Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭Be right back

Santy2015 wrote: »
    There’s your 80!!

And a doctor there too. Dr Michael Harty.

And a doctor there too. Dr Michael Harty.

And Jerry Cowley

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I find in history the people who won't sacrifice principle are normally the ones who get most people dead.

For me dead people are worse than dead principles.

Then you’re advocating deciding what’s right or wrong based on the consequences of a decision rather than judging the act itself. If that’s our decision making process, it’s hard to chastise people in power when they make decisions based on their own personal self interest or their organisation’s interest over the greater good and you end up riddled with corruption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

Leo Varadkar is the deputy leader of the country, his part has a 40% representation at cabinet. Just because they've managed to dodge the microphones the past few weeks does not mean Fine Gael should not be held to account. They are very much part of this government as well, just as they were very much part of the golf function in Clifden.

I didn't vote for any party by the way in the election, and I'm only mentioning that in case someome tries to accuse me of allegiance to one of the others. I just hate this double standard.

I'm sorry but if you didn't bother voting in the election you can't really complain about the behaviour of these clowns. Use your vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I'm sorry but if you didn't bother voting in the election you can't really complain about the behaviour of these clowns. Use your vote.

The poster said they didn't vote any 'party' that's not the same as saying they didn't vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭leck

And Jerry Cowley
    From an article in the Irish Times:
    While the community doctor [Cowley] thinks the majority of Irish people have been “wonderful” in how they have responded to the virus, he said there are always a few who don’t like to be told what to do “and can be aggressive if you do tell them”.

Well now.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/prominent-gp-cowley-dreading-possible-second-wave-of-coronavirus-1.4319980

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

The poster said they didn't vote any 'party' that's not the same as saying they didn't vote.

Yeah my bad. Just reading it back there. Apologies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

I find in history the people who won't sacrifice principle are normally the ones who get most people dead.

For me dead people are worse than dead principles.

As Juno said

Ah, you lost your best principle, me boy, when you lost your arm; them's the only sort o' principles that's any good to a workin' man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

And Jerry Cowley
    leck wrote: »

Are you sure it wasn't a different guy called Gerry Crowley?

523811.PNG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭gipi

I see Paudge Connolly's name on that snapshot of the guest list.

Mr Connolly was in Spain less than 2 weeks before attending the dinner... so he obviously decided not to self isolate for 14 days

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/former-td-attended-controversial-golf-dinner-days-after-trip-to-spain-1.4335903?mode=amp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

The real absurdity is the fact that the meal was forbidden in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

I would admire any of the 80 who would say "Yes, I went because it's not such a big deal."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Justice for Berlin D2!

Justice for Berlin D2!
    Wonder has Noel Rock made any comment about Station House 81? He was prolific with his outrage on Twitter about Berlin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,830 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Wonder has Noel Rock made any comment about Station House 81? He was prolific with his outrage on Twitter about Berlin.

Only thing on his Twitter about it. Dunno about any interviews or public comment on it though. https://twitter.com/NoelRock/status/1296542069352275969

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

Any good politician will know to join in, when they weren't the ones who screwed up.

https://twitter.com/NoelRock/status/1296795091781255168

Eod100 wrote: »
    Only thing on his Twitter about it. Dunno about any interviews or public comment on it though. https://twitter.com/NoelRock/status/1296542069352275969

He seems reserved, maybe his outrage level is dictated by the participants.

• Advertisement

Polar101 wrote: »
    Any good politician will know to join in, when they weren't the ones who screwed up.

https://twitter.com/NoelRock/status/1296795091781255168

That too. Had missed that but yeah fairly vague

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Eod100 wrote: »
    That too. Had missed that but yeah fairly vague

Who is this is Rock lad?

Interesting retweet from Dr. De Gascun

https://twitter.com/conor_pope/status/1296888872534761474

Who is this is Rock lad?

Former FG TD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

WHO suggesting this will be over in 2 years.
    Is that realistic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Gael23 wrote: »
    Is that realistic
    As long as rich countries don't restrict third world countries from being vaccinated then yes it is entirely realistic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭PixieValentine

DeanAustin wrote: »
    By taking this attitude, we’re sacrificing principle - what’s right and wrong, for our own self interest. That’s the sort of thing that regularly gets lambasted on here.

What he did was either a sackable offence or it wasn’t. How good a job he’s doing or whether it’s cutting off our nose is really beside the point.

He genuinely can’t be fired by Leo or MM though. It’s not up to anyone here, it would have to be the EU. It’s not just that they’re not sacking him because of his position (though I do think Brexit would make that choice incredibly difficult if was up to the Taoiseach or Tanaiste here), it’s that nobody here can fire him. He would have to resign. And can anyone actually see him being willing to do that?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Is that realistic

Less for those countries who can roll out a vaccine first maybe?
    A year maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Is that realistic

Well I don't know about the developing world but would certainly seem hard to see this going on another two years in the west with a vaccine on the cards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

Is that realistic

There's a decent chance that vaccination might do that in the 2 years. Or if not, then everyone's already been infected by then.

As long as rich countries don't restrict third world countries from being vaccinated then yes it is entirely realistic

3rd world countries need to be vaccinated? Really?

The people at risk are generally not found in 3rd world countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

So those from developing countries are more immune than developed countries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

I did vote in the election

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Polar101 wrote: »
    There's a decent chance that vaccination might do that in the 2 years. Or if not, then everyone's already been infected by then.

Not a hope everybody is infected in just two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Is that realistic

I think it was more optimistic than that. They compared it to the Spanish flu, which lasted 2 years, and said it should be less than that. We are already 6 months into it, so less than 18 months to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Can you explain that?
    3rd world countries need to be vaccinated? Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Or they have bigger problems than covid. They probably couldn't give a **** about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

He genuinely can’t be fired by Leo or MM though. It’s not up to anyone here, it would have to be the EU. It’s not just that they’re not sacking him because of his position (though I do think Brexit would make that choice incredibly difficult if was up to the Taoiseach or Tanaiste here), it’s that nobody here can fire him. He would have to resign. And can anyone actually see him being willing to do that?

Yeah I get that. It’s a fair point. But I’ve seen a number of posts saying he shouldn’t go because “it wouldn’t be in Ireland’s best interest” or “he’s actually good at his job.”

It’s a hypothetical argument because he won’t resign but neither of those two points should form the basis of anyone’s opinion or else they’re advocating a corrupt society.

niallo27 wrote:
    Or they have bigger problems than covid. They probably couldn't give a **** about it.

Oh I'm not sure about that now, India seems to be in a lot of trouble with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

This is great entertainment no matter who you support.

But for the current Administration it is a disaster.

But It is happening in High Summer and MM is in Courtmac, and Leo couldn't give a sht. either.

Mad stuff but it is the Silly Season when most commentators are away too, hoping nothing happens in their absence.

I reckon they are relying on the peasants to just shrug this off. Huh.

• Advertisement

No, not what I mean.

Life expectancy is generally under 70 in 3rd world countries, they aren't obese and covid falls down the pecking order of health concerns to the likes of poverty for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

What a cesspit we all live in. No matter what is said or done at the top its always the same zero accountability.

In this together.. Hold Firm.. makes we want to get sick.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Marty Bird wrote: »
    What a cesspit we all live in. No matter what is said or done at the top its always the same zero accountability.

In this together.. Hold Firm.. makes we want to get sick.

They have lost the public now, the restrictions mean nothing.

Life expectancy is generally under 70 in 3rd world countries and covid falls down the pecking order of health concerns to the likes of poverty for example.

Or maybe they just don't have the resources to deal with the virus, I'm sure these countries are terrified of this virus, but their health care systems are simply unable to deal with it, seems that way in India anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Its maybe just on a massively larger scale.

It appears that new cases begin to shallow out and they have 55,000 deaths right now. Thats 0.004% of their population.

I think what he's trying to say is the age structure is different in third world countries. Life expectancy is less.

Or maybe they just don't have the resources to deal with the virus, I'm sure these countries are terrified of this virus, but their health care systems are simply unable to deal with it, seems that way in India anyway

There are articles appearing which touch upon herd immunity being close in the likes of New Delhi;

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/08/millions-infected-coronavirus-delhi-survey-200821102647796.html

Which would render a vaccine pointless.

Vaccine talk is a carrot and stick way of getting the gullible masses to follow government orders a while longer. But it is only necessary for the vulnerable, in the same way the flu vaccine is given to the vulnerable each year.

It appears that new cases begin to shallow out and they have 55,000 deaths right now. Thats roughly 0.004% over their population.

But they've been unable to get on top of it, since the breakout, so I'm sure it's a major concern for them, and many other developing countries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

India's not a Developing Country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

john4321 wrote: »
    Are you sure it wasn't a different guy called Gerry Crowley?

523811.PNG

Indeed. Jerry Cowley is not on the list I can see.

• Advertisement

But they've been unable to get on top of it, since the breakout, so I'm sure it's a major concern for them, and many other developing countries

If they can't get on top of it, it will get them to herd immunity very quickly. So a vaccine would be pointless for that reason.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement