Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    What’s the R(0) ?

Looking for more recent number but on the 7th it was about 1.8

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0806/1157731-covid-figures/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

Again no flight bans from hotspots ?

No, none.
    Weston, Clonbulloge and Erinagh all still open.
    Shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Lundstram wrote: »
    Is it me or does anyone else think it was a bit mental changing Taoiseach and Health Minister right smack bang in the middle of a global pandemic?

That's democracy chicken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

digzy wrote: »
    It’s high time off licences were shut. No booze, no house parties

I think there would be uproar if that happened. There are probably thousands of people who enjoy a few drinks at home without it being a party..
    Unfortunately a minority of idiots just can't behave themselves.

spookwoman wrote: »
    Looking for more recent number but on the 7th it was about 1.8

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0806/1157731-covid-figures/

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

That's democracy chicken.
    Democracy? Good one.

Gardaí will soon have the power to enter private homes and evict people if numbers are over 6.

Democracy my hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Where did you get that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I get nervous when I think where we’d be with Leo in charge, I’m not the greatest Martin fan, but fûck me... if we had to go through this with Leo and the rest of the FG corporate rent boys solely in charge the country might be in a heap...

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

Who is that? Actually scratch that. There is only 1 SD TD in Kildare, a high profile one too. If this is true it`s a sham in the current climate.

It was not Catherine Murphy original poster should clarify it wasn’t a SD TD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I wonder if we'll hear leaks about FG's view.
    I know FF are gonna get alot of stick with this new restrictions. And I know the cabinet all have to agree with policy, collective cabinet etc... But surely FG will have to distance themselves from this **** show!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

owlbethere wrote: »
    It was young slappers who partied it up in Berlin in Dublin at the weekend and the governments response is to restrict the over 70s. Where is the sense in that? Why is our government still allowing tourists to come in from hotspots. We have no border controls and now they are going to hammer down on the over 70s.

They are clearly dividing people to rule them.
    If all the inter generational bickering continues two things will happen.

1: We will be in the exact same point this time next year.
    2: Business interests contrary to public health will be happy.

At a certain point we need to realise that our Government is trying to please all of the people and ending up pissing everyone off.

Except the businesses that are dependent on open borders.

MM is a muppet and is playing into a trap laid by Leo. The fact he is playing politics at a time like this is disgusting. MM has picked the hill he is going to die in on in the shape of schools reopening. After all he is a teacher and cares about their development. His position however is untenable. You can’t simultaneously try to please vested interests and get schools open.

They’ll open, then they’ll close and there will be an election.
    At which point Leo and Simon who threw a jerry wrench in the decision making process will ride in on their white horses and save us from calamity by standing up to big business and implementing zero covid.

Leo is playing chess , MM is playing checkers.
    If anything like above transpires I’ll never vote for a single FG politician in my life again. MM doesn’t have a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

It just feels like there is no end in sight for this :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

growleaves wrote: »

So I dug a little deeper on this, because, when you post a link, usually the headline doesn't tell the full story. Turns out it's more fake news.

If complaints are lodged by the public in Italy prosecuters are obliged to see if there's a potential criminal case that can be brought. That doesn't mean that there will be a criminal case, just that the validity of the complaints will be investigated. That appears to happen anytime anyone makes an official complaint about anything. It's not the same as a criminal investigation, it's totally different. And in this case prosecuters have already indicated that they consider the charges "unfounded" and should be dismissed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Democracy? Good one.

Gardaí will soon have the power to enter private homes and evict people if numbers are over 6.

Democracy my hole.

Should have happened long ago. Hopefully legislation to enable this will be passed ASAP and it will be strictly enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Democracy? Good one.

Democracy my hole.

You mean Gardaí will soon have the power to enter private homes to enforce the law.
    Don't know why they couldn't have a judge on call 24/7 to obtain warrants to enter homes where they fell and have evidence social distancing is not being adhered to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Schools reopening just won’t end well, sorry... it’s boneheaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Good to see the media are turning

He’s a GP telling the media, still good to see

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    No, none.
    Weston, Clonbulloge and Erinagh all still open.
    Shocking.

Open so we can live with virus and the restriction put upon us.

It's actually disgusting. To expect people to live like this, yet people can fly into our country with abandon.

Austrailia were always good at border patrol. We are too fond of our cead mile failte.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ll31

ElTel wrote: »
    Agreed. Could we perhaps trial a system that relies on a saliva sample?
    For example the plant/factory health and safety officer/doctor oversees the collection of saliva samples into sterilized bottles and they get couriered to lab.

Would you trust them?

I can't see that legislation being passed. Might just be talked about like the bogeyman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,636 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

rosiem wrote: »
    It was not Catherine Murphy original poster should clarify it wasn’t a SD TD

Sorry not SD TD in the Dail but still SD member, with the government harping on of no non essential travel, staycation in Ireland and he takes off to Spain

Open so we can live with virus and the restriction put upon us.

It's actually disgusting. To expect people to live like this, yet people can fly into our country with abandon.

Austrailia were always good at border patrol. We are too fond of our cead mile failte.

You mean cead mile euro failte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Arghus wrote: »
    So I dug a little deeper on this, because, when you post a link, usually the headline doesn't tell the full story. Turns out it's more fake news.

If complaints are lodged by the public in Italy prosecuters are obliged to see if there's a potential criminal case that can be brought. That doesn't mean that there will be a criminal case, just that the validity of the complaints will be investigated. That appears to happen anytime anyone makes an official complaint about anything. It's not the same as a criminal investigation, it's totally different. And in this case prosecuters have already indicated that they consider the charges "unfounded" and should be dismissed.

La Repubblica is a left-wing newspaper, should make you happy at least.

An official complaint is relevant news - it indicates there are people who are not happy with the policy, and a national newspaper carrying it indicates same.

Don't blame me for the headline, I'm not the subeditor who wrote it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Wolf359f wrote: »
    You mean Gardaí will soon have the power to enter private homes to enforce the law.
    Don't know why they couldn't have a judge on call 24/7 to obtain warrants to enter homes where they fell and have evidence social distancing is not being adhered to.
    Yes. We're having more and more restrictions placed on everyone because of the actions of a few.

It's obvious in the neighbourhood when someone is having a house-party. Get a Guard in, count the number of people, give the owner a bill.

We need to knuckle down for a year until we get a vaccine. The people having these parties are not listening to flowery words from the Taoiseach, and clearly appeals to them to do their bit for the community are having no impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

It was young slappers who partied it up in Berlin in Dublin at the weekend and the governments response is to restrict the over 70s. Where is the sense in that? Why is our government still allowing tourists to come in from hotspots. We have no border controls and now they are going to hammer down on the over 70s.

Exactly . And the message sent out was “ ah its ok we will just tell the over 70’s to restrict their movements once again “

The virus is being spread by under 45’s and what did they do ? Ask the over 70’s to take the hit . I am furious over it if I am honest
    Asking the vulnerable to restrict their movements while planes arrive from Texas and people can holiday in Italy .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Should have happened long ago. Hopefully legislation to enable this will be passed ASAP and it will be strictly enforced.

asap with Oireachtas on holidays? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Democracy? Good one.

Democracy my hole.

If they are breaching the current guidelines then they deserve the eviction. Do you get upset when you hear about garda doing their jobs in general?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Over 65s doing well to avoid this disease since end of May

523406.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,636 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Exactly . And the message sent out was “ ah its ok we will just tell the over 70’s to restrict their movements once again “

The virus is being spread by under 45’s and what did they do ? Ask the over 70’s to take the hit . I am furious over it if I am honest

Hit them and or their parents if minors in their pockets with large fines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I can't see that legislation being passed. Might just be talked about like the bogeyman.

The legislation can’t be passed, or at least can’t be lawful because a referendum would be required to change the constitution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Is it me or does anyone else think it was a bit mental changing Taoiseach and Health Minister right smack bang in the middle of a global pandemic?

Well the caretaker government couldn't have gone on for ever so it would have had to change at some point.

I think the going into a house is a step that may be too far. What would the gardai have to see to deem it necessary to enter a premises ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭andrew1977

digzy wrote: »
    It’s high time off licences were shut. No booze, no house parties

There would be a tailback of traffic from newry to ballybunion if they done that .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

You realise it's not a punishment? It's to try and save there life's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Strumms wrote: »
    Schools reopening just won’t end well, sorry... it’s boneheaded.

It might get lucky for two weeks in some counties but Dublin ones will do well to last a week before having to shut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

The gardai need to be given every power to enforce it if required. We need to beat this virus off the streets or else our economy will be destroyed and our kids will never get back to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

523406.png

Every age group is doing well at avoid it since April/May ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Not sure if this was posted already but good piece here with overview of measures from Fergal Bowers here:

https://www.rte.ie/news/analysis-and-comment/2020/0818/1159930-analysis-fergal-bowers/

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Asking the vulnerable to restrict their movements while planes arrive from Texas and people can holiday in Italy .

The message is wrong. The policy is wrong. Airports/ports are the source of this. Our testing and tracing is average and quarantining/border control is bloody awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

523406.png

Someone should have thought about protecting nursing homes before the end of April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

The gardai need to be given every power to enforce it if required. We need to beat this virus off the streets or else our economy will be destroyed and our kids will never get back to school.

I have some bad news for you.

Yeah it was probably someone from Ryanair trying to fvck up another country. The lockdown in italy was generally popular with high levels of compliance after the carnage in BERGAMO.

https://twitter.com/simoncalder/status/1291397680997060609?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The legislation can’t be passed, or at least can’t be lawful because a referendum would be required to change the constitution.

And the dail isn't back for four weeks I think so this wouldn't be enforceable for four weeks at least. I have to say some of the comments from the Taoiseach and the acting CMO weren't fair. MM said that people are acting as if the virus isn't here or words to that effect which I'm sorry is not what I'm seeing in cork city. There's more masks around and people are actively moving out of people's way to socially distant.

growleaves wrote: »
    La Repubblica is a left-wing newspaper, should make you happy at least.

An official complaint is relevant news - it indicates there are people who are not happy with the policy, and a national newspaper carrying it indicates same.

Don't blame me for the headline, I'm not the subeditor who wrote it.

You'd no problem posting it, without properly checking it.

Par for the course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

ElTel wrote:
    Agreed. Could we perhaps trial a system that relies on a saliva sample? For example the plant/factory health and safety officer/doctor oversees the collection of saliva samples into sterilized bottles and they get couriered to lab.
    Using a different sample type isn't going to aid capacity. They still have to be processed in the same laboratories that are short staffed and under resourced.

And you can't just start using saliva samples on existing equipment when they are validated for nasopharengyl swabs. It's like putting petrol in a diesel car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

So no one can stand at the sidelines of a soccer/ Gaelic/ hurling pitch to watch a game in the open air, but 50 people can gather in a room some probably having travelled together eat and get pissed but because it's a wedding it's safe. Anyone that supports these measures care to explain the logic of the aforementioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ll31

Have we seen evidence of transmission on public transport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Anyone else think these measures are unclear?

As in do the limits on number of people who can gather only affect private houses and matches? Are things like gigs, cinemas, theatres exempt? So can have 200 at outdoor gig but not 200 at a match? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

So no one can stand at the sidelines of a soccer/ Gaelic/ hurling pitch to watch a game in the open air, but 50 people can gather in a room some probably having travelled together eat and get pissed but because it's a wedding it's safe. Anyone that supports these measures care to explain the logic of the aforementioned.
    pretty sure Martin was referring to a church and that its a constitutional issue.

they don't want you to go to weddings in a church but can't say you can't

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement