Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

spookwoman wrote: »
    I have no interest in sport and couldn't give a sh*t if they restrict it to 50 people or none.
    What has that got to do with "Certain you can live without watching sports as well."

There you go you've no interest in it so you couldn't care less anyway.

Whats the logic behind stopping 50 people going to a match ? There isn't, it doesn't make sense.

For some of us it was a welcome outlet now gone again for no reason

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Dampsquid wrote: »
    RTE had a load of new restrictions listed on the live blog on their website, then they took it down again.

Including max 15 people at outdoor gatherings.

Yes, I have that here actually! Screenshotted and sent it to someone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

hmmm wrote: »
    From what I've read, the problems are less about what happens at the matches and more about how they travel there (sharing cars, bus etc.) and what happens after the match (parties etc.).

I don't think it's enough simply to announce restrictions. The government need to explain why certain actions are being taken.

Yeah I'd love to see the reasoning behind this because it seems like they're making a big deal out of something that isn't a factor in the latest outbreaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

MOR316 wrote: »
    I can understand their decision on weddings...

Let's face it, having Zara King hound you everyday about Weddings would be enough to make you come to that decision

At least someone will be happy at the presser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Who is talking about banning cash apart from one post from someone trying to be funny and a few more running with it?

Its happening in Australia right now and its the been floated for years even before covid created the urgent necessity to dismantle normal life:

Coronavirus forces record number of ATMs, bank branches to close

My least favourite formula: "The virus forced us to do x, y, x"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Whats the logic behind stopping 50 people going to a match ? There isn't, it doesn't make sense.

No reason, there is always a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

There was a clear understanding among anyone who understood anything about the virus that it would still be going on in the Autumn. The original conception of the restrictions was to prevent surges in the health system, not eliminate the virus. Maybe some started to believe when the measures had such a dramatic impact that elimination was possible, but it was never the primary function

Of course they assumed that the virus would still be here in Autumn, but I'm pretty certain that they thought of that as a situation where we'd have sporadic cases popping up every now and again and that we'd have figured out a way to stay on top of it with the minimum of disruption. There's no way they saw hundreds of cases per every couple of days again within about 7-8 weeks and parts of their plan never seeing the light of day. The proof of that was in their behaviour. Leo was just interested in giving us good news for the last month of his reign - we're going to rip through the phases, summer isn't lost etc, etc - and FF were entirely occupied by the own navel gazing for their first few weeks in government. They didn't want to say it, but the crisis was pretty much over as far as our politicians were concerned. They didn't think it was going to be like this going into September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Drunken weddings can continue :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Gael23 wrote: »
    This is a step too far.
    People need to take a stand

Off you go so pal. Lead the way you rebel.

• Advertisement

Give 1 valid reason why sports has been affected and things like indoor weddings can continue as normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

AdamD wrote: »
    Similarly, it can be a bit bizarre what sets the public off. Something like the sporting events, despite not being that huge right now, could oddly be the straw that broke the camel's back. I've not seen online reaction (across platforms) as overwhelmingly negative to any restrictions floated before

Yeah very fair point. Need to gauge between social media reactions and public in general. Be interesting to see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Because its important to get the kids back. We need to move on and live with this like Europe has

But all signs are that we're not moving on and living with it. If they go ahead with opening the schools, we're effectively being told that having 50 people watching a sports game outside is more dangerous than having 30 kids in a classroom. There's no logic or consistency here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Eod100 wrote: »

That's insane that churches are exempt, given that the demographic of those who would attend church would tend to be older

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Necro wrote: »
    Yeah I'd love to see the reasoning behind this because it seems like they're making a big deal out of something that isn't a factor in the latest outbreaks.

Think someone posted that outbreak was linked to underage camogie match but it's probably a 100 odd pages back now..! But seemed to be more 22 people living in 2 bed house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Thierry12 wrote: »
    They better not touch businesses again

Restaurants, hotel's, cafe's, gym's etc have put up with enough

I don't know about anyone else but I am far more worried of catching that god damn awful Flu I had in December than Covid19, where people my age seem to be getting no symptoms

I was floored for 2 weeks with that Flu, lost 6kg, no taste, smell etc, sweating like a dog with that fever

No taste and smell are classic symptoms of covid, not influenza though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,552 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Indoor events limited to 6 people yet a few hundred people can shop at the local supermarket.

This was the source of my pretty-heavy anxiety in March and April tbh. It seemed like everyone was pulling on the jersey and having fun posting #stayathome on instagram and I just kept looking at the situation and thinking "What?!". Lots of friends and families just getting on with it as if it would be short term, etc, and the only conclusion I could get to was this is going to go on for far longer than most expect. It wasn't even anxiety about Covid, it was about the reaction people would have when it went on too long, and how you even go about unwinding such measures without a clear exit such as vaccine. And now here we are 5 months later talking about bringing in restrictions that won't have any effect on the numbers. Mental.

The narrative in March was look at China. They are back to normal. That's what we will get to. I half believed it. I feel Europe are not dealing with this well compared to Asia/Oceania. We have to make a better attempt at following their model. Ireland are looking to Europe when the should be looking at Asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

Dampsquid wrote: »
    RTE had a load of new restrictions listed on the live blog on their website, then they took it down again.

Including max 15 people at outdoor gatherings.

thought i was going mad, that happened twice there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Are they waiting for a large number of cases to be announced this evening before holding the PC to help justify these measures?

Give 1 valid reason why sports has been affected and things like indoor weddings can continue as normal

Why are you asking me, I am not the one making the decisions for the government.

So I can go to indoor Mass but can't stand on the side of a football pitch outdoors.

Ok makes sense ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

But all signs are that we're not moving on and living with it. If they go ahead with opening the schools, we're effectively being told that having 50 people watching a sports game outside is more dangerous than having 30 kids in a classroom. There's no logic or consistency here.

I agree there should be more at games, running races should be back, croke park back etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

The omission of religious congregations is obviously FF and Micheal not wanting to annoy its base voter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Stheno wrote: »
    That's insane that churches are exempt, given that the demographic of those who would attend church would tend to be older

I suspect that was a cabinet decision and a not public health one.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

Whatever restrictions are announced, they need to set out a clear plan as to where we’re going and what results they are hoping to achieve.

Why are you asking me, I am not the one making the decisions for the government.
    You seem intent on defending them? You must have a reason why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0805/1157396-limerick-chief-accepts-logic-of-govt-decision-on-crowds/
    Limerick chairman John Cregan says his board has to accept the logic behind the Government's decision not to ease crowd restrictions as they cannot control how larger numbers of supporters will travel to games – or where they assemble beforehand.

So I suppose if that applies to 500 people it also applies proportionately to 50 people. Even with a few dozen spectators, there's a chance a group of them from different families will have traveled to the match together in the same car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

hmmm wrote: »
    From what I've read, the problems are less about what happens at the matches and more about how they travel there (sharing cars, bus etc.) and what happens after the match (parties etc.).

I don't think it's enough simply to announce restrictions. The government need to explain why certain actions are being taken.

To be fair to them that is the reason they gave for not previously upping the numbers allowed to attend. Ronan Glynn said it wasn't about people being at the stadiums, but how they travel to get there, congregate there and elsewhere afterwards.

I think there is a logic to it, but I think there's equally other measures they could look at first.

All outdoor events being limited to 15 people means no sport, no?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

So I can go to a wedding indoors with a crowd of 50 but not watch a match outside

89f13ccce1b10d73aaff5e41d29ba56c.gif

These flutes in charge are asleep at the wheel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

maebee wrote: »
    I don't know how true this is but I heard that they literally "bed share", i.e. while 11 workers work one shift, the other 11 are sleeping. When those 11 finish their shift, they're sleeping in the beds of the other 11. :eek:

Would not surprise me in the slightest.

www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/dublin-s-rental-black-market-bunk-beds-no-contracts-overcrowding-1.3374207%3fmode=amp

Eod100 wrote: »
    Dr O' Tuathail putting it back to Cabinet here: https://twitter.com/DrZeroCraic/status/1295749729104650245?s=19

It frustrates me when someone misinformed thinks he can sprout ****e, just because he has the title Dr. in his twitter account - Ireland are in the upper half in the OCED on health spending per capita, but vested interests, such as GP's,consultants and unions prevent the necessary changes in how the system is ran

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

It's hardly continuing as normal when it's restricted to 50 people.
    People have spent a year or more planning their wedding, spending a hell of a lot of money on it that they won't get back and to tell someone who already reduced the numbers to 50 on government advise that their wedding this week can now only have 6 people at it is unimaginable!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭Patser

It all just seems so fecky and little - a week to go til schools are scheduled to reopen, 3 counties under restrictions, outbreaks in other counties, a big tense cabinet meeting and the best they can come up with is no spectators at sport and stop partying unless it's a wedding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

As far as masses, weddings etc. being left go ahead, it seems that their having no connection to house parties is the reason.

The tenuous connection between sporting events and after-parties is logic of a kind, albeit sort of a mad logic imo. With actual house parties being reduced down as well.

You seem intent on defending them? You must have a reason why.

Where am I defending them shutting down sports, where have i posted i support the government. I haven't so give over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Stheno wrote: »

Yep, that's completely mental considering aswell that's it's indoors, if there's communion people in close contact and a lot of them might not be well ventilated and it has similar issues to sport events with people meeting up beforehand and afterwords. Plus, internationally there has been a number of large clusters linked to religious services (South Korea, Austria, France and Italy have all had large clusters linked to religious services).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Will wait and see what is announced, although the Screenshot above gives an indication.

I just hope they justify their decisions by saying we are stopping sports attendance because...
    We are retaining weddings and religious services because....
    And so on.

But I have to say I am so far very disappointed in the new Gov. They appear to be running around like headless chickens.

• Advertisement

Where am I defending them shutting down sports, where have i posted i support the government. I haven't so give over.
    Okay, you haven't, not at all, you would never.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,552 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's hardly continuing as normal when it's restricted to 50 people.
    People have spent a year or more planning their wedding, spending a hell of a lot of money on it that they won't get back and to tell someone who already reduced the numbers to 50 on government advise that their wedding this week can now only have 6 people at it is unimaginable!!

It's a wedding, not essential that it's a celebration with 50 people, could be a registry office gig with handful of people if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

MOR316 wrote: »
    How are you not banned from this thread?

You're the ultimate WUM :D

Complete troll. Was ChelseaRentBoy in his/her last incarnation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Laughable. No international tourism restrictions. Punishing the innocent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Necro wrote: »
    So I can go to a wedding indoors with a crowd of 50 but not watch a match outside

89f13ccce1b10d73aaff5e41d29ba56c.gif

These flutes in charge are asleep at the wheel

It’s the traveling to matches and the socializing assosiated with matches that’s the problem..

How many more times do you have to be told this?

All outdoor events being limited to 15 people means no sport, no?

Looks like seasons will be stopped again yes, the 200 included players, thats now to be 15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Gruffalox wrote: »
    Yes...buuuuutttttt.. :)

Re Covid most of us have zero proven immunity

I would argue most of us are immune in that our immune system will successfully beat this virus in 85% of us without any treatments or hospitalisation. That is our immune system operating immunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    It’s the traveling to matches and the socializing assosiated with matches that’s the problem..

How many more times do you have to be told this?

Yes, as we all know weddings involve neither travelling nor socialising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Are we the only country on the planet targetting outdoor gatherings?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement