Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,744 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

https://www-rte-ie.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1159804/?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=15978580006454&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rte.ie%2Fnews%2Fcoronavirus%2F2020%2F0818%2F1159804-coronavirus-wuhan%2F

Europe and the americas are absolutely rubbish at dealing with this. Democracy and personal freedoms has its place but not in the face of a once in a 100 year global pandemic. Accept the government is going to take some of your normal freedoms for the next while to get out of this. Leadership in Europe and America has been poor but then people wanted them in.

History tells us that doesn't end well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

There's nothing stopping you from continuing to do that.

There are restrictions preventing other people from doing the things they like doing, and would be considered a normal way of living.

There is 0 guarantee of a vaccine, zero, 0, nowt, none.

The Oxford vaccine is looking very promising and it will be with us by Christmas. It will take some more months to roll it out across the population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

lukas8888 wrote: »
    Leitrim has now gone 15 days without a case best in class,also only 3 new cases in 3 months.Before the Leitrim jokes start i know it has the smallest population,but the Carrick On Shannon area is well populated and attracts large numbers of tourists cruising the river Shannon.

Fair play and well done... it’s not a densely populated county but all the same it’s great that the population in that part of the country are playing their part and serious about helping the country and it’s citizens.

https://mobile.twitter.com/thepmanofficial?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

This guy has been keeping a note of the county figures for months. Is a handy tool to refer back to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is Limerick high from sports clubs and Kilkee beach party tracings etc.,

Out break in the hospital i think

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

FAI in talks with government, note that they didn't call out Glynn like the GAA but looked for government talks straight away

"The FAI remains in discussions with Government agencies around the latest COVID-19 guidelines and how they affect football at all levels.

As soon as the Government has updated the association on a number of issues, we will communicate a revised Safer Return to Training and Safer Return to Play Protocols."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

lukas8888 wrote: »
    Leitrim has now gone 15 days without a case best in class,also only 3 new cases in 3 months.Before the Leitrim jokes start i know it has the smallest population,but the Carrick On Shannon area is well populated and attracts large numbers of tourists cruising the river Shannon.

Most people outside of Leitrim don’t even know if it exists. I’m still dubious when I see Leitrim tog out every summer in the champo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Strumms wrote: »
    Fair play and well done... it’s not a densely populated county but all the same it’s great that the population in that part of the country are playing their part and serious about helping the country and it’s citizens.

As opposed to what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I heard that if you are quick enough you can actually dodge the virus in a supermarket. Should tell them that next time. We have to be optimistic about the future.
    Of course there his no evidence of this but equally there is no evidence you can't so like you know.

Well, now that you mention it, the HSE still states that spending more than 15 minutes of face-to-face contact within 2 metres of an infected person in any setting is a close contact.

So a quick shop should be reasonably safe! Possibly why there was sweet feck all cases even before masks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Initially yes, but you still have transmission from abroad etc, you just couldn't keep it quiet

I know; I was being facetious. AFAIK, bad and all as the Chinese authorities are, they didn't actually weld people into their apartments. In some blocks, they closed off all entrances bar one so they could monitor that one properly via CCTV or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Paddygreen wrote: »
    The Climate Change Emergency hasn’t gone away you know. I am expecting climate carnage by this time tomorrow. Big hammer blow for Cork. Destruction is almost guaranteed.

Mod: @Paddygreen - cut it out. You have been given a lot of latitude so far, but the very next condescending or facetious post from you will earn you a threadban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Over 3,700 cases in Spain today.

Depressing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

This really is laughable, department says one thing, minister says another
    https://twitter.com/Philip_Ryan/status/1296141445942870017?s=19

They don't even understand their own guidelines... Which makes them relatable, since nobody else understands them either.

AdamD wrote: »
    History tells us that doesn't end well

Thomas Hobbs said it well. Without government life is nasty brutish and short. Governments for the most part try to protect the majority. In return we give up some of our personal freedoms. I think western culture has been so immune from harsh realities for so long they don't see this. Freedom good/government bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Drumpot wrote: »
    Most people outside of Leitrim don’t even know if it exists. I’m still dubious when I see Leitrim tog out every summer in the champo.

That’s said about Carlow too, but we’re not doing all that great considering our population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Out break in the hospital i think

God love them all, hope recoveries no fatalities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Can someone confirm where the NPHET proposed pubs going back to 10.30pm was?

Eamon Ryan quoted as saying it is "just as safe" to stay open for a half hour longer.

He told RTE's Today with Sarah McInerney: "The government assessed that the risk there, they didn't see that the risk was actually attached to the time.

"It was actually the management of the pub, to make sure we don't have any incidences where pubs are flouting the rules.

"And actually if it's an orderly, properly done process we think over an extended period it could actually be just as safe.

"In fact, if you're trying to cram people into a certain shorter period of time it might be less safe. That was a judgement call by the government."

So why not leave the times alone then?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

nocoverart wrote: »
    That’s said about Carlow too, but we’re not doing all that great considering our population.
    Carlow has the 3rd lowest population of any county and is bordered by Kildare though. Given the population of Carlow it would only require 39 cases over a 14 day period to reach the threshold at which Laois was locked down. In contrast Dublin would require 932 cases over a 14 day period to reach that threshold.

• Advertisement

It has been doing well from the start. It's helped that sorrounding counties north/south have done fairly well also. Sligo/fermanagh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

What's the point of putting on a concert for 6 audience members. Ridiculous.

I thought the 6 people restriction applied to private gatherings in homes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,683 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

This is really clear - why is everyone complaining about mixed messages
    Mr Donnelly further added that in the cases of gyms if people are "obeying the rules", then you can have more than six people but for any gym classes, there can be no more than six

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

marno21 wrote: »
    Carlow has the 3rd lowest population of any county and is bordered by Kildare though. Given the population of Carlow it would only require 39 cases over a 14 day period to reach the threshold at which Laois was locked down. In contrast Dublin would require 932 cases over a 14 day period to reach that threshold.

Ah yeah, valid point. Kildare though, always Kildare... if hosting a sh1thole like Athy wasn’t bad enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

Dr Glynn gives further explanation for the benefit of the GAA, Leo Varadkar, Michael McNamara, Ryanair and the rest of his attackers and assorted whatabouters.

https://twitter.com/ronan_glynn/status/1296141115553394694

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Like a lot of people I’ve reached the end of my tether with what the government is doing and deciding we need to do.

The biggest contradiction is Church attendance.
    If they are saying that the elderly are to limit movement then close churches, let them work away online, get RTe to broadcast mass regularly. Have the parish priest call to elderly people.

The reason sport is behind closed doors is because people have spread the virus travelling to games together, so that should have been banned. Ban travel of mixed households. Do people not travel to mass together?

They are bringing is so many rules and so much ambiguity around those rules that people are just doing what they deem necessary and safe.

I’m not even mentioning school, which I just can’t for a minute see working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭road_high

owlbethere wrote: »
    The Oxford vaccine is looking very promising and it will be with us by Christmas. It will take some more months to roll it out across the population.

It could take a few years. You’ve got to upscale manufacturing capacity, implement a mass vaccination programme which would need huge capacity and resources. Ireland will be at the bottom of the food chain too for vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Considering the total county population is roughly 34K, it is a miracle that they can field a team at all.

Beautiful gem of a county. One of my favourites. If the weather was better it would be a perfect Irish holiday

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

road_high wrote: »
    It could take a few years. You’ve got to upscale manufacturing capacity, implement a mass vaccination programme which would need huge capacity and resources. Ireland will be at the bottom of the food chain too for vaccine
    This is just simply not true.

https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-centre/press-releases/2020/astrazeneca-to-supply-europe-with-up-to-400-million-doses-of-oxford-universitys-vaccine-at-no-profit.html

There will be tens of billions spent on rapid expansion of manufacturing and distribution channels for this. The cost of not doing it is many, many multiples.

Absolutely ANY solution will have money thrown at it to end this ongoing calamity as soon as possible. There is zero benefit in not doing so and many large costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

We seem to be back to our old trick of denotifying cases/deaths. Total number of cases only increased by 44 today and total number of deaths didn't increase at all. How are we still sneaking in denotifications at this stage, can't they just wait until they are confirmed before including them in the numbers!? I can only assume that it is another way of inflating the numbers and keep the fear level high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Do people not travel to mass together?

From different households? I'd say it's pretty unusual.

marno21 wrote: »
    This is just simply not true.

https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-centre/press-releases/2020/astrazeneca-to-supply-europe-with-up-to-400-million-doses-of-oxford-universitys-vaccine-at-no-profit.html

There will be tens of billions spent on rapid expansion of manufacturing and distribution channels for this. The cost of not doing it is many, many multiples.

Absolutely ANY solution will have money thrown at it to end this ongoing calamity as soon as possible. There is zero benefit in not doing so and many large costs.

Well you can bookmark this page then and you can (hopefully) prove me wrong later!
    Can have all the money thrown at it, that doesn’t guarantee biology and science will be able to find a solution. Being “hopeful” and all that doesn’t really achieve a whole lot. You either have a vaccine or not.
    Tens of billions (to be) spent on the manufacturing- how long do you reckon it’ll take to set up facilities with all the high standards associated. As for administration of the vaccine we dont have a mass process in train yet I’m aware of unless it’ll be GP led which I dont know. Still will take time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

road_high wrote: »
    Ireland will be at the bottom of the food chain too for vaccine

Ireland hasn't been at the bottom of the food chain for anything for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,803 ✭✭✭Trampas

Ohmeha wrote: »
    For the past 11 weeks since June 8th almost double the average amount of cases announced on Tuesdays versus Mondays and Wednesdays, I suspect we have reporting issues over the weekend that filter into larger numbers on Tuesdays

I would have no issue with that if they were clear with their numbers but they are not. They would rather paint a worse picture to justify their restrictions.

They should be giving better breakdown on numbers.

From different households? I'd say it's pretty unusual.

It’s probably rare alright, but the point is that people have spread the virus by travelling to sporting events together, therefore the solution to that is to inform people not to travel in cars with other people not in their household ever, not just for matches.

When their solution is to ban spectators at games it doesn’t t address people travelling together, you can still have families mixing to provide transport, just not watching the match.

It’s just dumb communication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

I think they should be specific about the meat plant workers at the Camogie match.

Dr Glynn gives further explanation for the benefit of the GAA, Leo Varadkar, Michael McNamara, Ryanair and the rest of his attackers and assorted whatabouters.

Makes a bit more sense. MM explained it terribly. Could we not have just got Leo to tell us yesterday. I do think masses should be closed. Probably there to feel that we are not ganging up on the oldies. I have heard of a few instances of poor measures in churches with greater than 50 in attendance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Lads I'm writing an article and I need to know how many tests are we doing per week at the moment and how many of these are from private labs? Anyone have any information on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭spookwoman

s1ippy wrote: »
    Lads I'm writing an article and I need to know how many tests are we doing per week at the moment and how many of these are from private labs? Anyone have any information on this?
    Don't have numbers for private labs other numbers are on the hub for hospital and lab tests

Great rationale on the numbers and why action was taken. Doesn't address why 50 people cant watch a match outside while 50 people can attend a wedding indoors however

• Advertisement

Ronan needs a Haircut.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ronan needs a Haircut.

I reckon he's going for the High Grant loveable rogue look to counter his scowling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Haven't time to watch it. How many cases related to outdoor sporting activities does he say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

This sums up the govs approach so far. The boat can’t fit MM and Leo.
    Leo jumped out of it yesterday.

“Don’t you worry, it’s gonna be alright!”

https://twitter.com/wtfurk_memes/status/1283828826422771712?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

The Minister for Older People said the number of nursing homes residents who have so far died with Covid- 19 now stands at 985.

Mary Butler welcomed today's review and acknowledged mistakes had been made, but she said she did not think residents had been let down

She said there had been challenges with PPE supply, staffing numbers and transferring patients from acute hospitals to nursing homes and she said the key thing was to learn from those mistakes and to ensure the nursing homes are now properly prepared.

985 isn’t letting people down? That’s 985 senior citizens, people with disabilities, grandmothers, grandfathers, great grandparents.

It was the use of temporary/agency nursing staff that brought this virus into the nursing homes in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Over 3,700 cases in Spain today.

Depressing

Do Spain give a split between new cases and antibody testing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

Carlow's incidence is way worse than Tipperary.

Carlow is a tiny county, locking it down wouldn't really make a lot of sense - unless they're continuing the lockdown in the nearby counties.

The county-based lockdown isn't the best idea anyway - maybe the new "traffic light" system will work better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Speak Now wrote: »
    Do Spain give a split between new cases and antibody testing?

No but the figure released today doesn't include them if they did .......
    Part of misinformation going on to downplay significance of the situation.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1296109907574509568?s=20

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement