Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,629 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm hoping positive, the other explanations aren't exactly appealing.
    I'd be loading up on the complex b vitamins in the mean time and Echinacea.

Add zinc, vit c and vit d

E]

Everyone's on holidays. Silly season. :mad:

I hope in Ireland on staycation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Add zinc, vit c and vit d

Vit D + 100

fritzelly wrote: »
    Are masks in shops now legally enforceable?
    Been in a lidl a few times the past few days and always about 10% not wearing mask and they have a security guy on the door so it's not like they can just wander in
    Unless you are carrying around an oxygen cylinder there really is no reason to not wear a mask, no reason to not even carry one when going out
    (And I hate wearing them)

I thought they were in most places especially like in shops, shopping centres and supermarkets

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Goodnight, laddies. My shift done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,682 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Renjit wrote: »
    Goodnight, laddies. My shift done.

TYFYS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,682 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

SD doesn't do much tweeting (more than MM ever does tho) bar repeating stuff but compare this to any other video tweet by SH during the crisis

https://twitter.com/DonnellyStephen/status/1296168916411195399

Used car salesman comes strongly to mind

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Beautiful and friendly but quite dangerous egg comes to mind.
    https://twitter.com/dazfla/status/1295873722755284996?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,283 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

khalessi wrote: »
    Have 2 ordered from US will arrive mid September
    Are you sure? My shipping agent recently refused to ship masks outside the USA due to government directives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

Arghus wrote: »
    I would have thought that this hasn't come out of nowhere. Far from it.

Now we'll see what they can do to fix the situation. Seems like testing is working fairly okay, but getting results is too slow - and the same with contact tracing that seems to be overwhelmed. The contact tracing issue isn't surprising with all the large clusters happening in a short period of time.

I assume the government's idea is to limit the number of contacts people have, so that might help with all of the issues. I'm not exactly convinced that it will, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

People are fed up now and just want to get in with their lives. We were fed a line in March/April thst if we stuck with the rules we would flatten the curve and now here we are.
    Demonising young people doesn’t help either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Gael23 wrote: »
    People are fed up now and just want to get in with their lives. We were fed a line in March/April thst if we stuck with the rules we would flatten the curve and now here we are.

Yep, people did their part for the most part, next of all there are hundreds of cases caused by factories but the government blamed house parties and watching sport which would have had a miniscule effect.

Government should just have come out clean and said, 'factories are shut down and fined heavily, unfortunately we have this in our communities now and we need to have strict restrictions for a month then a review after that'.

Instead they nothing has been said about the factories besides them getting tested and we're led to believe more that watching sport has caused this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Yep, people did their part for the most part, next of all there are hundreds of cases caused by factories but the government blamed house parties and watching sport which would have had a miniscule effect.

Government should just have come out clean and said, 'factories are shut down and fined heavily, unfortunately we have this in our communities now and we need to have strict restrictions for a month then a review after that'.

Instead they nothing has been said about the factories besides them getting tested and we're led to believe more that watching sport has caused this.

Irrigardless of any factory cases, nursing home issues or big parties in pubs. Things have to get back to normal. I felt like after the government Cleary showed their incompetent a few days ago.
    Big positives on the imunity front according to Dr cambell(he rarely has good news)
    Get offices open, schools open, pubs open and Fast.

And while they are at it beef up the health system it's their for the public not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Yeah, that’s not how dealing with pandemics works. Unfortunately I feel this attitude is starting to prevail, which will really see us in the shît this winter.

Yeah, that’s not how dealing with pandemics works. Unfortunately I feel this attitude is starting to prevail, which will really see us in the shît this winter.

How does dealing with pandemics work? We have no established method of dealing with pandemic, and most pandemics throughout history have been dealt with by everyone susceptible getting it and everyone vulnerable dying.

We are dealing with this one differently however thankfully, but that involves a nuanced assessment of the risks of the disease versus the risk to society of the measures to dealing with the disease. Some people feel the balance has been skewed towards overestimating the disease risk, other fell it has been skewed to underestimating. In general I feel we got the balance about right, apart from dealing with care homes in the very early stages. However in the past few weeks, it has become a more scater gun approach, with reactionary measures and delays taking place that don't seem to bear any relationship to the risks. How allowing 50 people to attend an outdoor event in a large area can be considered riskier than allowing 50 people to attend an indoor wedding is the most ludicrous example of this, and this is where the danger of losing people comes in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

Just on this tested if within 14 day period thing. That's what I thought too and I had been keeping my contacts low over a 14 day rolling period to account for this.

Found out my friend tested positive and I had seen her 12 days previously (8 days before her symptoms started) so obviously panicked about it and expected to need a test. The contact tracer told my friend that only people she was in contact with during the 3 days before her symptoms started needed to be tested as this is when she would have been contagious. I was outside that window so the contact tracer didn't even want my details. It's over 3 weeks since I saw her now and thankfully I'm all good but it surprised me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Polar101 wrote: »
    Now we'll see what they can do to fix the situation. Seems like testing is working fairly okay, but getting results is too slow - and the same with contact tracing that seems to be overwhelmed. The contact tracing issue isn't surprising with all the large clusters happening in a short period of time.

A few months back we were shown lots of pictures of rooms full of army personnel involved in contract tracing. Boats, football stadiums, drive through testing etc. 10,000 per week.....24 hour turn around...….laboratories popping up all over the place to do the analysis...

We were told to be careful....that it hadn't gone away...….it seems the powers that be thought it had.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

As if the presser the other evening wasn’t bad enough, it’s actually a freaking nightmare reading the last few pages regarding the lack of Track & Test, it is soul destroying. If they can’t get a handle on these latest outbreaks how the hell will we manage through winter.

ETA Kaylami hope you feel better soon, very hard be sick with kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Eod100 wrote: »
    Agree but surely a better channel than Twitter to raise it. Guess if she keeps details vague hopefully nobody would be able to identity patients.

She should be struck off if she is revealing details of her patients even if there is an outside chance that an individual may be identified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭almostover

I dont think you get it. The lockdown wasn't an attempt to appease the government. Regardless of what we were told, absolutely nothing has changed since March. COVID is still here and to prevent the health system being overwhelmed we must restrict our social interactions to prevent the spread of the virus. It doesn't matter what happened with the last few months the future challenge remains unchanged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

almostover wrote: »
    I dont think you get it. The lockdown wasn't an attempt to appease the government. Regardless of what we were told, absolutely nothing has changed since March. COVID is still here and to prevent the health system being overwhelmed we must restrict our social interactions to prevent the spread of the virus. It doesn't matter what happened with the last few months the future challenge remains unchanged.

Can you explain schools going back if that's really the case, it's not like they don't have parents to pass it on to.
    The Government kicked everyone out of hospitals with Covid into the nursing homes which caused a huge spike in our death rate. If they hadn't of done that we wouldn't have had such a crazy lockdown that seem to have been for nothing now. There will be an inquiry into who made such a crazy decision yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Wonder will power cuts result in delays with peolle being able to get on to GPs to be referred for testing and delays in contact tracing? In fairness ESB are doing trojan work so will try to restore power asap. Just bad time to be getting a fecking storm like that! This year eh?!

Some good news....makes you wonder should we just let it fly the sooner everyone gets a tiny dose the better...

The Irish Times: Studies show positive signs of strong, lasting Covid-19 immunity.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/studies-show-positive-signs-of-strong-lasting-covid-19-immunity-1.4332233?localLinksEnabled=false

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

almostover wrote: »

People must also live their lives. Time doesn’t stand still

Im not suggesting it was an attempt to appease the government in April but people were led to believe that by making huge sacrifices then it would lead to better days ahead and look where that has led us

Eod100 wrote: »
    Wonder will power cuts result in delays with peolle being able to get on to GPs to be referred for testing and delays in contact tracing? In fairness ESB are doing trojan work so will try to restore power asap. Just bad time to be getting a fecking storm like that! This year eh?!

A lot of their phone lines even electricity won't be working this morning so it has to. It's done a lot of damage to communication across the country, Cork, Galway etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭plodder

Some good news....makes you wonder should we just let it fly the sooner everyone gets a tiny dose the better...

The Irish Times: Studies show positive signs of strong, lasting Covid-19 immunity.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/studies-show-positive-signs-of-strong-lasting-covid-19-immunity-1.4332233?localLinksEnabled=false
    That is good news. I wouldn't say "let it fly", but talk of new total lockdowns seems to going in the wrong direction imo.

Luke O'Neill said something about a new drug that might be used in nursing homes to protect the elderly. I couldn't find the podcast, so maybe he is going to be talking about it today on Pat Kenny's program.

plodder wrote: »
    That is good news. I wouldn't say "let it fly", but talk of new total lockdowns seems to going in the wrong direction imo.

Once we open the school that's the big red button that says do not touch. It's going to be like wildfire.

Children may carry more Covid-19 in systems than previously thought – study

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/children-may-carry-more-covid-19-in-systems-than-previously-thought-study-39464491.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Lundstram wrote: »
    You didn't seem to have a problem with the Vitners Association publicly condeming NPHET so why should the GAA be any different?

The GAA have handed over stadiums for testing and do everything by the letter of the law regarding Covid19. As a player myself I know this for a fact. Very thorough throughout all this.

They're well within their rights to question Glynn and get answers that its 300,000 members want.

They simply aren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

GP in Monaghan.

Case in point re: delays in testing.

This gp got covid also.

It seems every positive case she gets she tells the media all the details.

Think she is trying to carve out media career for herself.

Wouldn't want to be her patients.

Confidentiality is low in her priorities.

Sounds like she's airing legitimate concerns. Tbph, I don't really agree with all this "confidentiality" stuff surrounding covid. It's not like you have to do anything embarrassing or illegal to catch it. I'd like to know if one of my neighbours had it, or if the village I was planning to arrange a big houseparty in had cases. People might be more cautious in their local Aldi if they knew someone in the area had caught it.

Would anyone here* care if other people knew they had it?

*Exceptions for those people dismissing it who end up floored by it, or the alleged "doom-mongers" who just get sniffles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Hurrache wrote: »
    They simply aren't.

Of course they are. Not sure why the HSE are suddenly being treated as omniscient just because there is a pandemic on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

if a person is asymptomatic is it 14 days you carry the virus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

They simply aren't.

Explain how they aren't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

robbiezero wrote: »
    Explain how they aren't?

nobody can question, now fall in line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

High Humidity reduces spread of virus especially when added to poor ventilation (schools/offices/homes etc in winter ? :( ). Temperature not necessarily a factor.

Issue appears to be:

- indoors when cold and turn on heating
    - indoors when warm and turn on air conditioning

Indoor heating ( and air conditioning) dries out air. This is why winter might be an issue for spread in indoor settings.

Why? Possibly because in higher humidity more water/moisture attaches to virus and basically it drags it down (virus doesn’t suspend in air as long). That’s my layman explanation as I understand it.

I wonder does some of this explain Scandinavian numbers. Would they be more used to the cold and as such maybe they don’t need (cool) air conditioning since March (when outbreak started). But maybe in winter if they like to heat up their houses they may see a bit of a spike.

domrush wrote: »
    Of course they are. Not sure why the HSE are suddenly being treated as omniscient just because there is a pandemic on.

No, they aren't. Nobody is entitled to question him bar his employers. There's proper, well known, methods to raise questions with the government, you don't circumvent them and go straight to a public servant.

The GAA were petulant dicks naming him in a public statement and demanding he meets them.

Someone else had compared them to the FAI, the FAI in this are a model of professionalism with how they've been working with the state, as opposed to stamping their feet and demanding meetings with named individuals.
    Explain how they aren't?
    copeyhagen wrote: »
    nobody can question, now fall in line.

You guys are pretty naïve as to how things work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Once we open the school that's the big red button that says do not touch. It's going to be like wildfire.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/children-may-carry-more-covid-19-in-systems-than-previously-thought-study-39464491.html

"STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Sweden’s decision to keep schools open during the pandemic resulted in no higher rate of infection among its schoolchildren than in neighbouring Finland, where schools did temporarily close, their public health agencies said in a joint report."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

"STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Sweden’s decision to keep schools open during the pandemic resulted in no higher rate of infection among its schoolchildren than in neighbouring Finland, where schools did temporarily close, their public health agencies said in a joint report."

Sadly most people are reluctant to look at real world evidence and prefer to believe the worst case theoretical scenario.

"In a study of 192 children aged 0-22"

:D hmmmm

Yeah because as we all know Scandanavian class sizes are comparable to Irish ones. Oh and they didn't cut them in half again, making our classrooms have on average four times more children in contact with each other. Anyone still plugging the argument that "other countries have schools open and it's fine" either haven't read or thought anything at all about our plan, have children they're tired of and want to get rid of or are an actual murderer and want a lot of people to die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

"In a study of 192 children aged 0-22"

:D hmmmm
    Tbf, "children" is an apt description for people of many ages..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

s1ippy wrote: »
    Yeah because as we all know Scandanavian class sizes are comparable to Irish ones. Oh and they didn't cut them in half again, making our classrooms have on average four times more children in contact with each other. Anyone still plugging the argument that "other countries have schools open and it's fine" either haven't read or thought anything at all about our plan, have children they're tired of and want to get rid of or are an actual murderer and want a lot of people to die.

Just a shade hysterical, perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

No, they aren't. Nobody is entitled to question him bar his employers. There's proper, well known, methods to raise questions with the government, you don't circumvent them and go straight to a public servant.

The GAA were petulant dicks naming him in a public statement and demanding he meets them.

Someone else had compared them to the FAI, the FAI in this are a model of professionalism with how they've been working with the state, as opposed to stamping their feet and demanding meetings with named individuals.

You guys are pretty naïve as to who things work.

Balderdash.
    He has every right to refuse to meet with them, but anyone that wants can ASK him for a meeting or what sort of a state do we live in?
    They have rightly shown up the Government and NPHET for the absolute cluster-**** of nonsense these latest restrictions have been. Well done to them.

The plan is heard immunity, there's only 2 options and we're not taking the 0 Covid one.
    A vaccine may never appear it's not a viable option hanging around for one or locking down waiting for one.

ShyMets wrote: »
    Just a shade hysterical, perhaps.
    Yeah clearly not intended as hyperbole, great reading of it. Any other part you want to respond to or is the rest of it canon? Thanks

have children they're tired of and want to get rid of or are an actual murderer and want a lot of people to die.

Get a grip.

• Advertisement

Balderdash.
    He has every right to refuse to meet with them, but anyone that wants can ASK him for a meeting or what sort of a state do we live in?
    They have rightly shown up the Government and NPHET for the absolute cluster-**** of nonsense these latest restrictions have been. Well done to them.

We live in a state in which we have long established procedures, of which the GAA are fully aware of.

You're basically saying you can demand to meet the person in the Dept of Transport who may have took a day off which resulted in your motor tax cert being delayed in the post, balls to getting in touch through the regular route.

The GAA were dicks. They acted akin to "don't you know who we are?".

Well done to them.

You might want to take a look at the video he released explaining the reasoning, leaving egg on the GAAs face, as he simplified it enough for even them to understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Yeah clearly not intended as hyperbole, great reading of it. Any other part you want to respond to or is the rest of it canon? Thanks

Just this. I have two kids. One of which is of school going age and will be returning school. We've discussed this with both Grandparants and they are comfortable with our decision. They will continue to see they're grandparants, but with greater social distance.

We've want out child back in a school environment. Making that choice doesn't make us murders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭plodder

There will be an increase more than likely, but it's not like kids have been isolated from each other for the last few months entirely, and the mitigation measures might compensate to some extent for the increased mixing at second level.
    Hurrache wrote:
    The GAA were dicks.
    Was surprised by naming him as well. Made it look very personal. The statement had a real look like it was rushed out in frustration without being thought through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I will bite . Parents are also very concerned about their childrens education and life skills and social interaction . Anyone who knows anything about young children knows how vital this is .
    The absolute scandal is that the Department of Education left it far too late to organise the return to school .On March 28th there should have been a task force in place who had plans for every scenario and a plan for a good scenario and a bad scenario .But they didnt do what they are paid to do and now parents are left in this Limbo of a shambolic return .Schools are scrambling to get things in order while Ms Foley has disappeared off the face of the earth while Principles and teachers are doing their best with very little support

plodder wrote: »
    Was surprised by naming him as well. Made it look very personal. The statement had a real look like it was rushed out in frustration without being thought through.

'Anything Ryanair can do, we can do better.'.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement