Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

GP in Monaghan.

Case in point re: delays in testing.

This gp got covid also.

It seems every positive case she gets she tells the media all the details.

Think she is trying to carve out media career for herself.

Wouldn't want to be her patients.

Confidentiality is low in her priorities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Goldengirl wrote: »
    That's really awful at this stage . Testing should be 72 hours from referral to result . At least that's what they are telling us !

Maybe it is 72hrs, how do you get the results, does it come back via the GP if so it's Monday result at the earliest as they don't open weekends or you get a text like the test appointment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

GP in Monaghan.

This gp got covid also.

If she's telling the truth that is ****ing disgraceful though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Their testing too many I think, any symptom gets a test, doctor won't see you, nurses in surgery just say you have to be tested, you can pay €40 if you want to talk to the doctor on the phoe but that's €40 to be told you have to be tested.
    Teething 18mt olds are been sent as they've a temperature, no sense in all the referrals, think that's ringing through with the positivity rates. It's like doctors have forgotten how to doctor.

You shouldn't be charged for a covid consultation or referral afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Their testing too many I think, any symptom gets a test, doctor won't see you, nurses in surgery just say you have to be tested, you can pay €40 if you want to talk to the doctor on the phoe but that's €40 to be told you have to be tested.
    Teething 18mt olds are been sent as they've a temperature, no sense in all the referrals, think that's ringing through with the positivity rates. It's like doctors have forgotten how to doctor.

Or maybe they're just following govt guidelines.

Agree but surely a better channel than Twitter to raise it. Guess if she keeps details vague hopefully nobody would be able to identity patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

All the lads at their Debs this year

47ff6259fb643ae143f68f9f81b9457e.jpg

I would say everything she says is correct alright.

Not great.

Eod100 wrote: »
    You shouldn't be charged for a covid consultation or referral afaik.

The nurse offered the referral, when they questioned it the nurse said you can talk to the doctor but it'll be €40 so they paid and doctor said nothing only go for a test, no consultation.

The nurse offered the referral, when they questioned it the nurse said you can talk to the doctor but it'll be €40 so they paid and doctor said nothing only go for a test, no consultation.

I'm sure it happens but if it's connected to covid symptoms, they're not meant to. Basically want everyone to come forward and don't want a financial deterrent to that. CMO was asked about after hour GPs doing same and said there should be no charge in either case.

• Advertisement

I would say everything she says is correct alright.

Not great.
    If the comments are to be believed then some close contacts of Kildare factories haven't even been tested yet

If the comments are to be believed then some close contacts of Kildare factories haven't even been tested yet

No wonder we have to have so many constrictions. Could be lag in cases so. And even then close contacts aren't obliged to take a test..! :confused:

GP in Monaghan.

This gp got covid also.

She's right to be having a rant especially about the contact part, only the person waiting on a test is asked to isolate, rest of the house can carry on as normal same for close contacts. If it's really that highly transmissible that's terrible policy but with such loose criteria for testing they don't have a choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

Hi,

Don’t know if this is the right thread to post but worth a shot. My mother got tested Monday, results back today and she’s positive. I was in close contact with her Sunday (she was asymptotic) when she very likely had the virus. GP won’t refer me for a test (receptionist says I can’t get a phone consultation Monday as I have no symptoms), but I want one ASAP because I work in retail and have been in close with co-workers and I was also at an outdoor gathering with friends Sunday night (after seeing my mother).

My bf got tested last week and got referred by his GP straight away when he told them he was in contact with a confirmed case. Another friend’s brother got referred today (for a test tomorrow) by his GP when he only had a cough and not been in contact with a confirmed case.

Would I be able to ring another local GP and try get a referral, as it seems my GP is being rather strict on who he refers?

Agree but surely a better channel than Twitter to raise it. Guess if she keeps details vague hopefully nobody would be able to identity patients.

Probably is vague enough alright but if I was that lady and still sick not sure if I would want to be tweeted about. Maybe I'm old fashioned and she is highlighting a problem in fairness.

hasdanta wrote: »
    Hi,

Don’t know if this is the right thread to post but worth a shot. My mother got tested Monday, results back today and she’s positive. I was in close contact with her Sunday (she was asymptotic) when she very likely had the virus. GP won’t refer me for a test (receptionist says I can’t get a phone consultation Monday as I have no symptoms), but I want one ASAP because I work in retail and have been in close with co-workers and I was also at an outdoor gathering with friends Sunday night (after seeing my mother).

My bf got tested last week and got referred by his GP straight away when he told them he was in contact with a confirmed case. Another friend’s brother got referred today (for a test tomorrow) by his GP when he only had a cough and not been in contact with a confirmed case.

Would I be able to ring another local GP and try get a referral, as it seems my GP is being rather strict on who he refers?
    Ring HSELive on 1850241850 straight away in the morning and tell them you're a close contact of a confirmed case. They'll either refer you directly or get the contact tracing team to contact you. Isolate yourself in the meantime.
    What county are you in, out of curiousity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Polar101 wrote: »
    What are they doing? It's not like they are sending people to Mars, they are trying to tell people what they've decided. It can't be that hard to communicate it CLEARLY.

I have been supportive of the restrictions and NPHET all along as could see the end result and understood to where they were trying to get us
    Today I feel a lot if these measures are random and unjustifiable and are just going to put people off and reduce compliance generally .
    I don't know whether it's the change of government or that the lobby groups like factories are getting stronger or that NPHET 's advice is being undermined by different factions in the government .
    Talking about schools opening being a priority out of one side of his mouth ( MM ) but giving the job to a blushing newbie and schools floundering trying to get ready with minimal input and only a couple of weeks to go .
    Flights in and out for a lot of the summer from various hotspots with lip service paid to any quarantines.
    Maskwearing is not enforced in enclosed spaces..so many not wearing them in shopping centres , and social distancing and cleaning of trolleys in supermarkets is a thing of the past.
    Young people who need lifts to play matches away are now being blamed for spread, . unlike others at house parties of all ages or factory owners who pay little heed to health and safety ..
    138 pubs are in breach of food rules as of today , never mind the event at Berlin a few nights ago .

It's saying something when Waterford Whispers makes more sense than government crisis press briefings!
    Whatever it is they would want to get it sorted quick as they are losing what support that has accrued over the handling of the crisis so far .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It's almost like they dropped the ball with test and tracing. Is the lack of quick test turn around and rapid contact tracing the reason the clusters mushroomed (bad choice of words) and spilled over into massive secondary spread in the community?
    And now they react after the fact with indoor and outdoor restrictions to stem the spread?

Ring HSELive on 1850241850 straight away in the morning and tell them you're a close contact of a confirmed case. They'll either refer you directly or get the contact tracing team to contact you. Isolate yourself in the meantime.
    What county are you in, out of curiousity?

Are HSELive capable of referring people? I thought I read online that ringing the HSE numbers won’t get you a referral!

And I’m in Kildare!

• Advertisement

I can't believe they are charging you €40 to talk to the doctor on the phone !
    The doctor gets paid for every Covid related phone call he / she makes by the government, you should not be paying too!

Are HSELive capable of referring people? I thought I read online that ringing the HSE numbers won’t get you a referral!

And I’m in Kildare!
    HSELive have direct contact with the tracing team and can instruct you on what to do when your GP refuses to refer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Winter isn't even here yet and the testing and tracing is under pressure and substandard to say the least. It's actually very concerning for the months ahead.

HSELive have direct contact with the tracing team and can instruct you on what to do when your GP refuses to refer.

Perfect, thank you. Will give them a ring in the morning

Winter isn't even here yet and the testing and tracing is under pressure and substandard to say the least. It's actually very concerning for the months ahead.
    I'm struggling to see where it went wrong. It kind of came out of nowhere after we did well for so long.

Maybe it is 72hrs, how do you get the results, does it come back via the GP if so it's Monday result at the earliest as they don't open weekends or you get a text like the test appointment?

I was phoned by the HSE with mine but that was end of March .
    That when I was off sick .

Other tests done thru HR at work so got negatives thru them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

And I’m in Kildare!

Ring GP’s at random until one refers you, and say you have a fever and are a close contact, you‘ll be tested

And I’m in Kildare!

I think part of the contact tracing involves arranging tests for close contacts. Not sure would they arrange it like that if you called but no harm to check, they might be able to advise re getting it from GP.

If GP knows you're out working it seems fairly mad not to refer you for a test under the circumstances. If you wait til you have symptoms you could potentially be infecting others in meantime or be asymptomatic.

Perfect, thank you. Will give them a ring in the morning

Or ring K - Doc now, they can probably refer you

Hi,

How did she end up getting a test in the first place if asymptomatic?

How did she end up getting a test in the first place if asymptomatic?

She went abroad. She said every second person off the plane was getting tested by Greek Government

• Advertisement

Kildare seems to be a bit of a disaster atm with testing/tracing

She went abroad. She said every second person off the plane was getting tested by Greek Government
    It's a foreign case? In that case HSELive won't do anything. Need to find a GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Queried

Hi,

Hi hasdanta,

I hope you're doing okay, sounds like a very frustrating situation to be in. As another poster mentioned, isolating, which I'm sure you're probably doing, and calling the HSELive hotline is probably your best bet. I hope your mother is okay, is she asymptomatic still? Hoping you get sorted soon and that your boyfriend's test comes back negative.

Best wishes

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Newbienoob

Goldengirl wrote: »
    I have been supportive of the restrictions and NPHET all along as could see the end result and understood to where they were trying to get us
    Today I feel a lot if these measures are random and unjustifiable and are just going to put people off and reduce compliance generally .
    I don't know whether it's the change of government or that the lobby groups like factories are getting stronger or that NPHET 's advice is being undermined by different factions in the government .
    Talking about schools opening being a priority out of one side of his mouth ( MM ) but giving the job to a blushing newbie and schools floundering trying to get ready with minimal input and only a couple of weeks to go .
    Flights in and out for a lot of the summer from various hotspots with lip service paid to any quarantines.
    Maskwearing is not enforced in enclosed spaces..so many not wearing them in shopping centres , and social distancing and cleaning of trolleys in supermarkets is a thing of the past.
    Young people who need lifts to play matches away are now being blamed for spread, . unlike others at house parties of all ages or factory owners who pay little heed to health and safety ..
    138 pubs are in breach of food rules as of today , never mind the event at Berlin a few nights ago .

It's saying something when Waterford Whispers makes more sense than government crisis press briefings!
    Whatever it is they would want to get it sorted quick as they are losing what support that has accrued over the handling of the crisis so far .

And Stephen Donnelly's latest interview beggars belief!!!

It's a foreign case? In that case HSELive won't do anything. Need to find a GP.

She rang HSE from Greece. Said they’d be contacting her for her details tomorrow, but based on my BF’s experience with HSE contacting tracing, it could be like 2-3 days until they ring me and organise a test (which is why my BF got a referral instead).

I’m isolating at the moment but I have friends nagging me to try speed it up, so just want to get tested to get them off my back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

These stories coming out are worrying , they lead you to believe anyone can get a test and that contact tracing is up to speed at the briefings.

If the GP's story is true which I presume is ,,we are heading for another April all over again .

We'd be better off with Trump over here running the show the way it's going .

Queried wrote: »
    Hi hasdanta,

I hope you're doing okay, sounds like a very frustrating situation to be in. As another poster mentioned, isolating, which I'm sure you're probably doing, and calling the HSELive hotline is probably your best bet. I hope your mother is okay, is she asymptomatic still? Hoping you get sorted soon and that your boyfriend's test comes back negative.

Best wishes

Thanks for your concern. He tested negative, but his work is making him re isolate now because my mother tested positive (we live together)

She rang HSE from Greece. Said they’d be contacting her for her details tomorrow, but based on my BF’s experience with HSE contacting tracing, it could be like 2-3 days until they ring me and organise a test (which is why my BF got a referral instead).

I’m isolating at the moment but I have friends nagging me to try speed it up, so just want to get tested to get them off my back
    Oh okay, I'd ring them so and double check that your details are in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Thats a painful watch
    First the driving a car example then there's this,

"We manage risk in our lives... our children being on trampolines is an inherently risky to do"
    Dead right. Trampolining is notoriously contagious and adversely affects older people.

Heh.

:(

Juwwi wrote: »
    These stories coming out are worrying , they lead you to believe anyone can get a test and that contact tracing is up to speed at the briefings.

If the GP's story is true which I presume is we are heading for another April again .

We'd be better off with Trump over here running the show the way it's going .

No thanks

• Advertisement

I'm struggling to see where it went wrong. It kind of came out of nowhere after we did well for so long.

De Gascun on holidays ? 😉

I'm not sure what happens cases from test result from abroad but if you were in close contact with her in Ireland, HSE may be able to advise.

I think part of the contact tracing involves arranging tests for close contacts. Not sure would they arrange it like that if you called but no harm to check, they might be able to advise re getting it from GP.

If GP knows you're out working it seems fairly mad not to refer you for a test under the circumstances. If you wait til you have symptoms you could potentially be infecting others in meantime or be asymptomatic.

I would have thought they should be asking people in Kildare to come and get tested if concerned ?!

It seems my GP is just being really strict, I don’t know why. I know of 3 people who have either themselves, or had a family member, be referred the next day if they were in close contact with someone

Newbienoob wrote: »
    And Stephen Donnelly's latest interview beggars belief!!!

Haven't seen it ..can't bear to watch anymore !😲

Viral load was probably very low by the time she was back and you got into close contact with her, did they test her on the way in or out of Greece?
    Not convinced you need a test yet hence the questions..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

What's your mother's situation in Greece is she in quarantine now .

Viral load was probably very low by the time she was back and you got into close contact with her, did they test her on the way in or out of Greece?
    Not convinced you need a test yet hence the questions..

I was hugging and kissing her Sunday night. She left for Greece on Monday and was swabbed upon arrival. She got the call this morning to say that she had COVID. Her and my father have been moved to a “quarantine hotel” now for the remainder of their holiday, and will be allowed to fly home when she comes back with a negative result.

Juwwi wrote: »
    What's your mother's situation in Greece is she in quarantine now .

Answered in response above :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Really, it was fairly obvious for sometime. Chickens coming home to roost.

I wrote this 5 weeks ago when I gave up on this lot....
    I think trust is waning. I won't be following any advice when it comes. If things do get bad, I'll look out for my family, friends, community in that order. Absolute joke of a government.
    Telling us not to travel while simultaneously allowing people from the most infected country on the planet come here and holiday.
    Actually advertising the place as a remote hideaway.
    Hiding behind the attorney general when they are the legislators

https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1282978145155440641?s=20
    https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1282978145155440641?s=20

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement