Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

What exactly does Leo want?

It seems like he's pushing for an election.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Renjit wrote: »
    Both of you should include flout instead of flaunt. Unless, I am **** at word meanings :D

True. I'm not waving the rules provocatively around in front of you I guess. Not that I'd be flouting them either. Cant even blame the bloody spellchecker this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

So are the over 70s not allowed to go on staycations? Or to restaurants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Happy4all wrote: »

They can go wherever they want, the advice is to be careful and use their cop on basically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

They are. But only during the hours of 11.00 - 11.01 on Tuesday, if the sky is or isn't green.

The only change yesterday was the numbers attending sport was cut.

The rest of the changes aren't mandatory as far as I can see.

And therefore they will be ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Is Eamon Ryan still in the government?

Everyone looking smart about to deliver an important announcement and Mr Ryan is up there, no tie, collar open, ramping like a drunk loon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

They can go wherever they want, the advice is to be careful and use their cop on basically.

I had this vision of a bouncer on the door, asking them if they have any age ID and then making the walk of shame away, like the young ones trying to get into a pub/night club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭amandstu

What about cattle marts ,poney sales ?Are they affected by the reduced number limit indoors and out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭amandstu

I had this vision of a bouncer on the door, asking them if they have any age ID and then making the walk of shame away, like the young ones trying to get into a pub/night club

Did I read something about designated shopping times for older people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

17 in hospital as of 8am, reduction of 3 on last night. Majority of discharges occur on Wednesdays.

With so many assympthomatic cases this is the number we need to focus on. For weeks now I've been told hospitalisations will increase significantly but it is holding very flat.

There may be reasons but it shows everyone getting in over the last few weeks is basically immune. Immune means the virus exerts an immune response from your immune system, antibodies are produced and people get better without treatment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

There may be reasons but it shows everyone getting in over the last few weeks is basically immune. Immune means the virus exerts an immune response from your immune system, antibodies are produced and people get better without treatment
    If you watch the health briefings they've been saying that they are concerned that the cases we are currently seeing (largely younger people) will lead to the disease getting into more vulnerable groups in time. A factory full of 20 to 40 year olds is going to be fine for the most part, but these people all mix in the community, have parents, grandparents, sick relatives, nursing home relatives etc. What's worse is many of them will be asymptomatic, so completely unaware they are spreading it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

hmmm wrote: »
    If you watch the health briefings they've been saying that they are concerned that the cases we are currently seeing (largely younger people) will lead to the disease getting into more vulnerable groups in time. A factory full of 20 to 40 year olds is going to be fine for the most part, but these people all mix in the community, have parents, grandparents, sick relatives, nursing home relatives etc. What's worse is many of them will be asymptomatic, so completely unaware they are spreading it.

Agreed. But there is a narrative out there that we don't have immunity to this virus when 85% of the population(much higher in reality but using confirmed cases numbers) have such strong immunity they don't even require treatment in hospital to get better.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Everyone looking smart about to deliver an important announcement and Mr Ryan is up there, no tie, collar open, ramping like a drunk loon.

Doughal Maguire comes to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭seanb85

Agreed. But there is a narrative out there that we don't have immunity to this virus when 85% of the population have such strong immunity they don't even require treatment in hospital to get better.

If it got to a point where even 0.1% of our entire population required hospital treatment for this at the same time our health service would have already collapsed...

Agreed. But there is a narrative out there that we don't have immunity to this virus when 85% of the population have such strong immunity they don't even require treatment in hospital to get better.

Its not immunity. It's more likely a level of resistance due to either exposure to a similar coronavirus, or a well functioning immune system.

Anyone aware of any studies on the level of infection displayed in those who may relatively recently had one of the 4 types of Corona-viruses that cause 15% of common colds? Along the lines of Cow-pox being used to vaccinate for small pox in the early days of vaccination, and a live virus - vaccinia, which is a related to small pox, being used in the small pox vaccine, could we start deliberately infecting people with the coronvirus common cold to build resistance in the population while waiting for a vaccine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Agreed. But there is a narrative out there that we don't have immunity to this virus when 85% of the population(much higher in reality but using confirmed cases numbers) have such strong immunity they don't even require treatment in hospital to get better.

85% of the population being able to get it and not have to go to hospital isn't the problem. Even 1% of our population requiring potential hospital treatment means fifty thousand people, which would collapse our health system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Which is exactly what the majority have been doing anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Friend works in a pharmacy, had someone in this morning with their tracker app saying "you've been in close contact with a confirmed case" and was wondering what she should do.

Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Friend works in a pharmacy, had someone in this morning with their tracker app saying "you've been in close contact with a confirmed case" and was wondering what she should do.

Jesus.

Madness. Surely the app should be telling close contacts to stay put?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

What exactly does Leo want?

It seems like he's pushing for an election.

Well before Leo handed over to Micheal, FG were riding high in polls. Maybe he fears a current poll would be different. So perhaps he would like to remind/convince people that he handled the crisis better. Yet this ignores the Nursing home feck up happened on his watch. FG supporters will cite hindsight as being wonderful in a rapidly emerging pandemic, but this is not really true because we had warnings about what was happening in other countries with regard to their nursing homes. Leo and Simon, it could be argued, were better at communicating the message to the public, i will give them that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Jesus.

And the contact could have been days ago and they are wandering round due to the delay now in testing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I'm not going to comment on some of the more obnoxious posts that are hitting this thread almost faster than they can be read.

What I am going to post up is related to the elephant in the room that seems to be being carefully ignored by many of the people here that seem to think things can go back to normal any time soon.

Anyone listening to the excellent press conference that Nicola Sturgeon gives on a regular basis?

As a result of some inappropriate behaviour, they shut Aberdeen down, and said there were 20 cases as a result of one pub. Now, have a look at these figures, and try and tell me that Covid is not a problem.
    I can report today that according to the latest figures we have a total of 386 cases have been now been identified in Grampian since the 26th of July.

220 of these are associated with the cluster linked to Aberdeen pubs, and 1125 contacts have now been identified from those 220 cases.

I can confirm today that 13 cases which had previously been identified but not allocated to the cluster have now following further investigation been added because they are considered to be associated with that cluster.

So, 220 confirmed cases, and 1125 potential cases, all because of Pubs in Aberdeen.

Yes, it IS that simple, the figures mentioned yesterday made it clear that the highest number of clusters are in residential situations. They have also said that the number of contacts when tracing is way too high for comfort and safety. That is why things like sports have been cut down, they coded the comment, they made it clear that contacts before and after sports events were the worry, and they have now also "suggested" face coverings in private vehicles where more than one family is in the vehicle.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Jesus.

The app even tells you what you need to do... At least they had it installed I supose.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

schmoo2k wrote: »
    The app even tells you what you need to do... At least they had it installed I supose.

Have to say I get a little hop every week when it pops up. Hopefully I always see zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Renjit wrote: »

The Climate Change Emergency hasn’t gone away you know. I am expecting climate carnage by this time tomorrow. Big hammer blow for Cork. Destruction is almost guaranteed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

pc7 wrote: »
    Have to say I get a little hop every week when it pops up. Hopefully I always see zero.

What you see on a weekly basis is just a reminder that the app is active. If you were being notified of a direct contact issue, it is a different and more obvious pop up notification and is sent as and when required - not weekly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Just on the app if you only install in now it only will give you contacts from here on it I assume?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Just back from Spar. Got my essentials and a few bottles of west coast cooler to steady my nerves when the storm hits. Locking the cat flap tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Just on the app if you only install in now it only will give you contacts from here on it I assume?

Correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

pc7 wrote: »

Yeah, the weekly update always gives a fright that it's a flagging.

Ger Roe wrote: »
    What you see on a weekly basis is just a reminder that the app is active. If you were being notified of a direct contact issue, it is a different and more obvious pop up notification and is sent as and when required - not weekly.

No I know, it’s more just seeing The app notification at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

I'm not going to comment on some of the more obnoxious posts that are hitting this thread almost faster than they can be read.

What I am going to post up is related to the elephant in the room that seems to be being carefully ignored by many of the people here that seem to think things can go back to normal any time soon.

Anyone listening to the excellent press conference that Nicola Sturgeon gives on a regular basis?

As a result of some inappropriate behaviour, they shut Aberdeen down, and said there were 20 cases as a result of one pub. Now, have a look at these figures, and try and tell me that Covid is not a problem.

So, 220 confirmed cases, and 1125 potential cases, all because of Pubs in Aberdeen.

Yes, it IS that simple, the figures mentioned yesterday made it clear that the highest number of clusters are in residential situations. They have also said that the number of contacts when tracing is way too high for comfort and safety. That is why things like sports have been cut down, they coded the comment, they made it clear that contacts before and after sports events were the worry, and they have now also "suggested" face coverings in private vehicles where more than one family is in the vehicle.

Conveniently you exclude hospitalisations and deaths. It is utterly pointless to discuss new cases in a vacuum. Your post is nothing short of ignorance when you attempt to argue for continued restrictions on the grounds you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

So could we all set up as Latvian contractors. That would be great. Then we wouldn't have to pay tax here. I wonder what would happen to the schools and hospitals.

It's a loop hole around minimum wage and taxes. The fact is that the tax should be payed where the money is earned. In a few years time we'll have 72 kids to a class and one ventilator if we all adopt that model.

Same goes for the multinationals who don't pay any tax.

I agree but its a decision of the employee to do it. Its not always the big bad companies fault

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Prof Nolan has said that while community transmission has increased, “it is not true that over half of the cases reported recently come from community transmission” like the daily press releases suggest.
    https://www.joe.ie/news/nphet-fear-covid-19-cases-could-rise-to-unsustainable-level-702089

Paddygreen wrote: »
    Just back from Spar. Got my essentials and a few bottles of west coast cooler to steady my nerves when the storm hits. Locking the cat flap tonight.

Its all an overreaction, there have been no deaths from storms in the last 3 months, therefore we can confidently state that this one wont kill anyone. Just in case all the over 70's should stay inside while everyone else can have a beach party in Kinsale, as we all know storms only kill older people

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Works on Bluetooth signal strength RSSI to roughly calculate the distance and tracks record of time. Cannot tell you retrospectively unless you had the app installed as well the other person who is infected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Well said.

Honestly it's so demeaning to relegate people to underprivileged abused migrants. These lads and girls are the equivalent of the Irish who go and work in New York in pubs and restaurants. Hours are ****e and conditions not great but they make good money and have a life experience. It's so arrogant for a country like Ireland to treat these people from a fellow EU country as if they're de facto surpressed second class citizens. Its a short hop on a flight to Latvia. They come here to make some dosh, it's not depressing. It's amazing for them, ****e work but they can then afford to pay for studies or buy a house or drive around Riga in a brand new whip. I get that often it comes from a good place but it unsettles me that there seems to be a view that these peopl exist purely as "migrant workers" and have no other option. Migration across EU in a world of low cost travel has changed. These people are here on their own terms and more power to them. If I was them I'd want to enjoy the time a bit more but we have Irish who do similar, who go away and work like crazy for a few years and come back with a heap of cash.

I agree.

https://twitter.com/Jenni4Canesten/status/1296012523507003392?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

78 positive tests last 24hrs from 5,685 tests

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Seems like they're doing fewer tests?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Are they missing a trick not testing for antibodies, I'm guessing the test only picks it up in day 3 to 14. It's possible a large amount of those could have had it.

I agree but its a decision of the employee to do it. Its not always the big bad companies fault

Are you for real? You do realise there are wage disparities and different standards of living, different minimum wage and different laws in different countries within the EU.

It's called exploitation.

You can get someone from Somalia who is an international consultant and get them picking strawberries for 1 euro an hour.

He's winning but tax revenue is down. The wages (pitiful though they are) go out of the country) and the international contract gets paid 10X what he'd get paid at home.

So yes, it is the big bad fvcking companies fault. Ask anyone from Kildare, offaly or Laois if you don't believe me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Zero confidence in Martin or Donnelly.

Bring back Leo and Harris. People listened to them, when they spoke you believed what they said.

These two clowns haven't a clue. Martin has a chip on his shoulder and is way too emotional, Donnelly is like a car salesman.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Conveniently you exclude hospitalisations and deaths. It is utterly pointless to discuss new cases in a vacuum. Your post is nothing short of ignorance when you attempt to argue for continued restrictions on the grounds you have.

No, I didn't conveniently exclude them, as a direct result of the weeny waving that's been going on in this thread for the last few days about who has the right figures, I have ignored them completely. At this stage of effectively the second wave, hospital figures and deaths are irrelevant, they are a reflection of what was happening with cases 3 or 4 weeks ago.

The lockdown is to prevent spread, as that is the precursor to hospital admissions, there is a timescale to this virus that means cases don't translate immediately into hospital admissions.

I am delighted that hospitalisations and deaths have been reduced, that was the objective of the original lock down, it worked, and it prevented the (flawed) health service here from being completely overwhelmed by the numbers of cases that were projected.

As to the validity of the projections, I can't comment on if they are good, bad or complete garbage, as that's not my area of expertise.

What I am VERY interested in is making sure that as few people as possible die as a result of getting Covid, and if that means that "optional" activity like pubs, sports, and other areas of activity that are not essential to life have to be remain shut down or further curtailed to restrict the spread of this evil pandemic, so be it.

If you see that as ignorance, carry on with your delusion, there's unfortunately plenty more of you with that blinkered myopic vision.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,803 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Jesus.
    I think we need Claire Byrne on the case, a refresher course on self isolation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

eagle eye wrote: »
    Our government are amazing. Clearly they are of the opinion that we are all stupid. Just keeping the head down saying nothing about any changes in the spread of covid-19 and our schools reopening is still full steam ahead. Released stuff on Friday evening about it so they didn't have to face questions about it and give people the whole weekend to think about the questions asked.
    We badly need new younger politicians in a new party to get rid of this deadwood.

Simon Harris, Eoghan Murphy, Leo Varadkar, Simon Coveney, Turncoat Donnelly, Darragh O Brien, Helen McEntee, Regina Doherty, Paschal O Donoghue - all under 50 are high ranking current or ex Government spoofers.
    The old saying about a politician applies - would you buy a used car............

I think that age is not the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

No, I didn't conveniently exclude them, as a direct result of the weeny waving that's been going on in this thread for the last few days about who has the right figures, I have ignored them completely. At this stage of effectively the second wave, hospital figures and deaths are irrelevant, they are a reflection of what was happening with cases 3 or 4 weeks ago.

The lockdown is to prevent spread, as that is the precursor to hospital admissions, there is a timescale to this virus that means cases don't translate immediately into hospital admissions.

I am delighted that hospitalisations and deaths have been reduced, that was the objective of the original lock down, it worked, and it prevented the (flawed) health service here from being completely overwhelmed by the numbers of cases that were projected.

As to the validity of the projections, I can't comment on if they are good, bad or complete garbage, as that's not my area of expertise.

What I am VERY interested in is making sure that as few people as possible die as a result of getting Covid, and if that means that "optional" activity like pubs, sports, and other areas of activity that are not essential to life have to be remain shut down or further curtailed to restrict the spread of this evil pandemic, so be it.

If you see that as ignorance, carry on with your delusion, there's unfortunately plenty more of you with that blinkered myopic vision.

Any comment on 30,000 that were predicted to die by October in the original predictions.

Paddygreen wrote: »
    Had a word with an old couple just now in Spar. Politely told them to go home as they were not shopping at their designated time as per the new rules laid out by our experts. It was very satisfying watching them put down their basket and walk away after my chat with them. We are all in it together guys and the rules are the rules so it’s our duty as good citizens to set each other on the right path.

I heard that if you are quick enough you can actually dodge the virus in a supermarket. Should tell them that next time. We have to be optimistic about the future.
    Of course there his no evidence of this but equally there is no evidence you can't so like you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

Eod100 wrote: »
    I'm no FF fan (or FG) but if FG are playing politics with this, they're acting the maggot. They're in government together. Do all the politicing in the world in advance of next election but need a stable government with a coherent message.

Trying to portray FF as the baddies when Cabinet agreed is daft.

Why does everyone think it's FG doing the leaking?
    My money is on Eamon "organic butter wouldn't melt in my mouth' Ryan.
    He remembers how FF shafted the Greens the last time they were in power together and he's been waiting patiently in the long grass ever since.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement