Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

El Sueño wrote: »
    I'm constantly hearing soundbites like this and it's getting tiresome.

Until the hospital numbers start to increase significantly from current levels there's absolutely no need for people to panic.

Its being realistic, blind optimism is just stupid at this stage. Not a soundbite their is obvious evidence of what is likely to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,628 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Does anyone know if they are still limiting the sale of hand sanitizers in shops?

I like the small bottles that fit into the pocket and need to pick up one but they're so small, that I want to pick up a few.

I think 4 was max at once, I got 6 at once in Dealz

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

wadacrack wrote: »
    Lack of transparency and illogical decision making has put us in a very bad position. The next few weeks are going to be very tough.

https://twitter.com/TJRyan_77/status/1296424925209780227

Tomas Ryan doesn't realise you can't add medians of different populations together. How an academic can have such poor knowledge of basic statistics I don't know.

That's before even mentioning that the medians he's mentioning don't reflect the full population tested, just certain cohorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,628 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Paul Reid’s press conference was good there.
    Saying that there factors at play beyond their control.

Companies not giving employees sick pay was called out. They can do sweat f-all if these factories won’t pay their imported labour while quarantining.

It is good to see Paul Reid back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Does anyone know if they are still limiting the sale of hand sanitizers in shops?

I like the small bottles that fit into the pocket and need to pick up one but they're so small, that I want to pick up a few.

I don't think they're limited now, lots of shops that never sold it before have small bottles by the counter as impulse buys. Alternatively, keep the small bottles and fill them up from a larger one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

154 positive swabs today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yep, bet the new 5 year olds can't wait for that.

Nobody is saying its ideal but I don't think many are acknowledging how strange going back will be for them with all the changes. Another issue what's the contingency of there's clusters in schools? Even delay it a few weeks to get all these issues ironed out. Do people want their kids to be effective Guinea pigs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

It's unbelievable, we have to stay in groups of 6 and 15 so that the factories and DP centres can run how they like,it's unbelievable. How about sorting the places that have 100s of cases and let people enjoy watching a sports game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Are there very subtle hints appearing that those in power are coming around to the fact that lockdown is not an option (whether considered over-reacting or not), eradication is close to impossible, and that it might in fact be better to attempt to get back to normal while shielding the elderly, where possible?

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but very few governments will come out and say "back at it everyone, except the elderly", but even with the mixed messaging in MM speech, it was practically "we can't lockdown the elderly, but ffs do your best to avoid it."

Seems like they didn't like the chances of it "running through the healthy" but now it's happening and running through younger people, with more evidence of lots of asymptomatics?

I dunno, just thinking out loud here, seemed to be maybe leaning that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

"the overall message is very, very clear." is it yeah ? Because two departments didn't even know yesterday what the correct advise was

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1296435043070611463?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

Amirani wrote: »
    Tomas Ryan doesn't realise you can't add medians of different populations together. How an academic can have such poor knowledge of basic statistics I don't know.

That's before even mentioning that the medians he's mentioning don't reflect the full population tested, just certain cohorts.

While this is true and he's not correct about what the median total lead time is - surely in an evenly distributed data set - there shouldn't be a 50% delta between the median total lead time of 2.3 day and the sum of the individual median's of 3.7...

that would indicate some absolutely massive outliers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

"the overall message is very, very clear." is it yeah ? Because two departments didn't even know yesterday what the correct advise was

Whatever Martin is on I'd like to try some

Clear as bath water

I'd love to see him try to sell another lockdown country wide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

"Hi, I'm confused"

Taoiseach "No, you're not, go away."

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

Oranage2 wrote: »
    It's unbelievable, we have to stay in groups of 6 and 15 so that the factories and DP centres can run how they like,it's unbelievable. How about sorting the places that have 100s of cases and let people enjoy watching a sports game.

I find this really unfair too. I’m in Kildare nowhere near the outbreaks. Initially I thought it was fair enough to impose restrictions on LOK but I assumed they would also have strong targeted restrictions on the factories and the DP centres to try and control this thing. I feel these factories have way too much power and are prioritised over all other citizens and businesses.

Clear as mud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Until the hospital numbers start to increase significantly from current levels there's absolutely no need for people to panic.

The idea is to stop the hospitals filling up. If they fill up again all kinds of other procedures will have to be cancelled as it won’t be safe for people with many illnesses to be in hospitals.

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    DP definitely getting hit hard recently

Hate to say it but it looks like it is spreading from DP centre to DP centre and on to low paid work environments in the vicinity of those centres. If the way we have accommodated what is ultimately a small number of people has been a significant contributor to resurgent spread, it is a damming indictment on how we have managed the issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

It's too late when that happens. Everything we are doing is to prevent that otherwise will become Bergamo or New York.

• Advertisement

FF set up DP around 2000, lot of people awarded contracts either FF donors or connections with FF. It's been inhumane for years. Shatter compared it to prisoner of war camp when in oppositon but changed his tune when he was justice minister. So many preventable issues due to government policies and actions. Hate this idea that everything is inevitable. It only is if you're not willing to change. Sorry rant over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Are there very subtle hints appearing that those in power are coming around to the fact that lockdown is not an option (whether considered over-reacting or not), eradication is close to impossible, and that it might in fact be better to attempt to get back to normal while shielding the elderly, where possible?

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but very few governments will come out and say "back at it everyone, except the elderly", but even with the mixed messaging in MM speech, it was practically "we can't lockdown the elderly, but ffs do your best to avoid it."

Seems like they didn't like the chances of it "running through the healthy" but now it's happening and running through younger people, with more evidence of lots of asymptomatics?

I think that what politicians are saying and even what public health official say is always eventually trumped by new circumstances and reality.

Four weeks ago Glynn was "uncertain, but optimistic" and now it's a completely different story.

Leo and MM have dropped quotes and hints throughout the summer that are now totally at odds with what actions they've taken since.

They're only words.

They can say they won't do it and they probably even believe they won't do it, but if there's no options then it'll be done. I don't think it's likely where we stand today, but the future is totally uncertain and people are putting too much faith in politician's pronouncements as guarantees.

SeaFields wrote: »
    "Hi, I'm confused"

Taoiseach "No, you're not, go away."

That was pretty much is response to journalists asking questions the other evening. Was very ratty and irritable. Probably a fairly fraught Cabinet discussion but still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Hate to say it but it looks like it is spreading from DP centre to DP centre and on to low paid work environments in the vicinity of those centres. If the way we have accommodated what is ultimately a small number of people has been a significant contributor to resurgent spread, it is a damming indictment on how we have managed the issue

True

Not sure how exactly we can accommodate all the people though when there is housing shortages as it is

Very tricky problem

The good old legally difficult lines being rolled out now.

Surely they would have looked into it before announcing it ?

https://twitter.com/MaryERegan/status/1296437224905609217?s=19

Would you not think they would pick up the phone to him before announcing it..?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

The HSE did indeed as suspected double count last nights numbers in ICU

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1296380658139443201?s=19

It was obvious they did but it didn't stop RTÉ telling us that 12 is ICU now.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Would you not think they would pick up the phone to him before announcing it..?!

You'd think so but nope

You'd think so but nope

Their like squabbling children. Someone needs to take a lead. Forget party politics and polls or whatever this is far top serious. Wonder would it be different if like in UK we had fixated term act so there would be less political gamesmanship

I understood that it was a "maybe" for the future. They were just floating the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Sunrise.Sunset

Do public health guidelines apply to doctors when they are not on duty?

I have close connections with a GP and his family and I witnessed some behaviour over the past few weeks as if the public health guidelines doesn't apply to him or his family or even the wider community.

1)his family came down with colds and they never tested for covid even though they had some coughing. What's worse is that they never isolated and they continued on with their lives as normal. The children all had play dates, sleep and attended to parties.

2) we have new guidelines to control the spread of the virus within home environments. From my connections, I know that's not being followed.

What hope is there for the rest of the population if a GP with all his years in college doesn't understand the public health guidelines?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If we dare to try and do anything about it at DP centers though you’ll have the more lunatic fringes of society screaming the race card.

Already sick of the amount of ‘passes’ people are trying to hand out to certain parts of society, absolving them from doing their bit, duty and responsibilities for us all.... if you are in DP you have an equal responsibility, if you are young, elderly, a business person, unemployed... all supposed to be in this together.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

While this is true and he's not correct about what the median total lead time is - surely in an evenly distributed data set - there shouldn't be a 50% delta between the median total lead time of 2.3 day and the sum of the individual median's of 3.7...

that would indicate some absolutely massive outliers?

The main difference is that the contact tracing time he's using is for positive cases only, he's ignoring the negatives that make up the massive majority of contact tracing.

He's also using the time to all contacts traced for positives, not the time to patient informed. Basically he's a neuroscientist professor that is trying to sound like an expert on something he doesn't even have basic data comprehension on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

It goes to show that’s it’s hard not to be cynical and start questioning all the hysteria and scaremongering that’s going on.isn’t amazing how now since deaths and hospitalised people are staying low the media is hyping up cases.

RTE can only report the numbers published. What are they to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

seamus wrote: »
    Here's this nonsense again. Yes, it's the end of the world if you can't sit and watch your child play matches for a year.

This is a temporary measure. We just have to suck it up. The primary purpose of a match is practice and exercise. Parents being able to watch is a bonus.

Rubbish, it is an important part of family life that memories are made from. You suck it up all day long if you like and watch the empty years go by, but the horse has bolted and there will be feck all compliance going forward.

I have close connections with a GP and his family and I witnessed some behaviour over the past few weeks as if the public health guidelines doesn't apply to him or his family or even the wider community.

1)his family came down with colds and they never tested for covid even though they had some coughing. What's worse is that they never isolated and they continued on with their lives as normal. The children all had play dates, sleep and attended to parties.

2) we have new guidelines to control the spread of the virus within home environments. From my connections, I know that's not being followed.

What hope is there for the rest of the population if a GP with all his years in college doesn't understand the public health guidelines?

College and /or intelligence is not an inoculation against idiocy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

The problem is, when it jumps up significantly, then it's at least 2-3 weeks too late to do anything. You're back being reactive.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

Did you report this to the appropriate authorities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Exactly as it should have been from the start.

Arghus wrote: »
    I understood that it was a "maybe" for the future. They were just floating the idea.

Nope it was a we're doing this and giving them extra power

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

RTE can only report the numbers published. What are they to do?

When the data doesn't look right, they should query it before reporting on it. That's journalism - a forgotten art, sadly! All the media seem to do these days is report press releases, there is very little attempt to analyse what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Sunrise.Sunset

Did you report this to the appropriate authorities?

Where does someone report it to?

Nope it was a we're doing this and giving them extra power

I disagree. I don't remember them saying they were definitely going to do it. They certainly never mentioned it explicitly in the press conference. It was the Gavin O' Reilly tweets about whispers that got the ball rolling.

You can point me to the quotes if I am mistaken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

seamus wrote:
    A lot of swabs taken again yesterday; ~11,000. I'm very glad to see a lot of mass testing now taking place, but it does mean that we can expect new cases to remain in the 75-150 range for the next few days.
    Thats swabs processed in laboratories.

If the throughout can stretch to over 11k tests a day which isn't full capacity, that to me indicates the reported delays are due to the communication of these results when mass testing is thrown into the mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

We should be the full 100k, 10k for close contacts and referrals and 90k random tests around the country. This would surely stop the virus. This test when youve symptoms is already too late, probably the person had the virus and spread it before they felt anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

We should be the full 100k, 10k for close contacts and referrals and 90k random tests around the country. This would surely stop the virus. This test when youve symptoms is already too late, probably the person had the virus and spread it before they felt anything
    If the close contacts are up to 50 apiece there are going to be delays anyway. Random tests are a waste of money, remember that €200 cost per test and we'd be back to the low positivity of early March where people had other things or nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

MM and the rest of the circus lineup knew there would be difficulties in what they were suggesting. There's a little matter of property rights which has been highlighted many times during the on going housing crisis. It is a toothless threat.
    To give AGS the power to go into a house without a warrant in the manner suggested would almost certainly need legislation which would involve a Dail vote but I suspect a referendum would be the most likely requirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

You're right, the next few weeks will be piss easy.

I am off to Marbs with the lads, no need for any cares in the world whatsoever, the kids will be safe in school and my job is safe as can be.

Happy days indeed.

Obviously that's not what I meant but you knew that already. Grow up ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

So we are looking at

1) over 100 cases reported today

2) under 100 cases reported and the rest of the positive tests from the last 24hrs added into Fridays confirmed number.

I'll guess on number 2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Arghus wrote: »
    I disagree. I don't remember them saying they were definitely going to do it. They certainly never mentioned it explicitly in the press conference. It was the Gavin O' Reilly tweets about whispers that got the ball rolling.

You can point me to the quotes if I am mistaken.

Donnelly was certainly suggesting giving AGS extra powers.

https://www.thejournal.ie/garda-powers-5180261-Aug2020/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement