Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

growleaves wrote: »
    Nineteenth-century judges who sentenced petty thieves to be transported to Australia acted with more probity than many figures of authority, and their supporters on this thread, now do.

Can I be the first to say it...Horse ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

hmmm wrote: »
    You could only say it is "less dangerous" if we have evidence of widespread spread with most people unaffected.

Instead our antibody testing is showing a relatively small rate of spread, thanks to the lockdowns and other efforts.

The reality is that 95% of the Irish population has not been exposed to the virus, and most of us would like to keep it that way.

They aren't testing t cells..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

polesheep wrote: »
    Then how do you explain an increase in cases with no corresponding increase in hospitalisations. And I'm not just referring to Ireland.
    Increased testing is catching younger people and those who are asymptomatic who are less likely to need hospitalisation.

At the beginning of this, we were mostly testing people who were sick enough to need a test.

The positivity rate is a good indicator as to how well we are doing in picking up cases. A low positivity rate means we are catching a lot of the cases which exist, a high positivity rate means we are probably missing a lot of cases.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Nineteenth-century judges who sentenced petty thieves to be transported to Australia acted with more probity than many figures of authority, and their supporters on this thread, now do.

Seeing as it is now the law to wear a mask in indoor spaces, there isn't really much argument to be had on the subject. Wear it or face a fine and possibly deadly disease, or somebody you know getting sick because of your pigheadedness.

If you can give me a legitimate reason to not wear one that isn't "muhhh freedommm" fair play to you, go argue with a Garda and see what he thinks.

I'll be in the corner injecting heroin for a laugh if you want to join me and share my syringe, seeing as viruses don't apply to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

1 new death RIP
    35 cases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

GooglePlus wrote: »
    I don't think it is painstaking, they've already noted thousands of mutations.

And they've worked out how those mutations affect the behaviour of the virus and its effects on the body? Great! Can you refer me to one of those papers please?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

s1ippy wrote: »
    Seeing as it is now the law to wear a mask in indoor spaces, there isn't really much argument to be had on the subject. Wear it or face a fine and possibly deadly disease, or somebody you know getting sick because of your pigheadedness.

If you can give me a legitimate reason to not wear one that isn't "muhhh freedommm" fair play to you, go argue with a Garda and see what he thinks.

I'll be in the corner injecting heroin for a laugh if you want to join me and share my syringe, seeing as viruses don't apply to you.

Law , Deadly disease

You should be a headline writer

:D

Of the cases notified today:

15 are men and 18 are women
    71% are under 45 years of age
    24 are confirmed to be associated with outbreaks or are close contacts of a confirmed case
    5 cases have been identified as community transmission
    6 are in Carlow, 5 in Clare, and the remaining 24 cases are in Cork, Donegal, Dublin, Kildare, Laois, Limerick, Meath, Offaly, Tipperary, Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

35 cases

Excellent figure for a Tuesday after the last week we've had

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

24 are confirmed to be associated with outbreaks or are close contacts of a confirmed case
    6 are in Carlow, 5 in Clare, and the remaining 24 cases are in Cork, Donegal, Dublin, Kildare, Laois, Limerick, Meath, Offaly, Tipperary, Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

People add news stories to the megathread without commentary all the time.

You choose to sulk at the implication that deporting, arresting or charging people with murder for not social distancing or wearing a mask is a bad thing. At the same time as people support this stuff they also want to ridicule the notion that there's anything authoritarian about it.

This is what can happen during wars and natural disasters , there is a new norm and certain liberties are lost until the crisis abates. This is a very slow moving natural disaster , so more extreme long term measures are needed until people cop the f**k on and realise the virus has no ideology and doesn’t respect democracy.

People taking this “freedom” approach are working backwards. They are looking at the restrictions as a threat to liberty instead of looking at why these restrictions are being imposed and seeing that they are needed because a virus doesn’t care if your political leanings, it infects you or it doesn’t based on your behaviour. Western democracy’s have suffered badly , a lot because of our Hubris (won’t come here), our behaviors (down with masks and that sort of stuff) and our fixation with our non essential luxuries (will somebody please think about the pubs).

Wearing a mask is not a huge sacrifice if it helps reduce the impact of the virus (it clearly does) but some people just do not want to understand this or maybe they can’t grasp the variables of this crisis or maybe they just can’t have their beliefs challenged. Maybe it’s partial denial (that there is an ongoing crisis unfolding) and maybe a bit of blissful ignorance (the less you know, the more you can belligerently complain about measures you don’t like).

I posted up a medical clip discussing how masks help on multiple levels That you chose you ignore. If you don’t understand why masks are helpful and important then you won’t understand why countries are taking such a strong stance against non compliance of wearing them.

hmmm wrote: »
    Increased testing is catching younger people and those who are asymptomatic who are less likely to need hospitalisation.

At the beginning of this, we were mostly testing people who were sick enough to need a test.

The positivity rate is a good indicator as to how well we are doing in picking up cases. A low positivity rate means we are catching a lot of the cases which exist, a high positivity rate means we are probably missing a lot of cases.

But are they bringing it home to granny?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/b9560-statement-from-the-national-public-health-emergency-team-tuesday-11-august/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

And so it begins...

Clear and obvious danger to society

Ya arrest them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Great figure thankfully but some positive tests left over for tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭blowitupref

One death and 35 new cases confirmed in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

35 cases

What about the other 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭rodders999

Early days yet but it looks very promising that they’ve manage to contain the meat plant outbreaks. Great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Excellent numbers. We may yet have some anomalies to tidy up the capture of last week's clusters, but this is great work.

I think people who were losing the plot and getting hysterical over 174 before the weekend would want to apply that wartime mantra of 'keep calm and carry on'. Spreading anxiety helps no one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Clare 406 1.5 +3
    Cork 1,585 5.9 +3
    Donegal 492 1.8 +2
    Dublin 12,624 47.2 +7
    Galway 501 1.9 +1
    Kerry 320 1.2 +2
    Kildare 1,864 7 +19
    Laois 341 1.3 +2
    Offaly 583 2.2 +9
    Wicklow 717 2.7 +1

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Great figure thankfully but some positive tests left over for tomorrow

About 20 odd isn't it if I remember the number.

Analysis of cases as of midnight Sunday 9th August - 26,767 cases (+56)

Healthcare Workers +9
    Clusters -2
    Cases associated with clusters +44

Age Range Affected
    0-4 +2
    5-14 +4
    15-24 +15
    25-34 +11
    35-44 +8
    45-54 +9
    55-64 +6
    65-74 +1
    75-84 No Change
    85+ No Change

Cases by County
    Clare +3
    Cork +3
    Donegal +2
    Dublin +7
    Galway +1
    Kerry +2
    Kildare +19
    Laois +2
    Limerick +7
    Offaly +9
    Wicklow +1

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭rodders999

Piehead wrote: »
    Could be 350+ cases today

Thoughts and prayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

polesheep wrote: »
    But are they bringing it home to granny?

How many young adults/teens are about their granny's the whole time?

GooglePlus wrote: »
    How many young adults/teens are about their granny's the whole time?

Lots and lots and lots according to those who favour restrictions for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

rodders999 wrote: »
    Early days yet but it looks very promising that they’ve manage to contain the meat plant outbreaks. Great news.
    Hopefully they have, but it's too early to relax. There's a lag between infection and when you become symptomatic and look to get tested, and it's probably too early to start seeing any potential community transmission just yet. If the figures stay reasonably low for the next week to 10 days we'll be more confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

What about the other 2?

Gender fluid?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

rodders999 wrote: »

Moreover, we now know that the LOK total for tomorrow will be 12 cases or fewer:

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/b9560-statement-from-the-national-public-health-emergency-team-tuesday-11-august/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Gender fluid?

It's actually delicious, I've had some.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement