Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mollser

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/aug/21/coronavirus-nsw-hotspots-list-regional-sydney-covid-19-outbreak-locations

Just look at the detail they give in Australia - this is where we need to be going to get on top of this.

Also - the UK seem to be doing ok now - the fear doesn't seem to exist over there like it does here, they are definitely getting on with things and despite some spikes, they're going ok - is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

mollser wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/aug/21/coronavirus-nsw-hotspots-list-regional-sydney-covid-19-outbreak-locations

Just look at the detail they give in Australia - this is where we need to be going to get on top of this.

Also - the UK seem to be doing ok now - the fear doesn't seem to exist over there like it does here, they are definitely getting on with things and despite some spikes, they're going ok - is that right?

Extremely detailed. Would be helpful alright.

I know at the press conferences before journalists asked for more local details and it was said that wouldn't be given to protect paitent identity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

mollser wrote: »

They are at about 20 cases per 100,000 and we are currently at 25 cases. They do seem to be a bit more calm about the whole thing now and less reactive compared to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Jackman25 wrote: »
    I wonder where that poor child is picking up the Covid anxiety

When I heard that my heart sank. Children should not be anxious over this disease. As parents we really need to shield them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

When I heard that my heart sank. Children should not be anxious over this disease. As parents we really need to shield them.

Tis fairly impossible though, when you see many people wearing face protection, and you shield them from the public, questions will be asked, resulting in anxiety

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Problem is children these days don't seem to be shielded from anything. They hear far too much IMO.

When I was a kid my parents would never discuss their finances, someone else marriage, problems etc in front of us. That all seems to be out the window now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭plodder

Extremely detailed. Would be helpful alright.

I know at the press conferences before journalists asked for more local details and it was said that wouldn't be given to protect paitent identity
    We publish statistics down to Electoral Division level but they are totals so easy(er) to keep anonymous. I could understand why they are reluctant to publish daily updates at that level. But, they should be providing much more detail about the settings where infections are occurring. Not least because other people in addition to NPHET would be able to suggest possible mitigations. So, rather than banning all sports spectators, if we knew that groups traveling to and from games was a problem then you could have made a special case for parents traveling with their own children. I'd bet they never even considered that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Ah lads, remember when the only uproar was Leo was having a couple of socially distanced cans in a park shirtless?

Good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

plodder wrote: »
    Calleary has resigned apparently (just announced on RTE radio). What other TDs and senators were at the event?

Noel Grealish the only other sitting TD AFAIK. And who cares about him I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

What yiz reckon numbers wise for this evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Start taking the virus seriously to those who believe in theories and its low death rate etc.

Myocarditis, inflammation of the heart muscle, has been found in at least five Big Ten Conference athletes and among several other athletes in other conferences, according to two sources with knowledge of athletes' medical care.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29633697/heart-condition-linked-covid-19-fuels-power-5-concern-season-viability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Problem is children these days don't seem to be shielded from anything. They hear far too much IMO.

When I was a kid my parents would never discuss their finances, someone else marriage, problems etc in front of us. That all seems to be out the window now.

Anyone I know still shield the children from problems .All my family and friends would still very aware not to burden a child

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

This is a bastard of a disease what with its effects on the cardiac, vascular, uninary and respiratory systems.

It does not happen to all but it happens to enough people for the doctors to be bringing it to our attention. They have been calling this out since April.

My four year old was watching Paw Partol the other day and the pups had a cold. I asked it was it covid? and he said, "Daddy, Covid is a myth, nobody has it". Well matched to the restrictions thread I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

wadacrack wrote: »
    Start taking the virus seriously to those who believe in theories and its low death rate etc.

Myocarditis, inflammation of the heart muscle, has been found in at least five Big Ten Conference athletes and among several other athletes in other conferences, according to two sources with knowledge of athletes' medical care.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29633697/heart-condition-linked-covid-19-fuels-power-5-concern-season-viability

I'm 100% serious when I say the aul Jesus juice is likely also in play there ,

Myocarditis, encephalitis and multi-organ failure are complications of flu also, thankfully rare, and hopefully they are with Covid 19 too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The split rooms and more than 50 people question is important - I think it's getting a bit lost in the storm about resignations.

If we allow big events to go ahead and simply split them in the same location, it makes a mockery of the rules. Sure it meets the letter of the law, but inevitably there is going to be mixing of people.

"I know the limit is 15 people outdoors, but we had 15 at one barbecue, and 15 at the barbecue on the other side of the garden"
    "6 were in the kitchen handing out beers, 6 in the living room, 6 in the porch, 6 in the sitting room"
    "We had 50 in one room with my mother, and another 50 in the other room with my father, and we all met up for champagne beforehand"

We're in a situation where a lot of people are upset about perceived unfairness in the rules. This is a time for clarity and behaving within both the letter and the spirit of the regulations - and not searching for loopholes. There will inevitably be more events in the media with large numbers attending, and it's going to be very damaging when the reports emerge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

2020 summed up in one Californian photo

Ef2yYFKWAAADtiE?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

This whole 'lock down/no lock down/restrictions/no restrictions' is going to start wearing pretty thin over the next few months and C19 fatigue will just settle in.

It is with us and we will have to live with it just like any other disease/virus through the centuries until a vaccine is found etc. This shielding/living in fear of the Bogey Man will dissipate.

• Advertisement

plodder wrote: »
    Myocarditis, encephalitis and multi-organ failure are complications of flu also, thankfully rare, and hopefully they are with Covid 19 too.

Myocarditis is also more prevalent in younger male athletes than the broader population. Thought to be related to training through viral symptoms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

They are at about 20 cases per 100,000 and we are currently at 25 cases. They do seem to be a bit more calm about the whole thing now and less reactive compared to us.

Doing 400,000 tests per week that's why they picked up 1600 cases.

523713.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Nice get out of jail card, similar to.
    Garda have new powers. Oh wait , AG needs to advise.

I respect the honour of the man having the balls to resign. We should tolerate failure , not incompetence (Stephen Donnelly and his trampolines)

I'm 100% serious when I say the aul Jesus juice is likely also in play there ,
    On another matter. Will we be having the update from yourself some time after 12:30 today ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

This whole 'lock down/no lock down/restrictions/no restrictions' is going to start wearing pretty thin over the next few months and C19 fatigue will just settle in.

It is with us and we will have to live with it just like any other disease/virus through the centuries until a vaccine is found etc. This shielding/living in fear of the Bogey Man will dissipate.

I think C19 fatigue is already here

People are trying to just get on with it but even this week there are more restrictions even in areas with very low cases

The governments message is not getting across esp when it contains huge contradictions

I'd be surprised if compliance rates were as high should they try a second national lockdown

KrustyUCC wrote: »

People are trying to just get on with it but even this week there are more restrictions even in areas with very low cases

The governments message is not getting across esp when it contains huge contradictions

I'd be surprised if compliance rates were as high should they try a second national lockdown

I agree. I’m fairly close on pulling the trigger on a grand coalition golf party. I mean we can’t just follow public health advice forever. Golf is the economy.

I’m amazed at the cooperation across party lines when it comes to golf. If only that level of cooperation could be seen in relation to covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

It's concerning hearing reports of heart inflammation in healthy athletes (who can get an x-ray at the click of a finger) and one of our own GPs, who was asymptomatic and discovered heart inflammation months later also. How many others are walking about with this ailment, clueless they even had Covid.

I fear the unknown and so should you, we don't know enough about this virus and I'd definitely rather not get it, if I can help it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Sunrise.Sunset

There's a certain section of society who believes they are too great that the public health guidelines doesn't apply to them. I know a GP who's acting the absolute bollix. If covid gets into his household, a sizable portion of the town will be vulnerable to infection because he refuses to minimise close contacts. There was another end of school party for his teenager last night with at least 10 different households. This definitely isn't rumour. I have close connections.

Now, politicians are partying it up in Clifden.

GooglePlus wrote: »
    It's concerning hearing reports of heart inflammation in healthy athletes (who can get an x-ray at the click of a finger) and one of our own GPs, who was asymptomatic and discovered heart inflammation months later also. How many others are walking about with this ailment, clueless they even had Covid.

I fear the unknown and so should you, we don't know enough about this virus and I'd definitely rather not get it, if I can help it.

I wouldn't read too much into the heart inflammation among athletes...that is not uncommon as another poster has mentioned. You should see what a marathon does to the body (recovers fine) and yet thousands of people run it every year.

Personally I do not live my life fearing the unknowns. That is no way to live. In fact that is not living at all IMO. We do not know a lot about a lot of things- I am now in England I personally know several people who have had it including my wife's aunt. 'Very mild sickness' to 'nothing' to a 'bad flu like' is the feedback.

The vast vast majority of people recover fine from it and come out the other side unscathe- we seem to lose sight of that and focus on the...what is it...2-3%.

If you going for an operation with a 2-3% morality rate you would take the operation.

Where do you draw the line? Might as well lock myself into a bunker and hide under a blanket. No thanks I'll act sensibly with my mask etc but I am not living in fear.

I wouldn't read too much into the heart inflammation among athletes...that is not uncommon as another poster has mentioned. You should see what a marathon does to the body (recovers fine) and yet thousands of people run it every year.

Personally I do not live my life fearing the unknowns. That is no way to live. In fact that is not living at all IMO. We do not know a lot about a lot of things- I am now in England I personally know several people who have had it including my wife's aunt. 'Very mild sickness' to 'nothing' to a 'bad flu like' is the feedback.

The vast vast majority of people recover fine from it and come out the other side unscathe- we seem to lose sight of that and focus on the...what is it...2-3%.

If you going for an operation with a 2-3% morality rate you would take the operation.

Where do you draw the line? Might as well lock myself into a bunker and hide under a blanket.

That comparison doesn't really work though. A fit and healthy athlete may recover quickly but a large part of our population aren't as healthy as they think they are, we've become very accustomed to the western lifestyle and our heart disease figures say it all.

Your average Irish Joe may not fair out as well as a marathon runner.

For all we know, it is taking years off our lives. The effects don't have to be the immediate ones that you have mentioned.

I'm not saying hide in a bunker, just to remain vigilant and don't return to normal, because this is all far from normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

After all the lecturing the public got from the government, this may be the straw that breaks the camel’s back. I can’t see people obeying all the new restrictions when they’ve been so clearly broken by a person who was involved in putting them together.
    Upsets me big time, my aunt died abroad in April and we had to bring her home via boat because all flights stopped. There was 10 of us at the funeral which had to be streamed on Facebook so her closest friends could watch. My grandmother hasn’t really recovered from it since, she couldn’t give a toss about the restrictions anymore after that.
    We’re being led by a load of clowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I don't like people who wear a mask in their Twitter picture (narcissism of some type, or fetish or something I don't know what, but it's an annoying trend).

I don't like television "celebs" with any view on Covid, especially those who a) get it before everyone else, b) broadcast from their "shed", c) still feel the effects months later (cos while that's possible, I knew they definitely would).

That's my negativity for this morning :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Where do you draw the line? Might as well lock myself into a bunker and hide under a blanket. No thanks I'll act sensibly with my mask etc but I am not living in fear.

Well said. You'd swear there was a 50:50 chance of kicking the bucket with this. Vulnerable/elderly people have to make choices, that's true. But you have to live your life without having so much fear you don't live it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Sunrise.Sunset

I have a friend who's working as a nanny for that GP family and she doesn't feel comfortable working any more in their home because there's no social distancing happening in her job. What would you recommend? Would she be able to claim dole? She said she would be happy even with normal dole never mind the PUP. She wants to keep safe from covid19 as much as anything and her job is huge risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Jesus the fearmongering on this thread this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Martins position itself is untenable imo. He has completely lost the support of the public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

My four year old was watching Paw Partol the other day and the pups had a cold. I asked it was it covid? and he said, "Daddy, Covid is a myth, nobody has it". Well matched to the restrictions thread I'd say

Off topic, but your four year old using the word "myth" in the correct context is impressive.

Sounds like you have a genius. 🙂

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Jesus the fearmongering on this thread this morning.

I'm not fear mongering, I'm referring back to two posts shared this morning and giving my opinion. In what way did I fear monger, these are facts.

The term fear monger is thrown about so much lately that it's lost all meaning and has become a way for the likes of you to shut down anyone who isn't meeting your view.

You probably hadn't even heard of the term before you decided to join this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Yep. Soon to be replaced with an inexplicable fascination with a presidential election 4,000km away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Phil Hogan came straight from Belgium to the golf thing in Cliffden, didnt restrict his movements for 14 days.

Off topic, but your four year old using the word "myth" in the correct context is impressive.

Sounds like you have a genius. ��
    Still ot, but my niece was visiting with her 4 year old kid recently during the nice weather, and in a conversation back home was heard to say - "Daddy, it's sunny AF here".

I had to ask what "AF" means ....

Kids have a knack of picking up the nuances without necessarily understanding fully.

That comparison doesn't really work though. A fit and healthy athlete may recover quickly but a large part of our population aren't as healthy as they think they are, we've become very accustomed to the western lifestyle and our heart disease figures say it all.

Your average Irish Joe may not fair out as well as a marathon runner.

I think it is worth pointing out that in the UK for example, of the 40000 odd deaths approx 400 were under the age of 45 and the overwhelming majority of the 400 approx had underlying conditions.

Bottom line is if you are relatively fit and healthy- you will be fine and the all stats and figures back that up. Yes of course there will be exceptions.

My wife's aunt is 60. She is heavily overweight a smokes and downright obese and a picture of ill health- she felt a bit rubbish for a few days (just confined to her couch and daytime TV) and that was that.

I will be driving home later- I may get rear ended and get killed. I am still going to drive home and not going to dwell on the fear of a horrible car crash. My leg might brush off some leaves in the park later when I am out running and I might catch Lime Disease.

We will just have to get on it otherwise we are just going around in circles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

Well said. You'd swear there was a 50:50 chance of kicking the bucket with this. Vulnerable/elderly people have to make choices, that's true. But you have to live your life without having so much fear you don't live it at all.

And in doing so you make life a whole lot harder and scarier (and possibly significantly shorter) for those vulnerable and elderly people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

KrustyUCC wrote: »

They're not high now. I know plenty of people from Kildare who are coming and going as they please. All the lockdown is doing there is hurting local business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Any remaining compliance is gone after the clifden golf outing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm not fear mongering, I'm referring back to two posts shared this morning and giving my opinion. In what way did I fear monger, these are facts.

The term fear monger is thrown about so much lately that it's lost all meaning and has become a way for the likes of you to shut down anyone who isn't meeting your view.

You probably hadn't even heard of the term before you decided to join this forum.
    "Fearmongering" is being said, because every few days people seem to throw up this list of long-lasting effects from covid, like it's some extraordinary super-infection.

Heart inflammation and other generalised inflammation is a very common effect of many viral infections. So common that it would be unusual if Covid didn't cause it.

Most people aren't aware of this fact, so people think that covid is mega-extra-super-dangerous when in fact it appears to be a pretty typical coronavirus with an edge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Yes i have. Myocarditis is not uncommon. There’s not enough longterm evidence to suggest this is caused by the virus. It is quite common in athletes, a lot of football players have dropped dead on the pitch long before covid 19 was around. I’m not sure what’s worse, the hysteria or the virus itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

...Might as well lock myself into a bunker and hide under a blanket

Because in the case of an operation you know if you are in the 2-3% and can take extra precautions .

The problem with this disease is you don't know if you are in the 80% who barely noticed it , the approx 16% who get notable problems and the rest who died .

Don't believe you have to hide in a bunker

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement