Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

spookwoman wrote: »

Christ, makes ya wonder are they going for herd immunity in the factories?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭plodder

Weekly exposure notifications are an iOS feature.
    Android gives a weekly notification, but it just says that the service is switched on. No other info, and it's easy to miss as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

I get them on Android

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I get them on Android

Same. Always spooks me initially!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's on Android too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Strumms wrote: »
    Wearing a mask, my face gets a bit warmer..... so say if I’m looking in a shop window or at the park with nobody around I’ll take it down for 30 secs or a minute, grab a drink... back on again and go... I wash and sterilize the reusable masks every night... put an ice pack on it for 15 before wearing so it’s cold, that means most days it never really gets too hot.... and I have zero opportunity to be snotting onto my keyboard in the evening ... “ ohhh I can’t wear a mask, boo boo, ohh my mental heath, ohh I can’t breathe, ohh I get depressed if somebody has a nicer mask”

You seem like a really swell person. Keep up the smug posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

It's an interesting point. They are saying they have to balance the economy with public health.

I get that but you don't have an economy when you don't do public health. It turns out people don't want to contract it so the economy grinds to a halt while people who can minimise their risk stay at home.

Only solution is vaccine, effective treatment or go for zero tolerance with quarantine and mandatory testing.

We are told but we are an island and it's actually part of being Irish to travel. Have no idea what that means. Every country in the world travels. Most far more than us.

Zero tolerance quarantine and mandatory testing leaves you isolated forever (0 global covid will never happen), and doesn't stop the potential for it to re-emerge, see New Zealand.

The other solution, of course, is to decide as a society are we prepared to tolerate the illness to return to a more humane way of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

ShyMets wrote: »
    You seem like a really swell person. Keep up the smug posts

I’ll struggle for time in between admiring your amazing contributions to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/varadkar-and-martin-clash-at-cabinet-as-incoherent-new-restrictions-criticised-1.4333516

"Double, double, toil and trouble; Fire burn, and cauldron bubble" [Macbeth]
    The rainbow is gone all cloudy Mommy. Makes interesting reading eh? Not to say the full 11pg NPHET letter!! Who is actually ruling who at this stage. Three ego's do not go into one. Or should that be 2.5 given gormless green Ryan's on board. He's like the black sheep of the family. Always in the photos but never at the party.

So amidst all the rampant upsurge in fear and sensationlist headlines the HSE reported that as of yesterday there were 20 confirmed Covid case in hospitals in Ireland with 7 of those being in ICU. Meanwhile the WHO said 80% of all Covid case globally are "mild" or asymptomatic. Still the Govt. applies the restriction handbrake once more along with the promise of extra Garda powers. However, the food pubs can half an extra half an hour. 11.30pm for the kids. Just to stop them all going to the house parties. Good to know that the average Irish person can sip away at their pint in peace. It would not be like us at all to run to the bar and order a couple of extra pints in those extra 30 minutes.... [Cue: stampede!]

"Oooh won't someone think of the children!". Its all for the schools they say. Its the priority. We have decided that indoor gathering number be slashed and restricted but it is perfectly safe to throw almost 1 million ppl [pupils + staff] of differing households into small rooms for 7 hours a day, 5 days a week. Sure what could go wrong........????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Zero tolerance quarantine and mandatory testing leaves you isolated forever (0 global covid will never happen), and doesn't stop the potential for it to re-emerge, see New Zealand.

The other solution, of course, is to decide as a society are we prepared to tolerate the illness to return to a more humane way of life.

I'm not sure the word humane, means I'll have my fun and f*ck the weak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭feelings

Yep in and about that figure. I am expecting about 45-55 today.
    Works out as no more than 58 cases should be reported today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I’ll struggle for time in between admiring your amazing contributions to this thread.

Just trying to add a little levity. No offense meant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,549 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

https://mobile.twitter.com/NewstalkFM/status/1296094959939059717

"The CDC have just said that there's no evidence now that you can get reinfected" - Prof
    @laoneill111
    gives us the latest Covid news, on tomorrow's
    @PatKennyNT
    #covid19

Then they should offer deliberate infection to healthy people who want it, I'd gladly take my 99% plus chances with it then going around in this current state of fear. 2+ weeks safely isolated and then enjoy myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Then they should offer deliberate infection to healthy people who want it, I'd gladly take my 99% plus chances with it then going around in this current state of fear. 2+ weeks safely isolated and then enjoy myself.

I wouldn't rely on that yet.... a quick check on recent CDC releases on the issue results in confusion, with various announcements contradicting each other. Just google for CDC reinfection and see what comes up.

I'm not sure the word humane, means I'll have my fun and f*ck the weak.

The alternative view could be that the entire globe is restricted forever, no sense of what it means to be human, to accommodate protecting a very small minority. It's not empathetic, but neither is restricting everyone either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Mammy Martin is driving the bus right over the cliff edge.

Won’t be long till we have school children on ventilators and another lock down because of this gross negligence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

wadacrack wrote: »

God, that's not good at all. These players would have been tested because of team sports and perhaps someone close to them being a positive. These players would have been asymptomatic and now some of them are displaying lesions on their lungs. That really isn't good.

Are other people who were positive and asymptomatic getting xrays done to establish if there's anything on their lungs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Advertisement

owlbethere wrote: »
    God, that's not good at all. These players would have been tested because of team sports and perhaps someone close to them being a positive. These players would have been asymptomatic and now some of them are displaying lesions on their lungs. That really isn't good.

Are other people who were positive and asymptomatic getting xrays done to establish if there's anything on their lungs?

And would be interesting to know if those players had the lesions before COVID too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Won’t be long till we have school children on ventilators and another lock down because of this gross negligence.

Besides hyperbole and an anti MM jibe what is this supposed to mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

ohh I get depressed if somebody has a nicer mask”

I don't get depressed, but I sometimes do get an occasional twinge of mask envy! One of my pals has a superb and ridiculously stylish selection. I am a mere pleb in the blue medical things - but I find them lighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

And would be interesting to know if those players had the lesions before COVID too.

Indeed it is a cause for concern.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/lung-cancer/expert-answers/lung-nodules/faq-20058445

More questions and analysis needed before a conclusive position but worrying.

You should be more worried about the flu for kids.

Overall low COVID-19 burden in kids
    "We can be cautiously encouraged by the hospital outcomes for patients in this series, with an overall ICU mortality at the end of our follow-up period of less than 5% compared with published mortalities of 50% to 62% in adults admitted to the ICU," the authors wrote.

They also said that the COVID-19 burden in children is low compared with that of seasonal flu, with the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reporting 8 deaths in children 14 years or younger from COVID-19 and 169 flu-related deaths in that age-group during the 2019-20 season.

"Thus, up to this time of the pandemic in North America, children continue to face a far greater risk of critical illness from influenza than from COVID-19, pointing to the imperative for ongoing preventive pediatric health maintenance during this time," the authors said.

They noted that, given increasing transmission of the virus across North America, extending sampling going forward will likely identify a higher prevalence of hospitalization in children with COVID-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

Besides hyperbole and an anti MM jibe what is this supposed to mean?

Our current tripartite leader is making a priority of the schools returning his big contribution to the ongoing pandemic. Smacks of egomania to me. Not at all like someone from the People's Republic!

Still can't wait for Super-Green-man Eamonn Ryan to finally wake up and save us all from this never ending groundhog existence :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Or there's private testing involved, which is just ludicrous imo

Why is it ludicrous in your opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Gruffalox wrote: »
    I don't get depressed, but I sometimes do get an occasional twinge of mask envy! One of my pals has a superb and ridiculously stylish selection. I am a mere pleb in the blue medical things - but I find them lighter.

https://i.redd.it/2slpuepvhft41.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Why is it ludicrous in your opinion?
    The fact that the HSE can't do more than 6k tests a day for an entire week? Do you think that's acceptable?
    100k a week, yeah right. Complete spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The predicted deaths were absolutely farcical and have resulted in huge damage to people worldwide.

The predicted death figures were based on what would happen if no countermeasures were put in place or no actions taken to prevent the spread of the virus.

They didn't happen because action was taken and countermeasures were put in place.

How do some people still not get this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

Wearing a mask, my face gets a bit warmer..... so say if I’m looking in a shop window or at the park with nobody around I’ll take it down for 30 secs or a minute, grab a drink... back on again and go... I wash and sterilize the reusable masks every night... put an ice pack on it for 15 before wearing so it’s cold, that means most days it never really gets too hot.... and I have zero opportunity to be snotting onto my keyboard in the evening ... “ ohhh I can’t wear a mask, boo boo, ohh my mental heath, ohh I can’t breathe, ohh I get depressed if somebody has a nicer mask”

I read that in Patrick Bateman's voice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

owlbethere wrote: »

Players plural in one squad of 25-30?:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Arghus wrote: »
    The predicted death figures were based on what would happen if no countermeasures were put in place or no actions taken to prevent the spread of the virus.

They didn't happen because action was taken and countermeasures were put in place.

You're a FG/FF politicians wet dream.

https://www.aier.org/article/imperial-college-model-applied-to-sweden-yields-preposterous-results/

Because they looked at Sweden and saw it wasn't true.

Not to mention the months that countries have been open since the peak with no major death tolls.

Not to mention the months that countries have been open since the peak with no major death tolls.

Also;

"STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Sweden’s decision to keep schools open during the pandemic resulted in no higher rate of infection among its schoolchildren than in neighbouring Finland, where schools did temporarily close, their public health agencies said in a joint report."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

seanb85 wrote: »
    Is it a reusable one? Might be the detergent if you've been washing it in the machine.

Yes reuseable I got a few and am handwashing daily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Yeah I’d say it’s unlikely that they would be able to reach that level of aerobic performance with lesions on their lungs.

I don’t know enough about them to say. Why did they postpone game if they had them and it made no difference. One to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

So outdoor theatre can continue with 200 but 50 people can't go to a football match. More nonsense but no surprise

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1296111355288838145?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That's nearly 5 months out of date. That was generally rubbished everywhere at the time anyway. What exactly has this got to do with FF/FG and nocturnal emissions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

So outdoor theatre can continue but 50 people can't go to a football match. More nonsense but no surprise

They claimed it's because they're "controlled environments".
    I was at a junior hurling game at a divisional venue/stadium last night, fully ticketed, they watch you washing your hands when you're walking in, and they come around and make sure you're distanced. How is that not controlled?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

They claimed it's because they're "controlled environments".
    I was at a junior hurling game at a divisional venue/stadium last night, fully ticketed, they watch you washing your hands when you're walking in, and they come around and make sure you're distanced. How is that not controlled?

I've been at 4 matches since crowds were allowed, 4 seats minimum between everyone, details filled in online before arriving for contact tracing, double checked again on the gate, if your names not there you aren't getting in, sanitizer your hands and then get a wristband.

How in the name of god is that not controlled

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    That's nearly 5 months out of date. That was generally rubbished everywhere at the time anyway. What exactly has this got to do with FF/FG and nocturnal emissions?

The imperial college models were not rubbished back in March.

So outdoor theatre can continue with 200 but 50 people can't go to a football match. More nonsense but no surprise

It's the before and after not the sports themselves is how they were explaining it. One must assume that cases are emerging linked to such scenarios for them to highlight it.

Sweden took measures. They didn't do nothing. Look it up.

No country has completely open since. the peak. What you're talking about isn't true.

The imperial college models were not rubbished back in March.
    By April they were. Why are you linking to details on it?

is_that_so wrote: »
    By April they were. Why are you linking to details on it?

Because the imperial college models were used to justify measures back in March amongst other wildly inaccurate predictions.

The people at the helm in March would love the voting public to believe that it was their fearless decisive action and expert advice that helped saved tens of thousands of lives.

Great link to an American Right Wing Think Tanks website.

I'm sure you're not blinded by bias at all.

Great link to an American Right Wing Think Tanks website.

I'm sure you're not blinded by bias at all.

Lol, how does that impact the imperial college model predictions?

Not sure I have the bias.

Because the imperial college models were used to justify measures back in March amongst other wildly inaccurate predictions.

The people at the helm in March would love the voting public to believe that it was their fearless decisive action and expert advice that helped saved tens of thousands of lives.
    No, they weren't. They were looking at Italy, China, France and Spain. We were largely ignoring the UK as they were off hunting herd immunity for a bit. As a strategy what we did helped ease pressure in our wobbly health system and we got down to very low numbers by July. People died as they did everywhere, and pretty much the same locations were exposed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭yawhat?

I've been at 4 matches since crowds were allowed, 4 seats minimum between everyone, details filled in online before arriving for contact tracing, double checked again on the gate, if your names not there you aren't getting in, sanitizer your hands and then get a wristband.

How in the name of god is that not controlled

They explained quite clearly the rationale for the decision. People were congregating before and after matches and sharing transport to matches. Yet you choose to completely ignore the reasons provided and engage in more whataboutery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,683 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

SD on Newstalk - threatening national lockdown when asked to explain the new restrictions (and getting laid into)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement