Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

So the Taoiseach says there's no confusion about the latest restrictions when asked to explain why people are confused. Comical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Have they opened schools yet?
    Yep from 11 August.

The chances of a vaccine working and being safe are well over 50% after the last few weeks

I fully believe we will have a reasonably effective vaccine by next summer. Don't believe we should wait on it to open schools however. What if it doesn't work and we need to wait another 12 months? Better to get started, and learn how to live with it. THe only way to do that is to start actually living the reality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I wonder when UK will block us from entering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

A vaccine may never work - lets just leave the schools closed forever

Bit extreme. Calm down. Nice ad absurdum argument.
    is the form of argument that attempts to establish a claim by showing that the opposite scenario would lead to absurdity or contradiction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_absurdum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

That Stephen Donnelly interview is up there with any of the BS that Johnson or Trump would come up with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Random sample

SeaFields wrote: »
    So the Taoiseach says there's no confusion about the latest restrictions when asked to explain why people are confused. Comical.

Well I’m glad he’s cleared that up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

SeaFields wrote: »

Did he have his shoes on the correct feet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yep from 11 August.

I wonder if it's effecting the uptick in cases.

• Advertisement

Bit extreme. Calm down. Nice ad absurdum argument.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_absurdum

That is the approach I was taking - the schools have to open at some stage, and we will never know the best approach until we open, so we open now when things are relatively ok, always having the option to isolate pods and schools. If we keep waiting, we will never get to a point where opening the schools is lower risk than not opening

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I think the testing figures have been updated:
    Total positive tests in the last 24hrs: 154
    11,416 tests processed in the last 24hrs
    Positivity rate in the 24hrs: 1.34%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

polesheep wrote: »
    Did he have his shoes on the correct feet?

I believe his advisors will advise him on that matter shortly

That is the approach I was taking - the schools have to open at some stage, and we will never know the best approach until we open, so we open now when things are relatively ok, always having the option to isolate pods and schools. If we keep waiting, we will never get to a point where opening the schools is lower risk than not opening

Well the alternative extreme to that is open them and a large proportion of kids get a virus which affects their long term life expectancy and health outcomes.

There are some things you don't need empirical evidence for to make a decision.
    The density of our school population is such that spread is probable.
    The incubation of the disease and the fact 80% of infection events occur before symptoms mean that by the time the result of the experiment results are in you can't control it.

This is as much a physics problem as it is a biological one. Especially the airborne / aerosol nature of particles.

https://twitter.com/nntaleb/status/1116088494152142848?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Wolf359f wrote: »
    I think the testing figures have been updated:
    Total positive tests in the last 24hrs: 154
    11,416 tests processed in the last 24hrs
    Positivity rate in the 24hrs: 1.34%

Crap that's a high enough positive tests figure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Green list day! What's the betting they cancel it altogether?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Massive amount of tests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The whole Theatres/Concerts thing was to appease the Blue tick singers/actors of the Arts industry and their lobby groups. This has created a cluster**** as the Sports Industry are saying what about us?

This is what happens when you have people in power running government as a PR Company. And a rubbish PR Company at that.

Massive amount of tests

True but all the majority of people will see is the positive test figures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Green list day! What's the betting they cancel it altogether?
    Third highest rate in EU according to RTE news. Perhaps the other countries will put us on the red list and do us a favour.

As far as I know that’s one of our highest if not the highest testing figures ever?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Massive amount of tests

Yeah but unfortunately it looks to be around 70 cases per 5000 tests the past few weeks. Not a good sign it being so consistent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

So basically we've barely had a week with over 50,000 tests? If it's like this with half how was capacity for 100,000 ever anyway realistic? https://twitter.com/RTENewsAtOne/status/1296424546594103298?s=19

As far as I know that’s one of our highest if not the highest testing figures ever?

Second highest according to Paul Reid just now. 60k in April was the highest.

Massive amount of tests

Positivity rate is staying stable the past 4 days.
    Not good, not great.

It's annoying, the UK had a 300+ cluster in a sandwich factory, Germany 1000+ in a meat factory and looking at their daily cases you can see a single spike on the day they tested positive and then quickly went down to normal.
    Here the daily cases are all over the place, up and down like a yo-yo. A sure sign the testing is all over the place and the clusters were allowed spill over into the community. But sure restrict gyms and spectators, that will solve the issue.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Second highest according to Paul Reid just now. 60k in April was the highest.

I mean the 11,416 done in the last 24hrs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

The whole Theatres/Concerts thing was to appease the Blue tick singers/actors of the Arts industry and their lobby groups. This has created a cluster**** as the Sports Industry are saying what about us?

This is what happens when you have people in power running government as a PR Company. And a rubbish PR Company at that.

I would think economically and socially GAA would have far more influence and that's just one organisation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If that's how you see it then you are missing at least one of the joys of parenting.
    Here's this nonsense again. Yes, it's the end of the world if you can't sit and watch your child play matches for a year.

This is a temporary measure. We just have to suck it up. The primary purpose of a match is practice and exercise. Parents being able to watch is a bonus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

We've had a few more restrictions placed upon us this week.

Have they done anything about meat factories and workplaces which started this increase?

The staff in the meat factories were crying out for PPE and look at them now.

I know two large companies and there's no masks in use. These two companies are in the same town and if staff get sick, our hospitals won't be able to take them all.

What are they waiting for to introduce mandatory masks in all indoor workplaces?

Crossed wires. I was on about the weekly figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

It is the second highest, 12,076 on May 2nd. We did 11,337 on Aug 14th.

• Advertisement

Latest referral data
    Remain relatively stable - spikes in counties Carlow, Donegal, Limerick, Wexford (the most) and Wicklow after the weekend
    https://tomorrowscare.ie/covid/2020-08-19_COVID_GP_Survey_Results.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Lack of transparency and illogical decision making has put us in a very bad position. The next few weeks are going to be very tough.

https://twitter.com/TJRyan_77/status/1296424925209780227

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Yeah but unfortunately it looks to be around 70 cases per 5000 tests the past few weeks. Not a good sign it being so consistent

I'd expect the positivity rate to drop in proportion to the tests. The stable positivity rate over 4 days (1.3%) and the number of tests have been double 1 day, half the next day. Screams that there's massive widespread cases wherever the majority of their testing is focused on.
    Definitely not a good sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The reason they brought in the sport must be played behind closed doors restriction is because it's one of the easiest thing they can do.

The risk of a few people being at an outdoor sporting event isn't high compared to other activities. But some of these other activities are more essential from an economic or social perspective, so that risk is weighed as worth taking, for now.

So you've got to see where else you can make small gains on hopefully controlling the spread of the virus and lessening the chances of people spreading it, even if certain activities are lower in risk than other ones that are allowed to continue. The question is how essential they are and do they really need to happen if they can be avoided. And like it or not spectator sports are one of these activities. They aren't essential and despite how many people will say different banning spectator sports, as they currently are with only a tiny fraction of normal crowds allowed, is a pretty easy and quick measure.

It doesn't stop the sports being played, games can still go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

A vaccine may never work - lets just leave the schools closed forever

Finally some common sense, no point in opening the schools if its just going to kill more people.

Leave them closed 'til a better solution is available. Saving lives is the most important thing here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Eod100 wrote: »
    I would think economically and socially GAA would have far more influence and that's just one organisation

Oh don't worry, they'll get their way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Another DP outbreak, this time in Bray:

https://twitter.com/masi_asylum/status/1296423931646181376

Eod100 wrote: »
    Allow time for normal flu season to pass, allow time for cases to decrease, allow time for schools to be better prepared for physical teaching. What does rushing kids back to school for "normality" achieve when they're going back to an alien and unfamiliar environment with all the changes that need to be made?

Common sense, on boards.ie?

You must be lost mate. Only OTT, irrational knee-jerk reactions to promote your own personal agenda are allowed here.

Latest referral data
    Remain relatively stable - spikes in counties Carlow, Donegal, Limerick, Wexford (the most) and Wicklow after the weekend
    https://tomorrowscare.ie/covid/2020-08-19_COVID_GP_Survey_Results.pdf
    A lot of swabs taken again yesterday; ~11,000. I'm very glad to see a lot of mass testing now taking place, but it does mean that we can expect new cases to remain in the 75-150 range for the next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Does anyone know if they are still limiting the sale of hand sanitizers in shops?

I like the small bottles that fit into the pocket and need to pick up one but they're so small, that I want to pick up a few.

DP definitely getting hit hard recently

seamus wrote: »
    A lot of swabs taken again yesterday; ~11,000. I'm very glad to see a lot of mass testing now taking place, but it does mean that we can expect new cases to remain in the 75-150 range for the next few days.

I'd take that for a few days if that means getting through all the outbreaks in factories across the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Stephen Donnelly interview being discussed on Liveline now.

Ridiculous stuff

DP definitely getting hit hard recently
    I'm surprised it's held out till now tbh. I've no idea how we've managed to keep Covid out of these high-density environments like DP and low-wage factory workers, until now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

wadacrack wrote: »
    The next few weeks are going to be very tough.

I'm constantly hearing soundbites like this and it's getting tiresome.

Until the hospital numbers start to increase significantly from current levels there's absolutely no need for people to panic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I wonder when UK will block us from entering?

Who cares?:pac:

El Sueño wrote: »
    I'm constantly hearing soundbites like this and it's getting tiresome.

You're right, the next few weeks will be piss easy.

I am off to Marbs with the lads, no need for any cares in the world whatsoever, the kids will be safe in school and my job is safe as can be.

Happy days indeed.

We've had a few more restrictions placed upon us this week.

Have they done anything about meat factories and workplaces which started this increase?

The staff in the meat factories were crying out for PPE and look at them now.

I know two large companies and there's no masks in use. These two companies are in the same town and if staff get sick, our hospitals won't be able to take them all.

What are they waiting for to introduce mandatory masks in all indoor workplaces?

Paul Reid’s press conference was good there.
    Saying that there factors at play beyond their control.

Companies not giving employees sick pay was called out. They can do sweat f-all if these factories won’t pay their imported labour while quarantining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,628 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

wadacrack wrote: »
    Lack of transparency and illogical decision making has put us in a very bad position. The next few weeks are going to be very tough.

https://twitter.com/TJRyan_77/status/1296424925209780227

How can some be waiting nearly up to 5 days for a test then still?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement