Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

I'm off to a match with 199 other people now anyway and I'm gonna enjoy it. G'luck.

Thanks for that..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I'm off to a match with 199 other people now anyway and I'm gonna enjoy it. G'luck.

Likewise and a few pints after

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I hate the people slagging the new government for not having a coherent plan I very much doubt saint Tony would have been in any different position now. it was always going to be a massivly difficult process trying to keep business going without shutting the economy again.

although i think they always seem to impose restrictions which avoid where the majority of cases are coming from.
    You're dead right, though I would suggest that Tony was fighting the same frustrating wave of sh!t Glynn currently is. I try and fathom why, but the likely reasons we aren't taking the initiative to break the chains of transmission are not reassuring.
    s1ippy wrote: »
    ...Now we have a precedent for taking actions that curb the spread. However those actions upset the wrong people. These are vested interests, voters and the workforce.

Businesses have separate rules, as the clusters detected don't seem to come from them, although I would highlight that between one third and one fifth of cases are community transmission...

Meat plants and other factories involved in food production, the main source of virus transmission for the past month, are open with little oversight and there is no firm guidance or research on the safety of groceries, especially on washing down shopping or safe storage and consumption of food that doesn't require cooking (deli meats, etc).

Schools will be reopening in a week's time with thousands of people from different households mixing indoors, close quarters, poor ventilation, inadequate sanitation facilities with children engaging in unpredictable behaviours for 6+ hours. Schools will not necessarily close if there is an outbreak in them and although 25% of the workforce are high risk, only the "extremely high risk" (I heard a figure of 2% quoted at the start) are permitted to give support working from home. No online provision has been made.

Previous CMO left during a very contentious period, under the pretext of family circumstances, when he wanted to take measures to prevent this current outbreak from happening. Current CMO is being slated in leaks from "senior government sources" as personally wanting to impose "draconian" measures.

This will be heralded in the history books as the most frustrating time to have even the remotest grasp of the subtext and agendas at play in public health decisions.

We need a better plan for reopening schools, huge investment in HSA oversight of food processing facilities and a clearer picture where clusters are occurring. Less than four days wait for Joe public's test and trace would help too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭yawhat?

I’d say you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Gruffalox wrote: »
    It is almost as fast as March in here at the minute so you might miss this reply.
    I accept your 10 %. If a billion people get fku annually and WHO also estimate deaths at 250,000 to 500,000 annually, which I have seen, that is not the 0.1% mortality rate for flu which people go on about. It is at most half that. For the life of ne I cannot be sure what half of 0.1 % is. Is it 0.05? Which would make flu mortality rate look small beside guesstimated Covid mortality rate.

Read the UK deaths

7 times more dieing of flu and pneumonia right now

Not joking :pac:

It's madness

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending7august2020

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Sure if you ring them for something at the best of times they'll "send a car when its available" and either turn up hours later or not at all.

Imagine ringing up saying there's 7 people in the house next door, yeah good luck seeing a car for that

I know from a Garda locally, there are and have been people calling them to complain about exactly that. And your assumed response has been their response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

AdamD wrote: »
    If you think a wedding is lower risk than a GAA match you've fully lost it
    It's not about the match, it's about getting too and from a match.

Weddings are also infrequent. Matches take place a couple of times a week, in multiple locations across the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I hope the Gardai have those enforcement powers from this evening or at the latest midnight tonight, and not next week or later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Amazing the posters here who would welcome Gardai entering their homes without proper legislation in place.

WOW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

bazermc wrote: »
    Have I missed the briefing or are we still awaiting it?

They are awaiting to announce today's covid case backlog to justify the draconian measures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Likewise and a few pints after

Stay at home

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

is_that_so wrote: »
    It would need to be €10,000 as it's 2.5K for sneaking into a shop without one!

Yes and they can add all the new uncollected fines to the hundreds of thousands of euros outstanding as of now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

I would argue most of us are immune in that our immune system will successfully beat this virus in 85% of us without any treatments or hospitalisation. That is our immune system operating immunity.

Yes I agree. Most of us have robust immune systems and will fight covid. But I was talking about prior immunity. Like from childhood or previous bouts with a virus or even inherited. None of us have that proven to Covid. I know there is talk of some from other coronaviruses but I will wait on full research.
    But yes. Our bodies are strong. Though this is still a completely novel virus for our immune systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭snowgal

I hope the Gardai have those enforcement powers from this evening or at the latest midnight tonight, and not next week or later.

I hope they give people abit of notice tbh, my job involves indoor settings, with alot of them happening this week. very short notice if from midnight..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Tandey

Anything else you’d like to share? Because we all care:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Did the text at the bottom of the news just now say outdoor gatherings down to 15 people? My internet connection is f'ked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Perhaps even a constitutional amendment.

What are they going to do about the numbers on halting sites? New sites perhaps. Maybe the Curragh racecourse?

I was thinking it may be unconstitutional

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Oglaigh84

They'd want more than a warrant to come into my house, to be honest. Not a chance.

Oh wow, look at the hard man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

The huge rise as you put it was associated with factories. House parties have gone on throughout.

Good luck if you think the guards are going to be running around estates all night checking if theres only 6 in the house.

All it will take is for someone to report one going on and if their new powers are implemented correctly then the Gardaí will be legally entitled to enter a house and break up these parties if more than 6 people are present without needing a warrant to do so.

Ficheall wrote: »
    Did the text at the bottom of the news just now say outdoor gatherings down to 15 people? My internet connection is f'ked.

yes but with certain exceptions...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

statesaver wrote: »
    Amazing the posters here who would welcome Gardai entering their homes without proper legislation in place.

WOW

I haven't seen anybody advocating that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Ficheall wrote: »

Yes large pub can have near 300 inside, if they want out to have a cigarette 15 at a time only :D

All you can do is laugh, be the laughing stock of Europe after this (Even the Brits will get a chuckle)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Gael23 wrote: »
    I was thinking it may be unconstitutional

Imagine the media characterisation of the No campaign. Anyone who doesn't want the Guards to be able to stroll into their house without a warrant is a tinfoil-hatter etc.

There'll be murder if the gardai try to walk into people's houses.

They can walk in to mine anytime, no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

99% of comments being about people not being able to attend sports matches is so typical. People completely losing track of what's actually important. Same thing as the narrative for the last 3 months being about whether people can go on holidays or not. Ridiculous where people's priorities lie tbh.

The schools are whats important now and it's clear they are trying to reduce community transmission so the virus doesn't get into schools and force them to shut down. I love sport but in the grand scheme of things it can rightly take a back seat in terms of priority/importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Tandey

WOW

If theirs a suspicion of the laws been broken then I’m all for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

WOW

Unless I was in the middle of bagging up the heroin supplies, I'd welcome them in for some tea. Thankless job.

still wondering if this is actual BS to be honest. Waiting for himself to announce something different, just cant believe we could actually go back this far.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭yawhat?

They'd want more than a warrant to come into my house, to be honest. Not a chance.

Nah, just a warrant would be sufficient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

Would that not break the rules of social distancing and indoor gatherings then no?

They could lift you on that alone. Be funny if you were carted away in shackles :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yes large pub can have near 300 inside, if they want out to have a cigarette 15 at a time only :D

All you can do is laugh, be the laughing stock of Europe after this (Even the Brits will get a chuckle)

I assure you no-one in Europe gives two fcks about what we are doing in Ireland.

Like in the sane way you've clearly paid zero attention to what's happening elsewhere in Europe where they are reintroducing measures, just like us.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Morrison J wrote: »
    99% of comments being about people not being able to attend sports matches is so typical. People completely losing track of what's actually important. Same thing as the narrative for the last 3 months being about whether people can go on holidays or not. Ridiculous where people's priorities lie tbh.

The schools are whats important now and it's clear they are trying to reduce community transmission so the virus doesn't get into schools and force them to shut down. I love sport but in the grand scheme of things it can rightly take a back seat in terms of priority/importance.

But why outdoor sporting events?? Why not close restaurants then? Why not close everything except work and schools? There is no sense in that decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Few Quick questions on the outdoor indoor events restrictions, for the teams that participate and train:-

1) Can outdoor teams train with more than 15 players? GAA, Soccer etc.. How can they oplay a match if there are 30 players on the field?

2) Can indoor teams train with more than 6?

3) Can Gyms have more than 6 people in at a time

4) Can swimming pools have more than 6 people at a time?

5) Can tourist attraction have more than 6/15 people at a time, eg. Guinness store house (6), Bunratty, Kylemore (15) etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

Presumably ACE's healthcare worker parents are a bit handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Tough man :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

MOR316 wrote: »
    Would that not break the rules of social distancing and indoor gatherings then no?

They could lift you on that alone. Be funny if you were carted away in shackles :D

If they carted him away in shackles he'd probably thank them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Really? Anytime say 4 in the morning when ur family is asleep is that OK?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Morrison J wrote: »

Nah it's the stupid mixed messages that annoy me.

Can't watch a match outdoors - but can attend a wedding indoors with 50 people, or go to mass.

It's just the latest in a litany of incoherent nonsense from the government.

It's infuriating. And I'm largely happy with how things have been handled up until recently.

WOW

That's why I posted above that I hope they have those powers from this evening or tonight.Proper legislation should be in place this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Great news all right. Send the Gardai round to people's houses making sure they're behaving themselves but don't bother having inspections in the factories where the virus is going mad. That'll sort everything out.

they are doing inspections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

ForestFire wrote: »
    Few Quick questions on the outdoor indoor events restrictions, for the teams that participate and train:-

1) Can outdoor teams train with more than 15 players? GAA, Soccer etc.. How can they oplay a match if there are 30 players on the field?

2) Can indoor teams train with more than 6?

3) Can Gyms have more than 6 people in at a time

4) Can swimming pools have more than 6 people at a time?

5) Can tourist attraction have more than 6/15 people at a time, eg. Guinness store house (6), Bunratty, Kylemore (15) etc.

No one knows, nothing has been announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

Poor ACE

Spends his time on here, giving out numbers and information most of us on here are either too stupid to understand or too lazy to get ourselves...And he gets abuse in return from the same people who feed off the information he provides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Strange, weddings are ok but not outdoor sports events.

Really? Anytime say 4 in the morning when ur family is asleep is that OK?

why would they do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Some people would absolutely be happy to live in a police state if it is sold to them under the guise of "covid measures". That much is obvious from some of the posts here.

Case in point...:D
    Not from proper law abiding citizens. From the Gemma O Dorothy tin foilers on here yes.
    I posted about this before seeing this tweet. This is very good news. Hopefully these new powers will be fully enforced.
    Hopefully the announcement about reducing the indoor gatherings numbers will be accompanied by giving Gardaí extra enforcement powers to break up house parties etc, that are a huge part of the cause of the rise in new cases.

I'm sure these powers will be walked back after this is over. That always happens doesnt it? And of course, they would never be abused. Either by those with a grudge or the guards themselves. Never happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

This place is just the same few names debating the same tired arguments, be better off moving it to a WhatsApp group lads and close this sh1t down.

I'm sure these powers will be walked back after this is over. That always happens doesnt it?

A quarrel had arisen between the Horse and the Stag, so the Horse came to a Hunter to ask his help to take revenge on the Stag. The Hunter agreed, but said: “If you desire to conquer the Stag, you must permit me to place this piece of iron between your jaws, so that I may guide you with these reins, and allow this saddle to be placed upon your back so that I may keep steady upon you as we follow after the enemy.”

The Horse agreed to the conditions, and the Hunter soon saddled and bridled him. Then with the aid of the Hunter the Horse soon overcame the Stag, and said to the Hunter: “Now, get off, and remove those things from my mouth and back.”

“Not so fast, friend,” said the Hunter. “I have now got you under bit and spur, and prefer to keep you as you are at present.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Think that statement through. Is that a society you want to live in where the Gardai effectively become lawless. It would destroy the fabric of our society very quickly. There are proper procedures in place for a reason.

I'm sure these powers will be walked back after this is over. That always happens doesnt it?

it actually happened the last time.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/covid-19-garda%C3%AD-lose-enforcement-powers-over-movement-restrictions-1.4273899

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Strange, weddings are ok but not outdoor sports events.
    I'm guessing that it's not the match itself, but people entering and exiting through small entrances where they'd mingle. Still dumb though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement