Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Works out as no more than 58 cases should be reported today.

54 reported. I'd wonder when the two reported deaths happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭gw80

MOR316 wrote: »
    No cases since May, seemingly under control, leave them at it.

I have friends over that neck of the woods. Relative normality as resumed in a lot of places out there

I find that hard to believe, they have neighborhoods over the with the same population as Ireland rammed in together and in six months they have as good as eradicated Corona,
    When in six month's in ireland we can only have six people in your house but they can have 15000 people at a rave with no social distancing no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I've a feeling Carlow is bordering on lockdown. 4 more cases yesterday, and more today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

pc7 wrote: »
    It would be known, they are professional players on extremely high salaries. Clubs carry out intensive medical checks. You can be sure they’ve had everything scanned and checked.

Wouldn't say the professional rugby lads are on extremely high salaries. Don't doubt that a lung capacity check might form part of a medical, specifically looking for lesions, hmm, not certain, so can't be sure of that. Again, like to see the evidence before jumping to conclusions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,803 ✭✭✭Trampas

Call me a cynic but how do numbers jump so and especially on bad news days they seem to shoot up like to give it more backing behind their reason. I’m expecting a jump tomorrow when pubs, and lok remain as is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

The fact that the HSE can't do more than 6k tests a day for an entire week? Do you think that's acceptable? 100k a week, yeah right. Complete spin.
    They can. Tests can only be processed if they are requested.
    If there are only 6k tests requested a day, why would labs process more than that.

There's a difference between private testing and tests being done in private hospitals. Private hospital patients won't be done through the HSE but are still tests in a health care setting.

If private companies choose to source a private company to conduct their tests, that's up to them. The HSE can't control that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Id think the same but maybe we should, like if the virus is as deadly as we have been told it would be seemingly impossible to cover up?

I live in China and it is back to normal, I'm back to work, 30% of people wearing masks, the odd temperature check.

Of 190 cases yesterday:
    Carlow +4
    Clare +7
    Cork +3
    Dublin +49
    Kerry +1
    Kildare +50
    Kilkenny +4
    Laois +1
    Kilkenny +4
    Laois +1
    Limerick +20
    Louth +4
    Meath +2
    Offaly +1
    Roscommon -1
    Tipperary +38
    Waterford +3
    Wexford +4
    Wicklow -6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

gw80 wrote: »
    I find that hard to believe, they have neighborhoods over the with the same population as Ireland rammed in together and in six months they have as good as eradicated Corona,
    When in six month's in ireland we can only have six people in your house but they can have 15000 people at a rave with no social distancing no problem.

I'll take my best friends' word and knowledge on the situation. They have lived in Asia for 15 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Wouldn't say the professional rugby lads are on extremely high salaries. Don't doubt that a lung capacity check might form part of a medical, specifically looking for lesions, hmm, not certain, so can't be sure of that. Again, like to see the evidence before jumping to conclusions.

It's not uncommon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Hurrache wrote: »
    It has been well established at this point that your body can suffer such affects. It got lost in the other **** show of a thread with the usual arguing that it's scaremongering and not actually a long term effect.

I was only reading a story on one of the US broadsheets this morning about the large number of people showing various damage to their bodies months after getting the virus, I can't remember which one, I'll try dig it out.

I don't know why some people are so quick to go and dismiss this virus as nothing and are so eager to rush back out to the way life was before. There's a vaccine right around the corner for us. I don't feel hard done by, by social distancing and restrictions. I've had some fantastic and unique experiences this summer and they were all nearly on my doorstep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Of 190 cases yesterday:
    Carlow +4
    Clare +7
    Cork +3
    Dublin +49
    Kerry +1
    Kildare +50
    Kilkenny +4
    Laois +1
    Kilkenny +4
    Laois +1
    Limerick +20
    Louth +4
    Meath +2
    Offaly +1
    Roscommon -1
    Tipperary +38
    Waterford +3
    Wexford +4
    Wicklow -6
    Kildare might end up being the reason they don't relax restrictions on the three counties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,651 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Of 190 cases yesterday:
    Carlow +4
    Clare +7
    Cork +3
    Dublin +49
    Kerry +1
    Kildare +50
    Kilkenny +4
    Laois +1
    Kilkenny +4
    Laois +1
    Limerick +20
    Louth +4
    Meath +2
    Offaly +1
    Roscommon -1
    Tipperary +38
    Waterford +3
    Wexford +4
    Wicklow -6

Where's Galway in that lot?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Trampas wrote: »
    Call me a cynic but how do numbers jump so and especially on bad news days they seem to shoot up like to give it more backing behind their reason. I’m expecting a jump tomorrow when pubs, and lok remain as is
    For the past 11 weeks since June 8th almost double the average amount of cases announced on Tuesdays versus Mondays and Wednesdays, I suspect we have reporting issues over the weekend that filter into larger numbers on Tuesdays

owlbethere wrote: »
    I've had some fantastic and unique experiences this summer and they were all nearly on my doorstep.

You were warned before about shouting and ranting at the neighborhood kids!

• Advertisement

Where's Galway in that lot?
    There was no new cases in Galway yesterday

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

They are in France and club involved, they would be scanned for any muscle issues, tears etc. but back on topic. These aren’t the first reports of lung lesions, go back to the first threads in Wuhan and docs were using scans to diagnose Covid due to glass/legion like scarring on lungs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Tipp and limerick doesn't look good. No way the schools last more than a few weeks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

I've a feeling Carlow is bordering on lockdown. 4 more cases yesterday, and more today.

What about Tipperary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

How in the name of God are Laois still in "lockdown"?

I know the 14 days average is high but ffs. There's nothing going on there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

is_that_so wrote: »
    54 cases and two deaths

Two deaths denotified as well.

What about Tipperary?
    Carlow's incidence is way worse than Tipperary.
    https://twitter.com/President_MU/status/1294219030262415361?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

US2 wrote: »
    Tipp and limerick doesn't look good. No way the schools last more than a few weeks

Isn't the tip numbers related to an outbreak though ? I know it's a high number but it's known the source of them. Did something happen in limerick with a confirmed outbreak that I might have missed ?

Decision tomorrow on that by NPHET. Measures are up on Sunday anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,651 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

They are probably trying to make sure that no Picnic heads decide to go up to Stradbally and have a party up there anyway even though Electric Picnic is cancelled. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You may not do that yourself but as someone who is closely involved in GAA training, matches etc. I have seen many that do.

The GAA crowd always march to the beat of their own drum, always have... you’d hear them shîtehawking on about the ‘cummunity’ at every and any opportunity but they are people of an EXTREMELY inward looking mindset....

My local pub, owned by an ex Garda, known to be frequented by ex Dubs and even the odd current player has been known to drop in ... anywhere else 11.30 last orders, midnight they are still pulling pints as long as there wouldn’t be a strange crowd of non regulars who they could be wary of... I’ve been glad of having the favor extended the odd time to our company but I know it’s to keep US stumm as opposed to a thanks for your business type deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭gw80

I'll take my best friends' word and knowledge on the situation. They have lived in Asia for 15 years

What is your friends words exactly,
    I'm just curious what the situation is over there,
    Are they finding any cases at all or have they figured out how to manage the virus,
    Do they shut down areas or businesses if a case turns up.
    Or how is it being reported, is there case updates every day?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1296129936550494210/

Laois 14 day incidence rate is dropping, almost in line with Carlow now. Tipperary, Limerick and Clare remain at roughly half the 14 day incidence rate that Laois (the best faring of the 3 LOK counties) had when lockdown was imposed on them. I think they are relatively safe for now.

If Laois's rate remains on the way down for the next few days it makes sense to remove it from lockdown imo. Offaly and especially Kildare are nowhere near removal yet based on the 14 day incidence rates. Kildare is still in a very bad way.

Having sport behind closed doors looks nuts in most counties. No cases in Leitrim for 14 days+ for example.

marno21 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1296129936550494210/photo/1

Laois 14 day incidence rate is dropping, almost in line with Carlow now. Tipperary, Limerick and Clare remain at roughly half the 14 day incidence rate that Laois (the best faring of the 3 LOK counties) had when lockdown was imposed on them. I think they are relatively safe for now.

If Laois's rate remains on the way down for the next few days it makes sense to remove it from lockdown imo. Offaly and especially Kildare are nowhere near removal yet based on the 14 day incidence rates. Kildare is still in a very bad way.
    Reilly's on the ball with the graphs last few days

gw80 wrote: »
    What is your friends words exactly,
    I'm just curious what the situation is over there,
    Are they finding any cases at all or have they figured out how to manage the virus,
    Do they shut down areas or businesses if a case turns up.
    Or how is it being reported, is there case updates every day?

They live elsewhere in Asia, not China. It's pretty much Covid free where he is.
    There are no restrictions, face coverings are mandatory but, you can do whatever you want

There wasn't even 500 cases where they are

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Reilly's on the ball with the graphs last few days

His Twitter and the data he presents, and the way he presents it, really is excellent be it with covid or other stuff. He is very good at highlighting important items that largely go unpublished elsewhere because they're not soundbite friendly or simple enough to put into headlines or Facebook posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

is_that_so wrote: »
    Decision tomorrow on that by NPHET. Measures are up on Sunday anyway.

But just this week we've had the minister for health say he's hopeful the lockdown in those three counties could be lifted and last night was hinting at another large scale lockdown or at least that was what was said here from people who were watching it live. That's mixed messages imo. Either don't say anything about the three counties or do and don't hint at another lockdown. Stick to the message. I think Irish people are very good at doing the right thing when they have a clear message.

owlbethere wrote: »
    I don't know why some people are so quick to go and dismiss this virus as nothing and are so eager to rush back out to the way life was before. There's a vaccine right around the corner for us. I don't feel hard done by, by social distancing and restrictions. I've had some fantastic and unique experiences this summer and they were all nearly on my doorstep.

There's nothing stopping you from continuing to do that.

There are restrictions preventing other people from doing the things they like doing, and would be considered a normal way of living.

There is 0 guarantee of a vaccine, zero, 0, nowt, none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Works out as no more than 58 cases should be reported today.

Bang on. Backlog totally addressed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Not a hope this thing is eradicated in Wuhan unless the Chinese know something about treating this that they haven't shared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I live in China and it is back to normal, I'm back to work, 30% of people wearing masks, the odd temperature check.

Why do you think China has been so successful managing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

marno21 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1296129936550494210/photo/1

14 day average seems a little broad when looking at the current state of the situation? I'd like to see a 7 day average of the 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Coronavirus_WeldingDoors_2500kbps_620x350_1703522883742.jpg

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    But just this week we've had the minister for health say he's hopeful the lockdown in those three counties could be lifted and last night was hinting at another large scale lockdown or at least that was what was said here from people who were watching it live. That's mixed messages imo. Either don't say anything about the three counties or do and don't hint at another lockdown. Stick to the message. I think Irish people are very good at doing the right thing when they have a clear message.
    It's safe to say that Donnelly is not a patch on Harris! He can't promise what he can't deliver and the numbers upthread are not good for Kildare.

• Advertisement

They are flip-flopping by the minute. I understand that the situation is fluid, but christ, they have no strategy, no plan, nothing, deciding from day to day what they are doing, infuriating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Coronavirus_WeldingDoors_2500kbps_620x350_1703522883742.jpg

Initially yes, but you still have transmission from abroad etc, you just couldn't keep it quiet

Asian countries are faring much much better in general

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭HeyV

There was no new cases in Galway yesterday

Citizen, do you have the breakdown for the day 56 cases were announced? It was Monday 17th, they listed the figures for a couple of counties and said that the rest of the the cases, 17, were from various counties, of which Galway was one.
    I’ve looked but I can’t find it anywhere.

They are flip-flopping by the minute. I understand that the situation is fluid, but christ, they have no strategy, no plan, nothing, deciding from day to day what they are doing, infuriating.
    They have one plan and one plan only, open the schools. Once that has been done we might see actual plans.

HeyV wrote: »
    Citizen, do you have the breakdown for the day 56 cases were announced? It was Monday 17th, they listed the figures for a couple of counties and said that the rest of the the cases, 17, were from various counties, of which Galway was one.
    I’ve looked but I can’t find it anywhere.
    https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/36bd8-statement-from-the-national-public-health-emergency-team-tuesday-18-august/#cases-by-county
    Galway was +1
    Just for reference - if you're looking for location cases from say the 17th of July, they're contained at the bottom of the 18th of July's press release

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There's nothing stopping you from continuing to do that.

There are restrictions preventing other people from doing the things they like doing, and would be considered a normal way of living.

There is 0 guarantee of a vaccine, zero, 0, nowt, none.

Nothing is normal and nothing WILL be normal as long as there is a situation on this planet where a highly contagious virus has killed 777,000 people globally and that virus hasn’t existed before outside a laboratory.

One person dies from covid every 15 seconds.... look at your watch folks, that isn’t made up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Isn't the tip numbers related to an outbreak though ? I know it's a high number but it's known the source of them. Did something happen in limerick with a confirmed outbreak that I might have missed ?

Is Limerick high from sports clubs and Kilkee beach party tracings etc.,

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭HeyV

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/36bd8-statement-from-the-national-public-health-emergency-team-tuesday-18-august/#cases-by-county
    Galway was +1
    Just for reference - if you're looking for location cases from say the 17th of July, they're contained at the bottom of the 18th of July's press release

Thank you, will know that for again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Leitrim has now gone 15 days without a case best in class,also only 3 new cases in 3 months.Before the Leitrim jokes start i know it has the smallest population,but the Carrick On Shannon area is well populated and attracts large numbers of tourists cruising the river Shannon.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Not a hope this thing is eradicated in Wuhan unless the Chinese know something about treating this that they haven't shared.

https://www-rte-ie.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1159804/?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=15978580006454&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rte.ie%2Fnews%2Fcoronavirus%2F2020%2F0818%2F1159804-coronavirus-wuhan%2F

Europe and the americas are absolutely rubbish at dealing with this. Democracy and personal freedoms has its place but not in the face of a once in a 100 year global pandemic. Accept the government is going to take some of your normal freedoms for the next while to get out of this. Leadership in Europe and America has been poor but then people wanted them in. Americans voted trump in. What did they expect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Because they locked down the country, they had experiences of a lockdown 17 years ago with Sars so people had a fear and took it seriously.

There are many massive gated communities and by lockdown people couldn't leave these communities for 3-4 months and you had to wear a Mask and social distance inside. You could only leave the community for grocery shopping and that was permitted once a day by one person from your apartment. If you came into your community even from another city you had to quarantine, someone came and stuck tape across your door and you wouldn't be allowed leave for 14 days.

They then found people were coming into the country with the virus so they closed the border. Anyone returning must quarantine in a hotel and yet ur expense for 14 days.

So they beat the virus with very strict rules for 3-4 month hard lockdown.

There are still cases popping up but I'm not sure how they're controlling them now. Also schools were the last thing they opened until they knew everything was safe.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement