Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

hasdanta wrote: »
    She went abroad. She said every second person off the plane was getting tested by Greek Government

Apparently rising cases , Mykonos anyway .

Hope she is ok out there ?
    Can she fly home or is she allowed out of her apartment over there as long as she is distanced , or what ?

Edit . Just saw your response there .

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Kildare seems to be a bit of a disaster atm with testing/tracing

Wondering what you are basing that on? The county has had multiple industrial outbreaks. This solely explains the numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I was hugging and kissing her Sunday night. She left for Greece on Monday and was swabbed upon arrival. She got the call this morning to say that she had COVID. Her and my father have been moved to a “quarantine hotel” now for the remainder of their holiday, and will be allowed to fly home when she comes back with a negative result.

Kinda scary someone could have it and not know at all but could be asymptomatic or asymptomatic. Guess odds of false positive fairly low. Hope she does ok.

I'd definitively try chase up HSE or GP to get a test if at all possible. Hope you avoid getting the virus altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Apparently rising cases , Mykonos anyway .

Hope she is ok out there ?
    Can she fly home or is she allowed out of her apartment over there as long as she is distanced , or what ?

She seems to be okay. Says she now feels a bit achey, with a slight bad taste in her mouth and a tightness of the chest. When talking to her, she said they’re not allowed out of their apartment (food is being delivered to them and left outside the door), but I imagine they may be allowed walk around the grounds of the hotel for a bit of exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I was hugging and kissing her Sunday night. She left for Greece on Monday and was swabbed upon arrival. She got the call this morning to say that she had COVID. Her and my father have been moved to a “quarantine hotel” now for the remainder of their holiday, and will be allowed to fly home when she comes back with a negative result.

Jaysus that's awful, sorry to hear that. Chances are you won't have gotten it or even if you did viral load was. low so will show up asymptomatically.

Will the people on the plane be contact traced? I know there is probably very little risk but I'd hope contact tracers there follow up with the other passengers. Especially those in close proximity. Greece is a longish flight for euro destinations.

• Advertisement

Jaysus that's awful, sorry to hear that. Chances are you won't have gotten it or even if you did viral load was. low so will show up asymptomatically.

Will the people on the plane be contact traced? I know there is probably very little risk but I'd hope contact tracers there follow up with the other passengers. Especially those in close proximity. Greece is a longish flight for euro destinations.

Yeah, I don’t think I have it myself but just want to get tested so all my friends stop nagging me LOL. All people travelling to Greece are required to fill out a form on the Greek governments website, so hopefully contact tracing is easy

Frustrating thing about delays in contact tracing and testing is that way you stay on top is by having a proactive and responsive scheme.

I'd think if there was capacity asymptomatic workers working in public and/or with other colleagues should be regularly tested at random every so often.

Know NPHET saying testing doesn't prevent cases but quicker ones definitely could reduce risk of people infecting others and to contact people as soon as possible. It's really not rocket science.

Economy is going to lose billions. Just pump it into system or outsource to other EU countries with spare lab capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I've a niggling feeling she could have got it from you or one of the rest of the family or friends. She'd hardly test positive on arrival just from the flight, what's she think, pretty big knock on effects for your circle and work if your positive.
    This is a bit of a problem with the whole contact tracing, pretty much impossible trace all your contacts and the other staffs, you hardly know all their names and numbers..
    No reflection on yourself but I think the asymptomatic spread is off the charts as we're such a small island.

She seems to be okay. Says she now feels a bit achey, with a slight bad taste in her mouth and a tightness of the chest. When talking to her, she said they’re not allowed out of their apartment (food is being delivered to them and left outside the door), but I imagine they may be allowed walk around the grounds of the hotel for a bit of exercise.

Ah that is horrible for them but at .east they are allowed out for exercise. Sorry to hear that she has symptoms but hopefully will be mild.
    Hope you get tested soon . Take care .

I've a niggling feeling she could have got it from you or one of the rest of the family or friends. She'd hardly test positive on arrival just from the flight, what's she think, pretty big knock on effects for your circle and work if your positive.
    This is a bit of a problem with the whole contact tracing, pretty much impossible trace all your contacts and the other staffs, you hardly know all their names and numbers..
    No reflection on yourself but I think the asymptomatic spread is off the charts as we're such a small island.

Is it not possible for her to have contracted it, say, Friday, and then given it to me on Sunday?

• Advertisement

Silly question, are there private labs in Ireland? Or do private hospitals outsource testing to public system?

Know places are doing antibody testing but doubt there's private places you can pay to get a test if not a close contact or asymptomatic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

She could have also picked it en route easily, not beyond the odds of plausibility. Either way, close contacts before and after should be tested if within 14 day period.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Frustrating thing about delays in contact tracing and testing is that way you stay on top is by having a proactive and responsive scheme.

I'd think if there was capacity asymptomatic workers working in public and/or with other colleagues should be regularly tested at random every so often.

Know NPHET saying testing doesn't prevent cases but quicker ones definitely could reduce risk of people infecting others and to contact people as soon as possible. It's really not rocket science.

Economy is going to lose billions. Just pump it into system or outsource to other EU countries with spare lab capacity.

I think Martina 1991 would have something to say about that .
    The system is underfunded and they dismantled the spare capacity when things went a bit quiet ...all the while we have been warned that a 2 nd wave would hit sometime in August if it was going to happen 😲

Is it not possible for her to have contracted it, say, Friday, and then given it to me on Sunday?

Possible the opposite is just as probable though, considering you work in retail you'd be more likely to pick it up first.

She could have also picked it en route easily, not beyond the odds of plausibility. Either way, close contacts before and after should be tested if within 14 day period.

I don't think she would have tested positive that soon. I am not an expert but I thought you would have to have enough of a viral load to test positive and surely it would take a couple of days incubation to be at that stage ?

Possible the opposite is just as probable though, considering you work in retail you'd be more likely to pick it up first.

I don't think that's accurate. We have to be careful about what we say. I believe the following is what you should say.
    There is no empirical evidence of anyone catching it in a supermarket on the island of island.
    Equally there is no evidence of anybody contracting it on the way to or in an airport or airplane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I think Martina 1991 would have something to say about that .
    The system is underfunded and they dismantled the spare capacity when things went a bit quiet ...all the while we have been warned that a 2 nd wave would hit sometime in August if it was going to happen 😲

Dismantling the spare capacity before winter, is just total negligence. Heads should roll if that's the cause of this almost uncontrolled cluster of outbreaks. No doubt they'll be blaming anyone but themselves (government I mean)
    They say we get the government we deserve, but seriously we don't deserve what we have.

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Dismantling the spare capacity before winter, is just total negligence. Heads should roll if that's the cause of this almost uncontrolled cluster of outbreaks. No doubt they'll be blaming anyone but themselves (government I mean)
    They say we get the government we deserve, but seriously we don't deserve what we have.

Sure don't they still have Citywest and arrangement with private hospitals in place? If they did reduce the testing system what the feck were they at like?!:confused:

Some user asked why I was kissing my mother when my partner tested positive (think it’s deleted):

Response: No worries, probably worded myself poorly in the last thread. My bf got tested because someone he worked with tested positive, but his test results have come back negative (HSE didn’t require him to do the 14 day isolate that they want most negative results to do as he didn’t work with that person on a specific day)

I don't think that's accurate. We have to be careful about what we say. I believe the following is what you should say.
    There is no empirical evidence of anyone catching it in a supermarket on the island of island.
    Equally there is no evidence of anybody contracting it on the way to or in an airport or airplane.

I'm in retail myself, I don't want to drag this down the mask road but if I had a €1 for every numpty that either touches the front of their mask, comes in with a filthy one, pulls one out of their pocket, thinks it's a chin strap before approaching me I'd be a very rich man. If it was up to me they would not be mandatory, my staff are protected with perspex but nothing can protect them from these face touchers before they hand you something.
    It's absolutely doing my head in on a daily basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,682 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Are masks in shops now legally enforceable?
    Been in a lidl a few times the past few days and always about 10% not wearing mask and they have a security guy on the door so it's not like they can just wander in
    Unless you are carrying around an oxygen cylinder there really is no reason to not wear a mask, no reason to not even carry one when going out
    (And I hate wearing them)

Wolf359f wrote: »

As per SD on PT last night, and saying they had no problem building up that capacity again !

fritzelly wrote: »
    Been in a lidl a few times the past few days and always about 10% not wearing mask and they have a security guy on the door so it's not like they can just wander in
    Unless you are carrying around an oxygen cylinder there really is no reason to not wear a mask, no reason to not even carry one when going out
    (And I hate wearing them)

I think a lot of retail units have signs " please wear masks" but said they will not enforce it .
    So the usual suspects will not bother which makes a mockery of it tbh.
    I'd say 25% not wearing n our local Lidl .

Some user asked why I was kissing my mother when my partner tested positive (think it’s deleted):

Response: No worries, probably worded myself poorly in the last thread. My bf got tested because someone he worked with tested positive, but his test results have come back negative (HSE didn’t require him to do the 14 day isolate that they want most negative results to do as he didn’t work with that person on a specific day)

Saw that but it disappeared .
    Was wondering if you were taking the pee?

Yes retailers all over the country looking to get their customers 6mts in Jail.
    When there was only the odd loony in a mask the HSA were checking every shop for perspex, distancing was being adhered to, everyone cleaning their hands, now their piling on top of each other like a scene from father ted.

We've gone backwards, the numbers reflect this.

When there was only the odd loony in a mask the HSA were checking every shop for perspex, distancing was being adhered to, everyone cleaning their hands, now their piling on top of each other like they haven't had a ride in 6mts.

While I agree with you on all of that , the sexual imagery is a little unnecessary , dm !

Edit . Oh well done there , Haha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Kaylami

Woke up saturday with symptoms main one I couldnt catch my breath. Had been fine Friday.

Rang doctor on call referral for test Saturday. Tested Monday. Still no results. So 5 days since symptoms.

All in house restricting movements.

I think a lot of retail units have signs " please wear masks" but said they will not enforce it .
    So the usual suspects will not bother which makes a mockery of it tbh.
    I'd say 25% not wearing n our local Lidl .

25% not wearing one, 72% giving an example of how not to use one and 3% probably getting it someway right.

When there was only the odd loony in a mask the HSA were checking every shop for perspex, distancing was being adhered to, everyone cleaning their hands, now their piling on top of each other like they haven't had a ride in 6mts.

Exactly - in the best of times I hate people invading my personal space to start with in situations like shops etc. You expect it in bars but in shops do you really need to be breathing down my neck

• Advertisement

Kaylami wrote: »
    Woke up saturday with symptoms main one I couldnt catch my breath. Had been fine Friday.

Rang doctor on call referral for test Saturday. Tested Monday. Still no results. So 5 days since symptoms.

Jeez it's back to March with the testing , mad !

How are you now?

I'm in retail myself, I don't want to drag this down the mask road but if I had a €1 for every numpty that either touches the front of their mask, comes in with a filthy one, pulls one out of their pocket, thinks it's a chin strap before approaching me I'd be a very rich man. If it was up to me they would not be mandatory, my staff are protected with perspex but nothing can protect them from these face touchers before they hand you something.
    It's absolutely doing my head in on a daily basis.

Yeah good point, I could see that being a problem. People should be picked up on it. It's literally dangerous. I've been fairly laissez faire in the supermarket. Might have to go back a step. A lot of it is education in that they don't know. There are other people who don't agree with it so sticking there nose out is the equivalent of giving the man the finger. I saw some fella who came in with one and took it off one ear and wanted to be challenged. The Americanisms are polluting us. We inherit issues that don't make sense.

Exactly - in the best of times I hate people invading my personal space to start with in situations like shops etc. You expect it in bars but in shops do you really need to be breathing down my neck

Yes . At the fruit aisle nobody around , then suddenly this wan positively dived in front of me to grab a box of strawberries and ran off .
    I was a bit stunned . She was like someone from the Walking Dead with a blue mask on , lol .

This government have abandoned all hope of keeping on top of this and are right now thinking of the next platitude they can relay to the people whilst coming up with some inane new restrictions

How the hell did FF get back in to power - FG should have declared a national emergency or something to stay in power til it was all over (is that even possible in Ireland?)

While I agree with you on all of that , the sexual imagery is a little unnecessary , dm !

Fixed it, Ted was the first thing came to my head just got lazy and went for the easy line...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'm struggling to see where it went wrong. It kind of came out of nowhere after we did well for so long.

I would have thought that this hasn't come out of nowhere. Far from it.

It's easy to feel like everything is going to work perfectly when new case numbers are low and a lot of the testing is targeted mass testing of clearly defined groups and subjects.

The writing has been on the wall for weeks about the general deterioration of the situation and concerns about it expressed on the thread have been too often glibly, even gleefully, dismissed.

There's been people on this thread for weeks now talking about how they didn't believe in the supposed cast iron robustness of the testing and tracing regime and the bizarre over confidence on display that outbreaks and clusters were totally nothing to get worried about. Those sentiments have not aged well.

What's happening now is not a surprise. In my opinion, the signs were there the day the announced the 85 new cases, but a lot of people didn't want to accept that there was a strong possibility that things were beginning to get slightly hairy, to say the least, and didn't want to acknowledge that the picture being painted by the CMO was anything but entirely 100% rosey. With all due respect, you were very dismissive of people's legitimate concerns - nothing to worry about, the testing and tracing will work perfectly and it was only to do with known clusters anyway and it was hysterical to read anything more into it. Given all that, It's hardly surprising that you're now surprised, to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Yes . At the fruit aisle nobody around , then suddenly this wan positively dived in front of me to grab a box of strawberries and ran off .
    I was a bit stunned . She was like someone from the Walking Dead with a blue mask on , lol .

Dirty bitch

This government have abandoned all hope of keeping on top of this and are right now thinking of the next platitude they can relay to the people whilst coming up with some inane new restrictions

How the hell did FF get back in to power - FG should have declared a national emergency or something to stay in power til it was all over (is that even possible in Ireland?)

FG knew FF would fvck it up even more royally than they did. They are waiting for them to crash and burn so that they'll be the only civil war party left in the country. You can call me cynical but ....I don't have a cool quite from terminator to put here.
    I've voted for them previously. Won't be voting for them on principle. They should have declared a government of national unity to face the crisis we are in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

A lockdown again would be senseless from Martin, but the sort of c#nt he is he’s only love that to stamp his authority.

Despite the agreed opinion at the moment that people’s guard has went down, I don’t think people would listen to a second lockdown country wide like the first time. People want to move on with their lives now and live with the virus.

No way will people sit in again from March to what, may was it.

Even the most cautious people the first time around in their 50s and 60s are saying to hell with it and trying to enjoy life, have a pint, meet friends in their back garden, head away for a day trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Kaylami

Jeez it's back to March with the testing , mad !

How are you now?

Only today I've managed to get out of bed with it. Like I'm only 30 and healthy no underlying conditions and whatever this is has knocked me on my arse.

And try explaining to the kids why they can't come in to mammies room to have a chat.

Yeah good point, I could see that being a problem. People should be picked up on it. It's literally dangerous. I've been fairly laissez faire in the supermarket. Might have to go back a step. A lot of it is education in that they don't know. There are other people who don't agree with it so sticking there nose out is the equivalent of giving the man the finger. I saw some fella who came in with one and took it off one ear and wanted to be challenged. The Americanisms are polluting us. We inherit issues that don't make sense.

Sure they can't even police it to make it mandatory , how can you get people to wear the bloody thing properly if they just won't ?
    " Oh it steams up my glasses" , put some fairy liquid on the inside of your glasses , you should be cleaning them anyway .
    " Don't have to cover my nose unless I am sneezing " . So you'll drop your shopping and pull it up superfast , will you ? Good luck with that.
    " I have a medical condition " ..Only one I know that stops you wearing a mask is an illness like claustrophobia. . Even people with no ears can use ties instead of straps . And a lot of people with emphysema , asthma , COPd , would not be out without a mask in these times and they would be the only ones I would think may be allowed not to wear them possibly
    Sorry if that sounds harsh , but it is these noncompliant people who would be screaming blue murder that it is someone else's fault if they catch it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,629 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Take Care, hope negative for you

Dirty bitch

🙂

Smelly old boot

I'm struggling to see where it went wrong. It kind of came out of nowhere after we did well for so long.

Government and CMO change? Where's Paul Reid?

Only today I've managed to get out of bed with it. Like I'm only 30 and healthy no underlying conditions and whatever this is has knocked me on my arse.

And try explaining to the kids why they can't come in to mammies room to have a chat.

Its unnatural really .
    Hope you get better soon .

If only this storm could blow it away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I don't think she would have tested positive that soon. I am not an expert but I thought you would have to have enough of a viral load to test positive and surely it would take a couple of days incubation to be at that stage ?

Yeah you're probably right!

E]
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Government and CMO change? Where's Paul Reid?

Everyone's on holidays. Silly season. :mad:

Take Care, hope negative for you

I'm hoping positive, the other explanations aren't exactly appealing.
    I'd be loading up on the complex b vitamins in the mean time and Echinacea.

Fixed it, Ted was the first thing came to my head just got lazy and went for the easy line...

Still, all that pent up Irish dancing rolling around together in a caravan ...
    A bit like the shops now , lol .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

If only this storm could blow it away

I was only thinking, if they had a press conference today, you would have some silly journalist asking if someone coughs down in cork with the storm blowing, is there a risk the virus would be blown across the country.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement