Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

MOR316 wrote: »
    I'll still be using public transport once a week.

**** them
    It looks like the majority of the new restrictions will be applying to over-70s, including the advice to avoid public transport.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Turtwig wrote: »
    Can we uh wait and see what is actually proposed before knocking down phantom totems?

That's the kinda talk that the staff who work at Clayton Hotel on Pearse Street have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

A list of some viruses that casue myocarditis

Coxsackie (A, B)

Adenovirus (Common cold)

Influenza (A, B)

Herpes simplex

Cytomegalovirus

Varicella-zoster virus (Chicken Pox)

Epstein-Barr virus

Mumps

Rubella

Rubeola (Measles)

Vaccinia (used as part of small pox vaccine)

Rabies

Coronavirus (the plain old common cold variety)

Hepatitis B

HIV

https://westjem.com/case-report/fatal-influenza-b-myocarditis-in-a-34-year-old-female.html

Yes...buuuuutttttt.. :)

Rabies - fairly fecken unfortunate if you manage to catch rabies.
    HIV - ya can't get it from picking your nose after touching the petrol pump.
    Common colds and flus - there is a lot of built up immunity in the population against these things. I have only ever got the flu once.
    Mumps, rubella, measles, chicken pox - we usually get them as kids if we get them, there are vaccines and some immunity probably from breastfeeding anyway. And then we have good immunity after the childhood wars.
    Hep B and Herpes - first has vaccine, both require a certain amount of slobber exchange, so are not as easy to catch as picking your nose after you call the lift.
    Epstein Barr - again slobber. 90% of us have had it. 1 in 100000 get myocarditis from it which is 0.001%. I'll take me chances.

Coxsackie and cytomegolamia :D - never heard of them. Glad to have never heard of them.

Re Covid most of us have zero proven immunity. So if it causes even smallish amounts of inflammation of heart that could be big numbers on macro scale and no thanks, I still don't want it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Plenty of noise about FG being unhappy. Will we see Leo break rank this evening?

I doubt it. He’ll tow the consensus line for now at least...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Plenty of noise about FG being unhappy. Will we see Leo break rank this evening?
    FG are taking advantage of being in opposition while being in government, it's just bluster in my opinion. I don't think going to the country on a platform of relaxing restrictions would be a good campaign strategy. FG need to run on a competence platform, and their opportunity would come if cases looked like they were getting out of control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

seamus wrote: »
    It looks like the majority of the new restrictions will be applying to over-70s, including the advice to avoid public transport.

Point still stands that though.

**** them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭spookwoman

seamus wrote: »

Will those whinging about the young being restricted have anything to say about the elderly having their lives restricted more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

seems like they want to shut everything down & just have kids going to school & essential workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Absolutely ridiculous decision to have sports behind closed doors. This government have lost the plot

spookwoman wrote: »
    Will those whinging about the young being restricted have anything to say about the elderly having their lives restricted more.

But the young aren’t affected to the same extent. They are not going to die potentially. Measures only work when they equate to risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Absolutely ridiculous decision to have sports behind closed doors. This government have lost the plot

Unless that’s been a large contributor to cases I really fail to see what that achieves

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

He's right but cabinet has passed this. Absolute joke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

celt262 wrote: »
    A few weeks ago it was doing the rounds that the crowds at games was going to be increased and then it didn't happen could be another false report. Hope so anyway.
    The journalist that broke the news was the same one that said 200 crowds would remain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,552 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They have lost the public already, new restrictions will result in civil unrest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭spookwoman

road_high wrote: »
    But the young aren’t affected to the same extent. They are not going to die potentially. Measures only work when they equate to risk.

And the young don't get it or spread? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I presume there will be big numbers announced this evening coinciding with these new measures....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Next brainwave will be to call of the GAA altogether.

Here in Cork the last round of football championship group games before knockout begins is on September 4th. Most teams still have something to play for so will be focused on the matches that weekend. That means no drinking (read no house parties) on the weekend before and that weekend for any teams playing on the Sunday.

Wouldn't be surprised if they went all the way and called it off altogether which will have the above effects. No joined up thinking and thoughts into the consequences of these decisions at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

They have lost the public already, new restrictions will result in civil unrest.

Calm down there will ya.:rolleyes:

In fairness, we have absolutely made a dogs dinner of our response since the new Govt came into effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I remember Harris saying these restrictions can't be put on people too long so you have to get the timing right. Everyone was saying "How long can they possible last" and all of a sudden we're 5 months down the road and still under a level of restriction.

At this stage I'm wondering are the government surprised people are still abiding to distancing and were always just waiting for the public to push back heavily, so it's not their fault, hence the blind eye to meat plants and tourism from abroad, to just banning spectators at sports.

Back when Harris, Varadkar and others were saying that about how long people can put up with restrictions I think they genuinely hadn't envisioned a situation where the virus would still be spreading going into the Autumn. I think they accepted that it might take April, May and some of June, but the situation would have definitely righted itself by August, sure look we have a plan to have all the pubs open again by August 10th, things are surely going to be sound by then... There was a total naivete about how truly long and drawn out this is all going to be. Varadkar himself made comments during the week about how he was initially expecting it to be a sharp shock to the economy, but now reckons it's going to go on and on. That underlines to me how a essential misunderstanding of the reality - even a hopeful innocence - shaped everyone's thinking back in the early days.

Something like this occurring was beyond all of our comprehension and understanding in January and February. And that includes all our leaders and decision makers. They aren't equipped really to dealing with this, like we're all not really equipped to dealing with this. There's no set playbook with guaranteed outcomes that we can turn too. And that drives people crazy, but, unfortunately, that's the nature of what we're dealing with here. What's the point of the government saying this will all be over in x or y weeks or months? They don't know that. No one does. Could be five months, could be twenty months. People don't want to accept that uncertainty. They want to be told that it's all overblown and that things will be totally fine once all those restrictions are lifted or that this plan will 100% work. Not going to happen. It's delusional, but delusion can be very appealing, especially at a time like this of great stress and worry.

As it turns out you can't just make something like this go away by adding time to the equation. I'm sure the government would love to eradicate this virus tomorrow and throw open the doors to businesses everywhere, but it's not as simple as that. Restrictions are going to continue, because the alternative to restrictions is more virus and that's never going to be seriously countenanced by government. Right now we have a two thirds functional economy, but if we take the foot of the brakes we'll be right back, eventually, in even more restrictions than we already have. It's inevitable. And that's more damaging potentially to the economy and society than what we're currently going through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭yawhat?

Do the people outraged by the sporting decision believe that this will be the final straw that will break the back of widespread compliance with recommended restrictions?

Are the populace at breaking point?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

maebee wrote: »
    Who is shutting them down? Do you have a link to this please ram?

That poster is being sarcastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭FullOf..IT

Is there any chance tests are picking up remnants of a long gone virus? Find it strange that Meat Processing, DP missed first wave but not now?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I presume there will be big numbers announced this evening coinciding with these new measures....
    31 positive tests in the last 24 hours. Backlog cases if they are announced.

Glorified propaganda to justify the nonsense of today if they do release massive amounts of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭blackcard

I think that there is zero chance of games being played behind closed doors. No politician would endorse this or else he would be history. Even if all spectators have to wear masks, they will have to allow some spectators to attend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

yawhat? wrote: »
    Do the people outraged by the sporting decision believe that this will be the final straw that will break the back of widespread compliance with recommended restrictions?

Eh...no. Go over to the Restrictions thread where you'll find the revolutionaries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Nowhere near it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I think they're being brought in on the back of the 200 new cases on Saturday just gone.

I guess they need to be seen to be proactive now.

Gruffalox wrote: »
    Yes...buuuuutttttt.. :)

Rabies - fairly fecken unfortunate if you manage to catch rabies.
    HIV - ya can't get it from picking your nose after touching the petrol pump.
    Common colds and flus - there is a lot of built up immunity in the population against these things. I have only ever got the flu once.
    Mumps, rubella, measles, chicken pox - we usually get them as kids if we get them, there are vaccines and some immunity probably from breastfeeding anyway. And then we have good immunity after the childhood wars.
    Hep B and Herpes - first has vaccine, both require a certain amount of slobber exchange, so are not as easy to catch as picking your nose after you call the lift.
    Epstein Barr - again slobber. 90% of us have had it. 1 in 100000 get myocarditis from it which is 0.001%. I'll take me chances.

Coxsackie and cytomegolamia :D - never heard of them. Glad to have never heard of them.

Re Covid most of us have zero proven immunity. So if it causes even smallish amounts of inflammation of heart that could be big numbers on macro scale and no thanks, I still don't want it.

WHO estimate 1 billion cases of influenza occur annually with studies detecting signs on Myocarditis in approx 10% of cases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

ChikiChiki wrote: »

In fairness, we have absolutely made a dogs dinner of our response since the new Govt came into effect.

Seriously, where have MM been the last few weeks? Haven’t seen his mug anywhere, bar when he was meeting with BJ up north.

M

I want to know the restrictions now to moan about, lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Yeh going by the reaction on twitter, theres gonna be uproar over the Sports events.

How the **** is it ok to go to the pub have a few pints with your meal, ok to send 30 kids plus 2 or 3 adults into a room all day next week, but not allowed stand outside in a field social distancing watching a young fella playing football?

FF and FG are to blame for this. Wouldn't even count the green as they dont have a say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

No it won't.
    People in this country will just bend over and take it up the arse like they always do.

It's an Irish thing and has been for centuries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭celt262

No i will still take steps to protect myself and my elderly parents but this is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Probably. They may have held back cases yesterday to have high cases today to help quantify new measures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,643 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

rameire wrote: »
    ATM's are being shut down.
    Cash is being removed.

By a digger :D seriously WTF not that I use atms alot

M

Yeh going by the reaction on twitter, theres gonna be uproar over the Sports events.

How the **** is it ok to go to the pub have a few pints with your meal, ok to send 30 kids plus 2 or 3 adults into a room all day next week, but not allowed stand outside in a field social distancing watching a young fella playing football?

FF and FG are to blame for this. Wouldn't even count the green as they dont have a say.

And ok for 300 people to work on top of each other in a meat factory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The backlogged cases probably being announced today after new measures doesn't sit well with me tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

The old Govt started it with the shambles at the start, airports open, flights from everywhere, nursing homes, testing issues.

Just dont blame the new Govt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Are we sure it's Varadkar dissenting? Donohue has said about the general situation recently, which seems telling

• Advertisement

hmmm wrote: »
    FG are taking advantage of being in opposition while being in government, it's just bluster in my opinion. I don't think going to the country on a platform of relaxing restrictions would be a good campaign strategy. FG need to run on a competence platform, and their opportunity would come if cases looked like they were getting out of control.

I think the competence platform is working. Every time MM and SD speak any illusion of competence is shattered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Well I only ever supported voluntary restrictions for the elderly and some of the elderly people I know refused to cocoon. Not all elderly support shutting down the country and putting it into stasis either, with people telling them 'its for your benefit'.

M

The backlogged cases probably being announced today after new measures doesn't sit well with me tbh

I'd say banked results over a number of days to be released to shock and awe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Civil unrest coming now.
    Enough is enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,643 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sports behind closed doors and avoid public transport

What is actually the fûcking point in that. The whole point in mask wearing was to increase capacity of public transport and now they say dont use it

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/coronavirus-ireland-restrictions-no-more-spectators-at-sporting-events-and-people-should-avoid-public-transport-39459259.html

Is Eamon Ryan going to provide bicycles for everyone

M

How many cases are linked to spectators at sporting events in open air?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

rameire wrote: »
    ATM's are being shut down.
    Cash is being removed.

Now there's something that I can get behind, we're heading that way anyway. My only concern is the dodgy landlords who'll have the hole in the wall up on Daft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,984 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

new restrictions will result in civil unrest.

Lol...wonder what that would look like.
    Covid-19 forum denizens take to the streets with their tricolours and "RTE is the virus" signs!

And the young don't get it or spread? :rolleyes:

They don’t die or face major consequences- that is a good thing thankfully and a huge advantage. If it affected everyone uniformly then we’d be in big trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Absolutely. As absurd as it sounds that cases are held back for certain days and announcements, it’s starting to become a bit of a coincidence. Doesn’t take a tinfoil hat to see that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement