Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

I don't trust that data. We have 6% mortality based on positive tests recorded. Serology said three times cases. Mortality is now 2% based on serology est. Yet internationally mortality is seen as maybe. 0.5%.Something doesn't add up. I think it's much greater spread. Historians can tell us in time, atm we are fumbling in the dark. De Gascun thought 5%. Ciara Kelly confirmed positive along with family members. Did Anti body tests negative, even though she tested positive in March.

I’m inclined to agree and believe it has to be higher given other country’s experience.

But playing devils advocate, the flip side is a bit scarier. Maybe it has spread heavily and loads have got it, but 1.7% antibodies is still correct. As in 98.3%, some of which may have already had it, are still susceptible.

The likelihood is that even if antibodies are low, and therefore aren’t detectable, they may provide some protection. But we just don’t know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I don't trust that data. We have 6% mortality based on positive tests recorded. Serology said three times cases. Mortality is now 2% based on serology est. Yet internationally mortality is seen as maybe. 0.5%.Something doesn't add up. I think it's much greater spread. Historians can tell us in time, atm we are fumbling in the dark. De Gascun thought 5%. Ciara Kelly confirmed positive along with family members. Did Anti body tests negative, even though she tested positive in March.

Mortality varies massively by country, it's thought to be as low as 0.15% in India and in parts of Europe such as Spain and Italy over 1%. Overall global estimate is 0,65%. With 65% of our deaths in nursing homes it's no surprise that the national IFR may be that high, although this is a false inflation due to neglect allowing rampant infection among this vulnerable group. Although I do agree there may be a lot of infections slipping under the radar due to diminishing antibodies etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I was skeptical about RTE sticking the knife into Dara Callery, but Prime Time were all over it in fairness. There'll be some fireworks over this. But the saving grace for the government is that the Dail is in recess, otherwise SF would be absolutely tearing the hole off him in the Dail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 regulators

Unlikely NPHET are guided by r rate/hospitalisations.

It's a balancing act.

Cannot see bars being opened for the foreseeable though.

Alchohol and SD don't work.

Can you see it working for students in schools in all honesty?

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Mortality varies massively by country, it's thought to be as low as 0.15% in India and in parts of Europe such as Spain and Italy over 1%. Overall global estimate is 0,65%. With 65% of our deaths in nursing homes it's no surprise that the national IFR may be that high. Although I do agree there may be a lot of infections slipping under the radar due to diminishing antibodies etc.

We have so many gaps in information around the world.

Cases missing/Deaths under/overstated/level of care of sick/demographics.

It's all a guessing game.

regulators wrote: »
    Can you see it working for students in schools in all honesty?

Nope, not a chance in a million years. We're all just hoping to God that our hunch about it not spreading easily amongst kids and it not being dangerous to them turns out to be correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shockframe

Fianna Fail are some ticket lads.

In 2010 they were trying to tell us that a severe National emergency wasn't happening even as the IMF were knocking on the door.

In 2020 they are placing restricitons left right and center for what they reckon is a severe National Emergency even when in a lot of places it looks like it isn't right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Arghus wrote: »
    Nope, not a chance in a million years. We're all just hoping to God that our hunch about it not spreading easily amongst kids and it not being dangerous to them turns out to be correct.

We're among the last country to send kids to school, we'd likely know that by now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,834 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Anyone else hitting a covid wall? Government's communication, hypocrisy, entitlement and inconsistencies doing nothing for people's morale.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ce he sin

There is an Italian Dr. saying the disease does not exist anymore in Italy, in that it does not cause the same illness in March. We live in hope.. :pac:
    That doctor (he made the claim some time ago) is being trotted out here every few days.
    Meantime the number in ICU in Italy continues to rise, and sadly for those hoping that herd immunity has been reached in the regions most affected earlier this year it's those same regions again. We can only hope that treatment has improved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Michael Cawley resigned straight away for doing nothing wrong.
    Dara Calleary what do you say as a minister clearly breaching public health advice ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Longing

Interesting piece now about the lack of deaths lately worldwide despite resurgences

I'm not watching. But they are taking sh*t if they are saying worldwide deaths are decreasing.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/worldwide-graphs/#daily-deaths

Ce he sin wrote: »
    That doctor (he made the claim some time ago) is being trotted out here every few days.
    Meantime the number in ICU in Italy continues to rise, and sadly for those hoping that herd immunity has been reached in the regions most affected earlier this year it's those same regions again. We can only hope that treatment has improved.

Don't think your up to date on your info. Hospitalisations are really low in Italy atm. 90% of the 900 cases today announced in Italy have no symptoms.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Eod100 wrote: »
    Anyone else hitting a covid wall? Government's communication, hypocrisy, entitlement and inconsistencies doing nothing for people's morale.

Yep it feels like there is no clarity on anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭road_high

We're among the last country to send kids to school, we'd likely know that by now

Sadly we’re not a very practical stoic nation. Many are very easily panicked and tend to hit the emotional button at every given opportunity. They’re not capable of calmly looking at statistics and demand a zero risk approach to all life which just isn’t practical. That’s why it’s such a meal getting schools/anything reopened. Plus welfare and public expenditure is too freely available there’s little incentive to get back to a (As possible) normal productive life.
    Countries in Europe have been through far worse in their recent histories, we stood back from all that as we usually do which may have given them a greater sense of perspective on something like this.

Longing wrote: »
    I'm not watching. But they are taking sh*t if they are saying worldwide deaths are decreasing.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/worldwide-graphs/#daily-deaths

Indeed global deaths yesterday were the same as the numbers reported worldwide in late April. Cases are much higher than that time obviously due to increased testing, but deaths are far from low unless the peak in April is considered to be a low number of deaths .

Do you've a link for that? I havnt heard anything about increased hospitalisations in Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Arghus wrote: »
    I was skeptical about RTE sticking the knife into Dara Callery, but Prime Time were all over it in fairness. There'll be some fireworks over this. But the saving grace for the government is that the Dail is in recess, otherwise SF would be absolutely tearing the hole off him in the Dail.

Now being reported by the Independent that Phil Hogan was at the function, which raises further quarantine issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

We have so many gaps in information around the world.

Cases missing/Deaths under/overstated/level of care of sick/demographics.

It's all a guessing game.

The biggest gap in our knowledge about Covid is why so many people who have been exposed to the virus have not been infected. I know of two households where one or two members have tested positive and several others have not.
    I have yet to hear an explanation as to why people who would have no immunity have not become infected even though other members of their family were symptomatic, (and presumably infectious), for a number of days.
    Has there been any research on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Mad theories are very welcome though if they can be discussed without petty jibes, etc, it’s great to look at this like this from many perspectives.

It is indeed all speculation, but with the fractured data sources (hse reports, hspc briefings/statements, covid dashboard, testing data, etc) it’s very difficult to source and analyse all the data, and if you instead just took everything from a couple of news sources, you’d see a completely different picture, varying even from source to source.

Of course in a busy thread it’ll get a bit messy sometimes, but I’m always interested in seeing friends and families regurgitate ridiculous news. Remember in early April when ICU was “full”? I’ve become the ACitizenErased of my family. My mam sent me a link to an RTÉ story about suspect cases in hospital at 170 or something along with “is this exaggerated?” ;) Yes ma, don’t cancel your walk with your friend tomorrow. It’s ok.

Reports coming in a different times doesn't help but adding a biased commentary to the numbers is not helping. I have found the excuses borderline to full blown tinfoil hat especially when many of the same posters demand peer reviewed data / reports when someone else posts a news paper article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Roger_007 wrote: »
    The biggest gap in our knowledge about Covid is why so many people who have been exposed to the virus have not been infected. I know of two households where one or two members have tested positive and several others have not.
    I have yet to hear an explanation as to why people who would have no immunity have not become infected even though other members of their family were symptomatic, (and presumably infectious), for a number of days.

Is it a similar situation to those who rarely seem to pick up a cold. Our whole house could be coughing and sneezing but my wife wouldnt even get a sniffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Government ministers are immune from Covid19 apparently. They can do what they want but tell us that 15 people are only allowed at an indoor golf event. RESIGN.

Don't think your up to date on your info. Hospitalisations are really low in Italy atm. 90% of the 900 cases today announced in Italy have no symptoms.

I'm afraid I am. Here are the figures for intensive care:
    6 Aug 42
    7 Aug 42
    8 Aug 43
    9 Aug 45
    10 Aug 46
    11 Aug 49
    12 Aug 53
    13 Aug 55
    14 Aug 56
    15 Aug 55
    16 Aug 56
    17 Aug 58
    18 Aug 58
    19 Aug 66
    20 Aug 68

Yes, the numbers are low compared to a couple of months ago, but they're up more than 50% in two weeks. It won't take long for the numbers to become large again.

There is definitely people who are much more immune to this than others due to hereditary/previous exposure/age. There is no way 98% of population are susceptible to this in my humble opinion. It will take us years to understand these things though.

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Yep it feels like there is no clarity on anything

It's also the feeling that summer is over and feeling on missed out everything that normally happens in a usual summer, going into autumn/winter with bad weather and long evenings and massive uncertainty. We will overcome I'm sure but good to acknowledge how crap it's been for everyone now and again. And that's of course not to take away from people who have died and got seriously ill and their families, all the healthcare workers and essential workers.

6 Aug 42
    7 Aug 42
    8 Aug 43
    9 Aug 45
    10 Aug 46
    11 Aug 49
    12 Aug 53
    13 Aug 55
    14 Aug 56
    15 Aug 55
    16 Aug 56
    17 Aug 58
    18 Aug 58
    19 Aug 66
    20 Aug 68

Yes, the numbers are low compared to a couple of months ago, but they're up more than 50% in two weeks. It won't take long for the numbers to become large again.

68 out of 60 million population. That would be like 5 in our country. Extremely low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

spookwoman wrote: »
    Ones I know are taking extreme care as well.

The vulnerable friends of those who take extreme care are taking extreme care... Who'da thunk it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Same thing here. Know of a household where one person had it, one was asymptomatic (but positive), a third just didnt get it.

Would be supported by numbers from regions where it more or less appears to have gone right through. Antibodies to varying degrees but always a large number with nothing at all. They couldn't just have all gotten lucky.

Schools are still closed as far as I'm aware in many jurisdictions. I know that they are still closed in England and they don't go back in Italy until mid September. Obviously they are places elsewhere that have been open, but I don't think it's been that widespread so far.

There's an article here claiming that pupils going back in a North German state are the first to go back in Europe - and that was only a fortnight ago. It's early days yet.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0803/1157119-germany-schools-reopen/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,628 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Now being reported by the Independent that Phil Hogan was at the function, which raises further quarantine issues.

https://twitter.com/Independent_ie/status/1296557560787546114

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

We are so long away from herd immunity, if that is around 70%

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Odds that he self isolated for 2 weeks beforehand? Slim to none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

17 in hospital, increase of 1 (Kerry)
    6 in ICU and 3 ventilated, no change

17 in hospital, increase of 1 (Kerry)
    6 in ICU and 3 ventilated, no change

We are coping very well with the levels of illness from this virus.

I wish all the best to those in care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    We are coping very well with the levels of illness from this virus.

I wish all the best to those in care.

Let's all hope it stays this low.

igCorcaigh wrote: »

So the US is approaching herd immunity then in some regions perhaps. Would be really interesting to compare with other large countries like Brazil, surely a large percent of Brazilians have contracted Covid by now, likely far more than the 10-20% of Americans given Brazil had no lockdown unlike the states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    He needs to talk some sense into his grandmother by the sounds of it.

Really? Stop talking nonsense. She’s 90 years old and possibly hasn’t much time left anyway. You could get a bad stroke at any minute at that age. I say fair play to her.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Really? Stop talking nonsense. She’s 90 years old and possibly hasn’t much time left. You could get a bad stroke at any minute at that age. I say fair play to her.

You can enjoy your life and still take some sensible precautions I think we could all agree. If she's healthy she may have plenty of years left to live , but Covid would make that unlikely if she were to contract it so unnecessarily with an irrational 'f*ck it' attitude.

For the record I'm against the cocooning concept and total isolation, it's inhumane, especially at that age where every last year is getting more precious . But the poster made it sound as if she has thrown all caution to the wind, it's just a bad time to be doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

bb1234567 wrote: »
    You can enjoy your life and still take some sensible precautions I think we could all agree. If she's healthy she may have plenty of years left to live , but Covid would make that unlikely if she were to contract it through an irrational '**** it' attitude.

How do you know she’s not taking precautions? You can still move around taking precautions. Like i said fair play to her because we don’t know when it will end. There’s no guarantee living “ plenty of years” when your 90.

I was shopping for the auld pair today, there was a good few old people in there. I also noticed Dunnes not enforcing the masks either.

68 out of 60 million population. That would be like 5 in our country. Extremely low.
    Like I said....low, but rising. Hopefully the numbers will level off soon, but just a few months ago there were none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

road_high wrote: »
    Sadly we’re not a very practical stoic nation. Many are very easily panicked and tend to hit the emotional button at every given opportunity. They’re not capable of calmly looking at statistics and demand a zero risk approach to all life which just isn’t practical. That’s why it’s such a meal getting schools/anything reopened. Plus welfare and public expenditure is too freely available there’s little incentive to get back to a (As possible) normal productive life.
    Countries in Europe have been through far worse in their recent histories, we stood back from all that as we usually do which may have given us a greater sense of perspective on something like this.

Can you give me an example of a school in Europe or anywhere, with similar class sizes or teacher/pupil ratio to Ireland, where masks are not mandatory, where if possible just 1m social distance is to be achieved, and where similar guidelines to Ireland are followed, where there has been a successful return to school? Genuine question.

I agree with your general point that other nation's are more used to dealing with trauma than us and also I agree that pupils have to get back to school, but there's room for more nuance than repeatedly shouting "the schools have to go back, end of" and dismissing any concerns with disparaging remarks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Another type of Irish classroom MM will be running to tomorrow I'm sure

https://twitter.com/sfaysocialist/status/1296485244644872194

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I’ll let my grandmother know Jim_Hodge is very disappointed in her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

6 Aug 42
    7 Aug 42
    8 Aug 43
    9 Aug 45
    10 Aug 46
    11 Aug 49
    12 Aug 53
    13 Aug 55
    14 Aug 56
    15 Aug 55
    16 Aug 56
    17 Aug 58
    18 Aug 58
    19 Aug 66
    20 Aug 68

Are these numbers correct? If so, Italy is doing superb

khalessi wrote: »
    Another type of Irish classroom MM will be running to tomorrow I'm sure

https://twitter.com/sfaysocialist/status/1296485244644872194

Wasn't he a secondary school teacher himself? He said he isn't in politics for the money, would he go back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

This Clifden party with FF+FG will make people so angry now. The government have completely lost their authority in recent weeks.

road_high wrote: »
    Countries in Europe have been through far worse in their recent histories, we stood back from all that as we usually do which may have given us a greater sense of perspective on something like this.

We are a relatively wealthy western european country. Why would people take unnecessary risks unless they had no choice? Those other countries you refer to probably didn't have a choice in their situations. Previous generations in this country went through plenty of "hard times". The famine, civil war, depopulation of the country from 1850s to 1970s, the troubles, complete banking collapse. Plenty of hard times there, but you don't make a bad situation worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

April 16th was brought up at this evenings press conference. Was it the peak date? For comparison and some perspective.

Cases - April 16th 629 v today 136
    Deaths - April 16th 43 v today 1
    People in hospital - April 16th 865 v today 17
    People in ICU - April 16th 144 v today 6

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement