Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40035389.html
    Minister and 80 people at golf event in breach of health guidelines
    Minister and 80 people at golf event in breach of health guidelines

More than 80 people, including the Agriculture Minister, senators and TDs attended a golf function in a hotel in breach of public health guidelines just a day after the Government announced new lockdown measures to stop the spread of Covid-19.

The Oireachtas Golf Society event to celebrate its 50th anniversary was held at a function room at the Station House Hotel, Clifden, Co Galway last night, even though public health advice clearly states "no formal or informal events or parties should be organised in these premises".

The table plan listed 82 people for the sit-down function, with up to 10 people per table, even though guidelines state no more than six people should be seated at any one table.

The hotel and society declined to confirm who had attended but the guest list included: Minister for Agriculture Dara Calleary and his wife Siobhan, Galway TD Noel Grealish, Senator Jerry Buttimer, Senator John Cummins, Senator Paul Daly, Senator Niall Blaney, former Fine Gael Senator Cáit Keane, Judge and former Attorney General Seamus Woulfe, the Moroccan Ambassador Lahcen Mahraoui, former Labour Party senator Lorraine Higgins, former Fine Gael Senator and TD for Sligo–Leitrim Gerry Reynolds, former Fine Gael senator Imelda Henry, Circuit Court judge and a former Workers' Party TD Pat McCartan, who serves as the vice-captain, and a number of others.

The Agriculture Minister and others have confirmed their attendance while others have been contacted for comment.

A spokesperson for the Minister of Agriculture said: “The Minister was asked to attend the dinner and speak in tribute to a deceased long-serving former Oireachtas member.

"He did attend and spoke briefly. He left following the dinner and observed social distance throughout the event.”

We may be changing our behaviour - but analysis of recent trends shows the virus isn't.

The event was organised by the President of the society and former Fianna Fáil TD Donie Cassidy and honored Galway man and former Fianna Fáil MEP Mark Killilea Jnr, who died in 2018. Mr Killilea's family was in attendance at the event.

A spokesman from The Station House Hotel said they consulted the Irish Hotels Federation, who told them that the event could go ahead with fewer than 50 people in each side of the room.

"My understanding of dining arrangements is that in any dining room it has to be fewer than 50," he said.

"There were 81 people at the event who dined with us, divided into 45 and 36.

"It's not a Mickey Mouse partition, it's a proper physical structure that divides two rooms, but it can be removed.

It was booked a few months ago, the guidelines were going to change 50 up to 100 but didn't, so we spoke to the Oireachtas Golf Society, and the Irish Hotel Federation (IHF), and we were told that as long as there were no more than 50 diners, it was safe.

An email from the IHF to members on Wednesday, seen by the Irish, stated: "Further to the Government announcement yesterday in relation to further Covid-19 restrictions, the Department of Tourism has not yet received any guidance on the changes as of this morning.

"Therefore, the status quo remains in terms of current operational procedures for hotels until further notice."

The IHF says that it is seeking guidance from the Department of Tourism on the guidelines.

Rise TD Paul Murphy said that the event should have been cancelled.

"I think it's extremely poor that this event went ahead. It shows that they think it's one rule for them and another for everybody else.

It sends a very poor message when figures from the political establishment openly flaunt the guidelines when ordinary people have to cancel parties, arts events and weddings.
    "Even if they could prove that the partition allows them get around the guidelines, it's a very flimsy excuse.

"In any case, the message that it sends out - that you can get around the rules - is not one that the political establishment should be sending out."

Taoiseach Micheál Martin today again appealed to people to reduce meetings and social contacts as much as possible as the virus continues to spread.

"The overall message from NPHET public health advice is they want to reduce meetings as much as they possibly can.

"They want people to reduce the number of social contacts that they have because the numbers have gone up.

"We want to save lives, we want to protect livelihoods."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Nolan saying schools are not big drivers of COVID cases, but are of flu'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Wow, I would say that's unbelievable but nothing is surprising me under this government

Isn't it great to have Fianna Fail back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

1.7% of 5 million is 85000. So the story is we found one third of all cases all along. I find that hard to believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That’s just grim on so many levels. This is the quality of leadership we are lumbered with in the biggest threat to the country and its citizens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Prof. Nolan adamant community transmission remains low and schools can re-open without issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It was all but eradicated by mid June. The chance was there but nobody calling the shots had the sack to put the requisite measures in place.

“All but” which isn’t the same as eradication. There was always a certain level there and would go up once people Interact again. Lockdowns are a waste of time unless they’re permanent features

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

There is a lot of buck passing going on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭political analyst

They do when they're done properly. The full lockdown in Wuhan eliminated the virus.

Our lockdown wasn't long enough nor strict enough to fully suppress the virus. Additionally, we allowed overseas visitors into the country with no supervision to reseed outbreaks.

It will be interesting to see how the government starts to manage an increasing unwillingness to follow the guidelines.

Except we don't live under a totalitarian government. The cases of death and serious illness constitute a very small percentage of the number of people who have contracted the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

That number today is bad. Looks like with the schools opening they are shooting for herd immunity.

One east Galway GP said he referred 20 cases last weekend for testing with 50% of them children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

feelings wrote: »
    No we weren't. It was never going to be wiped out. It was suppressed and we did a good job getting to that point. We have to live with it now. Treatment has improved significantly. So what is the next plan?

I cringe to think... was Boris right... is it time for herd immunity?

A significant cohort of highly qualified people (epidemiologists / virologists) who get paid lots of money to have opinions / ideas / devise strategies on these things, say you are incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Schools are safe and children aren't getting Covid-19 in schools. They are getting it at home. So schools are very safe places.

Could that possibly be because the schools have been shut since March? I'd be stunned if any child caught Covid-19 in a school since March 16th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

This is what Zara was on about?

Wow, just wow.

This government is pathetic

Gruffalox wrote: »
    1.7% of 5 million is 85000. So the story is we found one third of all cases all along. I find that hard to believe.

It's only a guesstimate from two counties. GP Ciara Kelly had it in March and done 5 antibody tests for and her family. All nil. We are seriously underestimating t cells.I think it is multiples of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Prof. Nolan adamant community transmission remains low and schools can re-open without issues

do they think they are getting all the cases now?
    Only 50-70k tests a week.

Next week a few schools will most likely have people who have the virus unknown to them.
    Nolan going on about flu but this virus is more infectious.

We will probably go back to phase 1 now after the insistence on schools going back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭feelings

Which part is incorrect?
    A significant cohort of highly qualified people (epidemiologists / virologists) who get paid lots of money to have opinions / ideas / devise strategies on these things, say you are incorrect.

MD1990 wrote: »

Next week a few schools will most likely have people who have the virus unknown to them.

We will probably go back to phase 1 now after the insistence on schools going back
    Positivity rate of 1.3% indicates they're catching a lot of cases

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JJandthebear

"It's important that the school uniform's look clean" these pressers are absolute guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,628 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

51 are in Dublin, 24 in Kildare, 12 in Kilkenny, 11 in Tipperary, 7 in Cork, 6 in Limerick, 6 in Wexford, 5 in Meath and the remaining 14 cases are in Carlow, Cavan, Donegal, Galway, Mayo, Offaly, Roscommon, Waterford and Wicklow

Kilkenny high now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭dere34

See Maria McCann from BBC News NI? The photos on her Twitter are seriously worrying. I don't think schools will open at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,834 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Seems so. Shower of utter cretins. I think they should all resign tbh. Rules are for everyone else apparently.

dere34 wrote: »
    See Maria McCann from BBC News NI? The photos on her Twitter are seriously worrying. I don't think schools will open at this stage.
    Schools will 100% be open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The schools wont see to mid september.

No matter how stubborn they insist on opening them is there not a high chance they would run out of teachers?

I mean how many teachers can a school afford be quarantined if they test positive; if that teachers been in a staff room and is a "close contact" waiting for a test? Who'll teach the kids then?

"It's important that the school uniform's look clean" these pressers are absolute guff.
    She also said they are not suggesting that uniforms get washed every night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

theballz wrote: »
    Only 18 in hospital. The most vulnerable have already caught it and recovered or unfortunately past away.

We are watching herd immunity unfold.

The vulnerable are still social distancing.

We are so so far away from herd immunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Schools will 100% be open.

Yep gone too far to pull back at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

Yet no country in the world has managed to eradicate it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

pjohnson wrote: »
    The schools wont see to mid september.

No matter how stubborn they insist on opening them is there not a high chance they would run out of teachers?

I mean how many teachers can a school afford be quarantined if they test positive if that teachers been in a staff room and is a "close contact" waiting for a test? Who'll teach the kids then?

I predict absenteeism amongst teachers between 10 and 20% from the start.

They will and its going to be carnage. Some kids will get sick but they will spread it like wildfire and then the fun starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Drumpot wrote:
    I remember her partner was tested few months back when he was sick and it was negative. He works in health and safety and got these new tests that supposedly check for antibodies aswell and it seems he has some anti bodies which means he had (had not has edit) COVID.

She has a friend in UCD who said 25% of tests can give false positives.

I don’t find this alarming as I still think it’s easy to forget we are early doors in the pandemic and mistakes will be made. It’s more a good reminder that mistakes are being made and we get the information that our authorities believe are relevant. There’s no conspiracy with this line of thought, more a reminder that there really are variables about the virus we are still trying to figure out, including how to communicate information.
    I dont know what relevance UCD has here. What's that persons connection to the testing process? Where did they source an antibody test? Did they say the PCR or antibody test had 25%FP?

25% FP is ridiculous. No test would be used if it was that bad. The incidences of FP are extremely low as the PCR test specifically detects SARS CoV 2.
    There would be a higher incidence of false negatives, but that is difficult to asssess as most of those would be down to poor sample collection.

If the swab is taken properly, by a trained healthcare worker, then the result is highly likely to be valid.

MD1990 wrote: »

Then where will the Department of Finance get the money for the health service and for other public services? No functioning economy means less revenue.

I went on and didn't see any. Would you be able to link if you wouldn't mind?

Yet no country in the world has managed to eradicate it?
    Nope but some like South Korea, Taiwan and China can get on top of new outbreaks very quickly. That's how we live with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Blondini wrote: »
    I predict abseentism amongst teachers between 10 and 20% from the start.

It'd be the smart thing. Unless that teacher is also a parent in which case they likely will catch it then. At least they wont spread it further I guess

A big figure on a news conference day, can somebody do the stats in this

Pathetic
    The positive tests lined up perfectly with the confirmed cases today

• Advertisement

If people who have contracted the virus and know they have it stay at home for a fortnight then they won't pass it on to others. So why would any of them feel obliged to tell their GPs if they're not seriously ill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

A big figure on a news conference day, can somebody do the stats in this

Pathetic

You've lost me. What stats do you want done?

theballz wrote: »
    Only 18 in hospital. The most vulnerable have already caught it and recovered or unfortunately past away.

We are watching herd immunity unfold.

No we are not but we will in the next few months.

They do when they're done properly. The full lockdown in Wuhan eliminated the virus.

Our lockdown wasn't long enough nor strict enough to fully suppress the virus. Additionally, we allowed overseas visitors into the country with no supervision to reseed outbreaks.

It will be interesting to see how the government starts to manage an increasing unwillingness to follow the guidelines.

https://www-bbc-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-asia-china-53816511?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=15979477818144&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s

So it was never the U14s! Unnecessary congregations are the target.

• Advertisement

If people who have contracted the virus and know they have it stay at home for a fortnight then they won't pass it on to others. So why would any of them feel obliged to tell their GPs if they're not seriously ill?

Could be long term effects, could have underlying conditions, could want them to know for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JJandthebear

is_that_so wrote: »
    She also said they are not suggesting that uniforms get washed every night!

Yup. If its important (and creches have been operating under the guidelines that children and staff have freshly washed clean clothes each day) then if they know a family of four might not be able to wash uniforms every night (not sure why?)then they should be suggesting that schools forego uniforms for the time being. Not suggesting that they just make sure the uniforms look clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

It's not sports they're worried about, it's socialising according to Glynn.

Yet weddings of up to 50 people are allowed.

Where's the consistency?

I don't really blame Glynn. We need members of government here to answer the questions he's blatantly not allowed to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

So it was never the U14s! Unnecessary congregations are the target.

Unless it's the politicians golf society. Then rules don't apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

Nope but some like South Korea, Taiwan and China can get on top of new outbreaks very quickly. That's how we live with it.

I’d forget China - hard to believe any data from there..

Even Korea with there compliant population, mask usage and tracing system struggling with latest outbreak (as a whole agree they are much better)

Taiwan just closed shop - Realistically that’s not something we can do now - had a window in March but that ship has sailed now

At this point it’s trying to replicate Denmark, Germany and Italy who seem to manage it.

How do they know they haven't passed it on? Contact tracing, we have have been doing it since March.

How do they know they haven't passed it on? Contact tracing, we have have been doing it since March.

Those who have distanced themselves all along would know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

The GAA showed you as much respect as you showed them. Clown.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement