Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Drumpot wrote: »
    Just had lunch with my sister.

I remember her partner was tested few months back when he was sick and it was negative. He works in health and safety and got these new tests that supposedly check for antibodies aswell and it seems he has some anti bodies which means he had (had not has edit) COVID.

She has a friend in UCD who said 25% of tests can give false positives.

I don’t find this alarming as I still think it’s easy to forget we are early doors in the pandemic and mistakes will be made. It’s more a good reminder that mistakes are being made and we get the information that our authorities believe are relevant. There’s no conspiracy with this line of thought, more a reminder that there really are variables about the virus we are still trying to figure out, including how to communicate information.

LOL, I assume you are talking about PCR tests LOL, due to the nature of this type of test false positives can only really happen through contamination or carryover, most instrumentation uses disposable tips etc so no carryover. To get 25% false positives then all Lab scientists would need to be contaminating 1 in 4 samples. This is what made me laugh.
    I've a friend in a different college who says that tests can be 25% false negative depending on how the swab is conducted.

Of course I don't have a source for it and neither do you so here we are.

Martina knows the accuracy of the tests I guess. If the false positive rate was 25% we'd have a few more cases. Or is it that 25% of positives are false positives?

Either way commenting on accuracy of tests without any accompanying sources is dodgy territory.

Absolutely this is real life not some Hollywood movie.

False negatives are more likely in PCR, but it’s not the fault of the test. If you take a known positive sample and test it 100 times using 100 tests you probably get either 99 or 100 positive results. This is testing the repeatability of the test or the accuracy.

You take 100 assumed positive patients and test them and you might only get 95 test positive, the test relies on a swab scooping up virus or patients cells infected with the virus. Stuff like Herceptin can affect or inhibit PCR tests but the reality is like other virus is the test window with Covid is normally about 4 days but in some cases can be longer. Just to explain this you could get virus into your system but it takes time for it to culture, replicate and be enough to be reliably scooped up. This is dependent on the viral load and the patient, the higher the viral load the more likelihood that it test positive sooner, lower viral load it’s easier to miss earlier on. There’s no problem with the test it’s the circumstances of the patient that’s the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,625 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

To sack 2 ministers in 2 months? Reeling in the years for 2020 will be about two hours long when it comes out. Every day is stuff that would happen over months in other years. As Leo said there are decades we're nothing happens and there are weeks we're decades happen.

We got get 4 or 5 full season 30 minute 24 episodes and the year 2020 is still on us so more to come :p

A person staying at the hotel with his family told the Irish Times he saw no evidence of social distancing when he witnessed the attendees arriving.

“No masks. No distancing,” said the the witness who asked that his name not be used.

He said he had to push his kids through two Oireachtas members whom he recognised to try to get to the lift.

“My 11 year old who is Covid anxious was hugely upset. The hotel has been brilliant all week on all Covid aspects. This was a really strange event with all that in mind.

“At the reception people were being introduced to each other and shaking hands. No distancing and no masks. We were flabbergasted.”

https://twitter.com/ConorGallaghe_r/status/1296582419441745920?s=19

Has the hotel for the golf event been named yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Has the hotel for the golf event been named yet?

Station House Hotel, Clifden it's listed in the article

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Just watched back Prime time. Anthony Staines was insufferable. Didn’t want to debate at all. Dismissed the Harvard Professor completely. Also the mask was a bit much in fairness. Another lad that needs his air time reduced to nothing at this stage.

Needs his fûckin state pay reduced to nothing... you want to be a prick go somewhere where they pay you and it can be tolerated. The people of this country are done tolerating it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

The bigger picture here is that in Ireland if politicians can do this so blatantly and get away with it, what else are they doing?

FF are hilarious though, Everytime they come back, you think, they've surely learned their lesson. They just can't be honest, it's like a drug addict but they are addicted to getting away with dishonesty lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The bigger picture here is that in Ireland if politicians can do this so blatantly and get away with it, what else are they doing?

FF are hilarious though, Everytime they come back, you think, they've surely learned their lesson. They just can't be honest, it's like a drug addict but they are addicted to getting away with dishonesty lol

GAA should just come out and say well it's grand for all you to have a hooley (in a more dangerous setting) so we're opening our grounds and screw you
    Same goes for every other Irish person to say screw your restrictions

FF are not long for this Dail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

These guys are golden if they make a mistake. Massive state pensions etc, boards of management etc

Their decisions are of little consequence to them.

Stephen Donnelly is the exception here. I honestly think that he doesn't understand the difference of his kids going on a trampoline versus contracting covid.

Credit where credit is due.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I was no big fan of Leo, Harris and Co but they look competent compared to the pack of clowns in government calling the shots now.

Varadkar was a lot better as Taoiseach than Martin. And im no great fan of Varadkar, he’s a pain in the arse at the best of times. But he did have a little bit of authority and you I did feel a little more reassured when he would speak.
    Martin is aloof and offers no such reassurances- if anything he adds to national anxiety with his hallow threats and finger waving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

It is an interesting prospect, if we do go into full lockdown again. I think most people here would agree we won’t have anywhere near the same compliance as we had in March.

Back in March the entire nation was united in justifiable fear. Myself included. 30k possibly could die.

As much as I don’t particularly rate or trust Leo he was able to address the nation, his tone was right, he was able to infer optimism and reassurance in a way that the PM across the water would have paid millions for at the time.

But can you imagine MM trying to do that now, with that conehead omnishambles standing behind him?

I don’t think they’ll even attempt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

We need to calm down as a country.

A Minister being asked to resign for going to a dinner yet no one reprimanded for the real ball dropping that happened with the meat factories?

Getting excited because of 50 people in a Dublin pub yet testing and contact tracing still not at the standard it should be at?

Finger wagging at travellers yet still no testing in the airport unlike other countries.

We are all over the place - we need rational and common sense thinking so that all of us can have as normal as possible a life. Manage risks as best we can.

I know the dinner and the pub did not look good but we do need to think of the big picture here for everyone’s sake.

Nothing from Noel Rock or Simon Harris yet on #GolfGate but plenty about Berlin2 Dame Lane, Donnelly might get some reprieve for #TrampolineGate

Our government is a disgrace, a complete shambles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Nothing from Noel Rock or Simon Harris yet on #GolfGate but plenty about Berlin2 Dame Lane, Donnelly might get some reprieve for #TrampolineGate

Checked Noel rocks twitter he retweeted the article and said it won't end well.
    Nothing from harris but nothing from him for last 9 hrs.
    Story only broke about 4 hours ago so see what happens tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

A Minister being asked to resign for going to a dinner yet no one reprimanded for the real ball dropping that happened with the meat factories?

Getting excited because of 50 people in a Dublin pub yet testing and contact tracing still not at the standard it should be at?

Finger wagging at travellers yet still no testing in the airport unlike other countries.

We are all over the place - we need rational and common thinking so that all of us can have as normal as possible a life. Manage risks as best we can.

I know the dinner and the pub did not look good but we do need to think of the big picture here for everyone’s sake.
    I think if people were disappointed about a nuclear bomb about to hit them, you would come out and say that instead they need to think about how the space programme is going to be affected, just to be oppositional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

The Government and NPHET must be blessed with the timing of that video from The Berlin Bar.

Two things:

1. Where is the outbreak from The Berlin Bar?
    2. For what it's worth, I walked past it Saturday evening, long before I saw the video or knew that happened. Was going to tip in but, I didn't. Didn't see anything that raised any red flags or that got me thinking it was unsafe

• Advertisement

s1ippy wrote: »
    I think if people were disappointed about a nuclear bomb about to hit them, you would come out and say that instead they need to think about how the space programme is going to be affected, just to be oppositional.

So you don’t think we need to calm down and look at the bigger picture?

We are all over the place - we need rational and common thinking so that all of us can have as normal as possible a life. Manage risks as best we can.

Dara is the minister for agriculture over meat plants and while in the role for only a short time that should have been his priority not a golf social event, why should we the people listen to our government when they break the rules by doing the opposite to what they preach, it's damn hard to calm down and not be angry :mad: yes I'm ranting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Agree 100% , corruption and entitlement endemic in them .
    Golf clubs btw will just reduce players on course to 50 at a time .

Dara is the minister for agriculture over meat plants and while in the role for only a short time that should have been his priority not a golf social event, why should we the people listen to our government when they break the rules by doing the opposite to what they preach, it's damn hard to calm down and not be angry :mad: yes I'm ranting

Fair point on the meat plants, although that is also Leo as HSA is under the remit of his Dept.

The Cabinet meeting on Tuesday was a joke - this was a serious governance failing. I think we are probably headed towards an election in the next few weeks the way things are going. I think there is so much else going wrong at this point in time to get excited about a dinner or a pub. I know the optics look bad and it was not good, but it should not distract from far more fundamental failings and lack of strategy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

God leo, we're sorry, come back!

• Advertisement

Fair point on the meat plants, although that is also Leo as HSA is under the remit of his Dept.

The Cabinet meeting on Tuesday was a joke - this was a serious governance failing. I think we are probably headed towards an election in the next few weeks the way things are going. I think there is so much else going wrong at this point in time to get excited about a dinner or a pub. I know the optics look bad and it was not good, but it should not distract from far more fundamental failings and lack of strategy.

Yes . Michael will you be putting your name forward next time ?

Optics is one thing when you bring in a drink driving limit and a minister is found over the limit the next day
    It's another thing when you are in the middle of a pandemic where tens of thousands have lost loved ones and couldn't even say goodbye and a minister sticks up the middle finger the day after restrictions are brought in

More like you will be saying

“Hello Mary Lou
    Goodbye Mickey
    Sweet Mary Lou
    I'm so in love with you…”

fritzelly wrote: »
    Optics is one thing when you bring in a drink driving limit and a minister is found over the limit the next day
    It's another thing when you are in the middle of a pandemic where tens of thousands have lost loved ones and couldn't even say goodbye and a minister sticks up the middle finger the day after restrictions are brought in

And I think that collective Government failure is a far more serious issue.

Tens of thousands losing loved ones?

“Hello Mary Lou
    Goodbye Mickey
    Sweet Mary Lou

If there was an election tomorrow I don't think it would be SF getting into power...

Tens of thousands losing loved ones?

Ermmm yeah - a dead grandmother would have 10 at least that loved them

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Yes . Michael will you be putting your name forward next time ?

Will you vote for me?

Sorry just tuning in. I mean we knew they were a disgrace but that really takes the biscuit. Fvcking golf and they are asking everyone over sixty to hide away or be a martyr. Some neck on those lads.

Ermmm yeah - a dead grandmother would have 10 at least that loved them

I understood (and open to correction) that 10 people were allowed at funerals. I also think that was too few as it was arbitrary given that social distancing could have applied in bigger churches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

They attended because they know we're no longer in a pandemic. It's a casedemic.

• Advertisement

Plenty of people lost people. It's starting to get at the core of who we are. What do we stand for.

I understood (and open to correction) that 10 people were allowed at funerals. I also think that was too few as it was arbitrary given that social distancing could have applied in bigger churches.

A lot more people, than were allowed in the church, couldn't say goodbye that knew and loved them - so tens of thousands is very realistic

But sure tis only a golf dinner with a few lads

Will you vote for me?

Only if I could be your spin doctor- nurse !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

“Hello Mary Lou
    Goodbye Mickey
    Sweet Mary Lou

If Mary gets in you’d be trying to dig up Jack Lynch... Mary gets in and I’m working security on a bank my notice is getting handed in, Jesus... there is being careful what you wish for and.... that.

Agree complete windup I think. As everyone knows. There is no empirical evidence of anyone dying in a nuclear war. Absolutely none. So golf is fine in the circumstance.

Do they just not give a ****.

https://twitter.com/ConorReddy95/status/1296591103643312128?s=20

Strumms wrote: »
    If Mary gets in you’d be trying to dig up Jack Lynch... Mary gets in and I’m working security on a bank my notice is getting handed in, Jesus... there is being careful what you wish for and.... that.

I reckon SF keeping a low profile because they know they will hoover up a lot of FF voters after this shambles. Let the others do the heavy lifting during this and MaryLou will be asked to take over then .
    Think they are all a pack of useless fxxxers at this stage but was pleasantly surprised at Leo and Simon at the start of all this . They struck the right note .
    Big mistake to change Taoiseach and Health Minister in the middle of this , both politically and for our sakes .

If there was an election tomorrow I don't think it would be SF getting into power...

I would hope not but no guarantees. Especially with FF and FG represented so well at the golf club dinners.

I reckon SF keeping a low profile because they know they will hoover up a lot of FF voters after this shambles. Let the others do the heavy lifting during this and MaryLou will be asked to take over then .
    Think they are all a pack of useless fxxxers at this stage but was pleasantly surprised at Leo and Simon at the start of all this . They struck the right note .
    Big mistake to change Taoiseach and Health Minister in the middle of this , both politically and for our sakes .

Said when FF came to coalition power why the hell are they changing the Health Minister in the middle of a pandemic - total madness removing someone who knew the intricacies of what was happening and liaising with NPHET

Said when FF came to coalition power why the hell are they changing the Health Minister in the middle of a pandemic - total madness removing someone who knew the intricacies of what was happening and liaising with NPHET

We lost all three key people around the same time. The Minister, the CMO and the Secretary General of the Dept of Health.

I think the Acting CMO is doing a reasonably good job at the moment.

• Advertisement

We lost all three key people around the same time. The Minister, the CMO and the Secretary General of the Dept of Health.

I think the Acting CMO is doing a reasonably good job at the moment.

Glynn is not doing a bad job - when this started Holohan was a bit of a deer in the headlights
    But Glynn is taking the extremist view on everything and the obvious tensions between NPHET and FF are showing

Exactly in a once in a century event. He had a grasp from early on. That doesn't absolve the sins of the cervical debacle.
    This is literally a matter of national security and we need an A team from whatever party. Doesn't matter. The golf thing is ridiculous.

Yes and when MM came in as Taoiseach said that he was there to do nothing for 2 years and then he will retire on a fat pension ...nothing to lose and only cares about feathering his own nest at this stage ...

New party @MickeyLeari ..." let's get our country flying again ! "
    "Vote Mickey for Taoiseach and I won't just give you peanuts!"

I also like Glynn, just unfortunate that he has to deal with those 2 nincompoops !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I hope to Christ your memory isn't that short.

Like, you know he spends half a million a year just on people advising him? Are you actually taken in by the propaganda? Loads of his ministers were at that dinner as well.

They're all a shower, don't be fooled. Where the hell is he anyway, he's second in command and nowhere to be seen. He's a disgrace.

Yes and when MM came in as Taoiseach said that he was there to do nothing for 2 years and then he will retire on a fat pension ...nothing to lose and only cares about feathering his own nest at this stage ...

New party @MickeyLeari ..." let's get our country flying again ! "
    "Vote Mickey for Taoiseach and I won't just give you peanuts!"

At least the user name is transparent.
    "there is no proof of anyone ever taking the virus from one country to another"
    "it's not a travel related virus"
    Quiz question......

Where is Ryanair's largest European mainland base?
    Bergamo
    Where was the epicentre of infection in Europe?
    Bergamo

They're all a shower, don't be fooled. Where the hell is he anyway, he's second in command and nowhere to be seen. He's a disgrace.

Not getting on with MM it would seem :rolleyes:

I just cannot imagine the two of them in the same room - two totally different persona

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

MD1990 wrote: »
    do workers in these factories use masks while working?
    If not it has to be mandated

Just checking in now, so don't know if your question has been answered but the answer is no. I know a place where masks are required in the common areas but on the floor, it's not required. I don't have a clue why not and nothing is being done about it.

At least the user name is transparent.
    "there is no proof of anyone ever taking the virus from one country to another"
    "it's not a travel related virus"
    Quiz question......

Where is Ryanair's largest European mainland base?
    Bergamo
    Where was the epicentre of infection in Europe?
    Bergamo

But let's not deny so many think he's the man to run the country ?
    (This is tongue in cheek in case anyone takes me seriously , lol )

Glynn is not doing a bad job - when this started Holohan was a bit of a deer in the headlights
    But Glynn is taking the extremist view on everything and the obvious tensions between NPHET and FF are showing

I am not sure Glynn is taking the extremist view - I read Monday’s letter and it was not unreasonable and showed a little more nuance than has been reported.

The problem this week was how we ended up with a full Cabinet meeting (was it the Minister who called this?) where there was no time to get the key people on board in terms of decisions and then we had a divided Cabinet cherry picking the advice which ended up in an absolute mess. They have spent the last two days providing clarifications and this has caused absolute confusion.

I really will not be surprised if we end up with an election. Vatadkar is clearly looking for one and “Golfgate” (does it qualify as a ‘gate’?) may well be the final straw.

Like, you know he spends half a million a year just on people advising him? Are you actually taken in by the propaganda? Loads of his ministers were at that dinner as well.

Ahh Leo and Simon are like ..Wallis and Grommit ;) even look like them

Which of his Ministers were at the dinner?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement