Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I watched a video on medcram that had a very interesting alternative that could be up and running a lot quicker then a vaccine (that maybe he promising but possibly still a long time away).

Was very simple really, that significant resources (funds) going into a vaccine be diverted to produce a €1 test can everybody can do at home And get results within minutes. Everybody can literally test themselves every day. Even if the test results were only a significantly high percentage like (can’t remember the percentage but not 100%) accurate, with mass daily testing (self tests) , the virus would struggle to rise significantly.

Seems like everybody is banking everything on a vaccine, just like our government are banking everything on opening schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

“Luckily” she was out the other side before she was 18 months so doesn’t remember it at all, and is as strong as an ox now :)

The conversation was far longer and detailed than my post, and these guys are basically at the absolute top of their game in Ireland if not up there in the top in Europe for their treatments, one an OBE... so a second opinion, in my opinion, is not needed. You’re absolutely right though, I brought up the schools being closed as well but it seems like all of these guys are talking, very frequently, with international colleagues and know as much as can be known at this point.

That's brilliant. I don't mean any disrespect to the doctors when I say second opinions. Generally with big things I always try to triangulate opinions off a number of experts. (dangerous to use that word here)

Got the idea from the Ray Dalio book principles. He's worth about 17 billion and tells how one doctor said that he should be disembowelled to curtail the growth of a cancer. He got 3 world class people on the phone and they suggested a far less radical course of action. Then 2 more confirmed it. We can't all do that but two can help.

Won't post whole thing here but have a read.

http://meaningring.com/2019/05/03/life-principles-3-4/

523667.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 regulators

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Silly question, but why can't secondary students school from home with lessons online?

It seems the younger ones don't spread the virus as much.

They do but don't show any symptons.

There is going to be over a million people packed into cramped conditions when the schools reopen. I hope that sinks into peoples heads.

This is not including colleges.

Then all of them going hope to siblings and parents and possibly infecting them.

Reopen schools and keep a lot of the country locked down doesn't make sense.

And people giving out about a few people having a few pints and house parties. Give me a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Allinall wrote: »
    Thankfully we live in the real world, and not a theorised one.

Like those real world models, eh, that were used and readjusted downward to the tune of hundreds of thousands. They are theories. Science is all theory. And that is the real world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Do as we say, not as we do. These guys really have no understanding of the word credibility.
    Yup, not sure how many more examples people need to see in order to accept that Ireland's covid restrictions have been ridiculous and should've eased up as soon as the data appeared during lockdown showing the curve was flattened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Silly question, but why can't secondary students school from home with lessons online?

It seems the younger ones don't spread the virus as much.
    You can't really teach the leaving cert online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

No, not forever. The word is figuring out the best path out of this with the least damage (of all sorts). Best hope still lies with the vaccine.

So till then, we live like this, no thanks, society is slowly accepting of the death, time to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

pjohnson wrote: »
    The schools wont see to mid september.

No matter how stubborn they insist on opening them is there not a high chance they would run out of teachers?

I mean how many teachers can a school afford be quarantined if they test positive; if that teachers been in a staff room and is a "close contact" waiting for a test? Who'll teach the kids then?

Not even teach, supervise even. A real dearth of leadership on the matter. Schools are facilities to educate young people. Not expensive baby sitting / crèche services. I think a lot of parents just enjoy the fact kids can go back so they get some time off from their primary role and responsibilities...parenting.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40013891.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

regulators wrote: »
    Well 3.4% of people infected die and just less than 1% with the flu.
    Its also more contagious as people have no herd immunity against a new disease.

There's roughly between 30,000 and 60,000 deaths in the US from flu every year.
    The death toll from Covid-19 currently stands at 177,000 in the US with four months of the year remaining.

Nevertheless my point stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Yup, not sure how many more examples people need to see in order to accept that Ireland's covid restrictions have been ridiculous and should've eased up as soon as the data appeared during lockdown showing the curve was flattened.

There’s plenty of lockdown Larrys around from my experience.

I think a lot of people detached themselves from following the numbers due to fatigue or boredom and aren’t really in tune with how things currently stand.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

They do but don't show any symptons.

There is going to be over a million people packed into cramped conditions when the schools reopen. I hope that sinks into peoples heads.

This is not including colleges.

Then all of them going hope to siblings and parents and possibly infecting them.

Reopen schools and keep a lot of the country locked down doesn't make sense.

And people giving out about a few people having a few pints and house parties. Give me a break.

OK thanks, I had read somewhere that children under the age of 12 or thereabouts have a much lower chance of spreading the virus. I'm not sure if that's true, so I guess we can't depend on it.

But can't secondary kids do lessons online? Provide laptops and Internet if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,628 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

gmisk wrote: »
    They are coming out with some rubbish about them being split between two rooms....and apparently Dara Calleary only appeared briefly....hmmm

Barry Cowen must be grinning from ear to ear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I wonder who is the third choice for that job lol....Jim ocallaghan maybe?!

OK thanks, I had read somewhere that children under the age of 12 or thereabouts have a much lower chance of spreading the virus. I'm not sure if that's true, so I guess we can't depend on it.

But can't secondary kids do lessons online? Provide laptops and Internet if needed.

Oh sorry, only the first line was directed at you. I wasn't having a go.

I think the herd immunity is the only way to go. Keep the over 60's self isolating and people with underlying conditions and get on with our lives.

The virus is never going away so we have to get on with it, no point delaying it so children should go back to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭PixieValentine

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Saw this on twitter earlier… the whole situation is SO not funny of course, but I have to admit this did make me chuckle!

https://twitter.com/higginsdavidw/status/1296519068506349568?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Hurrache wrote: »
    Public gatherings risk community spread. That's all there is to it.
    But yet I can go to an indoor theatre with 50 people for as long as I want or a wedding.

Same points apply then, how did they travel to the theatre, did they meet people before, will they meet people after , oh and its indoor, a hell of a lot more risk than outdoor.

You can see where people have issues no ?

Also that video from Glynn and I've watched it didn't clear much up at all. I've also read the NPHET report and that's very light on specific evidence also.

This whole thing has been a mess since it was announced

While I can't stand Veradkar, in his time as Taoiseach there was some semblence of logic behind decisions taken, and you could nearly believe the "all in this together".

The decisions now make no sense in terms of their consistency, and when you lose the people believing in the message the damage is done imo.
    My mother (80) has become one of the "I've had enough of this, I'm going out to live my life" brigade, the bravado she is showing is actually quite impressive given some younger people I know are afraid of their own shadows in this.

If people who have contracted the virus and know they have it stay at home for a fortnight then they won't pass it on to others. So why would any of them feel obliged to tell their GPs if they're not seriously ill?

If don't contact their doc and arrange a test how do they know that they contracted covid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Are you aware how poor internet access is in many parts of the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

gmisk wrote: »
    They are coming out with some rubbish about them being split between two rooms....and apparently Dara Calleary only appeared briefly....hmmm

It is a stupid rule. Irrational. I don’t hold it against him.

So if we properly look at the schools and colleges going back.

That's 1,250,000 in education in tightly packed buildings.

Lets say out of 1,250,000 there is 1,000,000 parents these people in education are going back home to. That brings it up to 2,250,000 of people not really self isolating and in large crowds.

These 1,000,000 parents are then going into work possibly passing it onto people in their work place.

A lot of these people won't show any symptoms or only have a mild illness.

Its a never ending circle so time to bite the bullet and just have the over 60's cocoon and people with underlying illnesses.

It has to come to this eventually. We can't live in this circle forever.

(I have know idea about the parents number but there is 1,250,000 in full time education in this country)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Pentecost

It is a stupid rule. Irrational. I don’t hold it against him.

Not really the point when you're a newly appointed government minister and your government has just announced restrictions.

So till then, we live like this, no thanks, society is slowly accepting of the death, time to move on.

You said this at the start of this and your still wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Well your rigorous scientific reasoning has won me over.
    As that wasn't the intention, I don't give a toss.

I've given up trying to win anybody over and will concentrate on trying to protect my family and myself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Are you aware how poor internet access is in many parts of the country?

I am :(

But I guess it doesn't have to be an all or nothing approach.

School from home where possible, give kids time off if outbreaks in the area, it's going to be a patchwork of measures.

It's a tough one, and I'm glad I'm not the person who has to decide, but the government's approach is despicable. Totally throwing in the towel. Cowards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭political analyst

DubInMeath wrote: »
    If don't contact their doc and arrange a test how do they know that they contracted covid?

They might not know but they probably would suspect they have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Bang on 136
    I'll fill you in tomorrow,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Incredible numbers. 73% of those found to gave antibodies had symptoms. Why are so many of the recent cases asymptomatic

Not all people are susceptible to this virus and even though they have the virus antibodies may not be produced by immune system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭gifted

I'll fill you in tomorrow,

Feck the covid numbers....any chance of the lotto numbers...pm obviously lol lol

They might not know but they probably would suspect they have it.

Then they need to go to their doctor to confirm don't they.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Gruffalox wrote: »
    Yourdeadwright was dead right.
    He should make the announcement at 12.30 daily.

I will when I get the news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

A significant cohort of highly qualified people (epidemiologists / virologists) who get paid lots of money to have opinions / ideas / devise strategies on these things, say you are incorrect.

By any chance are these the same 'experts' that informed us last January that this virus would be confined to China and we had little or nothing to worry about.??
    And were some of them involved in the scam 20 years ago when they posted all of us iodine tablets in preparation for the inevitable meltdown of Sellafield...:mad:

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Then they need to go to their doctor to confirm don't they.

Do you think most people are going to bother get tested for Covid-19 if they have a slight cough.

Think about it.

It’s not well known yet. Warrants precaution.

https://twitter.com/erictopol/status/1296453662022291457?s=21

Incredible numbers. 73% of those found to gave antibodies had symptoms. Why are so many of the recent cases asymptomatic

https://metro-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/metro.co.uk/2020/08/18/is-coronavirus-weakening-13145365/amp/?usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D&amp_js_v=0.1#metro-comments-container

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There is nothing straightforward about this virus, it’s so weird. We are just existing in sci-fi land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I think the herd immunity is the only way to go. Keep the over 60's self isolating and people with underlying conditions and get on with our lives.

The virus is never going away so we have to get on with it...

So, in effect, retirement age drops to 60 until a vaccine is found? Do you realise how many in the labour market are over 60 and how much over 60s contribute to the economy and what pensioning them off will cost?

It's only a guesstimate from two counties. GP Ciara Kelly had it in March and done 5 antibody tests for and her family. All nil. We are seriously underestimating t cells.I think it is multiples of that.

Which goes to prove that she never had Covid19 in the first place, along with her cronies Tubridy and Claire Byrne, all of whom crave public attention.
    Or maybe they had the special 'celebrity version' emulating Tom Hanks, Banderos and a few other dim-wits like themselves...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Must say I'm shocked by that seroprevalence study,Sligo maybe not that surprising but how could so few people have contracted it in Dublin. Let's hope that the T cell immunity theory comes to be further explained and proven or else hospitals are in for a rough time the next few months.

Blondini wrote: »
    I predict absenteeism amongst teachers between 10 and 20% from the start.

Just as things were pre-covid so...;);)

washman3 wrote: »
    Which goes to prove that she never had Covid19 in the first place, along with her cronies Tubridy and Claire Byrne, all of whom crave public attention.
    Or maybe they had the special 'celebrity version' emulating Tom Hanks, Banderos and a few other dim-wits like themselves...:mad:

People get covid to varying degrees. From asymptomatic to death. Why would they not have had it if they tested positive?

• Advertisement

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    So, in effect, retirement age drops to 60 until a vaccine is found? Do you realise how many in the labour market are over 60 and how much over 60s contribute to the economy and what pensioning them off will cost?

Yep what else can you do, keep closing down counties, schools, colleges, factories, building sites, offices, Supermarkets etc. and testing every single person when there is an outbreak?

As I said it's just going to keep going around in circles. It's not going away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

Not saying I necessarily agree with his suggestion but is it not a better idea than keeping a significant number of the under 60 age groups also not working?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Very sorry I'm sure. I thought the guidelines according to his boss were "very clear"
    https://twitter.com/MaryERegan/status/1296533755725832194?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

So what's the excuse for tonights 136

Yeah complete crisis actors. Like the ones in china and every other country since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

spookwoman wrote: »
    Why do you try to provoke argument? Why are you looking for an excuse?

Bit harsh there lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Honestly... I'm getting put off reading this thread as it appears no matter what the number a certain number of posters will make an excuse as to why it's high.

It could be a million cases tomorrow and sure it's not accurate.... Etc. Be grand. Etc.

I see that the Netherlands cases from the 2nd - 15th of August is 7,700

We are not doing too badly

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Minister and a load of Senators had a hoolie

:)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement