Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Hopefully the announcement about reducing the indoor gatherings numbers will be accompanied by giving Gardaí extra enforcement powers to break up house parties etc, that are a huge part of the cause of the rise in new cases.

The huge rise as you put it was associated with factories. House parties have gone on throughout.

Good luck if you think the guards are going to be running around estates all night checking if theres only 6 in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Is any else stopping listening to the news this week ? I had rte radio 1 on in the backround today and while I was only listening to bits in any detail you'd swear the country is about to fall off a covid cliff. Yes there has been a spike and we need to be be watchful of it and not be dismissive of it but neither does doom and gloom help either. Do the media think this is helpful ? We've more than likely a long bloody winter ahead and they need to ****ing tone down the doom and gloom. Yes, report on the cases we have and provide context and not just numbers on their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

I'm thinking much higher

Would love if a journalist asked how many Influenza and Pneumonia deaths did we have this week

Alot more than Covid, that's for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Is playing sports still ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

What's the start time for the conference?

When ever they are finished the dinner and jelly and ice cream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,552 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'm thinking much higher

Yes hopefully journalists question the timeline of the test results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,641 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

What about pubs, drunk lives matter :p the Irish need their drink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Rte news now due to go live with the commission report at 3:05 pm.

Only 2 and a half hours late. Check back tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

harr wrote: »
    When ever they are finished the dinner and jelly and ice cream

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

hmmm wrote: »
    I think a fine of a thousand euros for the owner of a property if a Garda finds more than the allowed number at the location would sort this out quickly.
    It would need to be €10,000 as it's 2.5K for sneaking into a shop without one!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

spookwoman wrote: »

I posted about this before seeing this tweet. This is very good news. Hopefully these new powers will be fully enforced.

Yes hopefully journalists question the timeline of the test results.
    Journalists and tests is a guaranteed tailspin so they won't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I hate the people slagging the new government for not having a coherent plan I very much doubt saint Tony would have been in any different position now. it was always going to be a massivly difficult process trying to keep business going without shutting the economy again.

although i think they always seem to impose restrictions which avoid where the majority of cases are coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Is playing sports still ok?

I think you're supposed to watch Netflix instead. Its only til 2025.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I was looking for a direct link, Is that RTE Player? Its ****e, rarely works for me.

https://www.rte.ie/news/player/live/7/

Try this

It will come on when it starts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I posted about this before seeing this tweet. This is very good news. Hopefully these new powers will be fully enforced.

Great news all right. Send the Gardai round to people's houses making sure they're behaving themselves but don't bother having inspections in the factories where the virus is going mad. That'll sort everything out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,641 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Just heard 30 more cases in local factory( not 100% on this atm)

It's a lock down for Tipperary it's a lock down to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Hopefully the announcement about reducing the indoor gatherings numbers will be accompanied by giving Gardaí extra enforcement powers to break up house parties etc, that are a huge part of the cause of the rise in new cases.

Is it, any proof of this. I thought the clusters were from factories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

There'll be murder if the gardai try to walk into people's houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Probably brought in so they can deal with the like of what happened in Berlin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

is_that_so wrote: »
    It would need to be €10,000 as it's 2.5K for sneaking into a shop without one!
    Yeah :) I think the 2.5k was a stupid fine amount TBH, it's not realistic. Much prefer the Spanish (?) one where it's a hundred euro on the spot.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

From what I've read, the problems are less about what happens at the matches and more about how they travel there (sharing cars, bus etc.) and what happens after the match (parties etc.).

I don't think it's enough simply to announce restrictions. The government need to explain why certain actions are being taken.

Yep, but these are completely inconsistent with what appears to be the approach on weddings and mass/religious ceremonies. These would have the same travel and after issues as matches.

Any powers for private property will need the approval of the AG.

Gardai can't enter private property without a warrant. Will require full legislation change

It's a "I don't want a police state but COVID" post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

growleaves wrote: »
    I think you're supposed to watch Netflix instead. Its only til 2025.

That’s only for public servants

• Advertisement

Gardai can't enter private property without a warrant. Will require full legislation change
    People who think the Gardai will just walk in and end all house parties in their tracks :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Yeah :) I think the 2.5k was a stupid fine amount TBH, it's not realistic. Much prefer the Spanish (?) one where it's a hundred euro on the spot.
    Yeah but nobody's listening to common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

My local club is looking for volunteers to get married on Saturday and hold the ceremony behind the goal of our GAA pitch so as 50 people can get in to see the team play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

s1ippy wrote: »
    At the start, the virus was unprecedented so we acted quickly, doing things that would curb the spread and lower transmission.

Now we have a precedent for taking actions that curb the spread. However those actions upset the wrong people. These are vested interests, voters and the workforce.

Businesses have separate rules, as the clusters detected don't seem to come from them, although I would highlight that between one third and one fifth of cases are community transmission.

Office staff are now meant to go back to working from home.

Weddings are still permitted with fifty people allowed. This is another form of business, hospitality industry.

Outdoor events are only allowed fifteen people (down from 200) even though there is little or nothing to suggest that they account for any transmission.

6 people from 3 households can gather in private homes. Not sure if there's a time limit on that. Generally close contact of 2 metres for 15 minutes is regarded as a risk, although in some settings this is not required.

Pubs and restaurant visits restricted to 105 minutes with social distancing (1m?) between tables.

Meat plants and other factories involved in food production, the main source of virus transmission for the past month, are open with little oversight and there is no firm guidance or research on the safety of groceries, especially on washing down shopping or safe storage and consumption of food that doesn't require cooking (deli meats, etc).

Schools will be reopening in a week's time with thousands of people from different households mixing indoors, close quarters, poor ventilation, inadequate sanitation facilities with children engaging in unpredictable behaviours for 6+ hours. Schools will not necessarily close if there is an outbreak in them and although 25% of the workforce are high risk, only the "extremely high risk" (I heard a figure of 2% quoted at the start) are permitted to give support working from home. No online provision has been made.

Previous CMO left during a very contentious period, under the pretext of family circumstances, when he wanted to take measures to prevent this current outbreak from happening. Current CMO is being slated in leaks from "senior government sources" as personally wanting to impose "draconian" measures.

This will be heralded in the history books as the most frustrating time to have even the remotest grasp of the subtext and agendas at play in public health decisions.

Announcement was meant to be at 3, delayed now supposedly until 7 but leaks are being drip fed all day, putting out feelers to see what the plebs want so they can retract that later. There have been around 300 cases across the previous four days and tomorrow it will be a week since the last biweekly press conference, at a time when there are higher figures than anything we've seen since the previous wave, where after a couple of weeks people started dying in large numbers.

Oh yeah and there are loads of clusters in nursing homes again. Did I forget anything?

Re: your thing about Tony Holohan. That's a bit unfair on him? An illness such as that would hardly be made up? Terribly cynical and poor form IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Perhaps even a constitutional amendment.

What are they going to do about the numbers on halting sites? New sites perhaps. Maybe the Curragh racecourse?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

People who think the Gardai will just walk in and end all house parties in their tracks :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Id nearly have a house party to see them try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

One possible positive of 6 people indoors restriction is it might be the start of a crackdown on over-packed shared accommodation.

Id nearly have a house party to see them try
    They'd want more than a warrant to come into my house, to be honest. Not a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    It's a lock down for Tipperary it's a lock down to go

ABP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

That's fair enough but the government better have their statements worded so that there is no chance of misinterpretation. The above must likely is the law of the land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

They'd want more than a warrant to come into my house, to be honest. Not a chance.

Oh grow the fcuk up would ya...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Amirani wrote: »
    Yep, but these are completely inconsistent with what appears to be the approach on weddings and mass/religious ceremonies. These would have the same travel and after issues as matches.

I would have thought nearly everybody traveling to/from those together would be from the same family though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

There'll be murder if the gardai try to walk into people's houses.

Not from proper law abiding citizens. From the Gemma O Dorothy tin foilers on here yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

"The really important thing is not to live, but to live well. And to live well meant, along with more enjoyable things in life, to live according to your principles." - Socrates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

One possible positive of 6 people indoors restriction is it might be the start of a crackdown on over-packed shared accommodation.

Its 6 people from 3 households assuming it's less than six living there.

You think people with 5+ kids are now sitting down to decide which kid to evict?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

robbiezero wrote: »
    My local club is looking for volunteers to get married on Saturday and hold the ceremony behind the goal of our GAA pitch so as 50 people can get in to see the team play

:pac: Either that or sign up to the club yourself and get put on the playing panel

:D:D:D

Not from proper law abiding citizens. From the Gemma O Dorothy tin foilers on here yes.
    Never broken a law in my life kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Amirani wrote: »
    There's a big difference in frequency and social importance between a wedding and a club GAA match. Plus if you think of the risks they seem to be targeting (large groups travelling to and from matches with no distancing) a wedding would seem to be lower risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Have I missed the briefing or are we still awaiting it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

WHO estimate 1 billion cases of influenza occur annually with studies detecting signs on Myocarditis in approx 10% of cases

It is almost as fast as March in here at the minute so you might miss this reply.
    I accept your 10 %. If a billion people get fku annually and WHO also estimate deaths at 250,000 to 500,000 annually, which I have seen, that is not the 0.1% mortality rate for flu which people go on about. It is at most half that. For the life of ne I cannot be sure what half of 0.1 % is. Is it 0.05? Which would make flu mortality rate look small beside guesstimated Covid mortality rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

https://www.rte.ie/news/player/live/7/

Try this

It will come on when it starts

Cheers

I'm off to a match with 199 other people now anyway and I'm gonna enjoy it. G'luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

There's a big difference in frequency and social importance between a wedding and a club GAA match. Plus if you think of the risks they seem to be targeting (large groups travelling to and from matches with no distancing) a wedding would seem to be lower risk.

But not between masses and religious ceremonies which attract an older attendance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If you think a wedding is lower risk than a GAA match you've fully lost it

• Advertisement

Sure if you ring them for something at the best of times they'll "send a car when its available" and either turn up hours later or not at all.

Imagine ringing up saying there's 7 people in the house next door, yeah good luck seeing a car for that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement