Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

digzy wrote: »
    It’s high time off licences were shut. No booze, no house parties

Nonsense, but hey prohibition always works well, not to mention hopping across the border

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Fcuk off, puritans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Yes 100% it me asking a question that has lead to a world wide pandemic, Sorry about that folks

Apology accepted, fair play to you. Hows thing in Wuhan these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭ForestFire

All business can continue as before. New measures are just for social gatherings.

Not quite, they clearly said (Well a clear as anything else they said, I suppose) that Gyms should be limited to 6 per class (Not sure if it just an open Gym), Summer camps to 15 kids only, indoor training limit to 6. Cimemas was not clarified.

Also from RTE website:-

Training sessions should follow the rule of six people indoors and 15 outdoors.

Children's summer camps can continue, but should be kept to the same group of 15 children. (outdoors I presume, not sure what happens if you need to do any events indoors)

Gyms can remain open but no more than six people will be allowed in an exercise class at any given time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

If kids can go to school then everything should be fine. Why are they going to school if hey are not safe?
    From my understanding and I'll admit it's hard getting facts. But kids under 10-12 don't tend to spread the virus (via coughing/sneezing) as much as those over 12. The majority of kids getting infected is from an adult.
    Hence the remark about lunchboxes being the key thing to sanitise (kids eating and touching the lunchbox etc...)

Arghus wrote: »
    I doubt it'll come to that, but I think he's cutely enough hinting to be at odds with MM when there's bad news about to be dished out.

I must say watching his and Simon Harris have their political reputations completely rehabilitated in the eyes of the users of boards is amazing to see.

Three months ago, according to the permanently irate on here, Leo was a clown who didn't have a clue what he was at and wanted to bankrupt the country and Simon Harris was a condescending pain in the arse who didn't even go to college. Now they're heroes whose good work is being squandered by MM - who is a clown, who doesn't have a clue what he's at and wants to bankrupt the country....

Yes the optics of it are not good for current ministers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

If kids can go to school then everything should be fine. Why are they going to school if hey are not safe?

I don't agree with it either, it's shortsighted thinking this will fix things. They need a plan, they need to relay this plan to the public. Not babble their way through a 40 minute press conference saying things need to be 6 and 15. They needed to Inspire people to believe this 6 and 15 was for the good of the nation and that it was needed by giving us examples, what they came out with today was just nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Arghus wrote: »
    I doubt it'll come to that, but I think he's cutely enough hinting to be at odds with MM when there's bad news about to be dished out.

I must say watching his and Simon Harris have their political reputations completely rehabilitated in the eyes of the users of boards is amazing to see.

Three months ago, according to the permanently irate on here, Leo was a clown who didn't have a clue what he was at and wanted to bankrupt the country and Simon Harris was a condescending pain in the arse who didn't even go to college. Now they're heroes whose good work is being squandered by MM - who is a clown, who doesn't have a clue what he's at and wants to bankrupt the country....

The George Bush/Rudy giulliani metric, handle a crisis with calm and measured speeches and people will overlook you bombing women and children/introducing a broken window policy that unfairly targets minorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Yes the optics of it are not good for current ministers.

It's was clear as daylight from that press conference that more time was spent arguing today between the various parties than ensuring the message to be delivered to the public was clear and coherent.

• Advertisement

Just back from a trip to Rome. Great atmosphere, everyone enjoying the lovely weather, great restaurants and bars.

Everything operating normally including all the museums and historic buildings/ monuments (with good adherence to sensible Covid 19 restrictions everywhere).

Lower instances of Covid than here, though they had it very tough earlier in the year.

Seems we have become a bit overwrought. Time for calm thinking and a longer term strategy that doesn’t shift each fortnight.

Rome had it no worse than here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Wolf359f wrote: »
    From my understanding and I'll admit it's hard getting facts. But kids under 10-12 don't tend to spread the virus (via coughing/sneezing) as much as those over 12. The majority of kids getting infected is from an adult.
    Hence the remark about lunchboxes being the key thing to sanitise (kids eating and touching the lunchbox etc...)

This is incorrect. South Korea study showed that children 10 years + can transmit virus as easily as adults. Mike Ryan of WHO referred to this when talking to Sarah McInerney, saying that children 10-12 and teens could spread it as easily as adults so had to be responsible for their behaviour re sd hand hygiene etc.

Another study on the nasal contents showed that children 0-5yrs had the same amount if not more coronavirus in their noses as adults and coudl spread it as easily.

THere is no difference between a kid in 6th class and a kid in 1st year except one has to wear a mask adn the other doesn't

There have multiple other studies and reports too of children catching and spreading it.

THis is being ignored as the government need the schools open to prove they can open them and also to get the economy going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

Morrison J wrote: »
    99% of comments being about people not being able to attend sports matches is so typical. People completely losing track of what's actually important. Same thing as the narrative for the last 3 months being about whether people can go on holidays or not. Ridiculous where people's priorities lie tbh.

The schools are whats important now and it's clear they are trying to reduce community transmission so the virus doesn't get into schools and force them to shut down. I love sport but in the grand scheme of things it can rightly take a back seat in terms of priority/importance.

The schools are only one element of what is important - no point in having schools open if people can't feed their children (Parents could be publicans, taxi drivers etc), or if every teacher is off with depression.

Not everyone going abroad is going abroad is going on holidays - some people are living here, and there families all live abroad, they want to go and see them

The economy matters, all health matters, covid matters - all are interlinked

Sport is good for people - we have spent years telling people to exercise more - and now we are trying to restrict exercise

Same as pubs being able to serve food without a restaurant licence - has food hygiene gone out the window - food poisoning doesn't matter - covid is the only illness that's important!

The problem with the response to covid - is that it isn't looking at all elements of health, stopping cancer screenings, limiting access to GP's, no "routine" surgeries, and the massive impact on mental health - what is the long term implications of these?

The economy has crashed - what is the long term implication of this? There is a very clear link between poverty and poor health.

Schools are very important - but not isolation - what is the point in children getting a good education if there is nothing for them when they finish school?

I think there needs to be a body set up to analyse all the relevant information (not just the health side of it), and come up with a bespoke response, and stop looking at things in isolation.

Every announcement about restrictions should come with an announcement about what new financial support is available, to help those affected by restriction, not just a generic comment, saying support may be available and then announced later. (KOL restrictions came into effect on the 8th, support measures announced 14th), pubs have been closed for 186 days, 50 days since food pubs opened, and no additional support offered for the pubs.
    Making joint up announcements would help mental health too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    High in Tipp and Limerick, are cities out for lockdown like Dublin and Limerick?

We need control and a clear message about travel, testing at airports, borders and ports etc.,

What is the rationale for your obsession about travel? ECDC have said this is not a major issue and the Irish figures confirm this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I'm not "doing" anything

Stop the trolling and the one-liners now, only warning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,636 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

What is the rationale for your obsession about travel? ECDC have said this is not a major issue and the Irish figures confirm this.

I wasn't suggesting Tipp and Limerick cases are from travel but as other countries are getting stricter on travel we should too, we have cases from holidayers returning not quarantining and spreading

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Have you driven past a Gaa field on a Saturday, our local under 14 games(looks like Blitzes) are drawing what looks like well over 200 people.

Still a far safer environment that 50 indoors at a wedding, restaurant, bar or anywhere else indoors

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭obi604

So no one allowed at gaa matches.

I presume training for gaa is fine. Thinking of my kids Under 7 etc, will they be allowed train etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e478u2v48mhttbzb1z9kbdkq2va1pge2r95jeinmk2l&rid=giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Was the recent Meath creche cases not from kids?

What about the vast majority who enjoy a drink or two at home complying with all guidelines?

Dealers would love it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

It was young slappers who partied it up in Berlin in Dublin at the weekend and the governments response is to restrict the over 70s. Where is the sense in that? Why is our government still allowing tourists to come in from hotspots. We have no border controls and now they are going to hammer down on the over 70s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Surely outdoor events and sport behind closed doors are separate.How can a GAA,Soccer,Rugby matches etc take place without full teams,subs,Manager,team doctors,referees,linesmen,umpires and stewards from the pitch/stadium where the matches are taking place ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

BattleCorp wrote: »
    The system can process 100K tests maybe but it's a different story going to each and every meat factory and taking the tests on a weekly basis. So that might involve going to hundreds or even over 1000 sites each week to collect samples. Not an easy job.

Agreed. Could we perhaps trial a system that relies on a saliva sample?
    For example the plant/factory health and safety officer/doctor oversees the collection of saliva samples into sterilized bottles and they get couriered to lab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Italy's PM is now officially under investigation for enforcing a nationwide lockdown in Italy against the advice of Italy's scientific committee
    According to what is read in a note from the Presidency of the Council, this notice communicates the transmission to the Court of Ministers of the acts of a proceeding originating from various complaints from subjects from various parts of Italy for epidemic crimes, culpable crimes against health, manslaughter, abuse of office, attack against the Constitution, attack against the political rights of the citizen (articles 110, 438, 452 and 589, 323, 283, 294 of the Penal Code).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Again no flight bans from hotspots ?

How many weddings are you likely to attend this year? How many sporting fixtures? I'll bet the latter if much larger than the former.

People have not been distancing at sports events. I've seen it myself. Given that this is a relatively inconsequential decision, it was bound to happen. All the nice things will be sacrificed if it means the schools can open.

While the restrictions may seem contradictory, the restrictions are not meant to be compared to one another. The goal is to reduce the overall number of gatherings taking place. A €9 meal doesn't make you immune to covid but having that restriction in place reduces the overall number of gatherings taking place in the country.

I think this nuance has been completely lost in the messaging tbf.

Small gatherings outdoors are about the lowest risk environment groups of people can congregate in, and the effect of preventing them will be negligible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Surely outdoor events and sport behind closed doors are separate.How can a GAA,Soccer,Rugby matches etc take place without full teams,subs,Manager,team doctors,referees,linesmen,umpires and stewards from the pitch/stadium where the matches are taking place ?

Probably all allowed, they said they didn't want 330 people at a match instead of say 30.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I don't agree with it either, it's shortsighted thinking this will fix things. They need a plan, they need to relay this plan to the public. Not babble their way through a 40 minute press conference saying things need to be 6 and 15. They needed to Inspire people to believe this 6 and 15 was for the good of the nation and that it was needed by giving us examples, what they came out with today was just nonsense.

We are seriously lacking leadership.

This will change nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

So they'll still be able to visit their Nana?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

I wasn't suggesting Tipp and Limerick cases are from travel but as other countries are getting stricter on travel we should too, we have cases from holidayers returning not quarantining and spreading

The reasons for the increases in cases are directly in the control of Govt and were known risks.

Dept of Health and HSE - testing Contact tracing was prematurely scaled back.

HSE and Dept of Housing - Roma and traveller accommodation

HSE and Dept of Justice - Direct Provision

HSE, HSA and D/ Agriculture - Meat/food processing.

NPHET - messaging

Govt - all of the above.

I agree with a more coherent policy to enable safe travel with targeted and random testing but the focus on travel has been a distraction. Travel has not been a significant cause of these particular cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

statesaver wrote: »
    Fcuk off, puritans

Just leaked from Hugh O Connoll (indo)

Government drawing up plans for off licence sale limits and new restrictions.

2 bottles of wine a week but only one on a day. Must bring back empty bottle with a one off barcode before getting the next one.

2 cans of middle level beers per day with similar restrictions to wine. Ie no more until verified empties returned.

(All returns recycled)

Friday-Sunday only

Again no flight bans from hotspots ?

No watching a local sporting event but travel in and out of any country you want, a Kildare TD from SD had a two week holiday in Spain

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

A cluster in the midlands and they lockdown 3 counties. There’s a pretty big cluster in Texas and I know of people who arrived on a flight from there last week.

Texas is a cluster fcuk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

trixi001 wrote: »
    The schools are only one element of what is important - no point in having schools open if people can't feed their children (Parents could be publicans, taxi drivers etc), or if every teacher is off with depression.

Mental health again :rolleyes:

Sport is good for people - we have spent years telling people to exercise more - and now we are trying to restrict exercise

You don’t need a gym or a bike to exercise..

Same as pubs being able to serve food without a restaurant licence - has food hygiene gone out the window - food poisoning doesn't matter - covid is the only illness that's important!

Food poisoning kills not many, covid IS killing quite a few.

The problem with the response to covid - is that it isn't looking at all elements of health, stopping cancer screenings, limiting access to GP's, no "routine" surgeries, and the massive impact on mental health - what is the long term implications of these?

No limit to GP access, if you NEED a doctor you will have access to one.

The economy has crashed - what is the long term implication of this? There is a very clear link between poverty and poor health.

Economy will recover, some covid patients won’t.

Schools are very important - but not isolation - what is the point in children getting a good education if there is nothing for them when they finish school?

When they finish school, there is life, life goes on, life doesn’t go on for everyone who gets covid.

I think there needs to be a body set up to analyse all the relevant information (not just the health side of it), and come up with a bespoke response, and stop looking at things in isolation.

Every announcement about restrictions should come with an announcement about what new financial support is available, to help those affected by restriction, not just a generic comment, saying support may be available and then announced later. (KOL restrictions came into effect on the 8th, support measures announced 14th), pubs have been closed for 186 days, 50 days since food pubs opened, and no additional support offered for the pubs.
    Making joint up announcements would help mental health too!

Pubspubs pubs, more to life then pubs !u

Reply in bold....

The reasons for the increases in cases are directly in the control of Govt and were known risks.

NPHET - messaging

Govt - all of the above.

I agree with a more coherent policy to enable safe travel with targeted and random testing but the focus on this has been a distraction.

Maybe someone can enlighten me but I have a feeling all contact tracing is here is a call to ask who have been your contacts in the last 48 hours. Every effort should be made to trace the case back to source, to join up the outbreaks. I don’t believe this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭calgary bound

The initial of the TD who traveled on holiday to Spain in July are BC!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

So they'll still be able to visit their Nana?

Their Nana could be in their mid 40's lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

No watching a local sporting event but travel in and out of any country you want, a Kildare TD from SD had a two week holiday in Spain

Who is that? Actually scratch that. There is only 1 SD TD in Kildare, a high profile one too. If this is true it`s a sham in the current climate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

NPHET - messaging

Govt - all of the above.

Elect clowns

Get a circus

No watching a local sporting event but travel in and out of any country you want, a Kildare TD from SD had a two week holiday in Spain[/QUOTE]

Who is that?

Is it anyone’s business?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

What’s the R(0) ?

owlbethere wrote: »
    It was young slappers who partied it up in Berlin in Dublin at the weekend and the governments response is to restrict the over 70s. Where is the sense in that? Why is our government still allowing tourists to come in from hotspots. We have no border controls and now they are going to hammer down on the over 70s.

Border control is why our cases have went from 7 a day to now.

The government are treating us like fools.

We did the hard work with severe lockdown.

Were was the reward for that?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.rte.ie/amp/1159804/&ved=2ahUKEwjV2uLvpKXrAhXhZxUIHbQ-DZAQ0PADegQIDBAP&usg=AOvVaw3wghzgsd8JUoC8DvpnSn7p&ampcf=1

People in Wuhan were rewarded for there lockdown.

And to think I used to feel sorry for people in Wuhan in January. The innocence...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

Is it anyone’s business?

I don’t think it’s true no Kildare TD has said this ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Is it me or does anyone else think it was a bit mental changing Taoiseach and Health Minister right smack bang in the middle of a global pandemic?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Lundstram wrote: »
    Is it me or does anyone else think it was a bit mental changing Taoiseach and Health Minister right smack bang in the middle of a global pandemic?

Yip nuts

Lundstram wrote: »

History will not look kindly on it...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement