Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I know rightly what my friends and family are all doing to keep as safe as we possibly can. He needs to talk some sense into his grandmother by the sounds of it.

The woman is 90 years of age!! It makes perfect sense to me that she live out the rest of her life as she sees fit and not lock herself away.

My father is almost 78. Cocooning would be worse than Covid so he chooses to continue on living. He doesn't have decades left so he is going to make the best of what he does have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Hard to call what's going to happen about the party. If he's going to go he'll be gone quick enough because it won't be allowed to hang around and become a bigger problem like Barry Cowen was. But he might just be able to brass neck it out - because there was all sorts at it from all political parties and judges and journalists. That's some handy cover and people mightn't want too many questions asked about their own colleagues behaviour.

The apology stinks though. Ah, I'm really sorry now that I've been rumbled.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ce he sin

Are these numbers correct? If so, Italy is doing superb

Well, they're from the source that worldometers uses....
    Not sure how you can describe them as superb. Case numbers continue to rise (they're now back to late May figures) and there's a lag between notifications and entry to intensive care. Time will tell I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,834 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Even Bosco has come out against Calleary.. :pac:

https://twitter.com/boscosbox/status/1296546972854358018

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I suspect I know more of them than you and most are definitely taking extreme care.
    Strange comment :confused: I've a almost-90 year old grandmother who meets with her friend in cafe's every week, drives around doing shopping herself with barely any extra precautions other than a mask. Her friends do the same. Most older/vulnerable people are sick to death of staying at home.

Not the vulnerable people I know.
    Vicxas wrote: »
    Most vulnerable people are cocooning.
    The woman is 90 years of age!! It makes perfect sense to me that she live out the rest of her life as she sees fit and not lock herself away.

My father is almost 78. Cocooning would be worse than Covid so he chooses to continue on living. He doesn't have decades left so he is going to make the best of what he does have.

As is my mother at 80. Totally had enough of the Government advice, especially the contradictory nature of it. Living her life and enjoying herself, while taking normal precautions like everyone else.

I've heard far more from people on here going on with the "don't forget the elderly", "what about the elderly", etc, but none of the elderly people I know are panicking just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Calleary has to resign surely?

Italy has far superior data than ours. The vast majority are at home and hospitalisation is extremely low.

They have the current case numbers. First column is hospital, second is ICU third is home. No indication of presymptomatic or asymptomatic.

523654.png[/QUOTE]

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

El Sueño wrote: »

You would think so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Eod100 wrote: »
    Even Bosco has come out against Calleary.. :pac:

https://twitter.com/boscosbox/status/1296546972854358018

Betcha Bosco wouldn't be coming out if it was a non-white person, or perhaps a member of another minority religion though. Bosco is pretty left wing for a puppet.

It's a tricky one as FG senators at it too so they might not push too hard for that. SF will rightly make it an issue but as Dail off might brazen it out. Because government is so weak I wouldn't be surprised if he did tbh. It can't afford to sacrifice any goodwill they have left for 1 minister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

The gift that keeps on giving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

As is my mother at 80. Totally had enough of the Government advice, especially the contradictory nature of it. Living her life and enjoying herself, while taking normal precautions like everyone else.

I've heard far more from people on here going on with the "don't forget the elderly", "what about the elderly", etc, but none of the elderly people I know are panicking just yet.
    It's also to do with keeping hospital numbers down, out of ICU and off ventilators.
    I know my parents are taking precautions because they don't want the virus, die and being a bed blocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

April 16th was brought up at this evenings press conference. Was it the peak date? For comparison and some perspective.

Cases - April 16th 629 v today 136
    Deaths - April 16th 43 v today 1
    People in hospital - April 16th 865 v today 17
    People in ICU - April 16th 144 v today 6

Re - April 16th < 1 v today > 1 for completeness and a better perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Arghus wrote: »
    Hard to call what's going to happen about the party. If he's going to go he'll be gone quick enough because it won't be allowed to hang around and become a bigger problem like Barry Cowen was. But he might just be able to brass neck it out - because there was all sorts at it from all political parties and judges and journalists. That's some handy cover and people mightn't want too many questions asked about their own colleagues behaviour.

The apology stinks though. Ah, I'm really sorry now that I've been rumbled.

The inconsistencies of Irish society are being laid bare in a big way.
    Whether it be the meat plant conditions.
    The direct provision **** show.
    The political circus.

There is a real dearth of leadership. It's lamentable really.

Ce he sin wrote: »
    I'm afraid I am. Here are the figures for intensive care:
    6 Aug 42
    7 Aug 42
    8 Aug 43
    9 Aug 45
    10 Aug 46
    11 Aug 49
    12 Aug 53
    13 Aug 55
    14 Aug 56
    15 Aug 55
    16 Aug 56
    17 Aug 58
    18 Aug 58
    19 Aug 66
    20 Aug 68

Yes, the numbers are low compared to a couple of months ago, but they're up more than 50% in two weeks. It won't take long for the numbers to become large again.

Italy has far superior data than ours. The vast majority are at home and hospitalisation is extremely low.

They have the current case numbers. First column is hospital, second is ICU third is home. No indication of presymptomatic or asymptomatic.

From earlier poster.

523654.png[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

That's a good question. He was stupid to attend the dinner, and it's only right that there is backlash. And the excuses about "it was divided in two" were rubbish.

But on the other hand, should politicians always resign if they make a mistake? For example, Simon Harris had that one interview where he talked about the 19th Covid, should he have resigned after that?

Polar101 wrote: »
    That's a good question. He was stupid to attend the dinner, and it's only right that there is backlash. And the excuses about "it was divided in two" were rubbish.

But on the other hand, should politicians always resign if they make a mistake? For example, Simon Harris had that one interview where he talked about the 19th Covid, should he have resigned after that?

Of course not because that was an instant brain fart vs deliberate decision to attend the event, presumably invite went out in advance, had to arrange getting there etc, all conscious decisions. I can't see how his position is anyway tenable tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Queried

April 16th was brought up at this evenings press conference. Was it the peak date? For comparison and some perspective.

Cases - April 16th 629 v today 136
    Deaths - April 16th 43 v today 1
    People in hospital - April 16th 865 v today 17
    People in ICU - April 16th 144 v today 6

Very interesting stats there, thanks for sharing. It's very heartening to see the drastic difference in death rates. Presuming this is related to the lower age of people contracting the virus at the moment. We need to keep the vulnerable safe. My worry is that it won't be easy coming into winter months. Some simply are not interested in cocooning and I really do understand why. Going to visit my grandparents tomorrow, who live a few hours away, and they were so upset when I told them I wouldnt be staying with them, instead staying in a hotel, was not an easy task. Don't want to think too much about Christmas because it's crap but who knows where we will be then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,625 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Polar101 wrote: »

You can't compare the two things. They're completely different.

One was a tiny mistake, that really had no material effect.

Callery was at the cabinet meeting with NPHET on Tuesday. MM and Co went out later that day and announced further restrictions and asked people to limit their contacts. And DC - and plenty of others - still went to an event that completely undermines the government's message. At exactly the same time that MM is being crucified for a lack of leadership and mixed messages.

• Advertisement

Eod100 wrote: »
    Of course not because that was an instant brain fart vs deliberate decision to attend the event, presumably invite went out in advance, had to arrange getting there etc, all conscious decisions. I can't see how his position is anyway tenable tbh.

I agree there is degrees of messing up. Does the act discredit you as a person? In Harris's case it was a Freudian slip that any of us could probably make. Personally I never heard of SD herd immunity or r rate before 2020. Whereas he broke rules that he knew or ought to have known.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I agree there is degrees of messing up. Does the act discredit you as a person? In Harris's case it was a Freudian slip that any of us could probably make. Personally I never heard of SD herd immunity or r rate before 2020. Whereas he broke rules that he knew or ought to have known.

Well he has given MM a chance to show leadership now, but I guess he hasn't got the balls for it.

Well he has given MM a chance to show leadership now, but I guess he hasn't got the balls for it.

To sack 2 ministers in 2 months? Reeling in the years for 2020 will be about two hours long when it comes out. Every day is stuff that would happen over months in other years. As Leo said there are decades we're nothing happens and there are weeks we're decades happen.

To sack 2 ministers in 2 months? Reeling in the years for 2020 will be about two hours long when it comes out. Every day is stuff that would happen over months in other years. As Leo said there are decades we're nothing happens and there are weeks we're decades happen.

That was a quote from Lenin!

Leo stole it as he did many during this year :):pac::pac:

I miss his Hollywood style speeches. He was actually quite good at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I am the walrus?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Leo stole it as he did many during this year :):pac::pac:

I miss his Hollywood style speeches. He was actually quite good at them.

Ugh

Let's see what happens, he might be forced into it

https://twitter.com/oconnellhugh/status/1296575362760093697?s=19

Reeling in the years 2020 might need an hour long special

I am the walrus?

V.I. Lenin. Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Feature length film I reckon with a possibility of sequels

A person staying at the hotel with his family told the Irish Times he saw no evidence of social distancing when he witnessed the attendees arriving.

“No masks. No distancing,” said the the witness who asked that his name not be used.

He said he had to push his kids through two Oireachtas members whom he recognised to try to get to the lift.

“My 11 year old who is Covid anxious was hugely upset. The hotel has been brilliant all week on all Covid aspects. This was a really strange event with all that in mind.

“At the reception people were being introduced to each other and shaking hands. No distancing and no masks. We were flabbergasted.”

https://twitter.com/ConorGallaghe_r/status/1296582419441745920?s=19

Looks like his goose is already cooked so.

The fall out of who else was at it could get very messy.

Looks like his goose is already cooked so.

The fall out of who else was at it could get very messy.

A few senators there too, if one goes they'll all have to go surely

Just watched back Prime time. Anthony Staines was insufferable. Didn’t want to debate at all. Dismissed the Harvard Professor completely. Also the mask was a bit much in fairness. Another lad that needs his air time reduced to nothing at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Dock them all 4% (fourteen days) salary and expenses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Senators won’t matter - it’s not as if Dara is resigning as a TD, he will just be kicked out of cabinet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

At this rate it will be a series

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Lot's of deflection going on about Phil Hogan this and Donie Cassidy that but the reality is that Dara Calleary sat at the cabinet table and backed more restrictive Covid-19 measures. Then later that evening he went off and broke those very restrictions that he voted for. His position is blatantly untenable.

If FG really want to kick in FF's teeth they could start by sacking putting a few on the sub bench first

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Senators won’t matter - it’s not as if Dara is resigning as a TD, he will just be kicked out of cabinet.

Thats true, there'll still have to be some sort of reprimand perhaps within the parties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

He shouldn’t get to resign he should be sacked and if he’d any morals he’d resign as a TD

fritzelly wrote: »
    If FG really want to kick in FF's teeth they could start by sacking putting a few on the sub bench first

You have the killer instinct!

But yeah FG take the high ground and reprimand some senators, pile the pressure on MM

Lot's of deflection going on about Phil Hogan this and Donie Cassidy that but the reality is that Dara Calleary sat at the cabinet table and backed more restrictive Covid-19 measures. Then later that evening he went off and broke those very restrictions that he voted for. His position is blatantly untenable.

One question over Hogan will be when did he come back into the country and did he self isolate.

But yes fully agree after backing measures and doing that position untenable

One question over Hogan will be when did he come back into the country and did he self isolate.

It does have the feel of the night before Cowen was sacked, can’t be an easy night for FF

h2005 wrote: »
    He shouldn’t get to resign he should be sacked and if he’d any morals he’d resign as a TD

You do know this is FF? Right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

h2005 wrote: »

An Irish politican with morals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I think the maximum limit on a golf course is 60, so will the golf club be shut down now?

Just going through some twitter replies and posts. He will have to resign and so will any other TD or senator. They blatantly broke the rules.
    The amount of people responding about funerals, christenings etc is hard to read.
    The Government once schools are open need to take stock, lay back and let the Irish people be irish people. Trust us to be responsible. I know I am and will continue to be.
    If I was a betting man and I’d hope I’m wrong, Mary Lou will be in the hot seat come January/February

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

I was no big fan of Leo, Harris and Co but they look competent compared to the pack of clowns in government calling the shots now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Anyone in a political office involved should be gone in the morning.

https://twitter.com/jerrybuttimer/status/1247921768477659136?s=20

^ Here's Butts talking out of two holes simultaneously.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement