Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Rx713B wrote: »
    Is this for real or fake ??

Real

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Source, this is his Twitter bio

"Author and ethics prof. I deal in economics, philosophy, theology. Amateur mixologist and certified sommelier. Rome Bureau Chief for Breitbart News."

I would trust anyone involved with Breitbart as far as I could throw them.

Again the original article is from Corriere della Sera.

https://www.corriere.it/cronache/20_agosto_20/nove-dieci-sono-asintomatici-noi-mortalita-si-azzerata-023a2aa4-e2b2-11ea-89b3-b56dd0df2aa2.shtml?refresh_ce

"Author and ethics prof. I deal in economics, philosophy, theology. Amateur mixologist and certified sommelier. Rome Bureau Chief for Breitbart News."

Is it the equivalent of say the red tops here sun/mirror etc.?

They make sun etc look like a peer reviewed journal

Martin doesn't accept that the back to school plan is unsafe. Well he's hardly going to say it is ?

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1296480815325601794?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

A verbal interview with a single doctor is not data.

It's anecdote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Trending on Breitbart now: Cheat-by-mail, Crime wave, China Virus

Self described as "The Huffington post of the far-right"

Basically the Daily Mail on steroids, but with a slightly less eye-twitchy website.

As Stephenjmcd pointed out though, there is a more reliable source for the claim of 90% - but his tweet saying "845, of which 90% asymptomatic" isn't really as factual as he's making out. It's more he heard a claim that 90% don't show symptoms, and he attached that to the positive results today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,628 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Will rescheduled confirmations and holy communions go ahead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I don't trust anyone to be an expert in more than one subject to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

It's amazing the number of people who say trust the experts when it comes to supporting restrictions, yet won't trust those same experts when it comes to going back to school.

• Advertisement

They make sun etc look like a peer reviewed journal

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Communions took place in Gurranbraher, Mayfield and Farranree in Cork last weekend.

Original source is not Breitbart. Its Corriere della Sera which carried the interview

stevek93 wrote: »
    My god we are so slow at testing here. Rang doctor on Tuesday with new cough and sore throat. Home test arranged test centre is to far away from house. I’m still waiting for someone to come out. If I am positive I need to know as I have been in contact with people recently.

An ambulance should come out, can you call 999 or your GP again?

Take Care

A verbal interview with a single doctor is not data.

It's anecdote.

And ? He gives the view from his hosptial.

It's an extremely high number for cases being asymptomatic in 1 hosptial alone. It is not data but it is an insight nonetheless if you actually read it

And if you read the actual article you see quotes from the expert interviewed like this which aren't mentioned

At least 90 percent of these swab positive patients are asymptomatic - comments Bassetti -. Which means they are not sick. But they still need to be quarantined. After all, this is what happens for other infectious diseases: if a person, to say, has a Pseudomonas infection, it must be isolated, because this germ causes serious infections

polesheep wrote: »
    It's amazing the number of people who say trust the experts when it comes to supporting restrictions, yet won't trust those same experts when it comes to going back to school.

I'd say she just doesn't want to go back for herself and family. Full pay for 5 months probably not doing a massive amount of work.

I can't blame her reservations all the same.

Going ahead in my area last week or two anyway, church is exempt from the new limits as far as anyone can tell, so I'd assume they'll keep going.

They're doing them like 2 at a time here anyway giving them time slots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Drumpot wrote: »
    Just had lunch with my sister.

I remember her partner was tested few months back when he was sick and it was negative. He works in health and safety and got these new tests that supposedly check for antibodies aswell and it seems he has some anti bodies which means he had (had not has edit) COVID.

She has a friend in UCD who said 25% of tests can give false positives.

I don’t find this alarming as I still think it’s easy to forget we are early doors in the pandemic and mistakes will be made. It’s more a good reminder that mistakes are being made and we get the information that our authorities believe are relevant. There’s no conspiracy with this line of thought, more a reminder that there really are variables about the virus we are still trying to figure out, including how to communicate information.

I've a friend in a different college who says that tests can be 25% false negative depending on how the swab is conducted.

Of course I don't have a source for it and neither do you so here we are.

Martina knows the accuracy of the tests I guess. If the false positive rate was 25% we'd have a few more cases. Or is it that 25% of positives are false positives?

Either way commenting on accuracy of tests without any accompanying sources is dodgy territory.

• Advertisement

Communions took place in Gurranbraher, Mayfield and Farranree in Cork last weekend.

With now is it 6 only? The message is very confusing

It's a church so can continue as normal

Michael Martin said it isn't confusing, so you're clearly wrong if you're confused :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Slow with the figures today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not in the Church, if they do the afters in a field it goes up to 15!

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Slow with the figures today.

Think it was posted earlier 6.30 press conference today, assume they won't be out until then

• Advertisement

90% asymptomatic.

It ties in with what that Italian doctor said a while back about seeing a weakening in the effect of Covid-19 on people.

His source for the 90% is Breitbart, which may or may not have an agenda. The doctor quoted said at the peak the mortality rate in his hospital was 11% and is now zero

https://twitter.com/tdwilliamsrome/status/1296410345809076224?s=20

There could be something to this throughout europe atm re: virus weakening. Virus struggling to get over r rate of 1 in most countries, so mutates and weakens in order to survive.

Cases rising fairly significantly, we just have to watch and see hospital admissions.

Hospital admissions are very low in Ireland also, but too early to say. Another few weeks will tell a story. :cool:

"Ah come on now"

"We're not reopening schools for the sake of it"

Yeah I'd say a fair few would disagree.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1296487901065285632?s=09

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

An ambulance should come out, can you call 999 or your GP again?

Take Care

So the “home test team” called me yesterday mentioning I would get a call within 24 hours to arrange a test. 24 hours past no call so I phoned back they mentioned there might be another 24 hours wait as they are so busy. Seriously 48+ hours to arrange a call for a home test and another 48+ for the results? By the time they come out the and results come back it looks like it will be well over 7 days from phoning the GP. If I am positive who I have been in contact with god knows how many people they have passed the virus on to at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I'd say she just doesn't want to go back for herself and family. Full pay for 5 months probably not doing a massive amount of work.

I can't blame her reservations all the same.

We expect healthcare professionals to work 16 hour shifts around known covid patients in a highly concentrated environment but we cant ask a teacher to work with healthy children that may be asymptomatic but would still be much less contagious.

• Advertisement

Any word as to when the decision regarding the 3 counties under restrictions will be communicated ?

Any word as to when the decision regarding the 3 counties under restrictions will be communicated ?
    Should've been today right? NPHET meeting Monday might have thrown the schedule a little

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Trampas

It ties in with what that Italian doctor said a while back about seeing a weakening in the effect of Covid-19 on people.

My thinking on % is at start is was mainly older people getting it and vast majority have passed on from it. So in theory the average age drops so greater chance of not getting bad symptoms so % goes up.

"Ah come on now"

Fair play to that teacher. I couldn't make out a word she was saying between the wind and the masks but she seemed angry and I definitely heard criminal.

The response of "ah come on" isn't going to age well.

There is evidence that aerosolised dust can spread it too.

Watch out for chalk (might be showing my age). I used to hate when they cleaned the duster. White cloud of chalk would have us all coughing.
    Watch out for tissues too it seems.

https://twitter.com/AliNouriPhD/status/1296483563232272384?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

By this weekend I'd say restrictions should be lifted on Laois, maybe the same for Offaly while little chance for Kildare.

Carlow in danger of having restrictions applied.

Should've been today right? NPHET meeting Monday might have thrown the schedule a little

There was a NPHET meeting today I think but was just wondering what way they might do it seeing as MM is in Cork and the usually have a press conference at government buildings for that sort of stuff

We expect healthcare professionals to work 16 hour shifts around known covid patients in a highly concentrated environment but we cant ask a teacher to work with healthy children that may be asymptomatic but would still be much less contagious.

Always had way more respect personally for nurses than teachers.

No handy shifts in a hospital.

A teacher is never going to save your life but a nurse might.

By this weekend I'd say restrictions should be lifted on Laois, maybe the same for Offaly while little chance for Kildare.

Carlow in danger of having restrictions applied.
    My thoughts too, Carlow very close

It was the same doctor I believe https://en.as.com/en/2020/06/22/latest_news/1592820578_587344.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

My thoughts too, Carlow very close
    Tipp also forgot about them.

• Advertisement

Fair play to that teacher. I couldn't make out a word she was saying between the wind and the masks but she seemed agree and I definitely heard criminal.

The response of "ah come on" isn't going to age well.

There is evidence that aerosolised dust can spread it too.

Watch out for chalk (might be showing my age). I used to hate when they cleaned the duster. White cloud of chalk would have us all coughing.
    Watch out for tissues too it seems.

https://twitter.com/AliNouriPhD/status/1296483563232272384?s=20

"it can spread through air on aerosolized fomites.." Christ, this must be bloody everywhere.

Trampas wrote: »
    My thinking on % is at start is was mainly older people getting it and vast majority have passed on from it. So in theory the average age drops so greater chance of not getting bad symptoms so % goes up.

Yes, it's quite possible that the virus was only strong enough to kill the weak. It could also have mutated. Either way, if it is actually doing less damage now, then that's great news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Tipp also forgot about them.

More cases today in local meat factory in tipp

Always had way more respect personally for nurses than teachers.

No handy shifts in a hospital.

This pitting professions against each other is not healthy. It doesn't matter if an operator in a meat factory gets or a hospital outbreak or an outbreak in a school.

It's a problem for the community initially and eventually the country.

Pointing out that putting 30+ people in a room barely big enough to swing a cat is criminally negligent and will lead to billions in damage to economy if people out sick and isolating.

That has to be compared to the cost of copying countries who actually dealt with it in a safe matter.

"Ah come on now"

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1296487901065285632?s=09

He's learnt his lines well anyway "I've been in touch with teachers all over the country"... "health of the child" etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

So the “home test team” called me yesterday mentioning I would get a call within 24 hours to arrange a test. 24 hours past no call so I phoned back they mentioned there might be another 24 hours wait as they are so busy. Seriously 48+ hours to arrange a call for a home test and another 48+ for the results? By the time they come out the and results come back it looks like it will be well over 7 days from phoning the GP. If I am positive who I have been in contact with god knows how many people they have passed the virus on to at this point.

Did you not self isolate as soon as you felt ill?

I think we are nearly at the point again to presume everyone has it including yourself. The asymptotic thing is crazy because you might be able to pass on to an older relative without knowing. 2 meters and outside. If not possible I'll just leave it. I don't want to kill my granny.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

And ? He gives the view from his hosptial.

It's an extremely high number for cases being asymptomatic in 1 hosptial alone. It is not data but it is an insight nonetheless if you actually read it

Read it.

It's still anecdote.

Not the data you guys are supposedly so fond of.

This pitting professions against each other is not healthy. It doesn't matter if an operator in a meat factory gets or a hospital outbreak or an outbreak in a school.

It's a problem for the community initially and eventually the country.

Pointing out that putting 30+ people in a room barely big enough to swing a cat is criminally negligent and will lead to billions in damage to economy if people out sick and isolating.

That has to be compared to the cost of copying countries who actually dealt with it in a safe matter.

You are probably right, apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There's a lot of mass testing going on at present. As the CMO said way back stay at home anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement