Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Arghus wrote: »
    I don't think he's scaremongering to be honest. It's entirely possible if shyte continues to go south. It's not a sure thing, but dismissing it as impossible is wishful thinking.

That's the first time I've heard the kite flown of another lockdown, a couple of times too. That's significant.

Ha. Prepping us for a month after schools open when hospitalisation numbers start climbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

it seems we don't just have beef barons but wedding barons
    The Government has instead committed to review the situation amid concerns that it would stymie not just weddings but other events which support businesses. One Government source explained, “It’s not just people; it’s money circulating.”
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/new-covid-restrictions-how-do-they-compare-with-nphet-s-advice-1.4333557 who are these wedding barons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Turkish1 wrote: »
    So many questions in relation to how this will be implemented it not what are the actual powers of the guards in relation to house parties?

How do these restrictions legally stack up - what 'law' is being broken if someone has a house party? These restrictions come into place immediately but are laws/bills actually being signed into law?

Am I right in saying it is 6 people excluding those living in the house? What if I have 5 kids and 7 living in the house?

What if someone just doesn't open the door, are the going to break the door in for someone having a few people over without evidence of any rules/laws being broken.

Do they just send people on their way or are there on the spot fines?

Just dont think this is really going to work to be honest - fatigue is setting in

I think if you are not having a massive loud party this will not be enforced.
    Can't imagine the gardai going to break down your door because you have a few neighbours in your kitchen or back garden ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The throwing of FF under the bus has begun

Tuesday’s Cabinet briefing was unusually fractious. There were complaints from Tánaiste Leo Varadkar, and many Ministers, over how little time people had to reflect on a series of significant changes, and how it would impact on their departments.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/new-covid-restrictions-how-do-they-compare-with-nphet-s-advice-1.4333557?mode=amp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

not being able to go watch a gaa or soccer match with a limit of 80 -ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Donnelly this evening, I don't know if someone worked out the true number since the start of lockdown, he said "only" 3 out of 100 visitors into the country have Covid.
    Anyone know how many 100's of people have came in??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

hmmm wrote: »
    It's a pity more people don't take the time to read these. Explains the rationale.

I wish they would give more background information behind lines like "more clusters relating to sporting activities". It would help calm the hysteria.

Also - that's not Comic Sans is it?

Yeah I'm not sure about optics of GAA requesting meeting with Glynn to meet them tbh. Fair enough seek further clarity from NPHET but not sure have they strayed into personalising it. Wouldn't envy job of CMO now at all.

Hope not, would be a fairly poor choice!

https://twitter.com/Antcon7062/status/1295850555542306818

Thought it was fairly revealing that Donnelly at end of interview on Prime Time said he's trying to prevent a national lockdown in the next few weeks. Wonder in private has NPHET briefed him or Cabinet that choice is between these temporary measures now for 3.5 weeks or national lockdown after that if cases still high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Eod100 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm not sure about optics of GAA requesting meeting with Glynn to meet them tbh. Fair enough seek further clarity from NPHET but not sure have they strayed into personalising it. Wouldn't envy job of CMO now at all.

Hope not, would be a fairly poor choice!

https://twitter.com/Antcon7062/status/1295850555542306818

Glynn is the face of NPHET

That meeting shouldnt take more than 15 mins if the data that the decision making is based on is accurate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Only problem is they'll always have the cop out that they did what they had to do given the evidence available.
    Have house parties been as rampant as they are saying or is it a cushy area to blame. Haven't come across many and no nobody admitting to being at one!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Tuesday’s Cabinet briefing was unusually fractious. There were complaints from Tánaiste Leo Varadkar, and many Ministers, over how little time people had to reflect on a series of significant changes, and how it would impact on their departments.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/new-covid-restrictions-how-do-they-compare-with-nphet-s-advice-1.4333557?mode=amp

Thereby triggering another general election which they would be blamed for causing and in all probability leading to SF gaining power with possibly an overall majority. Sounds like a great plan to me..................not.

Donnelly this evening, I don't know if someone worked out the true number since the start of lockdown, he said "only" 3 out of 100 visitors into the country have Covid.

Shocking statement, we are only getting 2 percent positivity of tested people who you would think would be higher risk. At one point our positivity was 0.2 per cent.

Imagine if we had of had all those people in properly secure quarantine and not out in the community infecting other households.

Again makes me believe our open door policy is our biggest weakness in all of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,685 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Thought it was fairly revealing that Donnelly at end of interview on Prime Time said he's trying to prevent a national lockdown in the next few weeks. Wonder in private has NPHET briefed him or Cabinet that choice is between these temporary measures now for 3.5 weeks or national lockdown after that if cases still high.

Never gonna happen and I think that's more likely him looking for a media headline

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

The more I listen to these health professionals, the ones who want to talk up the virus, it's almost as if they have some sort of ulterior motive for the virus to be at the forefront of international discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

He said (I believe in the past 2 weeks) 3 out of 100 of cases were related to travel, so that included the secondary infections caused by an infected person getting off a plane and infecting others.

I'm no FF fan (or FG) but if FG are playing politics with this, they're acting the maggot. They're in government together. Do all the politicing in the world in advance of next election but need a stable government with a coherent message.

Trying to portray FF as the baddies when Cabinet agreed is daft.

These measures will not stop a National lockdown.

Cases are too high r rate too high.

How is banning people not attending a gaa match going to reduce r rate from 1.6 to below 1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭almostover

The government are playing this ultra safe but IMO are being too cautious.

The lack of authority and direction is really damaging morale.

Most other countries in Europe are living normal lives without COVID obsessions

It is only when you step out of the madness in Ireland you realise in other countries life is not driven by this COVID hysteria.

We have a serious problem and need to snap out of it for the good of all our mental health.

It is time for tough decisions not ultra cautious stagnation.

You really haven't been watching the news have you, have a look at what has happen in Spain the last few weeks. The tough decisions are being made here. We've a chronic bad health system and therefore we must be uber conservative to ensure it doesn't get overwhelmed. I agree that the tough decisions weren't made but those were pre-Covid. Our apathy towards properly funding public services and that tax input that entails has been badly exposed. That an the inhumanity of direct provision and low paid work in the country.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Never gonna happen and I think that's more likely him looking for a media headline

I hope not. Could be him trying to use it as a stick alright.

• Advertisement

The more I listen to these health professionals, the ones who want to talk up the virus, it's almost as if they have some sort of ulterior motive for the virus to be at the forefront of international discussion

What would be their ulterior motive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Such as...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

There is no way we will be able to have a border shutdown and to have an IE-UK aligned strategy on zero-Covid.

We need a sensible strategy at the airports which includes testing (focused, random and voluntary), advance electronic passenger locator details (airlines to facilitate) and a clear narrative. I would be happy enough to restrict travel from certain high risk non-EU locations but we need to weigh up public health and long term economic considerations (discourage tourists but be open to business people with clean 72 hour test results)

We need a solution which will proactively manage risk and one which is consistent with an overall EU approach. It may not be the Silver bullet solution people want but far better than the current finger wagging peer pressure.

But most of all the known domestic risks need to be managed. Balls were dropped and there was a huge amount of complacency. We reopened elements of the economy and closed down our defences.

Wouldn't disagree with most of that. I agree the peer pressure thing is very 1970s Catholic Church compliance. Doesn't wash with the youth or most people these days.

Civil responsibility is a different kettle of fish and we had better wrap our heads around it quick before we experience multiple rolling lockdowns that decimate the economy. If we could had a fast , accurate test done at point of entry with quick turn around tourism wouldn't be an issue.

It's extremely beguiling to think that international travel isn't a factor in the spread of covid but it's a logical non starter. Proper solutions are needed if we are all to forego personal freedoms. Otherwise what's the point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Wolf359f wrote: »
    He said (I believe in the past 2 weeks) 3 out of 100 of cases were related to travel, so that included the secondary infections caused by an infected person getting off a plane and infecting others.

Are you sure, it's not the way I heard it, let's say your are correct, can we still put an estimate on it, we've had how many people into the country since lockdown?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,685 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I hope not. Could be him trying to use it as a stick alright.

Using a stick has never been a good method of anything - but that is the whole hidden message of this FF government's response

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Is there any evidence that the recent cases are linked to travel? Also is there any evidence of clusters developing as a result of the return of sports? There does not seem to be a plan at the moment. With the scattergun approach contact tracing must have totally failed, so much so that they don't have a clue where a lot of these cases stem from.

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    Using a stick has never been a good method of anything - but that is the whole hidden message of this FF government's response

I agree, incentive always a better motivor than fear/punishment. It's a FF, FG and Green government too so can't let them off the hook. Though would well suit FG for them to be seen as good cops and FF the baddies..!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

h2005 wrote: »
    Is there any evidence that the recent cases are linked to travel? Also is there any evidence of clusters developing as a result of the return of sports? There does not seem to be a plan at the moment. With the scattergun approach contact tracing must have totally failed, so much so that they don't have a clue where a lot of these cases stem from.
    There's some good stats here:

https://twitter.com/President_MU/status/1295851284659044354

Leo is a massive fvcking **** stirrer. I'm no FF fan but I can see what he is doing. If only there were a photographer to capture his outrage. ?He should retire to the phoenix park with a bag of cans and meditate on the damage his political machinations are doing to the country. As a doctor he knows full well the implications of rising cases and the effect it will have on the economy and people.

Asking old people to hide away til their dying days is immoral in my opinion when there is a clear alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

Not sure how much sense the sport restrictions make. Most big sports leagues are on hold, or are being played behind closed doors. Finland's soccer league restarted on July the 1st, so a good 10 rounds have now been played - they have restricted crowds to 500 per stadium stand (so basically up to 2500 spectators can attend, depending on the stadium). So far there has been no cases of Covid-19 reported to be linked with the soccer league, so it doesn't seem to be particularly high risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Most other countries in Europe are living normal lives without COVID obsessions

That's completely not true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Many do of course...don’t think for a second they’re on rte etc for your benefit or there’s some kind of public benevolence and martyrdom involved.
    It’s about raising a profile for varied reasons- academic profile and promotion, jockeying for research funding and positions, to roles in media and/or politics. I fully expect a few of our “Covid experts” to land a few seats in the Seanad out of all this. I’m under no illusions, I know how the world works- Covid 19 is easy street for all the above as you dont actually have to do or achieve very much only finger wave and rehash failed “solutions” like lockdowns

I would think it`s quite likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I would think it`s quite likely.

Of course you would...!

Are you sure, it's not the way I heard it, let's say your are correct, can we still put an estimate on it, we've had how many people into the country since lockdown?

It doesn't matter how many. It's 3% of confirmed cases can the traced back to travel or a close contact of someone who travelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

It has gotten to the stage where we should just bite the bullet and get the virus on purpose. No I'm serious, anyone who is healthy and say between the ages of 18 and 45 could turn up to a designated centre in each county and be administered the virus. If a quarter our population got the virus at once say over a weekend, then we as country immediately go into a strict lockdown for 20 days, when we come out of it hey presto we have achieved herd imunity in a controlled manner thus protecting the vulnerable people of our nation.
    People will say, its a crazy idea and there will be thousands of deaths and our hospitals will be overrun, i don't think so, I'd say the vast majority would have no symptoms and those that have symptoms will be mild. When the lockdown is over we as a country can then lift the restrictions and go about our normal business.
    With the path we are going now, most of those people are going to get it anyway over the coming months and they will unwittingly pass it on to vulnerable people leading to more deaths and the misery will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Leo is a massive fvcking **** stirrer. I'm no FF fan but I can see what he is doing. If only there were a photographer to capture his outrage. ?He should retire to the phoenix park with a bag of cans and meditate on the damage his political machinations are doing to the country. As a doctor he knows full well the implications of rising cases and the effect it will have on the economy and people.

Asking old people to hide away til their dying days is immoral in my opinion when there is a clear alternative.

He also knows come late 2022 he's back in office and can "fix" the FF mistakes and blame it all on them for the next election.

I didn't vote FF in the election but I cant see any scenario where all of this doesn't get brought up and they take a hammering, Leo blames it all on them for whatever happens in the next two years.

There were opinion polls published recently showing FG rating going up since FF came into government, so its already happening. Leo and FG will just be hoping that holds out for the next while and something like this does FG little harm in saying well look we tried to stop them

road_high wrote: »
    Of course you would...!

That`s right. I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭obi604

In regard to gyms- does not make sense, If the max number of people that can exercise outdoors is 15. How can gyms have 50 or so indoors? Or Even a church 50 indoors.

Or am I missing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Akabusi wrote: »
    It has gotten to the stage where we should just bite the bullet and get the virus on purpose. No I'm serious, anyone who is healthy and say between the ages of 18 and 45 could turn up to a designated centre in each county and be administered the virus. If a quarter our population got the virus at once say over a weekend, then we as country immediately go into a strict lockdown for 20 days, when we come out of it hey presto we have achieved herd imunity in a controlled manner thus protecting the vulnerable people of our nation.
    People will say, its a crazy idea and there will be thousands of deaths and our hospitals will be overrun, i don't think so, I'd say the vast majority would have no symptoms and those that have symptoms will be mild. When the lockdown is over we as a country can then lift the restrictions and go about our normal business.
    With the path we are going now, most of those people are going to get it anyway over the coming months and they will unwittingly pass it on to vulnerable people leading to more deaths and the misery will continue.

The problem with that plan is that a percentage would end up in ICU. Just think of the nurse who appeared before the Oireachtas describing her coronavirus experience as a patient and the after effects she is sufferiing months later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Still no medium term plan. So if we have a great 4 weeks, reduce the spread massively, what happens? We open things up and get back to the same place? This is utterly unsustainable. Interesting to see how hospitalisations go over the next 2 weeks because 19 people in hospital doesn't justify measures like this.

Will also be interesting to see the levels of compliance

• Advertisement

Akabusi wrote: »

You are mental. Sorry. I thought similar and asked a friend who contracted it. (30s healthy and fit).
    He said you do not want to fuvcking get this. Not being able to breathe is not fun.

523422.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

You are mental. Sorry. I thought similar and asked a friend who contracted it. (30s healthy and fit).
    He said you do not want to fuvcking get this. Not being able to breathe is not fun.
    And this thread:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058105177

obi604 wrote: »
    In regard to gyms- does not make sense, If the max number of people that can exercise outdoors is 15. How can gyms have 50 or so indoors? Or Even a church 50 indoors.

Or am I missing something.

Gyms are gone to a max of 6 indoors and 15 outdoors

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭obi604

KrustyUCC wrote: »

The 6 indoors is specifically for classes as I understand it. Not the actual General gym.

He also knows come late 2022 he's back in office and can "fix" the FF mistakes and blame it all on them for the next election.

I didn't vote FF in the election but I cant see any scenario where all of this doesn't get brought up and they take a hammering, Leo blames it all on them for whatever happens in the next two years.

There were opinion polls published recently showing FG rating going up since FF came into government, so its already happening. Leo and FG will just be hoping that holds out for the next while and something like this does FG little harm in saying well look we tried to stop them

The Greens claimed the same in 2011 and they were wiped out in the GE that followed their pulling out of government then. What makes you think that anyone other than SF and the parish pump Independents would benefit from FG doing the same either now or in 2022?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

523422.jpg

The way we are going, you will end up getting it anyhow. BTW I did get it back in March and it was very mild.

I'm just hoping gyms with a cafe/vending machine can reopen as a restaurant. It's just baffling. It makes Boris Johnson look coherent with his stay at home, but go to work message months ago.
    We'll have Pilate's classes sneaking into churches for a quick session, once they bless themselves of course.

The pubs and restaurants issue, I understood they needed a definition and under licencing laws there's a distinction between a pub and a restaurant and it's down to a meal being served.

Are there any outdoor gyms in operation? I have yet to see one.

obi604 wrote: »
    The 6 indoors is specifically for classes as I understand it. Not the actual General gym.

OK misunderstood that so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

We are there already. Leo talked about moving up and down phases like it was like hitting a switch. You can't just reimpose restrictions like that on society. Politicians will not like doing it and people won't stand for it. We in all seriousness need another lockdown as our r number is nowhere near 1 and has not been for a long time.

Yes... and where is Cillian de Gascun recently?
    Is he on holidays ?
    I think not only are MM and SD out of their depth here , but also Glynn looked like a small boy lost on that podium.

We are indeed suffering from not only a change in political leadership , but also the authority that NPHET seemed to have under Tony Holohan .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement