now.

Plenty restaurants have people within a few feet of each other why are they not getting closed down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

I have been to 5 different GAA matches in the last 5 weeks or so and everybody social distanced at them. I had to get a ticket for each. There’s been several GAA club matches on tv and it’s clear that everybody spreads out. It’s very easy to do. Of all the things that may cause spread of the virus, this is very very low down on that list of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Nothing has been announced? Has it? Just save yer breath for later hot porridge. It will have been an awful waste of afternoon angst if it doesn't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭yawhat?

I'd say they do.

Direct quote from the rugby WhatsApp

“ Key changes:
    1. Rugby will be non-contact, so a return to tag rugby for now. This will give us a focus on working on skills such as passing, movement & positioning. As well as fitness!
    2. We will be operating in ‘pods’ of no more than 15 players. Each player will be assigned a team and Coaches allocated up to at least Christmas.
    3. No parents will be allowed to stay for the session... drop and go.
    4. You will need to complete a handwritten form for every session... no form, no play! This is mandatory for contact tracing.
    5. There will be a one way system for drop off and collection.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Antics21

Why stop at matches so?
    Close beaches. Close greenways where there is little space between people using it.
    Close zoos and outdoor parks.
    This is nonsense stuff. Unless they have suddenly pinpointed that the spikes aren't related to factories and workers living conditions but actually relate to the small crowds that were in at games then its just a dart thrown at a board kind of logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

SusanC10 wrote: »
    When is the Press Briefing?

16:16
    A meeting of the cabinet lasting three hours has concluded in the last few minutes.

A press conference with the Taoiseach, Minister for Health and the Chief Medical Officer is expected shortly.

Time for the government to tell the truth.

Our health system is so crap that we cant risk any sort of spike. The rest of Europe will be able to reopen but we are going to have to wait till a vaccine or herd immunity come along.

Its non-science, not based on risk and definitely not the targeted approach that was proposed and is warranted

sporting events have been identified as high risk right since the start for obvious reasons and were one of the first things to be shut down.

why do people need an actual outbreak before the government react? like the nursing homes? the meat factories? i would have thought a big of preempting for once would be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Sports behind closed doors and avoid public transport

What is actually the fûcking point in that. The whole point in mask wearing was to increase capacity of public transport and now they say dont use it

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/coronavirus-ireland-restrictions-no-more-spectators-at-sporting-events-and-people-should-avoid-public-transport-39459259.html

• Advertisement

celt262 wrote: »
    Plenty restaurants have people within a few feet of each other why are they not getting closed down.

And risk outdoors is a tiny fraction of that indoors

tweniebaby wrote: »
    This. If the electoral breakdown is to be believed, there were less than 5 cases in my area at the beginning and on the updated version released on the 12th there was still less than 5 cases. Now I personally know 3 people in this area (all healthcare workers) who've had it around Easter and didn't pass it on the anyone else in their family. So potentially, since April no one in my area has had it. All pubs in the area closed, reduced numbers allowed at Mass, and now they want to stop us from attending the local GAA matches?! Absolute madness

How do you know they didn't have it? You only got tested if symptomatic.

I'll still be using public transport once a week.

**** them

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Antics21

sporting events have been identified as high risk right since the start for obvious reasons and were one of the first things to be shut down.

why do people need an actual outbreak before the government react? like the nursing homes? the meat factories? i would have thought a big of preempting for once would be welcome.

No. Mass gatherings were.
    200 people at a gaa field or stadium is not a mass gathering. Especially when players were counted as part of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭celt262

Gruffalox wrote: »
    Nothing has been announced? Has it? Just save yer breath for later hot porridge. It will have been an awful waste of afternoon angst if it doesn't happen.

A few weeks ago it was doing the rounds that the crowds at games was going to be increased and then it didn't happen could be another false report. Hope so anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Antics21 wrote: »
    No. Mass gatherings were.
    200 people at a gaa field or stadium is not a mass gathering. Especially when players were counted as part of it.

Exactly - and it’s outdoors, you could have 200 in a playground which is smaller area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭rameire

ATM's are being shut down.
    Cash is being removed.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

50,000 people in the Aviva is very different to 50 in the local pitch. The more time people spend outdoors the better, because even if the do come in contact with a case the risk of transmission is low. What do we do, ban people from going to outdoor sports and tell older people to stay inside. If these groups have no outlet, they are far more likely to visit each other, indoors, increasing the risk of spread. Having an outlet for people to congregate in small numbers in relatively safe environments is a measure that I believe will reduce not increase spread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

I assume indoor gatherings such as plays and religious services will be behind closed doors also?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

No they haven't, 200 total in a ground was not a public health risk according to glynn 2 weeks ago.

The 200 includes players , media, medics and whatever space is left for fans. Usually 50 or less in massive outdoor spaces.

50k in the aviva is high risk. 200 people spread out is not

• Advertisement

Antics21 wrote: »
    Why stop at matches so?
    Close beaches. Close greenways where there is little space between people using it.
    Close zoos and outdoor parks.
    This is nonsense stuff. Unless they have suddenly pinpointed that the spikes aren't related to factories and workers living conditions but actually relate to the small crowds that were in at games then its just a dart thrown at a board kind of logic.

i'm sure it's just one of the things being introduced. let's wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭maebee

rameire wrote: »
    ATM's are being shut down.
    Cash is being removed.

Who is shutting them down? Do you have a link to this please ram?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

I’m confused...Like there was only 200 at the sporting event?! They will have 40/50 at an event no? Considering players, physio, etc. Does it make a big difference or maybe I am missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Time for the government to tell the truth.

Our health system is so crap that we cant risk any sort of spike. The rest of Europe will be able to reopen but we are going to have to wait till a vaccine or herd immunity come along.

That is really the crux of it. They don't have a brain or inclination to fix it either so it's just easier to continue borrowing billions that will never be paid back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Dont use public transport

But kids can without distancing? What???

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tweniebaby

How do you know they didn't have it? You only got tested if symptomatic.

I've spoken to some of them since and they've all said they were grand, no symptoms etc. One is related to me so I've no reason to doubt them tbh. At what point did they start testing all close contacts?

*Not disputing that there could have been/still be those who are asymptomatic, but given the size of area it's surprising that there are still only less than 5 confirmed cases since March

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

50,000 people in the Aviva is very different to 50 in the local pitch. The more time people spend outdoors the better, because even if the do come in contact with a case the risk of transmission is low. What do we do, ban people from going to outdoor sports and tell older people to stay inside. If these groups have no outlet, they are far more likely to visit each other, indoors, increasing the risk of spread. Having an outlet for people to congregate in small numbers in relatively safe environments is a measure that I believe will reduce not increase spread

+ its easier to hone in on clusters in the case of an outbreak and test if everyones contact details are taken at the gate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Can we uh wait and see what is actually proposed before knocking down phantom totems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Plenty of noise about FG being unhappy. Will we see Leo break rank this evening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭snowgal

I have to say, IF this is all announced by Meeee hallllll, its crazy decision. I can go to the cinema, inside with 49 people for hours and thats fine but I cant go and watch my nephew playing in a big wide open field for an hour???? Also avoid transport......what???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement