Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Wow, Leo has kicked Buttimer, Cummins and Burke out of the party.
    Word is behind the scenes he's FURIOUS.

He hasn't kicked them out.

Again another incoherent and to the ordinary man and barely legible statement from someone in NPHET.

**** me, education and intelligence really are different.

And **** off Philip.

Its pretty damn clear to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

This should have been explained when the restrictions were announced.
    Thread on why schools can reopen.
    https://twitter.com/president_mu/status/1296760361228673027?s=21

I've a simpler way to explain it. x % of irish people will get cancer. In order to keep that number stable all adults must stop smoking, drinking, eat a vegan diet and use sunscreen. All children must do the opposite. Numbers remain steady

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭fits

Phil came back to Ireland in late July. Staying at the K Club (Kildare), has been seen in Leinster House while meant to be isolating, travelled from the K Club (Kildare) to Clifden....

How do you know he's at the K Club?

I've a simpler way to explain it. x % of irish people will get cancer. In order to keep that number stable all adults must stop smoking, drinking, eat a vegan diet and use sunscreen. All children must do the opposite. Numbers remain steady

Terrible false equivalence there.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭PixieValentine

Arghus wrote: »
    He hasn't kicked them out.

I know that now, thanks :) But before, I thought “removing the whip” effectively meant kicking them out.

The things ya learn thanks to ill-advised golf dinners! :D

I know that now, thanks :) But before, I thought “removing the whip” effectively meant kicking them out.

The things ya learn thanks to ill-advised golf dinners! :D

Afaik removing the whip means they are not considered member of the parliamentary party - making them more like Independent Senators.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

This should have been explained when the restrictions were announced.
    Thread on why schools can reopen.
    https://twitter.com/president_mu/status/1296760361228673027?s=21

Seems reasonable, until you realise that currently Re >1 and they haven't really introduced any new meaningful restrictions to reduce adults contacts to offset the kids going to school.

Your gran. is hardly going to stay home now, so some kids can go to school now is she?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

fits wrote: »
    Terrible false equivalence there.

ok, two people of equal mass on either side of a balanced see-saw. in order to remain balanced one can ask one person to lose mass while the other gains it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

A judge is suppose to make judgment on people's judgement has said it's regrettable that he didn't know it would breach public health guidelines.

I wonder how that would go down in his court. "I didn't know your HONOUR that I was about to break the law"

Let me off

He didn't even spell public health correctly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

fits wrote: »
    Afaik removing the whip means they are not considered member of the parliamentary party - making them more like Independent Senators.

Whip be quietly reinstated again in a few months provided they behave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Its pretty damn clear to me.

It's an excellent piece, and totally clear. We have choices to make as a society. We can decide to keep the schools closed and go back to normal with everything else. Or we can decide to open the schools and have some restrictions on other aspects of our lives.

These choices are equal from an overall perspective. It's a question of whether we think it's more important to open schools and educate our children or to have more freedom in the rest of our lives.

Spectacular lack of comprehension that doesn't even warrant a response, but here goes anyway.

Hypothetical numbers -
    Scenario 1. 2,000 people have the virus. Each of those had 8 contacts on average and passes in on to 2 people on average. 4,000 new infections start and so on with exponential growth.
    Scenario 2. 2,000 people have the virus. 1600 of those have 3 contacts on average through restricted movements, and pass it on to 0.5 people on average with better hygiene measures or 800 people.
    The remaining 400 people have 30 close contacts on average, but though more limited distancing and hygiene measures pass it on to 3 people on average resulting in 1200 new cases, giving an overall total of 2000 new cases and a stable rate

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Piehead

The country is out of control. Need a full National enforced lockdown for 1 month. Seal border. Arrest and jail all for non compliance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Looks like no early number today can't get hold of my mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Now is no time for quitting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Whip be quietly reinstated again in a few months provided they behave.

Highly likely. Plus it's only the Seanad anyway. Someone on twitter compared this 'punishment' to "You can have your phone back when you've finished your homework."

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

Piehead wrote: »
    The country is out of control. Need a full National enforced lockdown for 1 month. Seal border. Arrest and jail all for non compliance

It would be cheaper for country to lock you up in the single cell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

She's working in a home environment and it's her place of work. Is she wrong to expect a safe work environment where the guidelines on social distancing can be followed to minimise her risk of virus to keep herself and her family safe?

she seems to have survived the last 6 months ok.

Why get concerned about this man's behaviour now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Ahh yes, that old chestnut. Thrown around with abandon on here. Mainly by people that are afraid to leave the house themselves. An attempt to make you feel like you're a total cnut who doesn't care about anyone but themselves.

I'm talking about people living their lives and not stopping living because of irrational fear.

I know plenty of vulnerable and elderly people that are living their lives as normally as possible without letting fear take over.

and there's that old chestnut.

Your reveal yesterday has exposed him and he is now being waterboarded at the DOH HQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I don’t know much about this Hogan fella i’ll be honest but he seems like a nasty piece of stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Maybe the leak has been dealt with :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Piehead wrote: »

Ehh , what do you think will happen when we REOPEN the border after the month is up ? Do you think it’s

A , the virus will magically disappear and we will never have to worry about it again ?

B , the virus will reappear once foreign visitors arrive back on our soil and the entire proposed draconian lockdown will have been meaningless ?

Forget the impossibility of implementation of this crackpot idea politically ,socially and economically for now but seriously what do you think would be the end result of this mad idea ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I don’t know much about this Hogan fella i’ll be honest but he seems like a nasty piece of stuff

He is to paraphrase someone else the most devious of the lot. Enda Kenny and his supporters have a lot to thank him for.

Spectacular lack of comprehension that doesn't even warrant a response, but here goes anyway.

You must have gotten confused, by the word cancer, Wuhan has it down in 2 lines. No need to be a d1ck about it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Still no water here since the storm, can't wash my hands. Will I get covid ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Your reveal yesterday has exposed him and he is now being waterboarded at the DOH HQ

No doubt they are using Perrier.

I enquired yesterday about a private Covid-19 test for travel as there is a possibility I might require one soon. It costs €160 and yet we're told that the HSE test costs €200.

You must have gotten confused, by the word cancer, Wuhan has it down in 2 lines. No need to be a d1ck about it either.

See there are those who understand that public health measures are designed to reduce the overall frequency of transmissions, with understanding that we are willing to accept an increased risk in some areas to allow a viable way of life to continue thorough this, while and those who believe the goal is to eliminate all transmissions, which is both impossible, and incompatible with a sustainable way of living.

• Advertisement

Dara could be out of the loop now for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

This is so messed up.

The country is turning on itself for people attending a fecking dinner.

Get me out of here.

Big Phil isn't going to worry himself too much about what we have to say in little Paddy land.

His apologies are aimed over at our head at Brussels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Based on the number of swabs taken, today's number will be broadly in line with yesterday's; somewhere between 120 and 180. Tomorrow wil be back to 30-50 ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Sunrise.Sunset

she seems to have survived the last 6 months ok.

Why get concerned about this man's behaviour now?

Social distancing was maintained during the lockdown. It was just her going into the family. Since lockdown was lifted its party here and party there and dinner parties galore and the woman is now working in a position where there is no social distancing. The public health officials has identified house parties as a problem. The woman has followed the guidelines to a T and she feels she's at risk now working for the family who's refusing to maintain social distancing.

I'm trying to see what's there for her to help her. She wants to minimise risks of the virus but her job doesn't allow that anymore. She wants to protect her health and her family. What is there for her?

See there are those who understand that public health measures are designed to reduce the overall frequency of transmissions, with understanding that we are willing to accept an increased risk in some areas to allow a viable way of life to continue thorough this, while and those who believe the goal is to eliminate all transmissions, which is both impossible, and incompatible with a sustainable way of living.

This isn't addressing my point, but however.

Currently Re > 1.

We need kids in school, this will increase contacts, so most likely increase Re. But, a necessary risk to keep the country going.

What are we doing to offset this?

This is so messed up.

Get me out of here.

Good news the ports/airports are still open, but hurry.

polesheep wrote: »
    Here's the thing, some people don't drive or stop driving out of that very fear. And they are the very type of people who somehow managed to have a major influence on the way in which the government has dealt with the virus. If they had the same influence on car driving we would have empty roads.

Comparing covid to driving a car is nonsense.

Never been anxious about driving in Ireland or abroad and would never cross my mind that I could get killed or seriously injured in carvwhen getting into a car.

Covid is different. Its killed people from the very young to over 100 and everyone in between from the sick to the healthy. It's the unknowns, the imperfect information, the fact that when you are sick you are a danger to everyone else, the changing information every few weeks. Nothing simple and straightforward about covid. Hence the state of europe at the moment.

This is so messed up.

Get me out of here.

No, it's people who told the rest of us not to attend such a dinner attending a dinner. There is a massive difference. FWIW I think we all should be able to attend such dinners, but we aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Good news the ports/airports are still open, but hurry.

In Germany myself, out for a lovely lunch time walk in 32 degrees Bavarian countryside sun. I'd highly recommend it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Social distancing was maintained during the lockdown. It was just her going into the family. Since lockdown was lifted its party here and party there and dinner parties galore and the woman is now working in a position where there is no social distancing. The public health officials has identified house parties as a problem. The woman has followed the guidelines to a T and she feels she's at risk now working for the family who's refusing to maintain social distancing.

I'm trying to see what's there for her to help her. She wants to minimise risks of the virus but her job doesn't allow that anymore. She wants to protect her health and her family. What is there for her?

Perhaps she'd be better trying to sort this herself, you've gone above and beyond now at this stage setting up a boards account to complain about the GP and about her working arrangements. Take a break and let her take some responsibility!

Comparing covid to driving a car is nonsense.

Never been anxious about driving in Ireland or abroad and would never cross my mind that I could get killed or seriously injured in carvwhen getting into a car.

Covid is different. Its killed people from the very young to over 100 and everyone in between from the sick to the healthy. It's the unknowns, the imperfect information, the fact that when you are sick you are a danger to everyone else, the changing information every few weeks. Nothing simple and straightforward about covid. Hence the state of europe at the moment.

The point is that fearful people have driven the agenda (no pun intended). The bit in bold is hyperbolic nonsense. The percentage of healthy young people that have died from Covid-19 is infinitesimal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

US2 wrote: »
    Still no water here since the storm, can't wash my hands. Will I get covid ?

Not if you have a pizza in the pub tonight. But make sure it's not a frozen one (some on here maintain that makes it worse) and obviously make sure it's a big pizza costing at least €9. A slice won't cut covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.rferl.org/amp/covid-19-regional-wrap-august-5-2020/30768048.html

Interestingly Afghanistan may be one of the first countries in the world to reach herd immunity, with infection levels at over 50% in cities such as Kabul and 30% nationally.

46% of Afghanistans population is under 15 years of age so this news could bode very well for sub Saharan Africa with a similar age profile. The number of deaths are very low which is great news although an investigation into the national mortality is under way as it appears to be a significant undercount based on the number of burials in the country during the pandemic .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

In my 13 years living in England over the last few months for the first time ever I am actually gald to be over here looking at how obedient some people in Ireland are acting.

Either that or ****ting their pants about the 'unknowns'. Perspective and common sense seems to have completely vanished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,456 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

This isn't addressing my point, but however.

Currently Re > 1.

We need kids in school, this will increase contacts, so most likely increase Re. But, a necessary risk to keep the country going.

What are we doing to offset this?

That's why avoiding contacts for the rest of the population is vital to the plans. If 80% of the population can keep the risk of transmission to a minimum and schools take as many precautions as practicable then we could keep the R0 at a manageable level. It's a big ask but seems to be the only option at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Apologies, I was wrong about Hogan not isolating on return from Belgium . He isolated and is staying in Kildare! Locked down Kildare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Christy42

This is so messed up.

Get me out of here.

You can agree or disagree with rules but if people want to be respected when making the rules they should follow them themselves.

• Advertisement

US2 wrote: »
    Apologies, I was wrong about Hogan not isolating on return from Belgium . He isolated and is staying in Kildare! Locked down Kildare

As I said earlier, hardly anyone in Kildare is paying a blind bit of attention the lockdown. All it's doing is hurting local business.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement