Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

marno21 wrote: »
    31 positive tests in the last 24 hours. Backlog cases if they are announced.

Glorified propaganda to justify the nonsense of today if they do release massive amounts of cases.

You're misinterpreting the numbers you have, and you don't have access to most of them. Far more than 31 positives over the past 2 days.

Nothing got to do with propaganda, these are real people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Unless meat plants are also closed, just no, that is nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Arghus wrote: »
    Back when Harris, Varadkar and others were saying that about how long people can put up with restrictions I think they genuinely hadn't envisioned a situation where the virus would still be spreading going into the Autumn.
    I agree, I think the big failure in communication has been that the public hasn't been told that this is not going to end in a few weeks. It's been a worldwide failure really.

Vaccine announcement by the end of this year, vaccination by mid next year is the best case scenario and still the likely scenario. In the meantime we need to help businesses survive, propping up ones which can open and supporting those which can't, and reboot everything next year as the vaccination program rolls out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Gael23 wrote: »
    Civil unrest coming now.
    Enough is enough

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,552 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Civil unrest coming now.
    Enough is enough

A convoy of cars to Croke Park to open it up for a kickabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I think the competence platform is working. Every time MM and SD speak any illusion of competence is shattered

Can MM just step down already, he's got his taoiseach pension, time to let someone slightly competent do the job.

Arghus wrote: »
    Back when Harris, Varadkar and others were saying that about how long people can put up with restrictions I think they genuinely hadn't envisioned a situation where the virus would still be spreading going into the Autumn. I think they accepted that it might take April, May and some of June, but the situation would have definitely righted itself by August, sure look we have a plan to have all the pubs open again by August 10th, things are surely going to be sound by then... There was a total naivete about how truly long and drawn out this is all going to be. Varadkar himself made comments during the week about how he was initially expecting it to be a sharp shock to the economy, but now reckons it's going to go on and on. That underlines to me how a essential misunderstanding of the reality - even a hopeful innocence - shaped everyone's thinking back in the early days.

Something like this occurring was beyond all of our comprehension and understanding in January and February. And that includes all our leaders and decision makers. They aren't equipped really to dealing with this, like we're all not really equipped to dealing with this. There's no set playbook with guaranteed outcomes that we can turn too. And that drives people crazy, but, unfortunately, that's the nature of what we're dealing with here. What's the point of the government saying this will all be over in x or y weeks or months? They don't know that. No one does. Could be five months, could be twenty months. People don't want to accept that uncertainty. They want to be told that it's all overblown and that things will be totally fine once all those restrictions are lifted or that this plan will 100% work. Not going to happen. It's delusional, but delusion can be very appealing, especially at a time like this of great stress and worry.

As it turns out you can't just make something like this go away by adding time to the equation. I'm sure the government would love to eradicate this virus tomorrow and throw open the doors to businesses everywhere, but it's not as simple as that. Restrictions are going to continue, because the alternative to restrictions is more virus and that's never going to be seriously countenanced by government. Right now we have a two thirds functional economy, but if we take the foot of the brakes we'll be right back, eventually, in even more restrictions than we already have. It's inevitable. And that's more damaging potentially to the economy and society than what we're currently going through.

There was a clear understanding among anyone who understood anything about the virus that it would still be going on in the Autumn. The original conception of the restrictions was to prevent surges in the health system, not eliminate the virus. Maybe some started to believe when the measures had such a dramatic impact that elimination was possible, but it was never the primary function

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭snowgal

maybe this is all a fake lead to enrage us so then when Mee halll comes out to tell us no we're actually doing x y and z and we'll be like oh phew, thats ok so! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Very interested to hear the logic on this. Seems like every environment "but schools" are unsafe because that's exactly the message they are giving. 30 people in a small room for hours is fine. 200 people in a much larger outdoor setting for 120 minutes is not safe. With 2 weeks to schools opening, I am not loving the mixed messages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,868 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I think the competence platform is working. Every time MM and SD speak any illusion of competence is shattered

And then the lovely Norma is not allowed to speak all, so what does that say about her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Civil unrest coming now.
    Enough is enough

Calm yourself rambo go for a walk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

GooglePlus wrote: »
    No there's something that I can get behind, we're heading that way anyway. My only concern is the dodgy landlords who'll have the hole in the wall up on Daft.

i haven't used cash in about 4 months. still, a ban on ATMs would cause a panic run on money which we don't need right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

No doubt a huge number this evening to try and justify these insane measures.

The COVID obsession in this country is off the charts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

hmmm wrote: »
    Eh...no. Go over to the Restrictions thread where you'll find the revolutionaries.

You mean the keyboard warriors who in real life do exactly as they are told to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,643 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The backlogged cases probably being announced today after new measures doesn't sit well with me tbh

Will we ever get clear honest reporting from them at the briefings

There must be large clusters of positive cases from sporting events that they are now behind closed doors, I thought outside was safer than inside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

[HTML][/HTML]
    Amirani wrote: »
    You're misinterpreting the numbers you have, and you don't have access to most of them. Far more than 31 positives over the past 2 days.

Nothing got to do with propaganda, these are real people.

Really? C'mon, you can't surely be that naive?

"Real people" they may be but, when that ever matter to the Governments in this country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

The restrictions are pretty light. It reeks of making an attempt to be seeing to be doing something without actually doing a whole lot to reduce the spread of the virus. Get on top of Civil Servants for a start and force them to actually go into the field and inspect the meat plants daily. Split up direct provision centres, investigate the allegations of labour employed by meat plants not paying into the Irish tax system. These are meaningful actions.

Waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,643 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Can MM just step down already, he's got his taoiseach pension, time to let someone slightly competent do the job.

I nominate vote ACE of Boards.ie party

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

They're taking their time with this conference. No doubt some speechwriter is trying to spin all these things into a positive.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Civil unrest coming now.
    Enough is enough

Nowhere near it. Stop spouting nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    The restrictions are pretty light. It reeks of making an attempt to be seeing to be doing something without actually doing a whole lot to reduce the spread of the virus. Get on top of Civil Servants for a start and force them to actually go into the field and inspect the meat plants daily.

Waste of time.

I wouldn't mind if there was proper reason behind them but this stinks of doing something for the sake of it. As you say seen to doing something.

Makes absolutely no sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

A ban on cash will lead to a black market in unofficial currencies. Would be interested to know what the penalty for holding such would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

They're taking their time with this conference. No doubt some speechwriter is trying to spin all these things into a positive.

"What's another way of saying "we're all in this together?""

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

rameire wrote: »
    ATM's are being shut down.
    Cash is being removed.
    Friends of Sinn Fein are renting out JCB diggers at cheap rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

What is all this about a ban on cash ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A lot of people here getting worked up over rumours and "inside sources".

Calm your tits lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

"The next 3 weeks are crucial".

"The next 3 weeks are crucial".
    *3 weeks pass*

"The next 3 weeks are crucial"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Measures to be in until 13th of September at the earliest

Best part of a month

Not even the three usual weeks

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    I think they're being brought in on the back of the 200 new cases on Saturday just gone.

I guess they need to be seen to be proactive now.

They may want to be seen as proactive, but what they are actually doing is ultra reactive. No change in 7 day average in over a week and looks like the last 24 hours is the lowest daily positive rate in a couple of weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

FFG completely lost the run of themselves.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Best part of a month

Where are ye getting all this info? Is there a press conference or something?

Do they not have a PR person? Any competent PR person in a political party would be ripping their hair out right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

seamus wrote: »
    A lot of people here getting worked up over rumours and "inside sources".

Calm your tits lads.

The reports from RTE in the hours leading up to an announcement tend to not be too far off the mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Best part of a month

If they apply from this weekend till the 13th, then that's about 3 weeks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Drumpot wrote: »
    Very interested to hear the logic on this. Seems like every environment "but schools" are unsafe because that's exactly the message they are giving. 30 people in a small room for hours is fine. 200 people in a much larger outdoor setting for 120 minutes is not safe. With 2 weeks to schools opening, I am not loving the mixed messages.

It's mental, I'm normally understanding of most of the restrictions but changing this one with no evidence it's causing any outbreak is batsh1t mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Do they not have a PR person? Any competent PR person in a political party would be ripping their hair out right now.

Terry Prone basically represents everyone :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Stheno wrote: »

RTÉ News

• Advertisement

The original time for this press conference was 3pm. It is now almost 5 and nothing yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

How about shutting down the affected plants/factories?

Food is of vital importance. Watching people play sports isn't.

Food is of vital importance. Watching people play sports isn't.
    I'm fairly certain you can live without packaged ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Yes. Yes, they do.
    They also will have drafted multiple speeches prior to this meeting to cover many eventuality. Similar to a corporation releasing a press release after a legal case. They draft all reasonable possible outcomes and then publish the one most appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭gifted

The original time for this press conference was 3pm. It is now almost 5 and nothing yet.

I actually sat down your watch it at 3....I've had a nap...a cup of tea....and still nothing.....must have been an interesting meeting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,552 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Hopefully the journalist at the press conference lay in to them properly with questions asking them to back up their decisions with evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

They may want to be seen as proactive, but what they are actually doing is ultra reactive. No change in 7 day average in over a week and looks like the last 24 hours is the lowest daily positive rate in a couple of weeks

It only goes one way if new restrictions aren't put in place but outdoor games being affected in place of some obvious red flags that should be address instead is ludicrous.

All that they'll see now is a pissed off nation who'll lose their head even more when these restrictions have no impact.

Might not even be true though, so let's see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Stheno wrote: »

This and other measures will be in place until 13 September at the earliest.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0818/1159881-all-sporting-events-set-to-be-behind-closed-doors/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

They are out the back picking matches, shortest three get to annouce it.:D

Turtwig wrote: »
    Yes. Yes, they do.
    They also will have drafted multiple speeches prior to this meeting to cover many eventuality. Similar to a corporation releasing a press release after a legal case. They draft all reasonable possible outcomes and then publish the one most appropriate.
    Any sort of competent PR person would realise that governmental support is about to plummet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Really impressive from the government if true.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement