Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

It frustrates me to hear the flu comparisons.

The flu is rather dangerous, especially for children, and has lead to fatalities in babies.

Hold on. Are you saying the common flu is more dangerous than Covid19?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,988 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Dismissing it as being similar to the flu undermines the seriousness of the flu is my understanding of the post, particularly with reference to the baby deaths the flu has caused.

I'm a bit confused are you Fintan as well? I understand anyone can reply to a post but I asked a direct question to the poster.

On your own comment would you have anything to backup the post? You seem to be of the opinion the flu is more serious if I am reading it correctly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

spookwoman wrote: »

How did a resident catch it? Are staff wearing masks at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

john4321 wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused are you Fintan as well? I understand anyone can reply to a post but I asked a direct question to the poster.

On your own comment would you have anything to backup the post? You seem to be of the opinion the flu is more serious if I am reading it correctly.

Eh? No, I'm saying the data shows it is similar in that it trends towards solely impacting the elderly and vulnerable with some negligible anomalies where some deaths are not as easily explained. The data is all there, in particular

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/
    https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/casesinireland/epidemiologyofcovid-19inireland/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

"Far more serious", no it isn't. It is the flu without a vaccine for the vulnerable. The death rates in the under 70s age group are fairly low and conservatively estimated but in Ireland they are exceptionally conservative given the strict criteria around testing back in March. The data, to be clear, confirms generally that this is an old person's virus, ie over 65/70. By focusing on restricting all of society it means the net of protection is spread too thin when the focus should be shifted towards this age category.

For example, allowing people to go about their lives pretty much as normal but with strong education campaigns on protecting the elderly eg blanket requirements for elderly hours in shops, visible ads on how to interact with an elderly person to reduce a risk to them, implementing processes to ensure cases of covid for elderly persons are quickly identified so they can be treated and of course general health advice (ie wholefoods, plant based diet, no alcohol, sleep enough, lots of water, not overweight and exercise). As well, to use a mix of humour and satire as to what was said to young people getting fed up at the beginning of lockdown, maybe a campaign to guilt people into getting their granny a Netflix subscription so they can sit at home and wait it out.

Right from the start everybody knew that this was how it should have been done. And I do mean everybody. But twenty odd years of PC bolloc*s meant that no one in government was prepared to say it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Perhaps a visitor?

For some bizzare reason visitor's are allowed in nursing home's, despite the fact the residents are the only group at risk

Eh? No, I'm saying the data shows it is similar in that it trends towards solely impacting the elderly and vulnerable with some negligible anomalies where some deaths are not as easily explained. The data is all there, in particular

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/
    https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/casesinireland/epidemiologyofcovid-19inireland/

Ok so to be clear you said:

"Dismissing it as being similar to the flu undermines the seriousness of the flu"

Do you mean Covid or the common flu is more serious?

john4321 wrote: »
    Ok so to be clear you said:

"Dismissing it as being similar to the flu undermines the seriousness of the flu"

Do you mean Covid or the common flu is more serious?

Its hard to say John.

One is dangerous to children, elderly and all ages in between, and has serious lasting effects.

The median age of death from Covid in Ireland is 82 I think, only god can decide I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Masks don't stop a person spreading the virus 100%. All staff could wear masks at all times and still end up spending the disease.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Perhaps a visitor?

For some bizzare reason visitor's are allowed in nursing home's, despite the fact the residents are the only group at risk

Are visitors not wearing masks when visiting?

You have to treat everyone as if they are infected and protect the most vulnerable and wear a mask. It's basic cop on.

Are visitors not wearing masks when visiting?

You have to treat everyone as if they are infected and protect the most vulnerable and wear a mask. It's basic cop on.

They are.

But are masks completely effective 100% in protecting the vulnerable from somebody that has Covid?

I didn't think so, but someone may correct me

Its hard to say John.

One is dangerous to children, elderly and all ages in between, and has serious lasting effects.

The median age of death from Covid in Ireland is 82 I think, only god can decide I suppose

Which one are you referring to?

"One is dangerous to children, elderly and all ages in between, and has serious lasting effects."

On the second point

"The median age of death from Covid in Ireland is 82 I think, only god can decide I suppose"

What is the median age of death from the flu? Last I can see from reports in 2018 was 81 accounting for 53 deaths.

"The median age of cases who died during the
    2017/2018 influenza season was 81 years"

"In total 53 deaths were reported associated with influenza outbreaks notified during the
    2017/2018 season."

Source:

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/influenza/seasonalinfluenza/surveillance/influenzasurveillancereports/previousinfluenzaseasonssurveillancereports/20172018season/Influenza%202017-2018%20Annual%20Summary_Final.pdf

They are.

But are masks completely effective 100% in protecting the vulnerable from somebody that has Covid?

I didn't think so, but someone may correct me

There is nothing saying how the person got it. They may even have gone out for a day trip even to the hospital we don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

niallo27 wrote: »
    They have lost the public now, the restrictions mean nothing.

Tired of the effort I have to say.

Arrived in the pub tonight, only to be greeted (rightly from point of view of the pub) to the new 'rules' stating that customers should wear a mask on arrival up to where they are seated. Then masks off. Go to the loo - masks on. Leaving the pub - masks on.

In all fairness, this is bollox and any intelligent person will agree that this bullshít is pushing people away from the 'we're all in this together' idea. Arrive - wear mask for 20 seconds to table or you can't come in. Sit down, mask off enjoy the pints with your friends. Order the pizza. Go for a píss. Wait - put on a mask - in that 1 minute you might spew covid all over everyone else. Back to table. More pints (and covid saving pizza if not frozen). Leave pub - wear a damn mask damn you, God knows what could happen in those 20 seconds leaving the premises!!!!

This **** is why they've lost the public. Apologies if I've said something stupid, I've enjoyed my pints :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Arrived in the pub tonight, only to be greeted (rightly from point of view of the pub) to the new 'rules' stating that customers should wear a mask on arrival up to where they are seated. Then masks off. Go to the loo - masks on. Leaving the pub - masks on.

In all fairness, this is bollox and any intelligent person will agree that this bullshít is pushing people away from the 'we're all in this together' idea. Arrive - wear mask for 20 seconds to table or you can't come in. Sit down, mask off enjoy the pints with your friends. Order the pizza. Go for a píss. Wait - put on a mask - in that 1 minute you might spew covid all over everyone else. Back to table. More pints (and covid saving pizza if not frozen). Leave pub - wear a damn mask damn you, God knows what could happen in those 20 seconds leaving the premises!!!!

This **** is why they've lost the public. Apologies if I've said something stupid, I've enjoyed my pints :)

It’s getting more and more like some kind of a mad cult religion with these nonsensical impediments they are shoving down our throats.

Personally I’d just about turn and walk out the door if a restaurant made these demands on me on a supposed relaxing night out.

If all the restaurants start this then I’ll happily never make a reservation in the 1st place and have delivery service to my private residence and host a night myself for my guests.

dalyboy wrote: »
    It’s getting more and more like some kind of a mad cult religion with these nonsensical impediments they are shoving down our throats.

Im a repetitive old bolix but I've said before, I can see how the church had a strangle hold on Ireland for so long.

Fear

Ahh poor you. Imagine having to do this every day when dealing with covid patients
    https://twitter.com/GregAFish/status/1244043761157468160?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

when does Ireland get to the point of protests of the current decisions and a look to leadership to show us where we are going? because at the moment it seems these dopey ****ers dont have a clue... banana republic.

zero confidence in them..

Ahh poor you. Imagine having to do this every day when dealing with covid patients

Thanks, appreciate your sympathy. It's tough figuring out how the health authorities ascertained that I can sit in a pub all night having pints, but I need to wear a mask for 20 seconds to the door or the loo. But keep on fighting the good fight without debate why don't you.

I won't even go into how you've missed the point about keeping the public on side.

• Advertisement

name checks out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Or could be doing this

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Wellness/video/nurse-kala-baker-brings-joy-dancing-tiktok-69912394

Social media is a cancer on society.

Fear is the worst existence of all

copeyhagen wrote: »
    name checks out...

To quote paddy

The bravery to dance with the grim reaper walking the corridor is very brave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Myramar

I find in history the people who won't sacrifice principle are normally the ones who get most people dead.

For me dead people are worse than dead principles.
    Phill Hogan is a selfish arrogant AH. He has no principles other than surviving and feathering his own nest. We need better than this to represent us.

Social media is a cancer on society.

Fear is the worst existence of all

I realised today how toxic SM can be when I saw someone describe an 11year old child as Covid anxious , followed by another clown stressing it's a sign of maturity when the child displays a fear of passing on the virus.
    To describe such comments as f**ked up is mild.

look, cant we agree that there have been about 9 deaths in August (not deaths from July) from Covid 19, I mean, come on, lock the Country down, close the feckin off licences, be serious here people, we're in this together.

Australia, shows exactly where the cases have been and their jobs.... Ireland "45 new cases, we refuse to release details of where as thats a patient confidentiality"
    fook right off, tell us who is dying and where.. maybe the public wouldnt be so scared if they knew that the majority of deaths were and still are in nursing homes etc (sorry, im not trying to sound like they dont matter)

drip feed the information to keep joe public scared and obedient, while i go to my 81 person piss up.

To quote paddy

The bravery to dance with the grim reaper walking the corridor is very brave

Empty corridor as well. (Probably the same as the entire wards)

I realised today how toxic SM can be when I saw someone describe an 11year old child as Covid anxious , followed by another clown stressing it's a sign of maturity when the child displays a fear of passing con the virus.

Literally breeding a new breed of snowflakes that will render the current breed of snowflakes looking like Stallone. God help future generations. At the risk of sounding Monthy Python, when I was young, at 15 I was pulling trolleys in Superquinn. Today....abuse!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

I realised today how toxic SM can be when I saw someone describe an 11year old child as Covid anxious , followed by another clown stressing it's a sign of maturity when the child displays a fear of passing con the virus.

Didn't happen

• Advertisement

At the risk of sounding Monthy Python, when I was young, at 15 I was pulling trolleys in Superquinn. Today....abuse!

Is that a euphemism for something

Hold on. Are you saying the common flu is more dangerous than Covid19?
    The common flu is more dangerous than Covid 19. But we have a vaccine for the common flu. That's the difference.
    All these experts on this post are telling you, when we get a vaccine for Covid 19 then it's over.

Same thing !

gabeeg wrote: »
    Didn't happen

I suggest instead of trying to belittle the posts of others you read the one about the behaviour of the clowns in Clifton. I could name the two posters involved but I won't .

I realised today how toxic SM can be when I saw someone describe an 11year old child as Covid anxious , followed by another clown stressing it's a sign of maturity when the child displays a fear of passing on the virus.
    Didn't happen

Was it a made up story? Perhaps, but this is what I read, per Irish Times:

A person staying at the hotel with his family told the Irish Times he saw no evidence of social distancing when he witnessed the attendees arriving.

“No masks. No distancing,” said the the witness who asked that his name not be used.

He said he had to push his kids through two Oireachtas members whom he recognised to try to get to the lift.

“My 11 year old who is Covid anxious was hugely upset. The hotel has been brilliant all week on all Covid aspects. This was a really strange event with all that in mind.

“At the reception people were being introduced to each other and shaking hands. No distancing and no masks. We were flabbergasted.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Myramar wrote: »
    Phill Hogan is a selfish arrogant AH. He has no pricilp[es other than surviving and feathering his own nest. We need better than this to represent us.

Politics is a super lucrative career, so you get career politicians. Politics and the appeal to represent and help your fellow citizens should be first... there is a dearth in talent, from TD to Taoiseach and everything else besides....covid has shown this even more.. we do need better,, but when all you have to choose from is a devil or a monster..

copeyhagen wrote: »
    look, cant we agree that there have been about 9 deaths in August (not deaths from July) from Covid 19, I mean, come on, lock the Country down, close the feckin off licences, be serious here people, we're in this together.

Australia, shows exactly where the cases have been and their jobs.... Ireland "45 new cases, we refuse to release details of where as thats a patient confidentiality"
    fook right off, tell us who is dying and where.. maybe the public wouldnt be so scared if they knew that the majority of deaths were and still are in nursing homes etc (sorry, im not trying to sound like they dont matter)

drip feed the information to keep joe public scared and obedient, while i go to my 81 person piss up.

I just wonder , if there’s no significant deaths number increases by the end of August will people (even the sheep) start to ask “is this over”.

The government at this stage will be clutching at straws as it will be a clear casedemic (ref mr Cummins) NOT pandemic.

I always remember the end of the wizard of oz . ‘Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain” ....... the great government has spoken (and is a clown show)

A person staying at the hotel with his family told the Irish Times he saw no evidence of social distancing when he witnessed the attendees arriving.

“No masks. No distancing,” said the the witness who asked that his name not be used.

He said he had to push his kids through two Oireachtas members whom he recognised to try to get to the lift.

“My 11 year old who is Covid anxious was hugely upset. The hotel has been brilliant all week on all Covid aspects. This was a really strange event with all that in mind.

“At the reception people were being introduced to each other and shaking hands. No distancing and no masks. We were flabbergasted.”

Forget the meat plants and nursing home testing. Get the testing kits into Dáil Éireann now .... haha , only joking , these guys all know about the real score of this damp squib virus

Personally I’d just about turn and walk out the door if a restaurant made these demands on me on a supposed relaxing night out.

If all the restaurants start this then I’ll happily never make a reservation in the 1st place and have delivery service to my private residence and host a night myself for my guests.
    Thanks, appreciate your sympathy. It's tough figuring out how the health authorities ascertained that I can sit in a pub all night having pints, but I need to wear a mask for 20 seconds to the door or the loo. But keep on fighting the good fight without debate why don't you.

I won't even go into how you've missed the point about keeping the public on side.
    Literally breeding a new breed of snowflakes that will render the current breed of snowflakes looking like Stallone. God help future generations. At the risk of sounding Monthy Python, when I was young, at 15 I was pulling trolleys in Superquinn. Today....abuse!
    At the risk of sounding Monthy Python, when I was young, at 15 I was pulling trolleys in Superquinn. Today....abuse!
    Is that a euphemism for something

Ok, as shown above, your clever attempt at partial quoting to imply something bizarre is, to be honest, a bit pathetic. But if that's all you can come back with to support your argument that I am incorrect in debating that wearing a mask for 20 seconds to the door or the loo is somehow some major we are all in this together health initiative, while it's ok to spend the night drinking and eating, well... ok then.

Forget the meat plants and nursing home testing. Get the testing kits into Dáil Éireann now .... haha , only joking , these guys all know about the real score of this damp squib virus

Sure it was all caused by 5G :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    Politics is a super lucrative career, so you get career politicians. Politics and the appeal to represent and help your fellow citizens should be first... there is a dearth in talent, from TD to Taoiseach and everything else besides....covid has shown this even more.. we do need better,, but when all you have to choose from is a devil or a monster..
    Hogan is neither a Devil or Monster. Either would requre effort on his part. He is a Leech, an Opportunist. he will never resign for this, he couldn't care less about public opinion in Ireland.

"Covid Anxious"

11 years old

Society under serious pressure

Ok, as shown above, your clever attempt at partial quoting to imply something bizarre is, to be honest, a bit pathetic. But if that's all you can come back with to support your argument that I am incorrect in debating that wearing a mask for 20 seconds to the door or the loo is somehow some major we are all in this together health initiative, while it's ok to spend the night drinking and eating, well... ok then.

I am not an expert on how virus's are spread are you?

I am not an expert /quote]

I wholeheartedly agree, however sometimes your posts seem to suggest otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

If you've got a kid that's 11 years old or so that is not anxious about a pandemic, then you're a really, really crap parent.

Haha OMG.

• Advertisement

Absolutely not. But anyone with a shred of common sense could determine that if you are going to spend a couple of hours in a pub with a couple of hundred other people (notwithstanding social distancing) without a mask while eating and drinking, putting on a mask for the literal 20 seconds to your table, or putting on a mask to go to the loo, and putting on a mask for the literal 20 seconds to leave, is simply bollox. No viral expertise necessary!

Haha OMG.

Oh lord

If you've got a kid that's 11 years old or so that is not anxious about a pandemic, then you're a really, really crap parent.

Fear is good , GOOD .... fear ... fear.... hey 11 year old ... you are going to die of a damp squid virus . It’s going to kill all your family.... Fear ..... now child go to bed scared and sleep sound sweetie.... enjoy learning while scared in school tomorrow.... we are all going to die .... night night.

Are you for real ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Taking the mask off and putting it back is probably also a higher risk, than no mask in that particular situation. Are they blind not to see that? Probably

Absolutely not. But anyone with a shred of common sense could determine that if you are going to spend a couple of hours in a pub with a couple of hundred other people (notwithstanding social distancing) without a mask while eating and drinking, putting on a mask for the literal 20 seconds to your table, or putting on a mask to go to the loo, and putting on a mask for the literal 20 seconds to leave, is simply bollox. No viral expertise necessary!
    You are right. And sadly this is where we have come to. Every day now the government seem to feel a need to be "Seen to be doing something" whilst at the same time realising that they have to let people get on with life which is essentially risky behaviour from a Covid point of view. The rules get more and more absurd as a result.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement