Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Skid X wrote: »
    I don't think Dara Calleary will survive that golf beano, very poor lack of judgement from all involved.
    Tbh if he was the only member of government to go he would likely go....but there is a huge number of TDs, senators etc seemingly.

The hotel and society declined to confirm who had attended but the guest list included: Minister for Agriculture Dara Calleary and his wife Siobhan, Galway TD Noel Grealish, Senator Jerry Buttimer, Senator John Cummins, Senator Paul Daly, Senator Niall Blaney, former Fine Gael Senator Cáit Keane, Judge and former Attorney General Seamus Woulfe, the Moroccan Ambassador Lahcen Mahraoui, former Labour Party senator Lorraine Higgins, former Fine Gael Senator and TD for Sligo–Leitrim Gerry Reynolds, former Fine Gael senator Imelda Henry, Circuit Court judge and a former Workers' Party TD Pat McCartan, who serves as the vice-captain, and a number of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 regulators

polesheep wrote: »
    It was never as bad as predicted and now it's fizzling out as an illness.

Well 3.4% of people infected die and just less than 1% with the flu.
    Its also more contagious as people have no herd immunity against a new disease.

There's roughly between 30,000 and 60,000 deaths in the US from flu every year.
    The death toll from Covid-19 currently stands at 177,000 in the US with four months of the year remaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Boggles wrote: »

If we were catching one third of cases, which I must believe by that study, then how come, do you think, that our hospitalisation and death rates are so low now compared to before? The talk some people have of a mutated virus does not make sense to me as surely that is easy enough to verify under a microscope or whatever is the sophisticated version of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

8 more cases at Larry Goodmans ABP Meat plant in Cahir, Co TIPPERARY today ...... factory operating away full steam ahead with workers free to infect the town if they get an hour off work .... joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭prunudo

I've never seen such a weak bunch of politicians, I don't know if there's in fighting back biting or what is going on behind the scenes but Micheal needs to grow a pair and take charge of the situation.
    6months in and our response is shambolic, if someone doesn't step up and take control we're going to be going around in circles for the next year or longer. Its a foolish move to put all our eggs in the vaccine basket, we need to be improving the treatment of the virus and learn to live and cope with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

I dont know what relevance UCD has here. What's that persons connection to the testing process? Where did they source an antibody test? Did they say the PCR or antibody test had 25%FP?
    There would be a higher incidence of false negatives, but that is difficult to asssess as most of those would be down to poor sample collection.

If the swab is taken properly, by a trained healthcare worker, then the result is highly likely to be valid.

Load of qualifiers there.

To which I'll add the actual site of infection.

It's well documented internationally.

No dispersions cast on lab workers' professionalism.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

US2 wrote: »
    Not as many as the great 2009 swine flu pandemic

I had swine flu. It was absolute horrendous and I was young and fit. Brutal dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Actually, Swine Flu was estimated to have just over 500k deaths after 1 full year. We're well over that after 8 months with Covid and that's with severe global lockdowns.

Incredible numbers. 73% of those found to gave antibodies had symptoms. Why are so many of the recent cases asymptomatic

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I’ve no official source for the below, only myself, but we met with my daughter’s oncologist and immunologist today and we spoke about returning to school.

My daughter is due to start junior infants Monday week and is finished treatment. They are advising all children who are currently in treatment or post treatment to return as normal, and abide by usual oncology protocols (teachers will warn of suspected chicken pox or measles, etc).

They mentioned all covid cases were a child hospitalised for something else and the virus picked up by admissions testing req’d for all children. No child ended up in hospital as a result of covid symptoms. And no child currently on cancer treatment has been diagnosed with it.

Hope all goes well for her on all counts, not easy, poor dote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88,013 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I’ve no official source for the below, only myself, but we met with my daughter’s oncologist and immunologist today and we spoke about returning to school.

My daughter is due to start junior infants Monday week and is finished treatment. They are advising all children who are currently in treatment or post treatment to return as normal, and abide by usual oncology protocols (teachers will warn of suspected chicken pox or measles, etc).

They mentioned all covid cases were a child hospitalised for something else and the virus picked up by admissions testing req’d for all children. No child ended up in hospital as a result of covid symptoms. And no child currently on cancer treatment has been diagnosed with it.

Take care hope all goes well

Incredible numbers. 73% of those found to gave antibodies had symptoms. Why are so many of the recent cases asymptomatic

Because its mostly younger people are getting tested. Most elderly and people with underlying conditions are still cocooning. Most of my friends wouldn't bothered get tested if they had mild symptoms.

Between 200 and 1000 deaths per year in Ireland from the normal flu. Currently 1776 deaths from Covid-19.

Its not half as bad as people are making out but herd immunity is needed to combat this or a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

That’s not true. Swine flu pandemic lasted around a year causing approx 600k deaths.
    Covid in 8months has caused nearly 800k deaths

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I've read that too, confusing, but from what I can remember there were only around a dozen or so deaths in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

One thing I thought about the high asymptomatic rate among meat factory workers etc is if you are in that job, no security, from abroad, no sick pay etc, and the tester says did you not have a cough or a fever or a sore throat, you would be very disinclined to admit you felt anything. Because if you did then you are out on your ear for being the fecker who went into work feeling symptoms and spread it.

LuasSimon wrote: »
    8 more cases at Larry Goodmans ABP Meat plant in Cahir, Co TIPPERARY today ...... factory operating away full steam ahead with workers free to infect the town if they get an hour off work .... joke

Does Larry own all the ABP plants?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

pc7 wrote: »
    I had swine flu. It was absolute horrendous and I was young and fit. Brutal dose.

Got it myself I was 24. Only time I ever the the actual flu and not just a cold. Still worst week of my life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Gruffalox wrote: »
    If we were catching one third of cases, which I must believe by that study, then how come, do you think, that our hospitalisation and death rates are so low now compared to before?

The "Right" people getting infected.

Care homes and vulnerable protected.

I think the hospitalization rate as a percentage is actually a little higher, I explained in a post before, I put it down to them having capacity and being extra cautious.

As for the virus mutating into something that is less deadly, they actively monitor it, it hasn't.

Fergal Bowers has R number at 1.2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Wow that must be worrying. Amazing that your daughter is through the other side.

One thing I'd be wary about is the sample size. Schools were shut down in rapid order so it's not comparing like with like. I'd seek a second opinion perhaps from a country with a larger sample size (population) and where schools were open and see if they concur. I'm hoping for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

Thanks for sharing this, as a parent I find that comforting about the hospitalisations.
    I hope your little girl has a lovely school experience and wishing her a lifetime of health and happiness

Are they asymptomatic or presymptomatic?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭dere34

dere34 wrote: »
    If scenes like this are repeated I can see local lockdowns in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Were the measures implemented, by practically every country in the world, in any small way, even slightly different for the two pandemics by any chance?

Got it myself I was 24. Only time I ever the the actual flu and not just a cold. Still worst week of my life!

Me too. 48h of being curled up in a ball. I think that flu spared the elderly but hit younger people quite badly. Rarely fatal though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

regulators wrote: »
    Its not half as bad as people are making out but herd immunity is needed to combat this or a vaccine.

It very possible that the former will happen before the latter.

I’m sure there’s a lot of pharma companies hoping that doesn’t happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Spiderman0081

The "Right" people getting infected.

Care homes and vulnerable protected.

I think the hospitalization rate as a percentage is actually a little higher, I explained in a post before, I put it down to them having capacity and being extra cautious.

As for the virus mutating into something that is less deadly, they actively monitor it, it hasn't.
    It really proves that the mortality rate is much, much lower than what it states in each countries records. Mortality rates are calculated based from confirmed cases. I will be surprised if the mortality rate is more 0.2% when all age groups are taken into account in a year or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Wow that must be worrying. Amazing that your daughter is through the other side.

One thing I'd be wary about is the sample size. Schools were shut down in rapid order so it's not comparing like with like. I'd seek a second opinion perhaps from a country with a larger sample size (population) and where schools were open and see if they concur. I'm hoping for the best.

“Luckily” she was out the other side before she was 18 months so doesn’t remember it at all, and is as strong as an ox now :)

The conversation was far longer and detailed than my post, and these guys are basically at the absolute top of their game in Ireland if not up there in the top in Europe for their treatments, one an OBE... so a second opinion, in my opinion, is not needed. You’re absolutely right though, I brought up the schools being closed as well but it seems like all of these guys are talking, very frequently, with international colleagues and know as much as can be known at this point.

It really proves that the mortality rate is much, much lower than what it states in each countries records. Mortality rates are calculated based from confirmed cases. I will be surprised if the mortality rate is more 0.2% when all age groups are taken into account in a year or two.

Or mortality rate based on those figures is around 2%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Thanks for sharing this, as a parent I find that comforting about the hospitalisations.
    I hope your little girl has a lovely school experience and wishing her a lifetime of health and happiness

Thank you, and to all the others, for the well wishes... we couldn’t keep her away even if the docs had advised us to, she’s so excited about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Well Holy God :eek: Dara the minister for agriculture should be sorting out the meat plants, people will revolt against this government and their "restrictions and recommendations"

If only the Gardai had special powers to be able to break up these massive indoor parties...

Oranage2 wrote: »
    If only the Gardai had special powers to be able to break up these massive indoor parties...

Better off leaving the house parties go as mostly younger people and open up back the pubs and get things back to normal.

Start building up herd immunity. Your never going to eliminate the virus.

People 60 or should take pension if have one or given the state pension at 60 for a while and cocoon. People with underlying conditions continue on the 350 a week.

Open back the pubs and sporting events. Its getting ridicolous now. Just have the over 60's self isolate and people with underlying conditions self isolate.

Its coming to this pretty soon, especially with the schools reopening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    How many worldwide have died from it now

From it directly? Nobody has a clue.

And it's still the wrong question.

The question, come Janueay, is what was the annual excess mortality, then you'll know the true figure and how much of an impact it really had.

We're years away from herd immunity. Not going to happen without massive damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Better off leaving the house parties go as mostly younger people.

Ah the old herd immunity, with only young people getting it, argument. We've been there done that with this argument long ago. It sucked then and still does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭political analyst

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0820/1160204-world-covid/
    Europe can combat Covid-19 without full lockdowns now that authorities are better prepared and have gained knowledge about how to fight it in recent months, the World Health Organization (WHO) has said.

"With the basic nationwide and additional targeted measures, we are in a much better position to stamp out these localised virus flare-ups," the head of the WHO's European branch, Hans Kluge, told reporters.

"We can manage the virus and keep the economy running and an education system in operation," he added.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Ah the old herd immunity, with only young people getting it, argument. We've been there done that with this argument long ago. It sucked then and still does.

Why, sure the schools and colleges are opening back now aren't they? This is the plan going forward.

Better off leaving the house parties go as mostly younger people and open up back the pubs and get things back to normal.

People 60 or should take pension if have one or given the state pension at 60 for a while and cocoon. People with underlying conditions continue on the 350 a week.

Open back the pubs and sporting events. Its getting ridicolous now. Just have the over 60's self isolate and people with underlying conditions self isolate.

Its coming to this pretty soon, especially with the schools reopening.

In theory, that might eliminate the virus.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

Well your rigorous scientific reasoning has won me over.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    We're years away from herd immunity. Not going to happen without massive damage.

So we continue forever like this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Thank you, and to all the others, for the well wishes... we couldn’t keep her away even if the docs had advised us to, she’s so excited about it.
    Best of luck to ye, ye are definitely in my thoughts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

It seems our elite can't count. 80 is greater than 50.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40035389.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭Allinall

In theory, that might eliminate the virus.

Thankfully we live in the real world, and not a theorised one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It seems our elite can't count. 80 is greater than 50.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40035389.html
    They are coming out with some rubbish about them being split between two rooms....and apparently Dara Calleary only appeared briefly....hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Spiderman0081

Or mortality rate based on those figures is around 2%.
    The mortality rate in Stockholm, a hard hit city using the official confirmed cases for ages 0-69 is 0.1%.
    The overall mortality rate imo won’t be much higher when all the data is collected in a year or two.

So we continue forever like this?

No, not forever. The word is figuring out the best path out of this with the least damage (of all sorts). Best hope still lies with the vaccine.

Allinall wrote: »

Sure when the schools reopen is no different to having pubs open now and people attending sporting events and going back to work.

1,000 teenagers tightly packed into a school? That's worse than any meat factory in the country and then showing no symptons and going home infecting their parents and possible elderly relatives?

So my theory is over 60's have to self isolate and people with underlying conditions. Let the world get on with it.

In theory anyway this is happening when the schools reopen so there's no real point arguing about it as its happening.

With schools reopening the country will be back to normal thank God.

Fit, young and healthy people don't need to be in lockdown.

Allinall wrote: »

The fear propagated by NPHET and media is ENTIRELY theoretical.

Herd immunity is now being proved in real world examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

gmisk wrote: »
    They are coming out with some rubbish about them being split between two rooms....and apparently Dara Calleary only appeared briefly....hmmm

Do as we say, not as we do. These guys really have no understanding of the word credibility.

• Advertisement

Silly question, but why can't secondary students school from home with lessons online?

It seems the younger ones don't spread the virus as much.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement