Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I think we need Claire Byrne on the case, a refresher course on self isolation

She's still sick, zappeed of energy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

niallo27 wrote: »
    Any comment on 30,000 that were predicted to die by October in the original predictions.

wind up. That was if there were no restrictions like closing schools or you know lockdown? Those measures had the desired effect in keeping it under control.

Don't let that stop you saying "they were wrong in their predictions"

A very good message from a real man on the street.

https://twitter.com/BadCOVID19Takes/status/1293204891717046273?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭seanb85

Any comment on 30,000 that were predicted to die by October in the original predictions.

1200 - 1800 have died as a result of maybe 5% of the population being infected. If 80% were to be infected this would translate to 20,000 to 30,000 deaths (in a functional health service).

Also the 5% figure for possible infections can't be taken as fact. The deaths however can.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

theballz wrote: »
    Zero confidence in Martin or Donnelly.

Bring back Leo and Harris. People listened to them, when they spoke you believed what they said.

These two clowns haven't a clue. Martin has a chip on his shoulder and is way too emotional, Donnelly is like a car salesman.

The election result says people dont listen or believe them.

There actions at the beginning are why where we are now

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

Hurrache wrote: »
    Yeah, the weekly update always gives a fright that it's a flagging.

Is the app meant to send a weekly notification? If so I don’t think mine is working properly as I have never received any weekly report?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

theballz wrote: »
    Zero confidence in Martin or Donnelly.

Bring back Leo and Harris. People listened to them, when they spoke you believed what they said.

These two clowns haven't a clue. Martin has a chip on his shoulder and is way too emotional, Donnelly is like a car salesman.

I'd take Harris back, Leo can do one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Seems like they're doing fewer tests?
    There has been very minor increase in demand, possibly 200/300 new tests per day compared to a few weeks ago. There's simply not the demand there to do more than 6k a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭plodder

seanb85 wrote: »
    If it got to a point where even 0.1% of our entire population required hospital treatment for this at the same time our health service would have already collapsed...
    That would be 5,000 people in hospital. I don't know what the current number is, as hpsc.ie doesn't seem to publish any useful current statistics, but according to worldometer there are 8 serious/critical cases, which I guess means hospitalised.

I totally get that we want to slow the spread and the recent increase is somewhat alarming. But, we still have enormous scope to "live with it" without overwhelming the hospital system, it seems to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

The election result says people dont listen or believe them.

There actions at the beginning are why where we are now

The election happened before this mess and I hate to think what state we would be in with Mary Lou and Michelle O'Neill running the show at the moment (if we listened to the electorate) - they ran a mile when this all kicked off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

She's still sick, zappeed of energy.

Nothing to do with getting older, working the whole time and punching out a few kids in the space of 2 or 3 years.

Nothing at all

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Any comment on the 770,000 that have died worldwide?

As I think I already said, good bad or complete garbage, I don't know, and I don't need to know. All I need to know is that everyone is doing everything they can to minimise the increase in deaths that are happening as a result of this virus, and given that this is the most complex and severe pandemic to hit the world in hundreds of years, we don't have clear routes on how to defeat it, or how to respond to it.

It could well be that in a couple of years time, when everyone can look back with 20/20 hindsight, cold analysis may well indicate that some of the decisions made at the time were wrong, but I'd rather that decisions were made in the light of the best information available at the time, and by the people with the training and background in the medical field.

Doing nothing is not an option, unless we want to see the massive spike in numbers that are starting to occur in other places.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Is the app meant to send a weekly notification? If so I don’t think mine is working properly as I have never received any weekly report?

Seems like it does, we've had them on both Android and iOS phones here. Do you have notification permissions granted to the app?

One thing I'm surprised about is the low number of checks done, but I guess that's a reflection of the amount of people I'm in contact with long enough.

plodder wrote: »
    That would be 5,000 people in hospital. I don't know what the current number is, as hpsc.ie doesn't seem to publish any useful current statistics, but according to worldometer there are 8 serious/critical cases, which I guess means hospitalised.

I totally get that we want to slow the spread and the recent increase is somewhat alarming. But, we still have enormous scope to "live with it" without overwhelming the hospital system, it seems to me.

Our health system in the last few days has had about 400 spare beds across the entire public system. We have about 15,000 beds total. 5,000 hospitalisations at the same time would collapse the system, not to mention that thousands more health workers would inevitably become infected and would not be able to work.

We are in a worse position than many other countries in Europe because of how poor our health service is in normal times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

josip wrote: »
    Why does everyone think it's FG doing the leaking?
    My money is on Eamon "organic butter wouldn't melt in my mouth' Ryan.
    He remembers how FF shafted the Greens the last time they were in power together and he's been waiting patiently in the long grass ever since.

It's 100% FG and Leo.

He's been throwing shade since MM got the gig with some of his quotes and even his body language, when it was announced pubs weren't opening on the 10th of August, smacked of, "Uhhh I know guys, it's awful but, there's nothing I can do"

Eamon Ryan leaking it :D He's just happy to be there. He's like the guy you bring on a roadtrip so you and your other mate can rip the piss out of to pass the time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

1200 - 1800 have died as a result of maybe 5% of the population being infected. If 80% were to be infected this would translate to 20,000 to 30,000 deaths (in a functional health service).

Also the 5% figure for possible infections can't be taken as fact. The deaths however can.

The deaths can't be taken as fact! Many of them happened to have covid at time of death but didn't die because of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Any comment on the 770,000 that have died worldwide?

As I think I already said, good bad or complete garbage, I don't know, and I don't need to know. All I need to know is that everyone is doing everything they can to minimise the increase in deaths that are happening as a result of this virus, and given that this is the most complex and severe pandemic to hit the world in hundreds of years, we don't have clear routes on how to defeat it, or how to respond to it.

It could well be that in a couple of years time, when everyone can look back with 20/20 hindsight, cold analysis may well indicate that some of the decisions made at the time were wrong, but I'd rather that decisions were made in the light of the best information available at the time, and by the people with the training and background in the medical field.

Doing nothing is not an option, unless we want to see the massive spike in numbers that are starting to occur in other places.

The predicted deaths were absolutely farcical and have resulted in huge damage to people worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

78 positive tests last 24hrs from 5,685 tests

So my count the past 7 days:
    691 Positive Tests
    671 New cases announced (excluding the new cases today)
    So any figure over 20 just wont make sense, unless they are not using the same 24hr period (should be up until midnight each day for both positive tests and cases announced)

I wonder if that's where the discrepancy is creeping in?
    Some figures we're getting could could be either 36hr time frame, followed by 12hr time frame?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Queried

Has anyone here bought a reusable mask with a clear panel for wearing for the hearing impaired? I have been looking online but it's hard to find a supplier who isn't experiencing significant delays or is based in the US or further afield.

US2 wrote: »
    The deaths can't be taken as fact! Many of them happened to have covid at time of death but didn't die because of it.

Care to explain all of the Excess deaths?

523500.jpeg

https://twitter.com/BadCOVID19Takes/status/1295859099637342208?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

Hurrache wrote: »
    Seems like it does, we've had them on both Android and iOS phones here. Do you have notification permissions granted to the app?

One thing I'm surprised about is the low number of checks done, but I guess that's a reflection of the amount of people I'm in contact with long enough.

Just checked my settings there on iOS and notifications allowed for the app but I have never had a weekly report- don’t want to delete it and reinstall it in case it deletes any of my contacts prior to deleting it
    It says contact tracing is active so I’m presuming I’d still get an alert if I was identified as a close contact?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

So, reading up on what happened yesterday.... NPHET gave a list of strong recommendations and the Government watered them down. Sh*t. This mantra of "scientists recommend and Government decide" is now a fig leaf for ignoring the best advice available, for political reasons.
    We are in trouble now. Inexcusable to appoint a team of experts on this critical health issue and then prevaricate on following their strong recommendations.

Message to Govt - stop the prevarication, follow the advice (and wash your hands).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Queried wrote: »
    Has anyone here bought a reusable mask with a clear panel for wearing for the hearing impaired? I have been looking online but it's hard to find a supplier who isn't experiencing significant delays or is based in the US or further afield.

Have 2 ordered from US will arrive mid September

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Queried

khalessi wrote: »
    Have 2 ordered from US will arrive mid September

Yeah earliest I can find is around that time too, thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

So, reading up on what happened yesterday.... NPHET gave a list of strong recommendations and the Government watered them down. Sh*t. This mantra of "scientists recommend and Government decide" is now a fig leaf for ignoring the best advice available, for political reasons.
    We are in trouble now. Inexcusable to appoint a team of experts on this critical health issue and then prevaricate on following their strong recommendations.

Message to Govt - stop the prevarication, follow the advice (and wash your hands).

I doubt the advice would be popular, sounds basically just another lockdown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Just checked my settings there on iOS and notifications allowed for the app but I have never had a weekly report- don’t want to delete it and reinstall it in case it deletes any of my contacts prior to deleting it
    It says contact tracing is active so I’m presuming I’d still get an alert if I was identified as a close contact?
    I’m iOS too. I’ve everything enabled and it’s the first I’ve heard of a weekly report

Here you go:
    https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

Official data hub and far more reliable than worldometers

Our health system in the last few days has had about 400 spare beds across the entire public system. We have about 15,000 beds total. 5,000 hospitalisations at the same time would collapse the system, not to mention that thousands more health workers would inevitably become infected and would not be able to work.

We are in a worse position than many other countries in Europe because of how poor our health service is in normal times.
    Perhaps, but you just plucked that figure out of the air. I don't see how it's likely that we would go from 8 to 5,000 in such a short space of time without being able to react. Nobody is (seriously) suggesting that we just let the virus rip through the community. Even Sweden isn't doing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

There is a balance. A dermatologists will tell you never go in the sun, 0 skin cancer, they've done their job. Then you have the knock-on problems with lack of Vitamin D.

It's not always in the govts. or societies best interest to follow the experts advice - said experts were saying masks weren't necessary, then they changed their mind, the science didn't change in the intervening period, but society wanted masks. Experts, like any one, have bias and need challenging.

Edit; and it's in NPHETS interest to get to 0 covid. That's essentially their mandate. Why wouldn't they call for total lockdown?

Where does the idea that 5,000 people would end up in hospital at the same time come from? For that to happen, based on current data, you would need approx 125,000 cases per week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

I’m iOS too. I’ve everything enabled and it’s the first I’ve heard of a weekly report

Same - my wife gets them weekly too, but not me. They're not from the tracking app, they're from Covid notifications within the operating system itself.

It says something along the lines of "Your phone detected 0 exposures this week". She did get one notification saying "..detected 1 exposure.." but it needs multiple keys from a single device to make her a close contact. She may have just briefly walked by someone in the park, etc. Not sure why they send it.

If you are in actual close contact, you'll see a notification from the Covid app itself that looks like this:

Lockscreen:
    homescreen_cc_alert.jpg

In App:
    app_cc_alert.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

MOR316 wrote: »

Eamon Ryan leaking it :D He's just happy to be there. He's like the guy you bring on a roadtrip so you and your other mate can rip the piss out of to pass the time

Ha Eamon Ryan is Will from the Inbetweeners :pac:

Also interesting to pit Peru (hard lockdown) and Brazil (less hard), and graph it with Italy (hard lockdown) Sweden (voluntary, less harsh, "open"). There appears to be reporting issues in Peru, with the sharp upticks, but even still, you'd expect significant differences in locked down vs open societies.

Why do the curves follow each other so closely? There seems to be a seasonal aspect to this. Ok, it doesn't just go away in the summer and come back in winter, but there are questions to be asked in terms of how much of an impact a lockdown is having.
    Nice comparison with one of the least hit countries in Europe. But I'm not talking numbers, I'm looking at the progress of the epidemic and how it's similar in shape in different latitudes, no matter what action is taken.

So why is Sweden coming down at all? Why do most European countries peak in ~April and follow a trend down, Denmark included? Peru locked down at a similar time and didn't see the same shaped curve, they see the same as Brazil.

Sorry I was referring to the part where you said lockdown vs no lockdown. Italy didn't know what it was dealing with and as the first country to have an uncontrolled outbreak in Europe it isn't a valid country to make a comparison regarding lockdown vs no lockdown.

Sweden didn't lockdown. Denmark did. There was a big difference in deaths. Saying Denmark wasn't hit as hard is not valid either because they locked down and lessened the impact.

They share similar latitudes also. People saying it's not seasonal are discounting the fact respiratory virus' peak in winter at northern latitudes. This is sufficiently contagious that it is not dampened to zero like flu but equally it's probably much more proficient in winter. That's speculation, we haven't been through winter with this but we are about to find out. Hopefully the mitigation in place his sufficient to halt the spread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There are people doing that... businesses, lonely fûckers, money people, there are lots of people who have no issue with the virus ripping through people, families, communities as long as they can make money and the business they set up with their daddy and brother in 1983 is intact, surviving, profitable and healthy... PEOPLE are not healthy ? well welcome to Ireland, they don’t care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I'm not a fan of the government and they have made mess of this but of course the Government didn't do exactly what recommended,

You realise to they have a Country to run ,NPHET don't take into account any social or economic problems that might a rise they just tell you what's best to stop the spread of the virus,

Wolf359f wrote: »
    So my count the past 7 days:
    691 Positive Tests
    671 New cases announced (excluding the new cases today)
    So any figure over 20 just wont make sense, unless they are not using the same 24hr period (should be up until midnight each day for both positive tests and cases announced)

I wonder if that's where the discrepancy is creeping in?
    Some figures we're getting could could be either 36hr time frame, followed by 12hr time frame?
    Or there's private testing involved, which is just ludicrous imo

Here you go:
    https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

Official data hub and far more reliable than worldometers
    Great site. Strange that it doesn't seem to be linked (obviously) from the government covid19 page or hpsc.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,683 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

On android and never had a notification either, all permissions enabled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I feel I cough more wearing a mask but needs most

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

78 positive tests last 24hrs from 5,685 tests
    Works out as no more than 58 cases should be reported today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I feel I cough more wearing a mask but needs most

Is it a reusable one? Might be the detergent if you've been washing it in the machine.

It's an interesting point. They are saying they have to balance the economy with public health.

I get that but you don't have an economy when you don't do public health. It turns out people don't want to contract it so the economy grinds to a halt while people who can minimise their risk stay at home.

Only solution is vaccine, effective treatment or go for zero tolerance with quarantine and mandatory testing.

We are told but we are an island and it's actually part of being Irish to travel. Have no idea what that means. Every country in the world travels. Most far more than us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭spookwoman

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is their plants not shut down?

Says it all in the article

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    On android and never had a notification either, all permissions enabled
    Weekly exposure notifications are an iOS feature.

Great site. Strange that it doesn't seem to be linked (obviously) from the government covid19 page or hpsc.ie

Now everyone can be a mini ACE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Wearing a mask, my face gets a bit warmer..... so say if I’m looking in a shop window or at the park with nobody around I’ll take it down for 30 secs or a minute, grab a drink... back on again and go... I wash and sterilize the reusable masks every night... put an ice pack on it for 15 before wearing so it’s cold, that means most days it never really gets too hot.... and I have zero opportunity to be snotting onto my keyboard in the evening ... “ ohhh I can’t wear a mask, boo boo, ohh my mental heath, ohh I can’t breathe, ohh I get depressed if somebody has a nicer mask”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭landofthetree

https://mobile.twitter.com/NewstalkFM/status/1296094959939059717

"The CDC have just said that there's no evidence now that you can get reinfected" - Prof
    @laoneill111
    gives us the latest Covid news, on tomorrow's
    @PatKennyNT
    #covid19

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Or there's private testing involved, which is just ludicrous imo

True, but you would expect it to be still a positive test/ case notified to them.
    Shame no journalist can ask. Just not George Lee, the pandemic be over by the time someone could explain the numbers to him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement