Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

stevek93 wrote: »
    So the “home test team” called me yesterday mentioning I would get a call within 24 hours to arrange a test. 24 hours past no call so I phoned back they mentioned there might be another 24 hours wait as they are so busy. Seriously 48+ hours to arrange a call for a home test and another 48+ for the results? By the time they come out the and results come back it looks like it will be well over 7 days from phoning the GP. If I am positive who I have been in contact with god knows how many people they have passed the virus on to at this point.

You're supposed to self isolate while awaiting results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Stheno wrote: »
    Did you not self isolate as soon as you felt ill?

I presume they mean in contact with people in the days leading up to symptoms

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

I've a friend in a different college who says that tests can be 25% false negative depending on how the swab is conducted.

Of course I don't have a source for it and neither do you so here we are.

Martina knows the accuracy of the tests I guess. If the false positive rate was 25% we'd have a few more cases. Or is it that 25% of positives are false positives?

Either way commenting on accuracy of tests without any accompanying sources is dodgy territory.

I think Drumpot must have meant false negatives.

False positives would occur only with contamination.

(Or some could look at it as a positive result where the virus isn't capable of replication being a 'false positive', but there's 0 chance that we're actually testing for replication)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Possibly, I just found the post confusing tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    You're supposed to self isolate while awaiting results.

I never said I wasn’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

This pitting professions against each other is not healthy. It doesn't matter if an operator in a meat factory gets or a hospital outbreak or an outbreak in a school.

It's a problem for the community initially and eventually the country.

Pointing out that putting 30+ people in a room barely big enough to swing a cat is criminally negligent and will lead to billions in damage to economy if people out sick and isolating.

That has to be compared to the cost of copying countries who actually dealt with it in a safe matter.

I didn't pit professions against each other, I was just pointing out that we already expect people to work under a much higher level of risk, therefore it is natural that we would expect others to work with a lower level of risk. Obviously we should be working hard to reduce the risk as much as possible. Perhaps we could increase the hours and teach children in shifts so that the numbers in a classroom are smaller at any given time for example, temperature checks etc. The schools going back is so crucial, moreso than any other activity in our society possibly.

Yes last week I had contact with people if I had no symptoms then but possible I was infected.

So the “home test team” called me yesterday mentioning I would get a call within 24 hours to arrange a test. 24 hours past no call so I phoned back they mentioned there might be another 24 hours wait as they are so busy. Seriously 48+ hours to arrange a call for a home test and another 48+ for the results? By the time they come out the and results come back it looks like it will be well over 7 days from phoning the GP. If I am positive who I have been in contact with god knows how many people they have passed the virus on to at this point.

We don't need an entire ambulance and crew of paramedics to do home tests.

A swabber and a driver would suffice.

Self-swabbing has also been shown to be almost as effective.

Read it.

It's still anecdote.

Not the data you guys are supposedly so fond of.

Qualitative and quantitative data/information. That falls into the first one. Time will tell when we look at hospital admissions/deaths in a few weeks time throughout Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Read it.

It's still anecdote.

Not the data you guys are supposedly so fond of.

Grow up you baby.
    Your like a 6 year old child bitter that someone else got a star from the teacher

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Here's the latest Italian data. I wouldn't discount the story from the paper as it's fairly reputable. Italy has far superior data than ours. The vast majority are at home and hospitalisation is extremely low. I wouldn't like to attribute that to the virus weakening however if young people are the main people getting it.

They have the current case numbers. First column is hospital, second is ICU third is home. No indication of presymptomatic or asymptomatic.

523654.png

I never said I wasn’t.

Just give whoever you have been in contact with a call and tell them that your not well and that they might want to isolate, if you haven't already, your original post just reads like you haven't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I didn't pit professions against each other, I was just pointing out that we already expect people to work under a much higher level of risk, therefore it is natural that we would expect others to work with a lower level of risk. Obviously we should be working hard to reduce the risk as much as possible. Perhaps we could increase the hours and teach children in shifts so that the numbers in a classroom are smaller at any given time for example, temperature checks etc. The schools going back is so crucial, moreso than any other activity in our society possibly.

We should let admin workers fight off the junkies in Dublin city center, sure we expect the Gardai to do so why don't we expect others to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Briefing 6.30pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Anyone else getting nervous daily around 6pm?

Jackman25 wrote: »
    Grow up you baby.
    Your like a 6 year old child bitter that someone else got a star from the teacher

It's 'you're'.

And you've added precisely 0 to any thread where I've had the misfortune to encounter you.

We don't need an entire ambulance and crew of paramedics to do home tests.

A swabber and a driver would suffice.

Self-swabbing has also been shown to be almost as effective.

That is the procedure of the HSE at the moment I’m just commenting on my progress so far. I got a text for an appointment 7km from my house the text has a link one of the options is “impossible to travel for test” as I don’t drive I choose that option.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    We should let admin workers fight off the junkies in Dublin city center, sure we expect the Gardai to do so why don't we expect others to do it?

We are not asking teachers to treat icu patients who are dieing from covid, I believe we are asking them to teach healthy children with a risk of asymptomatic infection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I've a friend in a different college who says that tests can be 25% false negative depending on how the swab is conducted.

Of course I don't have a source for it and neither do you so here we are.

Martina knows the accuracy of the tests I guess. If the false positive rate was 25% we'd have a few more cases. Or is it that 25% of positives are false positives?

Either way commenting on accuracy of tests without any accompanying sources is dodgy territory.
    I think Drumpot must have meant false negatives.

False positives would occur only with contamination.

(Or some could look at it as a positive result where the virus isn't capable of replication being a 'false positive', but there's 0 chance that we're actually testing for replication)

Yep, my bad, that’s what I meant and they said exactly that. “If the swab doesn’t hurt when it’s taken , it increases the chance of false negative.” Or something to that effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

It's 'you're'.

And you've added precisely 0 to any thread where I've had the misfortune to encounter you.

Same as yourself so just without the bitterness and whining.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

A friend of mine started getting symptoms on Monday afternoon when in work. Obviously went home. All other colleagues went home aswell, and the business is closed. Still waiting to hear back about getting a test, and obviously the other 10 people are also isolating. It's crazy. Still no word about a test. Several people isolating and a business that is closed (work from home can't be done).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

antodeco wrote: »
    A friend of mine started getting symptoms on Monday afternoon when in work. Obviously went home. All other colleagues went home aswell, and the business is closed. Still waiting to hear back about getting a test, and obviously the other 10 people are also isolating. It's crazy. Still no word about a test. Several people isolating and a business that is closed (work from home can't be done).

Waiting times are horrendous, ll this talk of the capacity and they still can't get it right

We are not asking teachers to treat icu patients who are dieing from covid, I believe we are asking them to teach healthy children with a risk of asymptomatic infection.

And also a risk of a life threatening virus that has killed nearly a million people worldwide.

That is the procedure of the HSE at the moment I’m just commenting on my progress so far. I got a text for an appointment 7km from my house the text has a link one of the options is “impossible to travel for test” as I don’t drive I choose that option.

No, I know.

And it's going to become more of an issue with cases increasing.

I don't drive either and would have to get to Swords on foot from Dublin city centre :confused:

It's a scandal that with all of the time they had, and the knowledge that referrals were going to increase, they're not able to accommodate it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Obviously Stephan Donnelley has had a bit of a bapsitm of fire in the dept of health but this week at best he's been inconsistent with the message. The underlying info and rational for the restrictions may be sound and based on good evidence but he along with the government(with Michael Martin as Taoiseach baring the main responsibility for this) have not conveyed the message well. To be fair I will say that the message this government have to get across isn't as easy as Leo varadkar and Simon Harris and that government had to give which was fairly narrow and easy to understand, but it's their job to convey the one they have clearly. It's not great to see a lot of clarifications having to be issued.

Here's the latest Italian data. I wouldn't discount the story from the paper as it's fairly reputable. Italy has far superior data than ours. The vast majority are at home and hospitalisation is extremely low. I wouldn't like to attribute that to the virus weakening however if young people are the main people getting it.

They have the current case numbers. First column is hospital, second is ICU third is home. No indication of presymptomatic or asymptomatic.

523654.png

Good info. The doctor is not sure himself why so little people are getting sick. He is not attributing it to only age. It makes sense that a virus would mutate and become say more infectious and possible less dangerous in order to survive if it is struggling to reproduce which it was in May/June/July throughout Europe (r rate at or below 1) . Time will tell.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    And also a risk of a life threatening virus that has killed nearly a million people worldwide.

Yes, a much lower risk than many other professions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

theballz wrote: »

No. It's not worth it because the numbers are what they are. No one here can change them and we just need to keep doing what we've been doing on a personal level since march.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

What’s the testing data for today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

There should have been no lockdown at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭boardise

theballz wrote: »

Yeah , I have this dread that some day the angelus bell ringer will miscount the rings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

None today yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Gael23 wrote: »
    None today yet?

DOH press conference will be on any minute now. Due at 6.30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Not yet

Press conference seems to be running late most days lately

Yes, a much lower risk than many other professions.

I take it you've no kids but we'll have to agree to disagree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    We might as well all give up and wait to die so.ffs next it will be it can survive a necular explosion or is on the concrete blocks in your house

Risk is probably very low as long as you wash those hands while cooking. Most foods have to be cooked which will kill and if your washing hands throughout cooking low risk.

90% is person to person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

DOH press conference will be on any minute now. Due at 6.30

Where can this be viewed online?

• Advertisement

Search for RTE News Now

No, I know.

And it's going to become more of an issue with cases increasing.

I don't drive either and would have to get to Swords on foot from Dublin city centre :confused:

It's a scandal that with all of the time they had, and the knowledge that referrals were going to increase, they're not able to accommodate it now.

Why doesn’t the HSE open up tents in carparks about the country to enable testing. It will enable people who don’t drive to be able to walk to a test centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Not on yet but should be on RTÉ news now channel 521

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

That study is not reliable. Not peer reviewed. The UCD input is from an adjunct professor. Doesn’t seem to have much research background.

Qualitative and quantitative data/information. That falls into the first one. Time will tell when we look at hospital admissions/deaths in a few weeks time throughout Europe.

Funny the way some here were/are quick to dismiss GPBuddy's data as 'anecdote/hearsay' when it doesn't align with their agenda.

But happy to spread it all around when it does suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Appears Laois and Offaly will come out of lockdown, but Kildare will remain:

https://www.laoistoday.ie/2020/08/20/breaking-nphet-propose-to-lift-localised-lockdown-for-laois-and-offaly/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭feelings

Expecting about 150 today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Social distancing now on school buses. Another U turn from this govt.

Fann Linn wrote: »

But only secondary school buses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Fann Linn wrote: »
    That came from NPHET. They should have asked first before promising.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement