Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

wadacrack wrote: »
    Its being realistic, blind optimism is just stupid at this stage. Not a soundbite their is obvious evidence of what is likely to happen.

Honestly didn't mean it as a dig at you, I agree blind optimism is stupid but look at it this way: two weeks ago we had 273 cases in 48 hours and the total number in hospital has only increased by 5 since then, I do feel the lack of people in hospital is a positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Donnelly was certainly suggesting giving AGS extra powers.

https://www.thejournal.ie/garda-powers-5180261-Aug2020/

Yes, but it was only hinted at as a possibility and while acknowledging that it was a complicated thing to bring into being and wouldn't happen with immediate effect.

They've only flown the odd kite, they haven't announced anything, as some people seem to have mistakenly thought, and it's definitely not a case of "we're doing it."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

Ah yeah because that'll work lads, particles don't move in the air or around screens.

https://twitter.com/ciaraphelan_/status/1296396611992653824?s=19

Omfg. This is lunacy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

When the data doesn't look right, they should query it before reporting on it. That's journalism - a forgotten art, sadly! All the media seem to do these days is report press releases, there is very little attempt to analyse what is going on.

Absolutely, as soon as the report came out last night, anyone who is familiar with it would have spotted something was off about it. I posted it, mentioned it seemed a bit odd and plenty of others said the same. Journalists should be familiar with it at this stage, but it's the same as publishing the numbers as they go up, and publishing the suspected case numbers when the actual numbers drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

The good old legally difficult lines being rolled out now.

Surely they would have looked into it before announcing it ?

https://twitter.com/MaryERegan/status/1296437224905609217?s=19

Again with the hinging an action on a dependency which is known to be nearly impossible.

Very similar to the ramping up testing with glamour locations but no capacity to process that. Of course that wasn't in the announcement and it took a couple of weeks for it to come out in the wash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

We are due a briefing today?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Sunrise.Sunset

College and /or intelligence is not an inoculation against idiocy

The new guidelines were added to the list of guidelines that we already have. I think the go sat down and actively thought how he could flaunt the guidelines. One of his teenagers held an end of summer party with another party planned for the weekend.

How can that GP realistically tell any of his patients with covid19 symptoms to isolate at home when he doesn't give a toss for the guidelines within his own private life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Looks like Waterford is going to be contributing to the numbers in the coming days

Darren Skelton reporting positive cases in

Sanofi, Rigney Dolphin, Cartamundi and Teva

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Strumms wrote: »
    If we dare to try and do anything about it at DP centers though you’ll have the more lunatic fringes of society screaming the race card.

Already sick of the amount of ‘passes’ people are trying to hand out to certain parts of society, absolving them from doing their bit, duty and responsibilities for us all.... if you are in DP you have an equal responsibility, if you are young, elderly, a business person, unemployed... all supposed to be in this together.

Isn't the very issue that people in DP can't take responsibility for their own health, because they aren't in a position to self-isolate?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

El Sueño wrote: »
    Honestly didn't mean it as a dig at you, I agree blind optimism is stupid but look at it this way: two weeks ago we had 273 cases in 48 hours and the total number in hospital has only increased by 5 since then, I do feel the lack of people in hospital is a positive.

It is but not sustainable with current transmission rates one would assume, we have nursing homes now seeing some cases. The virus hasn't changed from March. Unless their is hope on some of the T Cell related theories being true but that appears to be very optimistic thinking . Shielding of vulnerable people has'nt worked in any country which is a concern also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

So we are looking at

1) over 100 cases reported today

2) under 100 cases reported and the rest of the positive tests from the last 24hrs added into Fridays confirmed number.

I'll guess on number 2.

136 cases, 51 Dublin, 4 Kildare, 2 Offaly, no idea about the rest

Believe it or not I get the heads up from a sparks mate every day he is yet to be wrong ,Sends me it by 1230 every day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Believe it or not I get the heads up from a sparks mate every day he is yet to be wrong ,Sends me it by 1230 every day

Putting your neck on the line here :D

136 would be dissappointing after the last 2 days of postive test numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

Putting your neck on the line here :D

136 would be dissappointing after the last 2 days of postive test numbers.

I'll back my buddy :D
    Honestly iv no idea where he's getting his info but its stuns me he has been right so far,

So we shall wait and see if he is correct again today ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I'll back my buddy :D
    Honestly iv no idea where he's getting his info but its stuns me he has been right so far,

So we shall wait and see if he is correct again today ,

You'll justify your username.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

shinzon wrote: »
    Looks like Waterford is going to be contributing to the numbers in the coming days

Shin

4 factories? Mass testing finding these cases?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

4 in Kildare? I’d be bloody delighted. But we’ll see

Good visual metaphor for government strategy so far.

"oh fvck it's out of control, lockdown"
    "now that it's under control again we have to learn to live with the virus"
    "oh fvck it's out of control, lockdown LOK"
    "now that it's kinda under control we have to open schools for the economy"
    "oh fvck it's out of control, election"

https://twitter.com/DerekTVShow/status/1294727847790161920?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭redarmy

The Department of Health’s press conference will be at the later time of 6:30pm this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The Sun, back up the truck load of salt for the moment

New Zealand really in trouble with their massive outbreak. Goes to show that there's no point trying for zerocovid.
    https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1296211555105665024?s=20

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Must be good mates with someone in HSE or DOH.

4 factories? Mass testing finding these cases?

Have no idea ACE hopefully they are, funnily enough there all around where I work but im working from home at the moment thank feck.

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Onesea wrote: »
    Omfg. This is lunacy

I don’t see it as lunacy. If you, your Mam, Dad, Husband, Wife, boyfriend, girlfriend, son, daughter, best mate is a teacher and sees that... they think, ok, we have protection... we can teach with less worry, less risks...it’s safer, it’s protection... we can teach, go home to our loved ones... who will worry less, who are more safe.

It looks ungainly, it’s not ideal, but such is the world we are in, for the moment...

Now... can I get a ‘mental health’ bully... sorry advocate, to shout down these protective measures as children may be upset, their mental health in a jocker as they can’t be near teacher ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

8 more cases in the meat plant in Cahir

https://twitter.com/TippFM/status/1296455080502276096?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Better lockdown the county so the meat factories can run in peace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

What the heck in happening with all the meat factory cases. Does the virus tend to spread easier in cold environments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

shinzon wrote: »

Shin

Maybe I'm being naive but I would have thought that the two pharmaceutical companies there would have been a bit more proactive in prevention or is it a case of asymptomatic staff spreading it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

What the heck in happening with all the meat factory cases. Does the virus tend to spread easier in cold environments?

Think it has something to do with the pubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

do workers in these factories use masks while working?
    If not it has to be mandated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Surely the shutting of meat plants has to be considered at this stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

8 more cases in the meat plant in Cahir

https://twitter.com/TippFM/status/1296455080502276096?s=19

Need to close down all newsagents ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

No. Just bad working pay and conditions. It has been going on for years. but as long as it was only affecting the low paid employees, it didn't matter. We still continued to produce the best quality beef in the world .... apparently.

This was as inevitable as the initial outbreaks in the nursing homes, but you literally can't say a word against the sacred cows of highly protected industries. I am old enough to remember various meat factory and costly meat production associated scandals and investigations over many years. The beef industry must have cost the country dearly over many occasions through the years, and it didn't pay the price for any of them.

• Advertisement

Seamai wrote: »
    Maybe I'm being naive but I would have thought that the two pharmaceutical companies there would have been a bit more proactive in prevention or is it a case of asymptomatic staff spreading it?

It is probably a case of employees testing positive, rather than catching at the site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yes. It's the proximity thing as well as they tend to work cheek by jowl.

Cold, dry, no air changes. (fridge) air circulated by aircon.
    Paul Reid said Language is a problem there
    Sick pay is non existent for those quarantining so they go to work.

That would also lead me to believe.
    Travel back to countries with much higher incidence is also a thing.

523644.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

It spreads easier in such environments, but I guess the real question is, why does it keep popping up in meat plants? It's a bit like when people said it was only in nursing homes, but it has to get in there somehow, i.e. via community. But how come the community spread goes a little more undetected in between all these plants, and then bang, loads of cases?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Just had lunch with my sister.

I remember her partner was tested few months back when he was sick and it was negative. He works in health and safety and got these new tests that supposedly check for antibodies aswell and it seems he has some anti bodies which means he had (had not has edit) COVID.

She has a friend in UCD who said 25% of tests can give false positives.

I don’t find this alarming as I still think it’s easy to forget we are early doors in the pandemic and mistakes will be made. It’s more a good reminder that mistakes are being made and we get the information that our authorities believe are relevant. There’s no conspiracy with this line of thought, more a reminder that there really are variables about the virus we are still trying to figure out, including how to communicate information.

It spreads easier in such environments, but I guess the real question is, why does it keep popping up in meat plants? It's a bit like when people said it was only in nursing homes, but it has to get in there somehow, i.e. via community. But how come the community spread goes a little more undetected in between all these plants, and then bang, loads of cases?

I would guess a lot of the staff in meat plants are in similar social circles given they are a large number of immigrants in these plants. I know of a Brazilian, not working in a meat plant, but currently waiting on test result having being tested as a close contact of a confirmed case

https://www.wlrfm.com/2020/08/20/sanofi-waterford-have-confirmed-that-an-employee-has-tested-positive-for-covid-19/?fbclid=IwAR0r0b8s_3s-kAGEYLmeZbaHS0JujS9yxlWTAVxJDaMIkNH6DQK1cEDEXgo

The employee at Sanofi picked it up by community transmission
    Sanofi has confirmed that it is responding to an instance of the coronavirus in one of its employees and that the individual involved is currently self-isolating at home.

It’s understood that the employee picked up the virus through community transmission.

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I would guess a lot of the staff in meat plants are in similar social circles given they are a large number of immigrants in these plants. I know of a Brazilian, not working in a meat plant, but currently waiting on test result having being tested as a close contact of a confirmed case
    Living conditions are also part of it, some people tend to pack the bodies in.

Not sure why your all talking about meat plants
    did you not hear its house parties and GAA fault,

Good aul Larry Goodman and his meat plants are grand ,
    Not like Larry to be involved in controversy now ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Did you report this to the appropriate authorities?

The guidelines are just that. Guidelines and there's nothing set in stone in law for breaking guidelines. Where does someone report to for something like that? Fairly shocking all the same? Like, Are the family hoping for the best wishing for colds or are they waiting for covid tests to return as positive before they might consider to isolate or restrict their movements.

Our government did fcek all to help us in a scenario like this where someone doesn't feel well but they don't feel like isolating at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

Ger Roe wrote: »
    No. Just bad working pay and conditions. It has been going on for years. but as long as it was only affecting the low paid employees, it didn't matter. We still continued to produce the best quality beef in the world .... apparently.

This was as inevitable as the initial outbreaks in the nursing homes, but you literally can't say a word against the sacred cows of highly protected industries. I am old enough to remember various meat factory and costly meat production associated scandals and investigations over many years. The beef industry must have cost the country dearly over many occasions through the years, and it didn't pay the price for any of them.

Meat plants are owned and run by ruthless businessmen and management. They make their own rules and are obsessed by profit and costs within a bullying culture.

owlbethere wrote: »
    The guidelines are just that. Guidelines and there's nothing set in stone in law for breaking guidelines. Where does someone report to for something like that? Fairly shocking all the same? Like, Are the family hoping for the best wishing for colds or are they waiting for covid tests to return as positive before they might consider to isolate or restrict their movements.

Our government did fcek all to help us in a scenario like this where someone doesn't feel well but they don't feel like isolating at home.

A doctor should not need the government to tell him that his kids should isolate if they have cold symptoms. A doctor may also know that his kids just have hay fever or other allergies however

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

I guess that teacher will be phoning in sick in a few weeks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement