Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

owlbethere wrote: »
    I don't know what your message is. When I turn off Bluetooth I get a pop up message saying

Exposure notifications inactive. It recommends to turn Bluetooth on again.

I wonder would it be that, for you?

The one message I could read because I already had my glasses on was to say
    " You have been in no contact with a known Covid case " or something like that

PS .I just found this information online and a contact alert would be red and saved in the app
    https://covidtracker.gov.ie/how-the-app-works/#close-contact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Good thinking. Or perhaps better halve the speed limit in that time.

Good suggestion, why don't we do it though. I'm sure it would save many lives and maybe jail time time for speeding or 2 or 3k fines. It would save a hell of a lot of lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

How big are the protests in Dublin that have been mentioned on here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

That is good advice and is what I have been doing.

I have been listening to the experts, Luke O Neill on Pat Kenny.

This virus is no where near as dangerous as they thought early March.

80 positive case in a meat factory, 78 asymptomatic

Vaccine maybe in 1-3 years, less that 50 of people will take it according to surveys.

Patience will end way before the virus.

And what the **** would he know.
    Masks don't work.
    "unnecessary panic."
    "no need to wear a face mask"
    "they've seen too many horror movies"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

El Sueño wrote: »
    The fact that they went from "it'll be here forever" to "it'll be over in two years" has to be a positive!

Can we at least get the quote right this is what the WHO actually said.
    The head of the World Health Organisation has said he hopes the coronavirus pandemic will be over in two years.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/who-coronavirus-pandemic-over-2-years-a4530841.html

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

bb1234567 wrote: »
    What??? Latin American countries have absurdly high covid death tolls given how young the countries are, Peru and Mexico are likely the first countries to lose over 0.1% of their populations to covid based on excess deaths. Malnutrition clearly puts young people at high risk of covid complications , otherwise the epidemics would have ended long ago in South Asia and Latin America if the only at risk group was the same as those affected in the west

Latin America has a high rate of obesity - some states in Mexico have just banned the sale of junk food to under 18s. They also have a large population working in the black economy, so there was no question of self isolating if sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

And what the **** would he know.
    Masks don't work.
    "unnecessary panic."
    "no need to wear a face mask"
    "they've seen too many horror movies"

WTF would he know, he's not taking into account the improper use of them and hasn't warned about the dangers associated with them. Mandatory masks in all shops for healthy people is complete nonsense. There is very little research on them outside of a laboratory. If you want to look at real world analysis look here https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/masking-lack-of-evidence-with-politics/

Professor Hennigan is an advisory to the WHO and also was a speaker at the last Covid response Government meeting, he called up Scally on his bull**** about masks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

What's about the vast majority who have no symptoms?

Ya there are side effects for some but most people will/have sailed through it.

There are likely side effects for some of the people that have no symptoms, they just haven't been checked in great detail for them yet. Who knows when the issues will present themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

niallo27 wrote: »
    Good suggestion, why don't we do it though. I'm sure it would save many lives and maybe jail time time for speeding or 2 or 3k fines. It would save a hell of a lot of lives.

Better for the environment also. Reducing the speed limit by 20km significantly reduces emissions.

https://www.eea.europa.eu/themes/transport/speed-limits-fuel-consumption-and

To keep on topic, less journeys would slow down the spread of Covid particularly if a car full of Covid infected dubs were heading down to Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭obi604

Does anyone know if Costa Coffee shops are open or is it like a Debenhams scenario?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

obi604 wrote: »
    Does anyone know Costa Coffee shops are open or is it like a Debenhams scenario?

My local one is, took them a while to get back though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    There are likely side effects for some of the people that have no symptoms, they just haven't been checked in great detail for them yet. Who knows when the issues will present themselves.

Why?

WTF would he know, he's not taking into account the improper use of them and hasn't warned about the dangers associated with them. Mandatory masks in all shops for healthy people is complete nonsense. There is very little research on them outside of a laboratory. If you want to look at real world analysis look here https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/masking-lack-of-evidence-with-politics/

Professor Hennigan is an advisory to the WHO and also was a speaker at the last Covid response Government meeting, he called up Scally on his bull**** about masks.

That guy is a legend. May help me change my mind again about another lockdown.

robbiezero wrote: »
    Why?

You'll have to ask the virus that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

robbiezero wrote: »
    Why?

You need to read this

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058106473/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Absolutely not. But anyone with a shred of common sense could determine that if you are going to spend a couple of hours in a pub with a couple of hundred other people (notwithstanding social distancing) without a mask while eating and drinking, putting on a mask for the literal 20 seconds to your table, or putting on a mask to go to the loo, and putting on a mask for the literal 20 seconds to leave, is simply bollox. No viral expertise necessary!
    The pubs aren’t open, it’s restaurants that are open, pubs that happen to also be restaurants are allowed to open too, as restaurants not pubs. The public health authorities have decided to refuse permission to allow people to spend hours in a pub surrounded by hundreds of other people. It’s 90 minutes in a restaurant with a max of 50 other people in the premises together

The fact that lots of pubs are taking the piss
    Is not the fault of expert advise,

The only reason masks are not required in restaurants or cafes is because you can’t eat or drink while wearing a mask. You can however walk and piss while wearing a mask so it is perfectly sensible to require people to wear masks while moving through large groups of people in an indoor setting

BTW if it takes you ‘literally 20 seconds’ to arrive at a restaurant, await to be seated, walk to your table, remove your coat and sit down, then you’re moving too fast you maniac, slow down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

They're due to happen today I think. A small minority who think they're the majority. They're also anti mask and spout ****e like, "let's throw the government out".

GooglePlus wrote: »
    They're due to happen today I think. A small minority who think they're the majority. They're also anti mask and spout ****e like, "let's throw the government out".

While they might be extremists, getting media coverage with a public that is more and more frustrated is a recipe for trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

ted3.jpg

• Advertisement

I do listen to him and don't take him for a fool but he was completely wrong to push masks as hard as he did, it undermined NPHET as they were very concerned about improper use which is widespread. Cillian De Gascun spoke publicly about his concerns. It was a knee jerk reaction to the media and was unnecessary.
    What about another lockdown, is he looking for one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Another great clip.

https://youtu.be/wpCQRH5Uzzo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I am always amused how these Zero-COVID zealots protest about being misrepresented. Could that be a communications issue? Decisive lockdowns for 1-2 months? He doesn't strike me as wanting an honest conversation, just one where he's right. If he's really being honest he needs to put a timeframe on how long these rolling lockdowns would go on and let people know that it involves all but going back to March. As we know even this kind of approach, short of a Wuhan complete shutdown, offers no guarantees.

While they might be extremists, getting media coverage with a public that is more and more frustrated is a recipe for trouble.

There expecting trouble, heavy handed Guards could do lot of damage today if they go after people breaking the 15 people gathered outside rule today.
    They have to be very careful how they mange this, there expecting the pro maskers to turn up and cause trouble.
    Should be a hoot to watch, what time is kick off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

gabeeg wrote: »

I’m 70% sure I had Covid back in March, my wife was very sick for weeks with Covid symptoms on the HSE testing queue but dropped due to the backlog and delay

Anyway, I had v. mild symptoms but noticed my exercise tolerance took a huge hit for months afterwards, I went for a 5 mile cycle and almost collapsed on an uphill section. Had to sit down for 10 minutes to catch my breath

It’s recovered a fair bit since then, been able to jog and cycle and did a bit of surfing over the summer but still not back to the level I was at before March.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

"Far more serious", no it isn't. It is the flu without a vaccine for the vulnerable. The death rates in the under 70s age group are fairly low and conservatively estimated but in Ireland they are exceptionally conservative given the strict criteria around testing back in March. The data, to be clear, confirms generally that this is an old person's virus, ie over 65/70. By focusing on restricting all of society it means the net of protection is spread too thin when the focus should be shifted towards this age category.

For example, allowing people to go about their lives pretty much as normal but with strong education campaigns on protecting the elderly eg blanket requirements for elderly hours in shops, visible ads on how to interact with an elderly person to reduce a risk to them, implementing processes to ensure cases of covid for elderly persons are quickly identified so they can be treated and of course general health advice (ie wholefoods, plant based diet, no alcohol, sleep enough, lots of water, not overweight and exercise). As well, to use a mix of humour and satire as to what was said to young people getting fed up at the beginning of lockdown, maybe a campaign to guilt people into getting their granny a Netflix subscription so they can sit at home and wait it out.

Thousands of scientists confidently came to a consensus of an IFR of 0.65% globally at a WHO conference. You are simply wrong to compare it to an unvaccinated flu. If this comment by you is said to have any validity then we are in the realm of regarding opinion as equal to scientifically backed research. To compare it to flu is a dismissal of science , anti vaxxer level of nonsense that seems to crop up on here daily .

Yes the affected demographic is the same as flu, but covid affects them much more seriously, hence the higher IFR. Some posters seem to have extreme difficulty comprehending this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Akrasia wrote: »
    I’m 70% sure I had Covid back in March, my wife was very sick for weeks with Covid symptoms on the HSE testing queue but dropped due to the backlog and delay

Anyway, I had v. mild symptoms but noticed my exercise tolerance took a huge hit for months afterwards, I went for a 5 mile cycle and almost collapsed on an uphill section. Had to sit down for 10 minutes to catch my breath

It’s recovered a fair bit since then, been able to jog and cycle and did a bit of surfing over the summer but still not back to the level I was at before March.

Sounds like you're on the path to full recovery, but you might want to get a check up.

How's your wife?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Renjit wrote: »
    The fine print below the headline is interesting :pac:

I wonder was there much infection rate among sex workers?

A friend of mine was asking

A lot of them are furloughed!

Renjit wrote: »
    The fine print below the headline is interesting :pac:

I noticed that yesterday. Did not realise that was a formal cultural attraction in Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

They were asking them to wear masks a few weeks ago, I thought some of clients paid for that already:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

shinzon wrote: »
    Can we at least get the quote right this is what the WHO actually said.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/who-coronavirus-pandemic-over-2-years-a4530841.html

Shin

I think it's fair to say you're splitting hairs there a bit!

• Advertisement

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.generon.ie/read/newsletter-26/covid-19-saliva-test-in-1-hour-2293.html&ved=2ahUKEwic_o2wyq7rAhWGT8AKHUIoCvIQFjAJegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw2dQ0YAhTs3wcjEi_MVu4-Y&cshid=1598091850670

Why doesn't the government pay private companies like these to send out these new saliva test kits to every household in the country once a month?

Doesn't require a visit to a lab, kits are posted out and sent back to labs.

They were able to send out those stupid postcards why not covid tests?

If the household doesn't do the test there is a financial penalty or even pay people to do tests or a reduction in TV licence?

We will pick up all those people with no symptoms who can then quarantine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

Couple of observations about #golfgate. It sounds like there was a degree of confusion and uncertainty, but for some people it was going ahead come hell or high water. New restrictions had come into force which made the event unambiguously off limits.

There's two ways of looking at these restrictions. Either you follow them in their spirit, in which case an event like this was always a crazy idea, or you try to unpick the minutiae of the rules to find a "way around" them. I've been guilty of that myself as have many people, but it's a really bad look for politicians and judges. Reminds me of the old saying: "when in doubt ... do the right thing".

I remember a couple of years ago in a small bar in the West of Ireland I recognised a Dublin TD sitting at the bar chatting to anyone who would chat to him. At the stroke of 11:59pm he stood up, left his drink and walked out the door. That's what goes with the territory now for better or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Akrasia wrote: »
    The pubs aren’t open, it’s restaurants that are open, pubs that happen to also be restaurants are allowed to open too, as restaurants not pubs. The public health authorities have decided to refuse permission to allow people to spend hours in a pub surrounded by hundreds of other people. It’s 90 minutes in a restaurant with a max of 50 other people in the premises together

The fact that lots of pubs are taking the piss
    Is not the fault of expert advise,

The only reason masks are not required in restaurants or cafes is because you can’t eat or drink while wearing a mask. You can however walk and piss while wearing a mask so it is perfectly sensible to require people to wear masks while moving through large groups of people in an indoor setting

BTW if it takes you ‘literally 20 seconds’ to arrive at a restaurant, await to be seated, walk to your table, remove your coat and sit down, then you’re moving too fast you maniac, slow down

We are now in a bizarre world where the absolutely ludicrous is the norm.

when is a pub not a pub? when it’s a pub being a restaurant!

When is it okay to eat with 49 other people? When it’s in a pub pretending yo be a restaurant, but not if you attend a meal with a group in restaurant in a golf club?

Then it’s ‘Let’s fire them all and recall the national parliament.’

What an absolute joke.

Ignorance, drama, hype, terror everywhere.

I am just back from a few days in Rome. It was lovely.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.generon.ie/read/newsletter-26/covid-19-saliva-test-in-1-hour-2293.html&ved=2ahUKEwic_o2wyq7rAhWGT8AKHUIoCvIQFjAJegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw2dQ0YAhTs3wcjEi_MVu4-Y&cshid=1598091850670

Why doesn't the government pay private companies like these to send out these new saliva test kits to every household in the country once a month?

Doesn't require a visit to a lab, kits are posted out and sent back to labs.

They were able to send out those stupid postcards why not covid tests?

If the household doesn't do the test there is a financial penalty or even pay people to do tests or a reduction in TV licence?

We will pick up all those people with no symptoms who can then quarantine.
    Not a government call. It would be De Gascun, the NVRl and the DoH/HSE recommendations. They've mentioned different tests at different times. It's all down to how reliable they think they are.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Not a government call. It would be De Gascun, the NVRl and the DoH/HSE recommendations. They've mentioned different tests at different times. It's all down to how reliable they think they are.

De Gascun on holidays tweeting.

We are a small country of 5 million people couldn't be that hard.

Testing is worse than it was two months ago in the height of a pandemic not good enough.

Very uninspiring government/HSE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

I wonder are people taking the piss with the app. Last few days 100% of people checking in have zero symptoms. I know that’s possible but 250,000/300,000 check in each day and none have symptoms...

I heard that many people that have covid19 symptoms dont want to be tested, because insurance companies are becoming more reluctant to sell life insurance to people who have had this dose, and you cant get a mortgage without life insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Santy2015 wrote: »
    I wonder are people taking the piss with the app. Last few days 100% of people checking in have zero symptoms. I know that’s possible but 250,000/300,000 check in each day and none have symptoms...

I presume it just rounds to the nearest whole number, rather that there being literally nobody with symptoms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I heard that many people that have covid19 symptoms dont want to be tested, because insurance companies are becoming more reluctant to sell life insurance to people who have had this dose, and you cant get a mortgage without life insurance.

Yes heard this too.

Is it possible to use a burner name when having the test done or do they insist on verifying your identification?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭gifted

Yes heard this too.

Is it possible to use a burner name when having the test done or do they insist on verifying your identification?

Something like Jason Bourne?...lol lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The virus detected in 41 schools in Germany according to RTE Radio, a fun week leading in to the schools reopening here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

You can nearly guarantee insurance companies will use a positive test to load your premium. Life insurance and health insurance. So many unknowns in the long term for those who have recovered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Mortgage protection assurance is slightly different but I am shocked that insurance companies are doing that.

De Gascun on holidays tweeting.

We are a small country of 5 million people couldn't be that hard.

Testing is worse than it was two months ago in the height of a pandemic not good enough.

Very uninspiring government/HSE.

More tests processed in yesterday’s numbers than at any other stage in the pandemic. 60,000 tests in the last 7 days. Given 760,000 have been processing since this started nearly 6 months ago, the current rate of testing is a way ahead of the level seen earlier in the pandemic

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement