Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Is the PR woman here trying to stop questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

plodder wrote: »
    Disappointing response rate, but they could hardly force people to take part.

The one thing these studies can't measure though...

T-cells, bro.

Fancy a bitcoin investment tailored specifically for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

Pathetic. Who is that wan anyways? How f**king dare she

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Shocking, seems to want to call it early also.

Disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

Seriously, who was that faceless nameless woman who shut off the questions? Glynn and Donnelly are well trained to shut up when she butted in, whoever she is.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Donnelly should just shut up here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

online link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    It certainly would put me off taking part anyway
    jus read original link to scopi you could choose to be informed of your results for covid antibody... just incase they do another one.... It is also a shame that GP's still cant request them aswell.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/scopi-covid-19-research-project/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Asking questions at a press conference? The cheek of them.
    The government go from looking bad to worse every single day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Losing the press on their side is not a good move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Donnelly should just shut up here.

I nearly feel sorry for him. They knew there would be difficult questions today. Where's the Taoiseach?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

buried wrote: »
    Seriously, who was that faceless nameless woman who shut off the questions? Glynn and Donnelly are well trained to shut up when she butted in, whoever she is.

Don’t know who but you can be sure we are paying for her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

"And we won't get it all right the next time either"

Super confidence there Stephen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

buried wrote: »
    She'd likely be a functionary with an eye on the clock. It happens at the DoH briefings too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭plodder

T-cells, bro.

Fancy a bitcoin investment tailored specifically for you?
    What's your point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

is_that_so wrote: »
    She'd likely be a functionary with an eye on the clock. It happens at the DoH briefings too.

She had her eye on far more than the clock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Arghus wrote: »
    "And we won't get it all right the next time either"

Super confidence there Stephen.

The more he talks the more he digs a hole for himself.

I don't think he actually believes or understands anything he says. His brain just thinks 'what do they want to hear ?' and his mouth spouts out nonsense marketing talk as result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Actually think Donnelly is doing ok here. Been thrown into a difficult spot. MM hiding to limit damage and Leo clearly tactically only showing face when things are positive.

I nearly feel sorry for him. They knew there would be difficult questions today. Where's the Taoiseach?
    He's Minister for Agriculture today! It's Donnelly's brief anyway. Harris used to do a fair number of solo sessions too.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Actually think Donnelly is doing ok here. Been thrown into a difficult spot. MM hiding to limit damage and Leo clearly tactically only showing face when things are positive.
    Is this a joke?

• Advertisement

I see it more as the response rate indicating the level of national cohesion.

Which, despite our constant refrains that 'we're in this together', is not the case.

Many, including the usual 'vested interest' suspects, care only about their optics.

The best thing in the study was the random selection. Once less than 40% responded it ceased to be random. Those who choose to take part are no longer a representative sample and therefore conclusions can’t be drawn on the prevalence for anything but those who responded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Am I imagining things or is Donnelly implying that the guidelines were clear but the population were too thick to understand them?!

Christ, he is a very poor speaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

plodder wrote:
    Disappointing response rate, but they could hardly force people to take part.
    The frustrating theme of Irish people's response to this whole thing has been non compliance.

I think it was even reported somewhere that there was a good response to the study but it appears people didn't follow through.

If they knew people that agreed to do it wouldnt show up, they could have invited more people.

I know someone who was selected for the study. The initial uptake was quite positive. Loads replied to the letter and answered the questionnaire about travel, symtoms etc.

Where it fell down was people just didnt turn up tp the hotel or wherever to have the actual blood sample taken.

The participants were told their results.
    They got a letter a couple of weeks ago.

TBH I said (on Twitter, under my alter-ego) that this may be an issue when Tony Holohan was asking people to respond (before he stepped aside).

Doesn't stop it being a badly designed study, where antisocial behaviour (non-participation) was expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

The WHO saying they hope pandemic will be over in 2 years!! F**k that for a game of soldiers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The more he talks the more he digs a hole for himself.

I don't think he actually believes or understands anything he says. His brain just thinks 'what do they want to hear' and his mouth spouts out nonsense marketing talk as result.

He manages to always say about 80% of the right thing, but just cocks up that final 20% when he tries too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Donnelly sounds like he's trying to get a job narrating some documentary

More nonsensical ramblings when asked was there confusion around the measures announced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Stephen Donnelly got a good grilling on that press conference. Admitting their advice to the public was poor and should have given better clarification on these new restrictions.

That puts to bed anyone that thinks the GAA was a disgrace or embarrassment when they asked what is going on and rightfully asked for more details on these restrictions

saying the question had already been asked regarding an aspect of the golf outing, journalist fires back no it hasn't he's going to answer and out comes Donnelly with more crap

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Santy2015 wrote: »
    The WHO saying they hope pandemic will be over in 2 years!! F**k that for a game of soldiers

Christ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

is_that_so wrote: »
    He's Minister for Agriculture today! It's Donnelly's brief anyway. Harris used to do a fair number of solo sessions too.

I'd have issue at all with him doing a solo session if it wasn't for the events earlier in the week but come on, the taoiseach/party leader/ whatever you want to call him hiding away today is a pretty bad look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

where does one get to watch this live? tried rte news now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭plodder

The frustrating theme of Irish people's response to this whole thing has been non compliance.

I think it was even reported somewhere that there was a good response to the study but it appears people didn't follow through.

If they knew people that agreed to do it wouldnt show up, they could have invited more people.
    Maybe they should go back and ask the people that didn't show up why they didn't. Could be you need to make it absolutely as easy as possible, eg call to people's homes rather than the other way round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Is this a joke?

Nah just my opinion. He did fine in a very difficult circumstance that he shouldn't have been thrown straight into basically abandoned by our leaders. Don't know what you wanted him to say tbh. The damage is done and at least he took ownership of it.

He was talking about how Spanish flu took 2 years but now we've technology etc so they hope within 2 years.

We all know things change with a vaccine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I was thinking 5 years, 2 isn't too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

But the world could be long past the worst of it before it finally ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's over Today, working all day masks gone out the window with a lot of the general public there sick to the teeth of it. Crazy rules pulled out of the air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

2 years should be enough time for a hugely profitable vaccine to be delivered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Listening to Donnelly. Is he advocating another lockdown?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Is this a joke?

The bit i saw, i actually thought he was ok too and im no big fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Listening to Donnelly. Is he advocating another lockdown?

I'm not listening but Donnelly certainly has been talking up/threatening another lockdown all this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,730 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Thats another car crash of a press conference - need to get these guys out, useless shower

• Advertisement

plodder wrote: »
    What's your point?

My point is that T-cell immunity will not save us.

Despite the fact that it is the latest right-wing 'cure/thing'.

Any T-cell action does not reduce the chance infection.,

Or of infecting others.

From the guy did the actual science;...

https://twitter.com/profshanecrotty/status/1295362669621346305

It's called managing expectations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    I'm not listening but Donnelly certainly has been talking up/threatening another lockdown all this week

Does he really want to be remembered as the minister who brought in the lockdown that was ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭PixieValentine

Stephen Donnelly got a good grilling on that press conference. Admitting their advice to the public was poor and should have given better clarification on these new restrictions.

That puts to bed anyone that thinks the GAA was a disgrace or embarrassment when they asked what is going on and rightfully asked for more details on these restrictions

I don’t think the problem was them wanting clarification. The press conference was a really bad job by MM explaining things, THAT much at least was clear to everyone (though little else was :D) But the way they went about it, singling out Ronan Glynn and acting as if he had to explain himself to them, that was wrong. The statement came across in a very arrogant fashion.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement