Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

[QUOTE=Strumms;114384609]Politics is a super lucrative career, so you get career politicians. Politics and the appeal to represent and help your fellow citizens should be first... there is a dearth in talent, from TD to Taoiseach and everything else besides....covid has shown this even more.. we do need better,, but when all you have to choose from is a devil or a monster..[/QUOTE]

Like this guy

new_statesman.jpg

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

john4321 wrote: »
    Which one are you referring to?

"One is dangerous to children, elderly and all ages in between, and has serious lasting effects."

On the second point

"The median age of death from Covid in Ireland is 82 I think, only god can decide I suppose"

What is the median age of death from the flu? Last I can see from reports in 2018 was 81 accounting for 53 deaths.

"The median age of cases who died during the
    2017/2018 influenza season was 81 years"

"In total 53 deaths were reported associated with influenza outbreaks notified during the
    2017/2018 season."

Source:

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/influenza/seasonalinfluenza/surveillance/influenzasurveillancereports/previousinfluenzaseasonssurveillancereports/20172018season/Influenza%202017-2018%20Annual%20Summary_Final.pdf
    Im a repetitive old bolix but I've said before, I can see how the church had a strangle hold on Ireland for so long.

Fear

Any thoughts on my post or just throwing out soundbites?

Also can you explain this latest post about fear? Do you not think people instead decided to do what was right to protect each other by following medical guidance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭dalyboy

speckle wrote: »
    Taking the mask off and putting it back is probably also a higher risk, than no mask in that particular situation. Are they blind not to see that? Probably

I’m lost on all this, I trIED to live life applying logic to my personal , professional and social life and up to 6 months ago was doing quite well at this attempt.

I just wish someone would write a book listing all of the logical fallacies that have been placed on us in the last 6 months.

It would read like the encyclopedia Britannica by the time it would be finished. And the best bit is the list is getting bigger and bigger and bigger by the day....

Would make an amazing comedy if it wasn’t real life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Has the nation hit some watershed moment today?

It’d be about bloody time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Lead by example.

What do you suggest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

dalyboy wrote: »
    Fear is good , GOOD .... fear ... fear.... hey 11 year old ... you are going to die of a damp squid virus . It’s going to kill all your family.... Fear ..... now child go to bed scared and sleep sound sweetie.... enjoy learning while scared in school tomorrow.... we are all going to die .... night night.

Are you for real ?

The poster you quoted never mentions fear. Anxious they did mention. I don’t think anyone in the country hasn’t endured moments of anxiety during this fûcked up time...anxiety is an emotional reaction to a situation, natural, it’s good...

Lead by example.

What do you suggest?

I’ve a 6 year old who could probably have done a better job so far tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

gabeeg wrote: »
    If you've got a kid that's 11 years old or so that is not anxious about a pandemic, then you're a really, really crap parent.

Bull****. I’m sure most parents don’t or shouldn’t define themselves by that. I think you are projecting your own covidphobia.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Good night, laddies. Shift is over.

• Advertisement

I’ve a 6 year old who could probably have done a better job so far tbh.

Agree.

So what's your plan?

I’m lost on all this, I trIED to live life applying logic to my personal , professional and social life and up to 6 months ago was doing quite well at this attempt.

I just wish someone would write a book listing all of the logical fallacies that have been placed on us in the last 6 months.

It would read like the encyclopedia Britannica by the time it would be finished. And the best bit is the list is getting bigger and bigger and bigger by the day....

Would make an amazing comedy if it wasn’t real life

Just use your personal responsibility and knowledge.

Never rely on other people.

Strumms wrote: »
    The poster you quoted never mentions fear. Anxious they did mention. I don’t think anyone in the country hasn’t endured moments of anxiety during this fûcked up time...anxiety is an emotional reaction to a situation, natural, it’s good...

It’s not good. I’d go so far as to say it’s physiological abuse. A child has no shades of grey between contentment and fear. This situation is no excuse to impart hysteria onto a child and will lead to Unnecessary long term trauma. Is this good ? I’m no doctor Spock but I know it’s 100% NOT

Question is why would you want a child anxious ? How is that productive for a child? This virus will not impact a child’s health (predominantly an 82+ yr old CFR) and parents are under the age of concern so they’re ok too (unless we want to equate being struck by lightning odds to this assertion)

Now I’ll concede this. If this was a killer virus of children then all bets are off. I’d have hand dug a bunker in my garden and there the child will live till all clear however this is not the case so que sera sera is the order of the day to have healthy minds for children albeit with injection of temporary “oddness“ (Sold as a bit of fun to the child) of masks , queues at shops etc

“Covid anxious“ , sounds like a made up term from the dredges of hell . No thank you

Just use your personal responsibility and knowledge.

Never rely on other people.

For someone who is so generous with their leadership advise as yourself I’m surprised you have not imparted your wise mind to such a task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Im a repetitive old bolix but I've said before, I can see how the church had a strangle hold on Ireland for so long.

Fear

I totally agree with the first half of your statement there , Fintan .

Thanks, appreciate your sympathy. It's tough figuring out how the health authorities ascertained that I can sit in a pub all night having pints, but I need to wear a mask for 20 seconds to the door or the loo. But keep on fighting the good fight without debate why don't you.

I won't even go into how you've missed the point about keeping the public on side.

Well that would be the time when you couldn't safely distance from others in the pub and as that's such a strain sure why do you bother going out at all ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Goldengirl wrote: »
    I totally agree with the first half of your statement there , Fintan .

As in Im a repetitive old bolix?!!

As in Im a repetitive old bolix?!!

You really shouldn't be so hard on yourself! ;)

Can't stay to chat ..a lot of nasty stuff on this thread tonight so just thought I'd run with it.

Amazing how weekend nights are so mean...I suppose people are on after a few scoops and it doesn't always suit them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

"Covid Anxious"

11 years old

Society under serious pressure

I wonder who and what made them anxious, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Fear is good , GOOD .... fear ... fear.... hey 11 year old ... you are going to die of a damp squid virus . It’s going to kill all your family.... Fear ..... now child go to bed scared and sleep sound sweetie.... enjoy learning while scared in school tomorrow.... we are all going to die .... night night.

Are you for real ?

Hahaha

Anyone else want to tell him or can I :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Not having a go at you but some of the morons that attended that event were party to the implementation of new restrictions. The restrictions they broke were old. Although it appears Hogan broke one of the newer ones.
    As for Nphet I disagree with alot of the restrictions they have put forward. The point is though if the people we elect place restrictions on our lives in my opinion they better subject themselves to them aswell.

The restrictions they broke were not ‘old’. They made a lot of effort to ensure they complied. The problem was the rules were changed again on Monday.

I run an events company. Let me assure you, it’s an absolute nightmare trying to interpret the ever changing rules. They are short on logic, ambiguous and ill defined.

For example, a dinner ‘event’ can’t happen but a restaurant can serve dinner to up to 50 people.....

Read the article in the Indo this morning. These people were assured everything was in line with the restrictions, the hotel checked with the IHF and the IHF checked with the HSE.

And yet we have a nasty bastard of a doctor calling for them all to be fired and never work in public life again.

This country is hysterical. And turning very ugly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I realised today how toxic SM can be when I saw someone describe an 11year old child as Covid anxious , followed by another clown stressing it's a sign of maturity when the child displays a fear of passing on the virus. .

Says more about the parents than the kids, if they are anxious and stressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Diarmuid wrote:
    Says more about the parents than the kids, if they are anxious and stressed.

It doesn't really, some kids are naturally hard wired for anxiety and stress, and it's kinna hard to escape covid world, unless you live in the wild

john4321 wrote: »
    Are you sure it wasn't a different guy called Gerry Crowley?

523811.PNG

Apologies to Jerry Cowley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

I wonder what judges ministers, tds, councillors and bankers would have been discussing at their party?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Excellent article by Aoife Grace Moore. Sums up how the majority of the country are feeling and thinking.
    https://twitter.com/aoifegracemoore/status/1297059323655397376?s=21

Why can't they just shut the meat factories until they all have their house in order?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Excellent article by Aoife Grace Moore. Sums up how the majority of the country are feeling and thinking.
    https://twitter.com/aoifegracemoore/status/1297059323655397376?s=21

Get on with it aoife!!

Mass hysteria over a dinner.

Can we have a discussion about how covid has been overhyped ?
    Country on its knees and life restricted for a virus that in majority of cases does nothing to people except give them the sniffles.
    Wheres the end game?
    How long must this go on for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    It doesn't really, some kids are naturally hard wired for anxiety and stress, and it's kinna hard to escape covid world, unless you live in the wild

Given that particular parents comments to the paper, it would seem they are of a similar mindset. And also, it's a parents job to alleviate that hardwiting as much as they can.

Get on with it aoife!!

Country on its knees and life restricted for a virus that in majority of cases does nothing to people except give them the sniffles.
    Wheres the end game?

For another year at least. Get used to it.

• Advertisement

6 wrote: »
    For another year at least. Get used to it.

What happens in a year? Other than economic collapse

What happens in a year? Other than economic collapse

I'm no expert, same as yourself. Leave it to them and worry about things you can control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Get on with it aoife!!

Wheres the end game?

You actually don't have a clue. What about the inflammation around the heart, lesions and scarring on the lungs that are being reported. Not too sure about yourself but as a 33 year old a virus with unknown future effects is not something I'm willing to catch.

It will go on until there's vaccine or an adequate amount of immunity is gained. Therefore a long time yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

gabeeg wrote: »
    If you've got a kid that's 11 years old or so that is not anxious about a pandemic, then you're a really, really crap parent.

Nonsense. Instilling anxiety into a kid so young is hugely problematic to their mental development.

I'm no expert, same as yourself. Leave it to them and worry about things you can control.

That is good advice and is what I have been doing.

I have been listening to the experts, Luke O Neill on Pat Kenny.

This virus is no where near as dangerous as they thought early March.

80 positive case in a meat factory, 78 asymptomatic

Vaccine maybe in 1-3 years, less that 50 of people will take it according to surveys.

Patience will end way before the virus.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    You actually don't have a clue. What about the inflammation around the heart, lesions and scarring on the lungs that are being reported. Not too sure about yourself but as a 33 year old a virus with unknown future effects is not something I'm willing to catch.

It will go on until there's vaccine or an adequate amount of immunity is gained. Therefore a long time yet.

What's about the vast majority who have no symptoms?

Ya there are side effects for some but most people will/have sailed through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Apparently there's a march in Dublin today. An anti mask and anti lockdown march.

Why would someone be anti-mask? I don't like them but in closed, tight environments where social distancing can't be maintained, what harm are masks doing? Like, public transport would be one area.

To be anti lockdown and anti-mask, both together, what do the organisers want? Have people mingling close with no precautions and encourage the spread disease?

owlbethere wrote: »
    Apparently there's a march in Dublin today. An anti mask and anti lockdown march.

Why would someone be anti-mask? I don't like them but in closed, tight environments where social distancing can't be maintained, what harm are masks doing? Like, public transport would be one area.

To be anti lockdown and anti-mask, both together, what do the organisers want? Have people mingling close with no precautions and encourage the spread disease?

Because their f*cking idiots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭celt262

owlbethere wrote: »

There was one in Cavan town yesterday loads of tri colours and banners not that anyone was given them much attention.

That is good advice and is what I have been doing.

I have been listening to the experts, Luke O Neill on Pat Kenny.

This virus is no where near as dangerous as they thought early March.

80 positive case in a meat factory, 78 asymptomatic

Vaccine maybe in 1-3 years, less that 50 of people will take it according to surveys.

Patience will end way before the virus.

Effective treatments in hospitals will come first and the death rate will fall. Fear will then subside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Get on with it aoife!!

Wheres the end game?

In the last 2 weeks more people have died on our roads than from Covid in the same period, we should close the roads outside working hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Can anyone help me with this query . I get a weekly Covid pop up on my I phone . If i open my phone with no glasses on I can only barely see that its the Covid pop up .By the time I get my glasses on its disappeared and I cant read .This is now the third pop up and I could only read one because I was already on my phone when it came .The others times I know its a Covid alert but I dont know what it said .How do I see it or read it again please ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Onesea wrote: »
    I wonder what judges ministers, tds, councillors and bankers would have been discussing at their party?

“Do you think it is better fun in the other room”?

“This partition stuff is great. I must recommend it to my niece for her wedding”.

“Dreadful speeches”.

“Not enough salad on the menu in the Dail”

“The Seats in the Docklands Dail are very comfortable.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

In the last 2 weeks more people have died on our roads than from Covid in the same period, we should close the roads outside working hours.

Good thinking. Or perhaps better halve the speed limit in that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

ChikiChiki wrote: »

We haven't much hope of getting adequate immunity for a long long time if the people for whom the virus has almost no impact are unwilling to risk catching it *.

* Might be a stupid point of view, but it seems to be me we are in a bit of a limbo. Neither doing anywhere near enough to eradicate it nor making any effort to build up immunity in the proportion of the population for whom the risk is negligible.
    Looks like all our eggs are in the vaccine basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

3rd world countries need to be vaccinated? Really?

The people at risk are generally not found in 3rd world countries.

What??? Latin American countries have absurdly high covid death tolls given how young the countries are, Peru and Mexico are likely the first countries to lose over 0.1% of their populations to covid based on excess deaths. Malnutrition clearly puts young people at high risk of covid complications , otherwise the epidemics would have ended long ago in South Asia and Latin America if the only at risk group was the same as those affected in the west

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Effective treatments in hospitals will come first and the death rate will fall. Fear will then subside.

That's happening already. The fear game is moving on to long term side effects.

I agree, I guess I'm just further down the road and no longer fear it.

Good chat ðŸ‘

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Can anyone help me with this query . I get a weekly Covid pop up on my I phone . If i open my phone with no glasses on I can only barely see that its the Covid pop up .By the time I get my glasses on its disappeared and I cant read .This is now the third pop up and I could only read one because I was already on my phone when it came .The others times I know its a Covid alert but I dont know what it said .How do I see it or read it again please ?

If you are android then it’s likely just the weekly report. There are separate notifications for an actual contact

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

iamwhoiam wrote: »

I don't know what your message is. When I turn off Bluetooth I get a pop up message saying

Exposure notifications inactive. It recommends to turn Bluetooth on again.

I wonder would it be that, for you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement