Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Hurrache wrote: »
    We live in a state in which we have long established procedures, of which the GAA are fully aware of.

You're basically saying you can demand to meet the person in the Dept of Transport who may have took a day off which resulted in your motor tax cert being delayed in the post, balls to getting in touch through the regular route.

The GAA were dicks. They acted akin to "don't you know who we are?".

Yes. Of course I can. Why couldn't I? I more than likely won't get it, but I have every right to demand one.

The GAA don't expect to get an answer because they know there isn't one. They have ensured that this nonsense goes away on Sept 13 and wont be coming back. Job well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Eod100 wrote:
    Silly question, are there private labs in Ireland? Or do private hospitals outsource testing to public system?

Know places are doing antibody testing but doubt there's private places you can pay to get a test if not a close contact or asymptomatic?
    There are private labs. They are labs that provide laboratory testing for companies or referral testing for hospitals.

Some private hospitals also provide testing in their laboratories, but would only have a small test capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

robbiezero wrote: »
    Yes. Of course I can. Why couldn't I? I more than likely won't get it, but I have every right to demand one.

The GAA don't expect to get an answer because they know there isn't one. They have ensured that this nonsense goes away on Sept 13 and wont be coming back. Job well done.

Seriously, get real and stop digging. You have absolutely no right to demand a meeting with such an employee.

And like I said which you somehow missed, they did get a public answer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Jesus it's like Ryanair flight school in here with the amount of people with sh!t going over their heads.

Dm I'm personally not going for the herd immunity strategy, with good reason. Sweden, who popularised this approach (I would say made it infamous), have had the worst death rate since their last famine in the first half of this year. If Irish government makes that decision for people, scientists are coming out and highlighting the ethical and economic ramifications, including Tedros yesterday, so I'm not sure they'll be able to stand over it. Stumbling from lockdown to lockdown will ruin the country and its population. Our health service will be overwhelmed, we'll have no chance but to spend a long winter indoors, needless deaths and poor health will follow and our economy will get f'd regardless.

I was just thinking yesterday, I actually left my teaching job so as not to be part of that strategy. I feel incredibly bad for my former colleagues and I'm doing everything I can from my new job to try and highlight the dangers. I asked my friend (secondary teacher) how he was feeling yesterday and he said he'll just have to get on with it, they're front line workers now. Knowing that 1/3 of them got the virus and at least eight died in spite of adequate PPE, social distancing, sanitation, ventilation and heating, I didn't know what to say.
    iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I will bite . Parents are also very concerned about their childrens education and life skills and social interaction . Anyone who knows anything about young children knows how vital this is .
    The absolute scandal is that the Department of Education left it far too late to organise the return to school .On March 28th there should have been a task force in place who had plans for every scenario and a plan for a good scenario and a bad scenario .But they didnt do what they are paid to do and now parents are left in this Limbo of a shambolic return .Schools are scrambling to get things in order while Ms Foley has disappeared off the face of the earth while Principles and teachers are doing their best with very little support
    I agree 100%.

Seriously, get real and stop digging. You have absolutely no right to demand a meeting with such an employee.

And like I said which you somehow missed, they did get a public answer.

I have the right to demand anything I want to demand.

Link to where they got a public answer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Goldengirl wrote:
    I think Martina 1991 would have something to say about that . The system is underfunded and they dismantled the spare capacity when things went a bit quiet ...all the while we have been warned that a 2 nd wave would hit sometime in August if it was going to happen 😲
    I think the current issues are to do with administration, communication of results and contact tracing. Lab capacity that took months to build up is still in place. That hasn't been dismantled. Staff are running on fumes though.

In the beginning, contact tracers were healthcare workers whose work was impacted by the crisis so were trained and redeployed as tracers.

Now that hospitals are back to normal, those HCW are gone back to their day jobs, so who's contact tracing now.
    Maybe there weren't enough contact tracers trained up when our numbers fell, before these huge cluster outbreaks.

Annual leave also wasn't permitted for months. Now HSE can take leave, and have to use it up by April as you cant carry it over. So all depts are down staff as well, taking much needed time off.
    This is just my opinion.

The GAA took the correct approach IMO. Everybody is complaining to TD's and it isn't achieving enough. Going public really adds the pressure.

Link to where they got a public answer?

Gylnn's video was posted a couple of pages back.
    The GAA took the correct approach IMO. Everybody is complaining to TD's and it isn't achieving enough. Going public really adds the pressure.

It didn't work, they got no meeting, and nothing was changed, and made them look like fools.

FFS, a sporting organisation demanding a meeting with the person responsible for dealing with the worse pandemic in over a century. What a ****ing neck.

https://twitter.com/offtheball/status/1295981838033461248

Not a screed of empirical evidence of transmission of cases from outdoor sports as the GAA knew there wouldn't be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

plodder wrote: »
    There will be an increase more than likely, but it's not like kids have been isolated from each other for the last few months entirely, and the mitigation measures might compensate to some extent for the increased mixing at second level.
    It's very easy to spot the people here who don't have kids.

Rightly or wrongly, for the last 4 months every child in the country has been off lockdown. Mixing in local groups, playing outside and inside for 8 hours a day. Going to playdates & sleepovers. No social distancing, no masks, climbing all over eachother. This is as true for 16 year olds as it is for 6 year olds. I've seen them hanging around the shopping centres in large groups.

Anyone who thinks that putting them into school is akin to unlocking the gates and unleashing a whole new vector, clearly has no idea.

If children mixing was a huge problem, we'd have seen it kick in months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

seamus wrote: »

Rightly or wrongly, for the last 4 months every child in the country has been off lockdown. Mixing in local groups, playing outside and inside for 8 hours a day. Going to playdates & sleepovers. No social distancing, no masks, climbing all over eachother.

Anyone who thinks that putting them into school is akin to unlocking the gates and unleashing a whole new vector, clearly has no idea.

This might reflect your kids experience, don't assume that others are a feckless with theirs.

Not a screed of empirical evidence of transmission of cases from outdoor sports as the GAA knew there wouldn't be.

Well now I'm not at all surprised that you completely fail to understand what the issue is, it's right there in your post.

You obviously just don't get it, nor have you watched Glynn's simple explainer.

It didn't work, they got no meeting, and nothing was changed, and made them look like fools.

FFS, a sporting organisation demanding a meeting with the person responsible for dealing with the worse pandemic in over a century. What a ****ing neck.

They'll all be onto their TD's as well.
    It all adds pressure.

As more and more people start doing it, eventually something has to give.

Public opinion is changing. So it is working

Deffo. If any more of this nonsense arrives at the next cabinet meeting, it wont see the light of day.
    Good days work from the GAA as always.

Given how closely they had worked with the health officials to provide a safe and badly needed environment for sport, they were entitled to feel aggrieved at restrictions that came out of nowhere.
    Why not recommend that spectators wear masks when travelling to/from games and at the games with the warning that the next step was restrictions on attendance (Still nonsense IMO, but at least it would have given some advance warning and a chance to work on it).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Seems as if the complaining to TDs might be getting somewhere. Few of them in the papers saying their phones are hopping and their inboxes are flooded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Rightly or wrongly, for the last 4 months every child in the country has been off lockdown. Mixing in local groups, playing outside and inside for 8 hours a day. Going to playdates & sleepovers. No social distancing, no masks, climbing all over eachother.

Wow, that's news to me. Someone must be taking my children while I'm not looking.

This is the fcucking level of stupidity you're dealing with here folks.

Rightly or wrongly, for the last 4 months every child in the country has been off lockdown. Mixing in local groups, playing outside and inside for 8 hours a day. Going to playdates & sleepovers. No social distancing, no masks, climbing all over eachother. This is as true for 16 year olds as it is for 6 year olds. I've seen them hanging around the shopping centres in large groups.

I've posted more or less this in the GAA thread yesterday. Kids are mixing on their streets, mixing in their summer camps, and mix when sports training returned.

They're basically in a very big bubble, which, for the most part, will be reflected in school as they tend to (at primary level anyway) stick within the same groups inside and out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Not sure point of leaks like this to the media. https://twitter.com/PatLeahyIT/status/1296360220382367750?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I will bite . Parents are also very concerned about their childrens education and life skills and social interaction . Anyone who knows anything about young children knows how vital this is .
    The absolute scandal is that the Department of Education left it far too late to organise the return to school .On March 28th there should have been a task force in place who had plans for every scenario and a plan for a good scenario and a bad scenario .But they didnt do what they are paid to do and now parents are left in this Limbo of a shambolic return .Schools are scrambling to get things in order while Ms Foley has disappeared off the face of the earth while Principles and teachers are doing their best with very little support

Agreed. As a teacher and a parent I feel let down. I was asked to work online from March and did so giving 110%. I know not every teacher gave 110% but I along with my colleagues were lead to believe that the Dept were working on a plan, the NCCA working on the curriculum and a plan would be issued in June. As I said elsewhere we were given "bespoke solutions", a letdown for teachers. The HSE then issued a document, and feeling overshadowed the Dept released an interim document before releasing the July guidelines we are working with now.

I read the guidelines and feel let down, we keep being told we are in the midst of a pandemic and there are changes everywhere in our society except schools, where there has been no real change from March. We talk of bubbles and pods but we know its political speech for classes and groups, same as we have used for years and other coronaviruses such as colds and flu fly through them.

The government even went against their own roadmap to reopening the country of a phased reopening of schools. They issue directions and dont even seem to understand them themselves.

Leo says there will be clusters in schools, and casually shifts the blame to schools by saying, will it be the fault of the schools, probably not.
    Eammon Ryan admits that there are contradictions in the safety advice but schools are essential so be it.

Stephen Donnelly tells us that schools are controlled environments and homes are not. Also that he is worried for his own 3 children returning to primary school.

Norma is not available for questions

They have let down the children and their families and me. I did as I was asked and will be back next week welcoming children. My children will be going back to their primary schools with masks and see their friends which is good. But they have fuked up and have lost me along with many others. I have no faith in them and will do all I can to keep children in my care safe and happy but honestly think the government is a clusterfuk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Where's the evidence that sports games and training are spreaders of covid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,744 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

]

Its funny, its seems half of people absolutely agree with the GAA and the other half are appalled. Personally I think they did nothing wrong, the government are making massive decisions that affect people's lives, asking for the evidence behind them isn't outrageous. Its precisely how democracy is supposed to work.

They'll all be onto their TD's as well.
    It all adds pressure.

As more and more people start doing it, eventually something has to give.

Public opinion is changing. So it is working

If anything changes as a result of cry babies whinging to their TDs over a basic principal of managing a pandemic, then things are not working, not working at all.

Where's the evidence that sports games and training are spreaders of covid?

I didn't say they were, did I?

How can you be still a stranger to the potential of community transmission 6 months into the pandemic in Ireland?

Well now I'm not at all surprised that you completely fail to understand what the issue is, it's right there in your post.

You obviously just don't get it, nor have you watched Glynn's simple explainer.

Go ahead then. If its that simple explain it to me?

And also answer how 50 people indoors in a cinema is deemed safer than 50 people outdoors at a match with 19 times less chance of transmission?
    Same for pubs and restaurants etc.
    If carpooling is an issue, do they think when groups meet in a pub or restaurant that they are all taking their own car. At least I hope not.

Off you go then. I'm all ears.

This might reflect your kids experience, don't assume that others are a feckless with theirs.
    One thing about having kids is that you can't raise them in isolation. You talk to other parents, you hear about other families. Especially when you're in a crisis, everyone is talking about what they are and aren't doing.

I'm not assuming that other families are doing these things, I know they are.

You'll be searching long and hard to find a family who have been enforcing social distancing and mask wearing on their kids when playing with others.

• Advertisement

Why not recommend that spectators wear masks when travelling to/from games and at the games with the warning that the next step was restrictions on attendance (Still nonsense IMO, but at least it would have given some advance warning and a chance to work on it).

You're all over the place. We can all imagine the whinging, from you included, if this was recommend instead. Hilarious suggestion.

Blondini wrote: »
    Wow, that's news to me. Someone must be taking my children while I'm not looking.

So you think summer camps and GAA/Soccer etc haven't returned?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Eod100 wrote: »
    Not sure point of leaks like this to the media. https://twitter.com/PatLeahyIT/status/1296360220382367750?s=19

clickbait-a dozen in hospital never heard of him

AdamD wrote: »
    Its funny, its seems half of people absolutely agree with the GAA and the other half are appalled. Personally I think they did nothing wrong, the government are making massive decisions that affect people's lives, asking for the evidence behind them isn't outrageous. Its precisely how democracy is supposed to work.

But this is the problem, the spectacular failure as to the reasoning behind the measures.

The restrictions aren't because they're saying sports are spreading it, it's in order to limit the potential for community transmission, especially with that number rising.

Put aside all the other stuff they announced, it's a mess, but this is the most basic measure to try control community transmission in a country.

The very same people arguing against this at the moment were probably complaining that we didn't shut down our borders and airports. It's the very same, but on a more local scale.

You're all over the place. We can all imagine the whinging, from you included, if this was recommend instead. Hilarious suggestion.

And what they came up with has been a roaring success has it?
    Absolute disaster for the Government.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

So you think summer camps and GAA/Soccer etc haven't returned?

Don't give a crapp. Nothing to do with what I said.

I was responding to the imbecile that said EVERY child was having sleepovers etc.

G' luck.

If anything changes as a result of cry babies whinging to their TDs over a basic principal of managing a pandemic, then things are not working, not working at all.

Things will change.
    The will of the people is fading fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Blondini wrote: »

Are you part of an Amish community? Just about every child in the country has been behaving exactly as Seamus described.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

I'm at a bit of a loss to why the GAA are having a problem with the approach of the government towards Covid. It stinks as much as the rugby lads moaning about the Italian match being cancelled back in March.

Things will change.

They won't. The reality is that people give or take the measures since the outbreak, the last couple of weeks it's basically like it has gone away for many people.

But the state won't just say feic it, away you go folks, and back down on the basic principals of pandemic management because Joe wants to watch his kids U9 match several towns over the weekend.

Things will change.

The virus could care less about people's will.

s1ippy wrote: »
    Yeah because as we all know Scandanavian class sizes are comparable to Irish ones. Oh and they didn't cut them in half again, making our classrooms have on average four times more children in contact with each other. Anyone still plugging the argument that "other countries have schools open and it's fine" either haven't read or thought anything at all about our plan, have children they're tired of and want to get rid of or are an actual murderer and want a lot of people to die.

Massive leap there to jump to four times more children in Irish classroom.

Latest OECD data for Finland is 19.6 and Sweden 19.5, and for Ireland its 24 to 25. Not great but not massively different. Also, I have yet to find anything to say Sweden cut classes in half.

Here is a direct quote from an Irish parent of a child in a Swedish school
    Of course though, you can’t compare like for like. In Sweden, class sizes are much smaller than in Ireland, teaching resources much higher. My son has 26 in his class with one teacher and two teaching assistants at a minimum.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/abroad/irish-parents-on-schools-reopening-abroad-it-has-gone-suprisingly-smoothly-1.4269774

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Why was Stephen Donnelly going on about trampolines last night? He's about as useful as a broken one.

"STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Sweden’s decision to keep schools open during the pandemic resulted in no higher rate of infection among its schoolchildren than in neighbouring Finland, where schools did temporarily close, their public health agencies said in a joint report."

How many people per classroom though per sq.m?

• Advertisement

I'm at a bit of a loss to why the GAA are having a problem with the approach of the government towards Covid. It stinks as much as the rugby lads moaning about the Italian match being cancelled back in March.

Yes everyone has to take their medicine now and not be selfishly thinking of their own sector in isolation. We are headed for a lockdown if this fails.

Yeah but they weren't all crammed into a room with 29 other kids were they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Did they not say it was about people meeting up before and after in large groups. They said clusters can be traced back to this.
    The sport itself and the training is probably low risk if togging in and out managed correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭plodder

It might suit politicians to let the CMO take the heat, but it's naive of the likes of the GAA to let politicians off the hook like that. The decisions are made by the government. And I've said it before, they shouldn't just be rubber stamping what NPHET recommends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Not true of every child. Our kids have not had playdates, parties or sleepovers, have not been inside other people's homes except for my Mum's, have not been in any shopping centres etc. They both wear Masks indoors at my Mum's and social distance. The only thing they have done where social distancing is not possible all the time is to go back to GAA. They also do another outdoor sport which is an individual rather than a team sport. They have met with friends individually in nearby parks but not groups.

Eod100 wrote: »
    It's not really "leaks".

"Public health experts" can mean members of NPHET, or a professor of immunology in Limerick who's been asked for a comment by a reporter, but has no input into public policy.

Academics are very much all about "lock everything down until its gone", and keep pushing this line. Because they are disconnected from the more complex wider world. Professors in universities get paid regardless of what's happening.

Prof. Tomás Ryan has been banging on about zero Covid and an all-island approach for months now. He's academically right; it's the logical approach.

But his insistence on talking about it demonstrates how separated he is from the economic and political reality. What should be done and what can be done are two very different things and continually banging on about what should be done, doesn't make it more likely.

This is what's going on when the media talk about "second lockdown". If cases continue to rise, it's what should be done. It's what the academics say will help. But it won't be done. Because it's can't be. A second lockdown would be economic collapse. All of those businesses that are still now struggling to reopen, would have to call it a day permanently. Everyone who went onto PUP and back off it again, would be back. Permanently.

Inside a week we'd have a million people on the actual dole and no jobs to return them to after lockdown.

Any lockdown measures we return to, will end up being purely social in nature and little else. Maybe a "stay in your county" rule, but with an exception for going to hotels or B&Bs.

What we need are long-term rules for reducing mixing, and Garda powers to enforce them, such as the power to disperse house parties and large groups outdoors.

If ever there was a false equivalence this is it. 50,000 people in a stadium vs 50. And also, I don't believe there was much complaint about the Italy match being cancelled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

One thing about having kids is that you can't raise them in isolation. You talk to other parents, you hear about other families. Especially when you're in a crisis, everyone is talking about what they are and aren't doing.

I'm not assuming that other families are doing these things, I know they are.

You'll be searching long and hard to find a family who have been enforcing social distancing and mask wearing on their kids when playing with others.

I agree to a point with you. I don’t think I can lock up my children (all primary school age) and I don’t think teaching them to socially distance (2 meters from friends and wear mask all the time) is possible without following them everywhere. Children are children. A calculated risk assessment mean that we felt for the last few months our children are fine playing with children in our estate. 29 people in 10,000 in our area have tested positive to date, if the numbers change dramatically we may amend things.

But 30 children in a class/indoors for hours is not the same as one or two or three children playing together. It’s not even the same as a sleepover (although we don’t do them). It’s a completely different level of factors. I know one of my Children’s friends is going home to wales for a week or two, I’m not so sure they will be isolating when they get back and I will be interested to see if they inform the school they were away.. I’d imagine there will be children in all My kids classes whose parents are not as compliant or educated on being responsible as others.

I’m nearly more concerned with how the schools reopening are being handled. I haven’t been informed of exactly what to expect, with less then 2 weeks to go it doesn’t inspire confidence. It really does look like the government and dept of education has put all focus on opening schools with zero contingency plans. As somebody said , it’s like putting your foot on the accelerator when there is a red light and hoping that the light will be green by the time you get to the lights. Regardless of How it plays out, its wreckless and awful planning. A phased reopening at least might of been a reasonable compromise.

Yes everyone has to take their medicine now and not be selfishly thinking of their own sector in isolation. We are headed for a lockdown if this fails.

Exactly my point. I know sport is important for peoples health both mentally and physically but it's not a priority. We need to get kids back to school safely and places of business back open or else we are going back to the dark ages of the 1980's in terms of our economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Drumpot wrote: »

But 30 children in a class/indoors for hours is not the same as one or two or three children playing together. It’s not even the same as a sleepover (although we don’t do them). It’s a completely different level of factors. I know one of my Children’s friends is going home to wales for a week or two, I’m not so sure they will be isolating when they get back and I will be interested to see if they inform the school they were away.. I’d imagine there will be children in all My kids classes whose parents are not as compliant or educated on being responsible as others.

I’m nearly more concerned with how the schools reopening are being handled. I haven’t been informed of exactly what to expect, with less then 2 weeks to go it doesn’t inspire confidence. It really does look like the government and dept of education has put all focus on opening schools with zero contingency plans. As somebody said , it’s like putting your foot on the accelerator when there is a red light and hoping that the light will be green by the time you get to the lights. Regardless of How it plays out, its wreckless and awful planning. A phased reopening at least might of been a reasonable compromise.

Agree completely with this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement