Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

GooglePlus wrote: »
    That comparison doesn't really work though. A fit and healthy athlete may recover quickly but a large part of our population aren't as healthy as they think they are, we've become very accustomed to the western lifestyle and our heart disease figures say it all.

Your average Irish Joe may not fair out as well as a marathon runner.

For all we know, it is taking years off our lives. The effects don't have to be the immediate ones that you have mentioned.

I'm not saying hide in a bunker, just to remain vigilant and don't return to normal, because this is all far from normal.

Exactly. So why are you worried about inflammation of the heart in people who already have heart issues. If they weren't prepared to take care of their heart prior to Covid-19 why should Covid-19 now be a worry to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

quokula wrote: »
    And in doing so you make life a whole lot harder and scarier (and possibly significantly shorter) for those vulnerable and elderly people.

Look, granny has a had a good run of it. She spends enough time visting the graveyard anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

I will be driving home later- I may get rear ended and get killed. I am still going to drive home and not going to dwell on the fear of a horrible car crash. My leg might brush off some leaves in the park later when I am out running and I might catch Lime Disease.

We will just have to get on it otherwise we are just going around in circles.

The precautions are meant to save others if you are asymptomatic. So it is not like you will get rear ended and killed.

I have a friend who's working as a nanny for that GP family and she doesn't feel comfortable working any more in their home because there's no social distancing happening in her job. What would you recommend? Would she be able to claim dole? She said she would be happy even with normal dole never mind the PUP. She wants to keep safe from covid19 as much as anything and her job is huge risk.

I recommend that you stay under you bed and don't come out until it's morning and an adult comes in and pulls the curtains. Or failing that, get a degree in medicine and challenge the GP on his actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

US2 wrote: »
    Phil Hogan came straight from Belgium to the golf thing in Cliffden, didnt restrict his movements for 14 days.

Says he's been in Ireland since July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭plodder

Phil Hogan came straight from Belgium to the golf thing in Cliffden, didnt restrict his movements for 14 days.
    RTE is saying he's been here since late July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I will be driving home later- I may get rear ended and get killed. I am still going to drive home and not going to dwell on the fear of a horrible car crash.

Your driving home is regulated so that you do not kill other people and so it should be with Covid. Of course you probably believe that others should just stay off the road so that you can drive how you like, but this is not what happens in a civilised society.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

He has stated he self-isolated for two weeks.

Thankfully, it's getting to the point where it's becoming increasingly difficult to accuse people of killing granny... because now granny is out there partying with the rest of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

polesheep wrote: »
    Thankfully, it's getting to the point where it's becoming increasingly difficult to accuse people of killing granny... because now granny is out there partying with the rest of them.

Having fun :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

quokula wrote: »
    And in doing so you make life a whole lot harder and scarier (and possibly significantly shorter) for those vulnerable and elderly people.

Ahh yes, that old chestnut. Thrown around with abandon on here. Mainly by people that are afraid to leave the house themselves. An attempt to make you feel like you're a total cnut who doesn't care about anyone but themselves.

I'm talking about people living their lives and not stopping living because of irrational fear.

I know plenty of vulnerable and elderly people that are living their lives as normally as possible without letting fear take over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Source? He says he has been in Ireland since late July, so if you have information suggesting otherwise (your post seems very definitive) you should share.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Norma Foley - the invisible education minister - saying that Callery "showed leadership by resigning" - FF are such a shower of gombeens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

People come back and say isn't it great that they can be out and about. But the virus doesn't care. I don't get this line of thought that's like 'OMG how dare we ask old people to suffer'... the reality is they have to act responsibly for themselves and calculate their own risk(which a lot of them are doing) I don't see how people start moralizing when the government advise those most vulnerable to cocoon. Just seems logical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Look, granny has a had a good run of it. She spends enough time visting the graveyard anyway.

Look, twats are clueless and selfish. They spend enough time talking sh1te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Your driving home is regulated so that you do not kill other people and so it should be with Covid. Of course you probably believe that others should just stay off the road so that you can drive how you like, but this is not what happens in a civilised society.

Sure it is regulated but what type of point is that? Tell that to people with life changing injuries.

You are completely missing my point but seems to be quite normal among all the doom merchants on here.

We are faced with risk every day and 'unknowns' as another poster mentioned. I am not going to live my life in fear otherwise I would never get into a car if I sat around thinking about the death rates and horrific injuries suffered. Likewise I am not going to dwell and fret on the possibility that I might get C19 or pass it on unknowingly.

Off topic, but your four year old using the word "myth" in the correct context is impressive.

Sounds like you have a genius. ��

Its his new word of the moment, everything is a myth, not least bedtime

Big Phil is above things such as viruses.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Sunrise.Sunset

I recommend that you stay under you bed and don't come out until it's morning and an adult comes in and pulls the curtains. Or failing that, get a degree in medicine and challenge the GP on his actions.

She's working in a home environment and it's her place of work. Is she wrong to expect a safe work environment where the guidelines on social distancing can be followed to minimise her risk of virus to keep herself and her family safe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

plodder wrote: »
    On another matter. Will we be having the update from yourself some time after 12:30 today ?

I shall contact my contact and see has he made contact with his contact :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

He has stated he self-isolated for two weeks.

Yep, which is why attention is now on the fact he has a residence in the K Club in KILDARE, so did he travel from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

Says he's been here 2 weeks but I can't see him been at home for 2 weeks. He's too pig headed for that.

Sure it is regulated but what type of point is that? Tell that to people with life changing injuries.

You are completely missing my point but seems to be quite normal among all the doom merchants on here.

We are faced with risk every day and 'unknowns' as another poster mentioned. I am not going to live my life in fear otherwise I would never get into a car if I sat around thinking about the death rates and horrific injuries suffered. Likewise I am not going to dwell and fret on the possibility that I might get C19

Here's the thing, some people don't drive or stop driving out of that very fear. And they are the very type of people who somehow managed to have a major influence on the way in which the government has dealt with the virus. If they had the same influence on car driving we would have empty roads.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Yes i have. Myocarditis is not uncommon. There’s not enough longterm evidence to suggest this is caused by the virus. It is quite common in athletes, a lot of football players have dropped dead on the pitch long before covid 19 was around. I’m not sure what’s worse, the hysteria or the virus itself.

There is sufficient evidence to suggest Myocarditis is caused by the virus. It would be more remarkable if it wasn't given the plain old common cold variety of coronavirus can also cause myocarditis. What warrants further study is if acute Myocarditis occurs a a level post infection that is concerning. The good news is that it usually resolves itself, especially in mild cases which go undetected in most people. We dont appear to be seeing an increase in premature deaths due to the complication however, but further study is needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Arghus wrote: »
    Norma Foley - the invisible education minister - saying that Callery "showed leadership by resigning" - FF are such a shower of gombeens.

Wow. He showed admirable leadership by resigning in disgrace.

She's working in a home environment and it's her place of work. Is she wrong to expect a safe work environment where the guidelines on social distancing can be followed to minimise her risk of virus to keep herself and her family safe?

Yes, she is wrong. There are no guidelines for social distancing among families. If she's not happy she should go somewhere else. Stop being a busybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

What warrants further study is if acute Myocarditis occurs a a level post infection that is concerning.

This is the key question, and presumably we won't have a definitive answer to it for a number of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

There is sufficient evidence to suggest Myocarditis is caused by the virus. It would be more remarkable if it wasn't given the plain old common cold variety of coronavirus can also cause myocarditis. What warrants further study is if acute Myocarditis occurs a a level post infection that is concerning. The good news is that it usually resolves itself, especially in mild cases which go undetected in most people. We dont appear to be seeing an increase in premature deaths due to the complication however, but further study is needed

Myocarditis has been around for a longtime and can be caused by a multitude of viruses that can attack the heart. It’s quite common. Just because you got Covid doesn’t mean that you are more of a chance getting it than any other virus you can pick up. “Lads whatever you do don’t get Covid 19 because you’ll get myocarditis” fear mongering doesn’t wash with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

After all the lecturing the public got from the government, this may be the straw that breaks the camel’s back. I can’t see people obeying all the new restrictions when they’ve been so clearly broken by a person who was involved in putting them together.
    Upsets me big time, my aunt died abroad in April and we had to bring her home via boat because all flights stopped. There was 10 of us at the funeral which had to be streamed on Facebook so her closest friends could watch. My grandmother hasn’t really recovered from it since, she couldn’t give a toss about the restrictions anymore after that.
    We’re being led by a load of clowns.

So sorry to hear that, can’t imagine how angry you must feel regarding this.

You hit the nail on the head with “lecturing”. The public made a ridiculous amount of sacrifices, some more than others, and we made a difference. A ****ing massive difference. DP, meat plants, and nursing homes get hit again and they lecture the public, referencing the Berlin bar video multiple times during the press conference. Then go to a golf society party. Of course it had to be a golf party.

I’ve defended the restrictions for the most part, I’ve defended the government on their reaction, at least up until the new coalition, as nobody really knows the best course in any of this, but this has lost my support completely. Definite straw breaking the camels back moment. And then you read Phil Hogans tweet passing off blame onto the hotels federation?

Piss off.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭PixieValentine

Wow, Leo has kicked Buttimer, Cummins and Burke out of the party.
    Word is behind the scenes he's FURIOUS.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Can somebody tell me why people were advised to avoid public transport this week?

Yet, there's mandatory masks/face coverings on public transport, which is meant to help if you can't social distance.

But yet they refuse to do anything to sort out the real problem of the meat factories. They had little PPE. There'll be more like the meat factories and sure enough a mushroom plant comes up during the week.

And they'll be more again because I know of a few large workplaces and none of their staff wear face masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Can somebody tell me why people were advised to avoid public transport this week?

Yet, there's mandatory masks/face coverings on public transport, which is meant to help if you can't social distance.

But yet they refuse to do anything to sort out the real problem of the meat factories. They had little PPE. There'll be more like the meat factories and sure enough a mushroom plant comes up during the week.

And they'll be more again because I know of a few large workplaces and none of their staff wear face masks.

My pet theory is that with schools reopening next week, they know that public transport will be crowded and they're hoping to avoid another ****storm there. Or at the very least be able to point to their previous advice and tell us they told us so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

We dont appear to be seeing an increase in premature deaths due to the complication however, but further study is needed

When I last saw my doctor we discussed me possibly having subacute thyroiditis. I need to finish a course of medication I'm on before I can have my hormone levels tested. But it's a common post-viral condition for women aged 20-50 after a respiratory infection. (It occurs in men too but is more common for women.) Interestingly it can cause rapid heart rate. I had initially assumed my myocarditis was as a result of chestwall inflammation but I'm now wondering if the rapid heart rate, I still occasionally get is due to a (hopefully) temporary thyroid issue. Either way, it should resolve completely in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm no fan of Leo but I do suspect that as someone with medical training, from an entire family of past and present medical professionals and who's partner is a medical professional, he does have a more genuine level of concern and insight about the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

AFAIK it's just removing the whip, or has he actually expelled them from FG? If the latter surely Big Phil would have to go too.

iguana wrote: »
    When I last saw my doctor we discussed me possibly having subacute thyroiditis. I need to finish a course of medication I'm on before I can have my hormone levels tested. But it's a common post-viral condition for women aged 20-50 after a respiratory infection. (It occurs in men too but is more common for women.) Interestingly it can cause rapid heart rate. I had initially assumed my myocarditis was as a result of chestwall inflammation but I'm now wondering if the rapid heart rate, I still occasionally get is due to a (hopefully) temporary thyroid issue. Either way, it should resolve completely in the near future.

Usually when I get a virus I notice my resting heart beat rises by about 10 bpm from around 54 to 64, and then over about 4 to 6 weeks returns to my typical level.

Interestingly in June this also happened with no symptoms, and is only now starting to return to its normal levels in the past week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Fair play to him if that is correct.

Michael Martin belongs to the politics of old.

Hopefully Leo and Simon setting the tone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

withdrawing the whip and party expulsion are not the same thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

This should have been explained when the restrictions were announced.
    Thread on why schools can reopen.
    https://twitter.com/president_mu/status/1296760361228673027?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

A judge is suppose to make judgment on people's judgement has said it's regrettable that he didn't know it would breach public health guidelines.

I wonder how that would go down in his court. "I didn't know your HONOUR that I was about to break the law"

Let me off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Now that's what I call strong leadership by Leo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Fair play to him if that is correct.

Michael Martin belongs to the politics of old.

Hopefully Leo and Simon setting the tone now.

It is not correct. The party whip has been removed. It's a ceremonial sanction with little real impact. They have not been kicked out of the party.

I would have thought party expulsion would require a decision at executive level rather than leadership

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭PixieValentine

Oh, if I’ve got the meaning of that wrong then I’m sorry! I thought it was effectively kicking them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

He hasn't kicked them out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

This should have been explained when the restrictions were announced.
    Thread on why schools can reopen.
    https://twitter.com/president_mu/status/1296760361228673027?s=21

Again another incoherent and to the ordinary man and barely legible statement from someone in NPHET.

**** me, education and intelligence really are different.

And **** off Philip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

The judge said "he should have had the cop on"
    Well no judge.
    What happens when someone in your courtroom should have had the cop on? It's fvcking irrelevant.
    What are the consequences?

I thought the judiciary are supposed to be independent?
    Wonder how that works on the 19th hole.

Fvcking cronyism alive and well.
    Ireland's failings are being exposed big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

SPDUB wrote: »
    The problem with this disease is you don't know if you are in the 80% who barely noticed it , the approx 16% who get notable problems and the rest who died .
    That's not really true though is it?

We know in Ireland that around 12% of cases end up in hospital.

Which on the face of it says that if you get it, you have a 1 in 8 chance of going to hospital. That sounds pretty bad.

But that's taking everyone. When we look at the age demographics it becomes clearer where the risk factors lie.

If you're 65 or over, your chances of being hospitalised jump to 28%.

Under 65, it's 7.4%

But even that again is not telling a whole story. Here's how it works out for hospitalisation chances by age:

65+: 28%
    55-64: 14%
    45-54: 9.4%
    35-44: 5.7%
    25-34: 4.2%
    15-24: 3.4%

The data gets skewed for lower ages because by implication they're only likely to be tested if they show symptoms and more likely to get admitted to hospital as a matter of precaution whether they need it or not. All of the percentages above are overstated, because they're based on known cases.

ICU data by age is not provided easily, but over the odds of going to ICU after being hospitalised are about 13%. So applied to the table above, your ICU chances by age are:

65+: 3.6%
    55-64: 1.8%
    45-54: 1.2%
    35-44: 0.74%
    25-34: 0.55%
    15-24: 0.44%

Deaths stats would require a but more work, but you see where I'm going with this. All of the above precentages are heavily skewed towards other risk factors too like obesity or existing health conditions.

So it's not correct to consider catching the virus to be a roll of the dice for anyone. Certainly no more a roll of the dice than any other illness. If you are young and healthy, it is incredibly unlikely that you will see the inside of a hospital, never mind an ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Says he's been here 2 weeks but I can't see him been at home for 2 weeks. He's too pig headed for that.

Phil came back to Ireland in late July. Staying at the K Club (Kildare), has been seen in Leinster House while meant to be isolating, travelled from the K Club (Kildare) to Clifden....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Call my cynical but this absolute **** show of late gives Leo the perfect chance to look strong ,
    He is loving this

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement