Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Food is of vital importance. Watching people play sports isn't.

As I replied to you earlier regarding schools.

Explain how 50 people spread out in a 10k capacity stadium helps get the schools open ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

I'm fairly certain you can live without packaged ham.

"Packaged Ham" would make a great name for a band

Amirani wrote: »
    You're misinterpreting the numbers you have, and you don't have access to most of them. Far more than 31 positives over the past 2 days.

Nothing got to do with propaganda, these are real people.

We dont know how many more cases than 31 there has been over the last 2 days. There are 150 held over from the previous 48 hours, but if they are from Saturday or Sunday, we don't know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

seamus wrote: »
    If they apply from this weekend till the 13th, then that's about 3 weeks.

Restrictions usually apply from midnight of the day they're announced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭snowgal

The original time for this press conference was 3pm. It is now almost 5 and nothing yet.

cos Meehall is crappng himself, knowing he has to come out in his boring boring voice and tell us the bad news....Id say hes putting it off for as long as possible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

MOR316 wrote: »
    "Packaged Ham" would make a great name for a band

MOR316 and the False Positives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Arghus wrote: »
    Back when Harris, Varadkar and others were saying that about how long people can put up with restrictions I think they genuinely hadn't envisioned a situation where the virus would still be spreading going into the Autumn. I think they accepted that it might take April, May and some of June, but the situation would have definitely righted itself by August, sure look we have a plan to have all the pubs open again by August 10th, things are surely going to be sound by then... There was a total naivete about how truly long and drawn out this is all going to be.

This was the source of my pretty-heavy anxiety in March and April tbh. It seemed like everyone was pulling on the jersey and having fun posting #stayathome on instagram and I just kept looking at the situation and thinking "What?!". Lots of friends and families just getting on with it as if it would be short term, etc, and the only conclusion I could get to was this is going to go on for far longer than most expect. It wasn't even anxiety about Covid, it was about the reaction people would have when it went on too long, and how you even go about unwinding such measures without a clear exit such as vaccine. And now here we are 5 months later talking about bringing in restrictions that won't have any effect on the numbers. Mental.

Really impressive from the government if true.

ah you've just proved your on a wind up.

Whats impressive about it ?

Any logic behind some of these decisions because they appear to be pointless

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

snowgal wrote: »
    cos Meehall is crappng himself, knowing he has to come out in his boring boring voice and tell us the bad news....Id say hes putting it off for as long as possible!

Don't forget the incessant, never ending hand waving. God it drives me demented.

Really impressive from the government if true.

How are you not banned from this thread?

You're the ultimate WUM :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I'm fairly certain you can live without packaged ham.

Certain you can live without watching sports as well.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    The restrictions are pretty light. It reeks of making an attempt to be seeing to be doing something without actually doing a whole lot to reduce the spread of the virus. Get on top of Civil Servants for a start and force them to actually go into the field and inspect the meat plants daily. Split up direct provision centres, investigate the allegations of labour employed by meat plants not paying into the Irish tax system. These are meaningful actions.

Waste of time.

Agree. Nothing there that will change current numbers. To me the lax quarantine of visitors is key to all this. How can you try to open everything up with infected people arriving into our country every week not properly contained. Has taken two months of this to get us to were we are now. Then asking older people to shield. They must feel let down by the government. Reactionary actions and their original plan is in tatters. They probably need to go back to phase 2, but know the people won't stand for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

spookwoman wrote: »
    The fact you're arguing for meat factories vs sports says it all. Blinkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

ah you've just proved your on a wind up.

Whats impressive about it ?

Any logic behind some of these decisions because they appear to be pointless

Without fail every evening. I'm far from optimistic at the best of times but this chap feeds off the souls of children.

growleaves wrote: »
    MOR316 and the False Positives

"Growleaves, Growleaves, GRROOOWLEEEEAVES...I'm begging of you please don't take my man"

MOR316 wrote: »
    How are you not banned from this thread?

You're the ultimate WUM :D

I dunno why people bother responding to such nonsense tbh. Just ignore it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Can live without schools too but we seem to be intent on opening them up at the cost of everything else.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Under the restrictions, that will remain in place until 13 September at the earliest, indoor events will be limited to six people - reduced from 50 - except for businesses likes shops and restaurants which are subject to separate rules.

Weddings will be exempted from the new restrictions, meaning they can go ahead with fifty people.

wtf, weddings are immune from the virus?

What were they smoking?

growleaves wrote: »
    A ban on cash will lead to a black market in unofficial currencies. Would be interested to know what the penalty for holding such would be.

Who is talking about banning cash apart from one post from someone trying to be funny and a few more running with it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Enough is enough now.this madness has to stop now.nhpet have to be told hey lads feck off and let people live.this isn’t going to end well.were all in this together.ya fcuking right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭redarmy

Sources suggest that gov are considering significant measures including reducing the amount of participants allowed at indoor & outdoor social, recreational, cultural, entertainment and sporting gatherings. More stringent enforcement of face covering wearing & travel restriction

Stheno wrote: »
    wtf, weddings are immune from the virus?

What were they smoking?
    Weddings can continue but outdoor spectators can't? I don't even know what to say

What is the public health issue with 50 people spread out in a large open area watching a match ?

There isn't

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Without fail every evening. I'm far from an optimistic at the best of times but this chap feeds off the souls of children.

Would explain why he's so eager for Schools to reopen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

6 people to be allowed attend funerals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Longing

It wouldn't surprise me if schools now will be delayed opening until after 13 September. Some wacky decisions been leaked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭Patser

Still sounds like a lot of fuss over very little - matches will be annoying, and over 70s will be annoyed - but nothing about restrictions in Kildare, Offaly or Laois - nothing about Tipp's numbers or Carlow's, nothing about large scale restrictions on movement...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Any word on when press conference is? In time for 6pm news?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Any sort of competent PR person would realise that governmental support is about to plummet.

Possibly but public support is not rational or predictable. In many cases more draconian restrictions, the perception that a politician is taking decisive action can lead to more support.

People don't not love dictators for a reason.

Can live without schools too but we seem to be intent on opening them up at the cost of everything else.

I know, I have no idea what their line of thinking is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

redarmy wrote: »
    Sources suggest that gov are considering significant measures including reducing the amount of participants allowed at indoor & outdoor social, recreational, cultural, entertainment and sporting gatherings. More stringent enforcement of face covering wearing & travel restriction

interesting. you'd swear it was an outright singular attack on the GAA by some of the posts here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Food is of vital importance. Watching people play sports isn't.

The sports games (for the most part) are appropriately managed and distanced, and kept within public health guidelines with no indication of clusters started by them, affected meat and other factories are another story.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Any sort of competent PR person would realise that governmental support is about to plummet.

Why is it about to plummet? Because you say so?

What is the public health issue with 50 people spread out in a large open area watching a match ?

There isn't

Exactly. The players and management are included in the 200 so in all reality it's a maximum of 100 spectators.

I'm in Sligo. All GAA grounds can hold multiples of this number.

I'm actually closer to people at my workplace or even walking down the street than I am at a match FFS

Why? Because you say so?
    You seem intent on defending the government here John. You seem to be in the minority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Dr O' Tuathail putting it back to Cabinet here: https://twitter.com/DrZeroCraic/status/1295749729104650245?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

redarmy wrote: »

They better not touch businesses again

Restaurants, hotel's, cafe's, gym's etc have put up with enough

I don't know about anyone else but I am far more worried of catching that god damn awful Flu I had in December than Covid19, where people my age seem to be getting no symptoms

I was floored for 2 weeks with that Flu, lost 6kg, no taste, smell etc, sweating like a dog with that fever

There isn't

I have no interest in sport and couldn't give a sh*t if they restrict it to 50 people or none.
    What has that got to do with "Certain you can live without watching sports as well."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

The rules for schools are the opposite of what they are advising for everywhere else.

1000 or more in a lot of schools, all inside in old buildings with poor ventilation, no social distancing, no perspex screens, full capacity of multiple different schools on school transport.

Schools need to open, but going with this plan will not end well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Because Martin is a weak leader and the worst ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

This is a step too far.
    People need to take a stand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Turtwig wrote: »
    Possibly but public support is not rational or predictable. In many cases more draconian restrictions, the perception that a politician is taking decisive action can lead to more support.

People don't not love dictators for a reason.

Similarly, it can be a bit bizarre what sets the public off. Something like the sporting events, despite not being that huge right now, could oddly be the straw that broke the camel's back. I've not seen online reaction (across platforms) as overwhelmingly negative to any restrictions floated before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,552 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Weddings can continue but outdoor spectators can't? I don't even know what to say

Weddings where people travel from all over the world to attend, you really couldn't make up this idiotic parish pump approach, gombeens.

Because it's Human Nature (Great song)
    You can only push people so far.

If you can't see that then, fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

RTE had a load of new restrictions listed on the live blog on their website, then they took it down again.

Including max 15 people at outdoor gatherings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Necro wrote: »
    Exactly. The players and management are included in the 200 so in all reality it's a maximum of 100 spectators.

I'm in Sligo. All GAA grounds can hold multiples of this number.

I'm actually closer to people at my workplace or even walking down the street than I am at a match FFS
    From what I've read, the problems are less about what happens at the matches and more about how they travel there (sharing cars, bus etc.) and what happens after the match (parties etc.).

I don't think it's enough simply to announce restrictions. The government need to explain why certain actions are being taken.

The sports games (for the most part) are appropriately managed and distanced, and kept within public health guidelines with no indication of clusters started by them, affected meat and other factories are another story.

It doesn't have to be either or - appropriate protective measure in a factory with good segregation into pods and enhanced inspections in factories, and just f**king play the games, outdoors in front of small crowds with minimal risk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I know, I have no idea what their line of thinking is.

Because its important to get the kids back. We need to move on and live with this like Europe has

I can understand their decision on weddings...

Let's face it, having Zara King hound you everyday about Weddings would be enough to make you come to that decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭SteHam

Can't see how our countries top public health experts, most of which led us through our initial wave very well, have come to the conclusion that small GAA matches outdoors are a cause for concern.

Maybe they're miffed at the GAA for kicking them out of Croke Park (joking).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement