Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Ireland is the Sick man of Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

So weddings are safe? Is this because of the special magic generated by true love :rolleyes:

Any wedding I've been at have always involved serious quantities of alcohol. I doubt somehow that limiting the number to 50 is going to change that, so you have people drinking for close on 12 hours, good luck.with that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

Not sure what your saying?

A couple of typos due to a faulty keyboard. I corrected but still it was easy enough to figure out the meaning,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1295785736223035399?s=19

As much as I dislike them Sinn Fein have also said its their understanding that a special sitting of the Dáil will be required to pass legislation and they await details from government
    If that's the case, MM should have recalled the dail and get it in motion. Instead he'll dither and delay and either come back next week and recall it, or come back and say under the constitution they can't change the law.
    This should have been all ready to go right after the punch and Judy new conference this evening.

Have they no forward thinking? Look at trends in the country and worldwide and plan for contingencies.
    Posters here were right, it's all reactionary.

Most counties are seeing an up tick, the UK have some large clusters in factories, I think Spain had issues with pubs. But none have major issues with outdoor events.
    We now have clusters everywhere apart from pubs and minimal community spread (in relation to clusters, it's still a high number)

What's next to close when more clusters appear in factories? Heaven forbid we actually deal with clusters.
    It's all hot air from the current government and I think they have lost a bit of the public. They should have been seen to come down hard on factories, show they will enforce guidelines or close them down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well that's interesting from the gaa. They're pumping the ball into the square and seeing how the CMO defends it so to speak.

I’m a GAA member and also a massive soccer supporter, thank **** someone is sticking it up to them.
    Michael Duignane, chairman of Offaly GAA was on the 6.01 earlier. Not a single case in lockdown-Offaly has been linked to GAA activities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Prime Time will have the answers, starts now

Bit late for that now.

What's the alternative?

China locked down hard, while controlling borders.

Now there is normality.

What is the point of a lockdown otherwise?

You can't expect to keep locking people down for years.

Are the surprised people are tired of SD after 5 months.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Some very valid reasons brought up by this Dr read the thread

main one
    https://twitter.com/DrZeroCraic/status/1295749730736234497?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Meeting in the morning to discuss the cancellation of all Rebel Og GAA matches after the governments announcement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I'd rather get some medical advice off Michael Jacksons doctor, than Glynn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

spookwoman wrote: »

That lad should concentrate more of his time on being a doctor, and less on being a media personality

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Meeting in the morning to discuss the cancellation of all Rebel Og GAA matches after the governments announcement

Knew it would happen. A ****ing shambles for kids.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Good to see the GAA put it up to Glynn to provide his evidence

The relevant part of the GAA statement is the following.

The GAA and its members remain at all times committed to protecting public health.

Which means that the GAA can question Glynn or any other health authority person all they want but at the end of the day they will go along with the new regulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I think they left weddings alone because they didnt want to be fielding questions from Zara King about them anymore......

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Knew it would happen. A ****ing shambles for kids.

Hasn't happened yet but is being discussed

How can you have matches where the parents bring kids to matches but have to go away?

• Advertisement

The relevant part of the GAA statement is the following.

The GAA and its members remain at all times committed to protecting public health.

Which means that the GAA can question Glynn or any other health authority all they want but at the end of the day they will go along with the new regulations.

Sure but they will keep the pressure up on him to justify his decisions

I'm sure he has all the data available no bother

mloc123 wrote: »
    That lad should concentrate more of his time on being a doctor, and less on being a media personality

There is so many of these celebrity doctors popping up. I agree GPS should concentrate on looking after their patients in the height of a pandemic than trying to carve out new media careers.

There is so many of these celebrity doctors popping up. I agree GPS should concentrate on looking after their patients in the height of a pandemic than trying to carve out new media careers.

So GP'S Nurses etc can't have a say or opinion on whats going on but everyone else can :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Arghus wrote:
    Martina, as one of the rare few that actually has a bit of knowledge about testing, labs and so on - what do you make of the disparity between positive cases from the dashboard and then the daily case numbers that get announced each day?

The idea that these numbers are being "held back" on purpose is, to me, complete tinfoil hat stuff, but do have any insight yourself?
    I don't know why that disparity suddenly started occurring. There have been a few theories mentioned here but no one knows for sure.

Perhaps when large outbreaks have been discovered they wait to notify all those cases together to the HSPC.

I dont think its a conspiracy to purposely hold back cases. I think it was a change in the method of reporting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The thing is though he has a point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Prime Time will have the answers, starts now

I couldn't be dealing with Miriam O'Callaghan at this hour of the night. It's been a long day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Personally I don't see it happening. The cases are now too high and increasing. You can't open something new when r rate is high and has been for well over a month.

There will be another lockdown next month here and the North.

R rate is 1.6 in both jurisdictions.

Funny that considering they have followed our guidelines throughout.

So it's not some bar in Dublin at the weekend or a meat plant in offaly. The policys in the North are the same, the level of disease are the same. The problem is not the people but the policies.

Lockdown next month and then control our borders. Should have been done in June instead of this car crash.

I think an issue was the slowness to react to the situation and to be chasing the tail of covid instead of being ‘ahead’ of the curve and proactive... even if that meant a lot of people were accusing the authorities of ‘overkill’... that’s better than ‘covid kill’... the problem now really is the personal responsibilities and behaviors of large parts of the community, business and social...just hasn’t been up to the required standards to enable the out from this shîtshow.... people are the problem.

Easy interview for Donnelly so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Seamai wrote: »
    I couldn't be dealing with Miriam O'Callaghan at this hour of the night. It's been a long day.
    For some reason I thought Claire Byrne was on this show. Turned it off once that other yoke appeared.

Slimey Donnelly on as well. No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

spookwoman wrote: »
    So GP'S Nurses etc can't have a say or opinion on whats going on but everyone else can :rolleyes:
    Yet they'll find a tweet from some obscure lecturer in Uzbekistan which contradicts what 99% of medical professionals say and repost it over and over again.

I'm delighted to see Irish medical professionals using social media to try and combat some of the disinformation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Seamai wrote: »

Looks like their blooding the replacements....they had one for Meeriam last week and David Harvey’s understudy is there tonight...Meeriam and David must be preparing to cocoon :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

What is our record number of weekly tests? Has this purported 100k capacity actually been properly tested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Can you please produce evidence about this? The ECDC on RTÉ today refuted your contention that you are constantly raising.

A thought experiment if you will.

A deadly disease with an Ro of 3 and a doubling time of 4 days is squashed
    in hiberina (a fictional island in north Western Europe). through the hard work of the public respecting public health measures and harsh restrictions.

They are now enjoying the fruits of their labour and can move freely about without hindrance or fear of contracting the virus. Croke park is full of 80,000 fans and kids can all go to school. The only continuing sacrifice is that tourism is not permitted and anyone arriving must quarantine for 14 days and test negative for the virus. This has been the situation for 100 days.

If the virus is to reemerge how the fvck will it NOT come from travel given that there is zero virus on the island of Hibernia and the people their don't eat bats from where the virus came?

Can you please produce evidence about this? The ECDC on RTÉ today refuted your contention that you are constantly raising.

Yes europe and ECDC seem to be doing a great job. Cases rising in practically every european country. I'm not saying ECDC are doing a great job or most of Europe either. Look to Asian countries Vietnam/China/South Korea. They all have strict borders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

New Zealand gets a few cases and it's an excuse to shame them, pathetic. We're also comparing ourselves to them but couldn't a few days ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭quartz1

The new Prime Time Presenter is impressive.....not giving Donnelly an easy time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

seamus wrote: »
    A lot of people here getting worked up over rumours and "inside sources".

Calm your tits lads.

A lot of people were right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Simon Donnelly is in way over his egg shaped head....

Brutal choice for health minister....himself and michael martin look shell shocked

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Yes europe and ECDC seem to be doing a great job. Cases rising in practically every european country. I'm not saying ECDC are doing a great job or most of Europe either. Look to Asian countries Vietnam/China/South Korea. They all have strict borders.

Still no evidence.

What is our record number of weekly tests? Has this purported 100k capacity actually been properly tested?

Think ~60k is highest
    The 100k is fairytale stuff, will never ever ever be used, we can barely cope with 5k a day atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Donnelly coming across very well here making a lot of sense. Stop the house parties folks you aren't helping anyone and prolonging all our misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭strawdog

digzy wrote: »
    Just think it’s a bit unfair that publicans must shut where there might be some bit of structure vs a load of lads having house parties where anything goes

Heard this line of argument a few times. For my money, if you put younger folk in a pub for a couple of hours and then tell them to scoot just as the booze kicks in, they aren't then going to go home satisfied with their night's socializing. At least the way it is now, it's only the ones committed to breaking the rules who are doing so. With pubs open, the rubber armed will too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Hasn't happened yet but is being discussed

How can you have matches where the parents bring kids to matches but have to go away?

Surely these junior matches are effectively "summer camps"? The organizers should cop on, and play on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

A thought experiment if you will.

A deadly disease with an Ro of 3 and a doubling time of 4 days is squashed
    in hiberina (a fictional island in north Western Europe). through the hard work of the public respecting public health measures and harsh restrictions.

They are now enjoying the fruits of their labour and can move freely about without hindrance or fear of contracting the virus. Croke park is full of 80,000 fans and kids can all go to school. The only continuing sacrifice is that tourism is not permitted and anyone arriving must quarantine for 14 days and test negative for the virus. This has been the situation for 100 days.

If the virus is to reemerge how the fvck will it NOT come from travel given that there is zero virus on the island of Hibernia and the people their don't eat bats from where the virus came?

It never went away.

To take on your strategy -

1. build a wall on island of Ireland.
    2. Leave the EU.
    3. Develop a new economic model.

And this will bring -

Abject poverty and mass emigration.

• Advertisement

if counting mon to sun then weekending the 3/5/2020 with 570109 if using numbers from the hub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Donnelly coming across very well here making a lot of sense. Stop the house parties folks you aren't helping anyone and prolonging all our misery.

Jesus you are relentless. Excellent dedication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Donelley talks a good game, but he's always short on detail.

The European commission is advising based on ideology. Open borders above all else. Best to let it get to a level where you can say "travel is a minute part of the transmission" instead of truthfully saying "it's the origin of the transmission".
    • We can't have our cake and it.
    • We can't have cheeky holidays to the continent.
    • We can't have free travel.
    • We can't go to packed stadiums.
    • We can't even go to the pub while expecting our kids to be able to return to school.

The only countries that can do that have implemented quarantine and testing.

Donnelly scaremongering about another national lockdown

Has mentioned it quite a few times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Was just talking to an elderly neighbour on the phone that I do keep an eye out for and he says he hasn’t a fcukin notion of going back into another lock down.hed be near 80.

• Advertisement

There’s very little politicians that come across as bad as Donnelly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Jesus you are relentless. Excellent dedication.

You think house parties are a good idea :confused:Come on pal it's ruining it for everybody

Was just talking to an elderly neighbour on the phone that I do keep an eye out for and he says he hasn’t a fcukin notion of going back into another lock down.hed be near 80.

My grandmother hasn’t a notion of staying at home. She’s almost 90.

It never went away.

To take on your strategy -

1. build a wall on island of Ireland.
    2. Leave the EU.
    3. Develop a new economic model.

And this will bring -

Abject poverty and mass emigration.

Complete sad ass strawman argument Mr O'Leary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

****.... had an AGM Organised for 2 September ... max 60 would be attending.

Now what are my options???? Am already 15 months to the day from last AGM and so am just within th3 Law on holding it. Don’t see the Companies Office extending the 15 month rule.... so am buggerred.

Any help appreciated!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement