Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Ll31 wrote: »
    Have we seen evidence of transmission on public transport?

May be attributing some community transmission to that I guess. In the absence of any other ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Eod100 wrote: »
    Anyone else think these measures are unclear?

As in do the limits on number of people who can gather only affect private houses and matches? Are things like gigs, cinemas, theatres exempt? So can have 200 at outdoor gig but not 200 at a match? :confused:
    did they say cinemas could open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Anyone else think these measures are unclear?

As in do the limits on number of people who can gather only affect private houses and matches? Are things like gigs, cinemas, theatres exempt? So can have 200 at outdoor gig but not 200 at a match? :confused:

You can't go and watch a match in the open air, but you and 49 other people you know can get pissed together at a wedding. Must be anti Covid food and alcohol at these weddings. The government and Nphet are absolutely rudderless now. Thank Christ I don't have any young children heading back to school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

You realise it's not a punishment? It's to try and save there life's

Then hit the ones that are spreading it and not those who are doing what are asked of them from day one
    So the spread is by the under 45 so the solution is to ask the over 70’s to restrict movement once again ? Very unfair in my opinion

Strumms wrote: »
    Schools reopening just won’t end well, sorry... it’s boneheaded.

Personally I don't see it happening. The cases are now too high and increasing. You can't open something new when r rate is high and has been for well over a month.

There will be another lockdown next month here and the North.

R rate is 1.6 in both jurisdictions.

Funny that considering they have followed our guidelines throughout.

So it's not some bar in Dublin at the weekend or a meat plant in offaly. The policys in the North are the same, the level of disease are the same. The problem is not the people but the policies.

Lockdown next month and then control our borders. Should have been done in June instead of this car crash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Does anyone want to get married?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Kind of you to ask but I am already married thanks !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Personally I don't see it happening. The cases are now too high and increasing. You can't open something new when r rate is high and has been for well over a month.

There will be another lockdown next month here and the North.

R rate is 1.6 in both jurisdictions.

Funny that considering they have followed our guidelines throughout.

So it's not some bar in Dublin at the weekend or a meat plant in offaly. The policys in the North are the same, the level of disease are the same. The problem is not the people but the policies.

The problem is not the policies but the people. We were asked to keep our close contacts low. Many people are doing this but others are not and it these people who are driving up the R number of the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Can we have a GAA match during the afters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

you could get married with 6 people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

the government already has the power to declare an emergency order under the 1939 emergency powers act.

one sub section states
    (n) authorise and provide for the entering into and searching of any lands, premises, vehicles, ships and other vessels, or aircraft in circumstances and by persons specified or indicated in such emergency order;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

owlbethere wrote: »
    The problem is not the policies but the people. We were asked to keep our close contacts low. Many people are doing this but others are not and it these people who are driving up the R number of the virus.
    Workplaces are causing the vast majority of these close contacts.

MM answer? Ban people from attending GAA matches. Unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The legislation can’t be passed, or at least can’t be lawful because a referendum would be required to change the constitution.

Would we actually need to change the constitution ? If they are talking about it they must be thinking of amending some existing legislation rather than actually changing the constitution. I don't know the legal in's and out's, but I presume if this is being talked about it must be possible. Though it wouldn't be the first time a journalist has tweeted something that's actually an impossibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

irishgeo wrote: »
    the government already has the power to declare an emergency order under the 1939 emergency powers act.

one sub section states

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1295785736223035399?s=19

As much as I dislike them Sinn Fein have also said its their understanding that a special sitting of the Dáil will be required to pass legislation and they await details from government

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭plodder

Schools have to reopen. Get serious about the other restrictions, but 15 limit on outdoors seems crazy to me.

4th highest rate of change means nothing imo. It's the cases level per capita that matters for comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

Been a frustrating day so some good news might be welcome. Dr. John Campbell discusses some of the recent studies regarding immunity. He is VERY optimistic that it is long term.

In the second half of the video he also delves into how immunity works so well worth a watch if you'd like to understand it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

did they say cinemas could open?

Just taking it from this they may be but tbh it's not clear. They really need to spell things out. When they're not providing the restrictions universally they need to specify.

''All remaining community, religious, cultural, social and sport facilities can remain open.

Sporting events and matches can continue to take place behind closed doors.''

But right above that they have below so I'm none the wiser tbh:

''Limits on mass gatherings have now been reintroduced.

Indoor gatherings and events are now limited to 6 people from no more than 3 households.

Outdoor gatherings and events are limited to 15 people.

Weddings are exempt from this guidance and can be held with up to 50 people in attendance including staff working at the venue.

Meeting people outdoors is safer than meeting indoors. Physical distancing should be observed at all times when meeting others.''

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/cf9b0d-new-public-health-measures-effective-now-to-prevent-further-spread-o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Lundstram wrote: »
    Workplaces are causing the vast majority of these close contacts.

MM answer? Ban people from attending GAA matches. Unbelievable.

its not the matches, its people travelling in cars together, meeting friends before or after for food/drinks. Maybe watching together from vantage points outside grounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Just an awful press conference tonight, Michael Martin very Tetchy, all over the place, WTF was Eamonn Ryan doing at it, useless, CMO looked, very, very, very uncomfortable and made a rare slip or perhaps not, saying, no we don't encourage over 70's going to hotels (Failte Ireland and the IHF, won't be pleased. Stephen Donnelly is completely out of his depth.

Just a bizzare, surreal and depressing, is this really the best they can do, very telling FG stayed away, they just seem to be clutching at straws.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

Oranage2 wrote: »
    If people follow the rules, the factories get checks and there's no outbreaks from schools going back then it might be okay. Though it's slim to none all this happening

Just popped up on my phone that a wedding can have 50 guests but a child's birthday party can have no more than six.

I have to ask who comes up with this?

Are the hotel owners asking the government to allow more people at events? It seems that way and this is a very odd virus indeed if the containment policies can be altered to suit business interests.

• Advertisement

You can't go and watch a match in the open air, but you and 49 other people you know can get pissed together at a wedding. Must be anti Covid food and alcohol at these weddings. The government and Nphet are absolutely rudderless now. Thank Christ I don't have any young children heading back to school.

There are far too many contradictions. It is mostly for show to be seen to be doing something. Not many people will buy this. Who in their right mind after that briefing is saying good call government?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Using a different sample type isn't going to aid capacity. They still have to be processed in the same laboratories that are short staffed and under resourced.

And you can't just start using saliva samples on existing equipment when they are validated for nasopharengyl swabs. It's like putting petrol in a diesel car.

Martina, as one of the rare few that actually has a bit of knowledge about testing, labs and so on - what do you make of the disparity between positive cases from the dashboard and then the daily case numbers that get announced each day?

The idea that these numbers are being "held back" on purpose is, to me, complete tinfoil hat stuff, but do have any insight yourself?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

No talk of factories or schools, the two areas that have featured the most in the last week as both the source and potential future source of outbreaks respectively. Irrespective of you being a lock it down or open it up mindset, the Minister of Education being AWOL to this point is an insult to society and a clear sign of someone floundering in the role. More than disgust, I feel pity for her for being put in that position.

Just taking it from this they may be but tbh it's not clear. They really need to spell things out. When they're not providing the restrictions universally they need to specify.

''All remaining community, religious, cultural, social and sport facilities can remain open.

Indoor gatherings and events are now limited to 6 people from no more than 3 households.

Weddings are exempt from this guidance and can be held with up to 50 people in attendance including staff working at the venue.

Meeting people outdoors is safer than meeting indoors. Physical distancing should be observed at all times when meeting others.''

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/cf9b0d-new-public-health-measures-effective-now-to-prevent-further-spread-o/

So weddings are safe? Is this because of the special magic generated by true love :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Then hit the ones that are spreading it and not those who are doing what are asked of them from day one
    So the spread is by the under 45 so the solution is to ask the over 70’s to restrict movement once again ? Very unfair in my opinion

Think logically, they can't ask under 70s to restrict there movments as there would be no work force

This isn't a punishment its to save over 70s life's,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Poorside wrote: »
    Do you want to close supermarkets as well?

Just stop alcohol sales.
    Suggesting closure of supermarkets is idiotic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Not today. Ask me next month.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Just an awful press conference tonight, Michael Martin very Tetchy, all over the place, WTF was Eamonn Ryan doing at it, useless, CMO looked, very, very, very uncomfortable and made a rare slip or perhaps not, saying, no we don't encourage over 70's going to hotels (Failte Ireland and the IHF, won't be pleased. Stephen Donnelly is completely out of his depth.

Just a bizzare, surreal and depressing, is this really the best they can do, very telling FG stayed away, they just seem to be clutching at straws.

They are out of ideas. They don't believe the new restrictions will make any difference. They are praying r rate will suddenly drop below 1 for some reason or else we will have another lockdown next month. Very uninspiring. When Leo spoke in March you believed what he was saying. This was too cringe tonight. The politicians don't buy it and neither will the people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Honestly is it any wonder people are confused and pissed off. Reading that it's saying different things at times. Either it's one or the other and people will know where they are once it's clear. Also, why is a wedding not included. A wedding is an indoor gathering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

irishgeo wrote: »
    its not the matches, its people travelling in cars together, meeting friends before or after for food/drinks. Maybe watching together from vantage points outside grounds.

Nonsense

So weddings are safe? Is this because of the special magic generated by true love :rolleyes:

Sure the first bit says restrictions are brought by then lists all the exemptions. Sure most if not all events fit into those categories! The communication here has been woeful. If they're not clear they won't be followed. It's as simple as that.

Think logically, they can't ask under 70s to restrict there movments as there would be no work force

This isn't a punishment its to save over 70s life's,

The Taoiseach came to my parents house and spend the day in my father's company. Then let's see if he the heart to tell my mother there is another lockdown.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭spookwoman

xabi wrote: »
    Nonsense

Its what was said at the briefing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Honestly is it any wonder people are confused and pissed off. Reading that it's saying different things at times. Either it's one or the other and people will know where they are once it's clear. Also, why is a wedding not included. A wedding is an indoor gathering.

Only a matter of time when the Berlin Bar, Dame Street, Dublin will start accepting wedding parties, I'm sure posters are already being printed

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Poorside wrote: »
    Do you want to close supermarkets as well?

If you think of off licences in the same way as supermarkets I think maybe you have a problem...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

So they're trying to let the Garda come into our house when ever they ficking want without a warrant or probable cause......WTF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

spookwoman wrote: »
    Its what was said at the briefing

Which is nonsense, you can meet friends for food drink anyway.

Itssoeasy wrote: »

And sport facilities are open but matches can't have crowds and fairly sure they said gyms had to have 6 max so it's all over the place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

GAA Statement
    Following this evening’s unexpected announcement the GAA invites Dr Ronan Glynn and NPHET to present the empirical evidence which informed the requirement for the Association to curtail its activities.

The Association will tonight be issuing an invitation to Dr Glynn to meet with its Covid Advisory Group in this regard without delay.

The GAA and its members remain at all times committed to protecting public health.
    https://www.gaa.ie/news/gaa-statement-on-covid-19-social-restrictions/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The Taoiseach came to my parents house and spend the day in father's company. Then let's see if he the hear to tell my mother there is another lockdown.:eek:

Not sure what your saying?

• Advertisement

owlbethere wrote: »

Similar guidelines in NI. Same r rate 1.6. Similar level of disease. These SD measures are not sustainable past a few months. So the people in the North and down here are reckless and the policies are good. The policy is wrong, change direction/control our borders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Good to see the GAA put it up to Glynn to provide his evidence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

The message is wrong. The policy is wrong. Airports/ports are the source of this. Our testing and tracing is average and quarantining/border control is bloody awful.

Can you please produce evidence about this? The ECDC on RTÉ today refuted your contention that you are constantly raising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

I think there would be uproar if that happened. There are probably thousands of people who enjoy a few drinks at home without it being a party..
    Unfortunately a minority of idiots just can't behave themselves.

Just think it’s a bit unfair that publicans must shut where there might be some bit of structure vs a load of lads having house parties where anything goes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Similar guidelines in NI. Same r rate 1.6. Similar level of disease. These SD measures are not sustainable past a few months. So the people in the North and down here are reckless and the policies are good. The policy is wrong, change direction/control our borders.

Bit late for that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ll31

Evidence on public Transport?
    Pentecost wrote: »
    May be attributing some community transmission to that I guess. In the absence of any other ideas.

Sounds likely but if they go to the effort of mentioning it, you would think theyd say x cases identified from using public Transport.. given that they didnt say that youd wonder if it's just nonsense tbh... but I'm probably too cynical at this stage...

Sure the first bit says restrictions are brought by then lists all the exemptions. Sure most if not all events fit into those categories! The communication here has been woeful. If they're not clear they won't be followed. It's as simple as that.

The authorities are trying to keep people safe and I wouldn't take on their job for anything.

But telling the elderly they cannot have a social life or see their grandchildren AND confusing them about is actually going on is just nuts.

The old folks are my mother's neighbourhood are feeling safe about being out. They cannot get cooped up again before the autumn and winter hits. My other has been looking forward to speaking to the all people who used to wave at during the lockdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

These measures have to be taken to ensure the meat factories are all up and running to make more for their Oligarch owners!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well that's interesting from the gaa. They're pumping the ball into the square and seeing how the CMO defends it so to speak.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

So they're trying to let the Garda come into our house when ever they ficking want without a warrant or probable cause......WTF

The probable cause will be if the requirement to limit numbers gathering together indoors is supected of being flouted. Seems clear enough to me.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement