Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Polar101 wrote: »
    Finland removes Ireland from their 'green list' of countries, a month after it was added.

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/article11501293.ece

Wonder does that mean they will be off our green list? Was the assumption that countries on that list didn't have any requirements or was more to do with incidence level?

khalessi wrote: »
    Ireland loves the Finnish model, its why we always comment on their education and drool after it but then take our ideas from the UK. Probably doing the same with how Covid19 is dealt with.

Sure government always bandy about copying other countries models but not the investment etc which makes it work.

Down to 17 in hospital and now down to 6 in ICU. Positive numbers in all the gloom over cases.

Good numbers alright.

If cases were low also we would be flying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Good numbers alright.

If cases were low also we would be flying.

yes but only to green list countries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Strumms wrote: »
    A person who has been infected with covid, is asymptomatic is a sick / ill person.

Is that so?

Im not being disingenuous, but I would have thought asymptomatic would be at little risk and certainly not sick/ill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Is that so?

Im not being disingenuous, but I would have thought asymptomatic would be at little risk and certainly not sick/ill?

I mean, the clue is in the word, but, what do we know.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Eod100 wrote: »
    Or maybe not. This government don't seem to know what's going on themselves tbh. All over the shop. Case of too many cooks? The reopening was always going to be harder than full restrictions but they should at least try to stay on the same page!

https://twitter.com/oconnellhugh/status/1296185210745298944

ah lads really ? Like does anyone actually have a clue what they're at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

They know they have lost the support of the people, that was easy to see in the video

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,847 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Is that so?

If you have cancer, you have an illness. If you in the early stages of cancer, showing no symptoms you are asymptomatic. You still have an illness and the condition is still having an affect on your body.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

No but the figure released today doesn't include them if they did .......
    Part of misinformation going on to downplay significance of the situation.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1296109907574509568?s=20

Thanks worldometers had said "total Cases' reported is the sum of total cases detected by PRC and antibodies tests".

If you have cancer, you have an illness. If you in the early stages of cancer, showing no symptoms you are asymptomatic. You still have an illness and the condition is still having an affect on your body.

No thats asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic, there is a huge difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

It's semantics, but if you have Covid-19 and are asymptomatic then you are infected but not ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Thats using the assumption that Covid explicitly killed those 172k which isn't the case as we know.

If it was allowed run through the population it certaintly is not the end, in fact most won't know they have it.

If you apply the asymptomatic figures from a recent food production facility outbreak to the general population, over 90% will have no symptoms.

We need to remember, a positive case is not a sick person

Yes it is far more than 172k in fact, excess deaths in the US stand at overv 225,000 since March.

The figure of 90% asymtomatic rate obviously does not apply to the general population as workers are relatively young and able bodied , hence the large number of deaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,744 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Down to 17 in hospital and now down to 6 in ICU. Positive numbers in all the gloom over cases.

We had 174 cases on the 8th of August, and about 50 a day for the week leading up to it and we've seen very little movement in hospitalisations, interested to see how the next 2 weeks go.

• Advertisement

The National Cancer Institute, just... “Having no signs or symptoms of disease”

bb1234567 wrote: »
    The figure of 90% asymtomatic rate obviously does not apply to the general population as workers are relatively young and able bodied , hence the large number of deaths.

I agree here.

Its an incredibly dangerous illness to those over 65, especially so with underlying issues, but for those well enough to attend work its not particularly dangerous at all

It's semantics, but if you have Covid-19 and are asymptomatic then you are infected but not ill.

Not ill in terms of feeling ill , you have an illness / virus though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I agree here.

Its an incredibly dangerous illness to those over 65

It's not really if your other wise healthy enough. It's definitely not their biggest killer or anywhere near it.

ah lads really ? Like does anyone actually have a clue what they're at

I think Waterford Whispers News sums it up well.. :pac: https://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2020/08/19/what-in-the-ever-living-****-is-going-on-wwn-explains-the-governments-new-covid-measures/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Lundstram wrote: »
    You didn't seem to have a problem with the Vitners Association publicly condeming NPHET so why should the GAA be any different?

The GAA have handed over stadiums for testing and do everything by the letter of the law regarding Covid19. As a player myself I know this for a fact. Very thorough throughout all this.

They're well within their rights to question Glynn and get answers that its 300,000 members want.

Lets not forget political pressure was applied in the run up to the last GAA Presidential election so that an unknown from New York was voted in instead of a Northern nationalist and well know figure Jarlath Burns.
    Its high time the GAA fought back against this incompetent government and started pushing a United Ireland

It's not really if your other wise healthy enough. It's definitely not their biggest killer or anywhere near it.

70% of positive nursing home cases survived. I was shocked at the survival rate, it sounded like a guaranteed death sentence to nursing home patients listening to the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Unfortunately the hse report shows quite a jump (relatively) in ICU.

There’s now 12 in ICU, up from 7 yesterday. 6 are ventilated, up from 4 yesterday.

Hospital numbers are at 16, down from 20 yesterday.

There does seem to be something odd with the report, given each hospital with icu patients all have 2 each, and some of those only show 1 in general beds, but they are reported at slightly different times (6.30 for ICU and 8pm for general beds)

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/covid19-daily-operations-update-2000-19-august-2020.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

70% of positive nursing home cases survived. I was shocked at the survival rate, it sounded like a guaranteed death sentence to nursing home patients listening to the media.

With all the confusion being sewed by the Government, everyone thinks this is an incompenance by the Govt. it's not...

Who's talking about the 1000 deaths when OAP patients in hospitals were released back into their care home without any Covid testing... Basically the HSE authorised a release of all these patients and no one is talking about it now...

A nursing home is gods waiting room, nobody gets out alive. I'm surprised with that 70% myself hadn't heard it. Still don't know if they died with Covid or from Covid, a lot of them were sent from the hospital to the nursing homes as well, they must have been pretty sick anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

There’s now 12 in ICU, up from 7 yesterday. 6 are ventilated, up from 4 yesterday.

There does seem to be something odd with the report, given each hospital with icu patients all have 2 each, and some of those only show 1 in general beds, but they are reported at slightly different times (6.30 for ICU and 8pm for general beds)

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/covid19-daily-operations-update-2000-19-august-2020.pdf

Yes it does look like a data error, I think they've just doubled up on the ICU numbers. Fingers crossed anyway

That report for what its worth is 16 total in hosptial including ICU. Took a while for that to actually be made clear a few weeks ago.

But your right reports at different times so theres a bit of a difference in the numbers.

Has happened before when out of nowhere Tallaght dropped from 9 cases to 0 cases in the report but was amended the next day.

I'd be surprised out of 16 in hosptial 12 were in ICU.

For what its worth on the data hub they're reporting 6 in ICU as of 7.30pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

2 deaths in ICU last 24hrs, so actually 7 admissions rather than 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

That report for what its worth is 16 total in hosptial including ICU. Took a while for that to actually be made clear a few weeks ago.

But your right reports at different times so theres a bit of a difference in the numbers.

Has happened before when out of nowhere Tallaght dropped from 9 cases to 0 cases in the report but was amended the next day.

I'd be surprised out of 16 in hosptial 12 were in ICU.

For what its worth on the data hub they're reporting 6 in ICU as of 7.30pm
    Either way, looks like those 2 deaths announced today occurred in the last 24hrs in ICU. So not historic ones.

ICU:
    Tullamore (+2) - 2
    Tallaght (+1) - 2
    Sligo (+1) - 2
    Mater (--) - 2
    Kilkenny (-1) - 0
    Connolly (+1) - 2
    Beaumont (+1) - 2

• Advertisement

2 deaths in ICU last 24hrs, so actually 7 admissions rather than 5.

Report doesn't appear to be accurate.

Data hub reporting 6 in ICU at of 19:30, with 1 admission and 1 discharge in last 24hrs

A nursing home is gods waiting room, nobody gets out alive. I'm surprised with that 70% myself hadn't heard it. Still don't know if they died with Covid or from Covid, a lot of them were sent from the hospital to the nursing homes as well, they must have been pretty sick anyway.

The 70% was quoted by someone one newstalk earlier, I forget the guys name yet again.

Basically he had some interesting quantifiable data like above but he ensured to remain on the correct PC side of discussion

Data hub reporting 6 in ICU at of 19:30, with 1 admission and 1 discharge in last 24hrs
    Yeah I don't know if I believe it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Wouldn't be the first time it was incorrect. I just hope this is one of those times. Otherwise it's a significant increase in ICU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Except in this Korean study of 1K infections and 15K close contacts.
    Over half of transmission events occurred BEFORE onset of symptoms.

https://twitter.com/AliNouriPhD/status/1293913738953650176?s=20

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Wouldn't be the first time it was incorrect. I just hope this is one of those times. Otherwise it's a significant increase in ICU.

Are some ICU admissions a result of testing delaying treatment, if your sick and call the doctor you then have to wait for a test and result, I gave an example earlier of someone I know, was sick enough to call the doctor this morning, won't get a test until Friday afternoon, results maybe Tuesday, now that's 7 days there sick along with the 2 days before hand with symptoms.
    The only way that person can get any medical help is they get a&e level sick between now and then.
    Treatment needs to start with symptoms, were taking the sure see how it's goes road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

I've followed pretty much every guideline that has been asked of the public since this began. I've pretty much agreed with them all and maybe that's cos they were explained well previously.

But this week has changed. How can you justify allowing 50 (possibly older/vulnerable) people into a church but not allowing to stand on the side pitch in the open air with plenty of space.

More powers to be given to Gardai when it should be the HSA given extra resources to inspect the factories where the outbreaks are actually happening.

Announcements made over 24 hours ago are still being clarified throughout this afternoon and even tonight there remains uncertainty on indoor restrictions it seems.

Donnelly trying to compare kids going back to school as the same risk as getting in a car? Really? That's what the trolls weree posting in these threads in March ffs!

And then you have Martin. I'm genuinely surprised Eamon Ryan stayed awake during the press conference yesterday.

Vaccine when it comes will likely be in form of nasal form as this route provides more protection from infection (in mice). Nice graphic explaining.
    Not nice to think of the poor mice.

• Advertisement

I've followed pretty much every guideline that has been asked of the public since this began. I've pretty much agreed with them all and maybe that's cos they were explained well previously.

But this week has changed. How can you justify allowing 50 (possibly older/vulnerable) people into a church but not allowing to stand on the side pitch in the open air with plenty of space.

More powers to be given to Gardai when it should be the HSA given extra resources to inspect the factories where the outbreaks are actually happening.

Announcements made over 24 hours ago are still being clarified throughout this afternoon and even tonight there remains uncertainty on indoor restrictions it seems.

Donnelly trying to compare kids going back to school as the same risk as getting in a car? Really? That's what the trolls weree posting in these threads in March ffs!

And then you have Martin. I'm genuinely surprised Eamon Ryan stayed awake during the press conference yesterday.

I've seen some speculation it's because people congregate before and after matches but I don't see how that's any different to gigs of same size outdoors say. Not that there will be many of those this time of year but still. Either way think they need to explain rationale behind decisions to have better buy-in from the public.

If measures aren't seen to be consistent, fair or equally applied, they won't be sustainable.

Are some ICU admissions a result of testing delaying treatment, if your sick and call the doctor you then have to wait for a test and result, I gave an example earlier of someone I know, was sick enough to call the doctor this morning, won't get a test until Friday afternoon, results maybe Tuesday, now that's 7 days there sick along with the 2 days before hand with symptoms.
    The only way that person can get any medical help is they get a&e level sick between now and then.
    Treatment needs to start with symptoms, were taking the sure see how it's goes road.

Depending on the profile of the person. Early treatment essential.
    They reckon that's why Germany had such better outcomes to other parts of Europe. They had the highest capacity. There is a relationship between length of time between symptoms and hospital admission with mortality. I'll have a look but basically earlier intervention = better outcome as you'd expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Yes, discrepancies in the data sets.

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/pages/hospitals-icu--testing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Still infected even if asymptomatic. Body dealing with infection without showing usual symptoms just .
    Doesn't mean not infection toys or that will remain well .

Pre symptomatic is before symptoms appear.

Hard to know if one isn't the other unless checked after isolation period or retested at 7 days .

Depending on the profile of the person. Early treatment essential.
    They reckon that's why Germany had such better outcomes to other parts of Europe. They had the highest capacity. There is a relationship between length of time between symptoms and hospital admission with mortality. I'll have a look but basically earlier intervention = better outcome as you'd expect.

Yea that's what I assume, doctors won't do anything for you to treat initial symptoms, Surely there's some drugs of use to help stop or delay before it hits your lungs. The only thing the person I referred to was advised take is paracetamol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

That HSE report has to be an error. I presume it should read 6 instead of 12 in ICU. Good to see the overall number fall to 16 when it was in the 20s a few days ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

That's really awful at this stage . Testing should be 72 hours from referral to result . At least that's what they are telling us !
    If that person is very sick should be on to GP asap and get referred into A&E for assessment .
    If manageable at home with paracetamol and fluids , ok, but GP needs to be checking up on him , before the weekend and HSE should call him too.
    I got a few calls when I was referred in mid March from GP and HSE because testing was delayed by 2 weeks at that time .

Apart from usual symptomatic treatment ie . Paracetamol, fluids , people should not be taking any medications unless prescribed .
    No treatment . Drugs like dexamethasone are only given and effective when patients ventilated in ICU . And taking steroids prior to this has been recommended against as it can make your symptoms worse and interfere with your ability to fight the virus .

Surely they should have been honing the system in the summer to get it quicker. It's like they took the eye off the ball with the testing when things were quiet. Not good enough. Gp referrals should be priority as you would think they are the most likely to be positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

This is going to rumble on

What are they doing? It's not like they are sending people to Mars, they are trying to tell people what they've decided. It can't be that hard to communicate it CLEARLY.

Their testing too many I think, any symptom gets a test, doctor won't see you, nurses in surgery just say you have to be tested, you can pay €40 if you want to talk to the doctor on the phoe but that's €40 to be told you have to be tested.
    Teething 18mt olds are been sent as they've a temperature, no sense in all the referrals, think that's ringing through with the positivity rates. It's like doctors have forgotten how to doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

I asked two weeks ago if I was wrong in saying, that this carry on from our Government, is getting as bad as Boris Johnson's efforts.

People said no, I was wrong...

I'm a right ****ing Nostradamus me :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement